THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: QC: Behind the Scenes  (Read 56209 times)

ChaosWolf

• Obscure cultural reference
Re: QC: Behind the Scenes
« Reply #150 on: 17 Aug 2013, 22:38 »

LEWIS BLACK (Voice of PINTSIZE): "Why are you asking ME about this?"

I had always pictured Lewis Black as the voice of Yelling Bird.

He's both, they just pitch the playback a bit higher and run it through one of those filter things they used for the G1 Transformers cartoon, for Pintsize's lines.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #151 on: 08 Nov 2013, 06:57 »

MARTEN: "So, yeah, I've only been on the strip on-and-off lately, mostly because I've been working so much on the new album. Jeph was actually excited that we got to do a full studio album, but not as much as I was - especially now that I can play that 10-string he's had me playing in-strip for so long.

"Anyways... between going in to do mixing and dubs, I've had my hands full. I can only come back to the set when I can, and Jeph's been working around it. Amir and I have actually talked about doing a tour, but Jeph really hasn't been able to figure out how he'd work it into the script.

"Oh, and for those of you who were wondering about mom? She's doing fine. The surgery went well, and she's going to be back up and lecturing at Stanford in a few weeks. She blames it on inattentiveness, being a klutz, and not caring much for the BART system."
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2013, 05:37 by jwhouk »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

UniqueNewYork

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #152 on: 08 Nov 2013, 17:32 »

This thread is magical.
Data:
>"I will always be puzzled by the human predilection for piloting vehicles at unsafe velocities."
Picard, later:
>"Well, Data, time for some unsafe velocities..."

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #153 on: 09 Nov 2013, 04:09 »

I try. There are just so many avenues we can take things.

I don't know if I could do an Emily BTS bio, though. The "acts weird onscreen/serious and studious off" is an old trope.
Just another Joe like 46

Schmee

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #154 on: 09 Nov 2013, 04:31 »

What if Emily's actor is really self-centred and resentful and wants a 'serious' character? She's worried about getting typecast as a kooky assistant all her life in shows she personally hates, and her dream is to be the lead in an epic romance (she isn't getting any offers yet, or in the foreseeable future). I can see her chain-smoking off-set and shouting at a sound assistant who is actually better-paid than her, and making disparaging remarks about "comic relief" in the vicinity of Pintsize's voice-actor.

... on second thoughts, that dodges the "acts weird onscreen, but is serious and studious offscreen" bullet, only to be hit by the "acts happy onscreen, but is unhappy or angry offscreen" one. OH WELL
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #155 on: 09 Nov 2013, 07:47 »

There's always the "Anime lover" angle.
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #156 on: 09 Nov 2013, 11:57 »

How about "secretive and reclusive"?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #157 on: 09 Nov 2013, 12:37 »

How about "not actually an actor; just turned up one day and won't go away"?
(Due to budget issues, set security currently consists of a booth with a sign-in/out sheet and a cardboard cutout from "night at the museum 2")
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #158 on: 09 Nov 2013, 13:47 »

I love it.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #159 on: 09 Nov 2013, 14:12 »

I think the "secretive and reclusive" angle fits.

No one really knows much about Emily, other than her parents are second-generation Americans and that she apparently has an undergrad degree from MIT. When asked to speak for the BTS cameras, even her parents refused requests for interviews.

The lake house where the "Party" took place was sold a week after the last scenes were completed. Rumor has it that her parents greatly disliked finding out about the strip using the place as a "set".

JEPH: "I was a bit busy with some other... issues... at the time, and I didn't realize that we hadn't cleared it with the Azumas to have the scenes there. Cristi told me about the 'cease and desist' order after my second hand surgery. At least Emily convinced them not to go through with the suit, thankfully. (pause) It's too bad. That was a nice house, and we did clean up after ourselves - even Hanners and Marigold."
Just another Joe like 46

WAYF

• Beyoncé
« Reply #160 on: 10 Nov 2013, 04:51 »

DALE: I actually ad-libbed that "Okay, okay, I am a virgin" line, after Jeph couldn't come up with an authentic-sounding way for Faye and Dora to needle me about it.

FAYE: Tell them about your other attempts!

DALE: Ok, fine, we did many takes on that one scene, and it was all me ad-libbing stuff. Some of the lines I tried included "I'm not even the most socially awkward person you know!", and "For your information, my first time was worse than both of yours, put together!", and "...It's the hair, isn't it?"
I'm sure you can understand why we went with what we did.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #161 on: 10 Nov 2013, 05:19 »

Haha I haven't been in here in a while, I love that I made a cameo in the Behind the Scenes... how meta.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #162 on: 10 Nov 2013, 05:44 »

You know, now that you mention it...

MAY: "Jeph called me completely out of the blue to ask me to voice this 'Google Glass' character. When he told me the background story about her, I think I laughed for a good solid minute. As a good little Anglican girl, it was sooo much a departure from who I am. I actually got a call from Penelope saying that she had been the one to arrange it, as a way of saying thanks for all the help with the forums. I didn't even have to fly back over to the states again; I did the whole voice-overs using Mumbleserver, to make it sound 'electronic'. Jeph loved it, and the regulars in the forum were thrilled.

"Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a midwifery appointment to get off to..."
Just another Joe like 46

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #163 on: 10 Nov 2013, 09:47 »

Hahaha oh man. Surely it's a conflict of interests for one of the characters to moderate the forum? :psyduck:
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #164 on: 10 Nov 2013, 10:43 »

No, that's probably how Paul got the gig doing the voiceover for Station...

...Oh, I wasn't supposed to reveal that, was I? ;)
Just another Joe like 46

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #165 on: 10 Nov 2013, 14:01 »

No, no. Paul did all the sound engineering for the space arc. Using the fruits of the, what's it called again - ambisound? - a project he's been working on. You know. Like how the hardcore gamers can tell right a way that a bad guy is at 4 o'clock, at 53.6 degree angle above floor level. All just delicate timing tricks with a quadspeaker system.

Anyway, Station knows some of his secrets. That's how he did the voice of the pirate emerging from that bottle of old whisky. In his free time he uses it just to perfect his ventriloquist number. Annoys the security droids no end.
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2013, 11:05 by Skewbrow »
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #166 on: 10 Nov 2013, 18:50 »

:roll:

(it's "ambisonics")

And who let my secret out?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #167 on: 10 Nov 2013, 19:21 »

Emily did. :)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #168 on: 10 Nov 2013, 19:21 »

Clearly I need to have words.  Friendly, but firm...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #169 on: 10 Nov 2013, 19:40 »

Talk to Randy Milholland. He's the executive producer. :D
Just another Joe like 46

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #170 on: 11 Nov 2013, 15:03 »

All glory to Uncle Randy!
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #171 on: 11 Nov 2013, 19:15 »

Plus, he's eternal.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #172 on: 14 Nov 2013, 11:21 »

And a Bandicoot
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #173 on: 25 May 2014, 20:15 »

I'm resurrecting this thread for a purpose: to point out that Jim has, indeed, had a BTS entry:

Jim and Samantha (James Whitaker and Samantha Forrester)

Jeph has gotten lucky at times when it comes to casting characters fort he strip. When the idea for The Secret Bakery came about, Jeph initially wanted Padma to be the owner of the shop – then, realizing that would be too much like a Coffee of Doom "clone", he thought about having Elliot become the owner. Unfortunately, Elliot had two more years on his contract with the (Hamilton CFL) Tiger-Cats, and couldn't appear in the required strips.

So, Jeph decided to write in a new character as the owner – and,interestingly, one that had never appeared in the strip before: a slightly-older, single (divorced) male with a kid. The only problem? Jeph had no idea who could play the person.

Fortunately, Faye happened to have two of her in-laws in town – her brother-in-law, James Whitaker, and her niece-in-law, Samantha Forrester. Samantha had done some acting bits in the past – she had appeared in a few scenes as a classmate of Oscar (Captain Heroic and Miss Match's son) in the webcomic Evil Inc.

Jim had been an avid follower of QC since Faye had recommended it after the first season of the strip was over. Both jumped at the idea of appearing as the divorced owner of TSB and his pre-teen daughter.

---

Update

JIM WHITAKER: "I guess I should explain a bit about the most recent developments. I actually am divorced from my wife. She left me about a year before Jeph asked me to appear in the strip. I hadn't really dated anyone since then, and I'll admit that the whole date arc with Dora left me a little flat. I did get to meet Marten off-set, and he told me about his mom's job as a lecturer at Stanford. (pause) That was why what Jeph did with her and me was so funny; I was actually the one who Googled her. We did some chatting via Skype, and she mentioned she was going to be in New Hampshire for the Dads Wedding arc. I talked to Faye a bit, and she got me the OK to be on the set for the whole thing.

"I tried to stay out of the way as much as I could, because I didn't want everyone to wonder, 'Why was Jim from the Secret Bakery at Marten's dad's wedding?' But after hearing Ronnie's speech, I was just mesmerized, you know. Jeph had already made room in the script for Mom's dating antics to make her move to Northampton, but it was all based on her availability and how she wanted to do it."

VERONICA MILLER-REED: "Right before the wedding arc, I got a call from - of all places - Smith College, about a position as a professor of theater arts. They were offering way more than Stanford was going to give me for continuing as a part-time lecturer. When I confirmed that the offer was legit, I flew out for the wedding, then drove back down to Massachusetts with Jim. (coy look) I'll just say I was really ready for the interview, and they offered the job to me on the spot. I told them I was still under contract to lecture at Stanford through the spring term of 2014. They were fine with it, and agreed I'd start with some summer classes this year.

"Jim knew right away; I called Marten and told him. He was a bit floored by it - not quite as bad as he was in that one strip - but he thought it would inject something into the cast - 'play to a larger demographic,' I think he said. (shrug) Anyways, next thing was to tell Jeph, and he was just chomping at the bit."

MARTEN: "Yeah, I played that thing up a bit, but I'll admit, some of my frustration that led to the Hannersplosion (all her idea, by the way) was real. And it was me who suggested to Jeph that she should be nearly 'repeating' what I did with Vicky."

VERONICA: "Anyways, the wedding is next week..."

MARTEN, JIM, JEPH: "WHAT?"

VERONICA: "Just kidding!"
Just another Joe like 46

WAYF

• Beyoncé
« Reply #174 on: 25 May 2014, 21:06 »

MAY: So when I first came back to the QC Crew, they gave me a new costume, it was supposed to be like a prison jumpsuit thing. But I adored it so much. Orange is my favourite colour so... Well, I might have screwed up some of the early scenes with my enthusiasm.

DALE: You went SERIOUSLY off-script.
_____
[TAKE ONE]

*ding dong*

DALE: Oh, for the love of...

(he opens the door)

MAY (bouncing off the walls): Wheeeeeeheheheheheeee! This costume is so damn comfy! This is like the best job ever!!

[TAKE TWO]

*ding dong*

MAY: Good afternoon sir! I'm here to fix your plumbing!

DALE: ... What?

MAY: I dunno, this just feels like a plumbing outfit.

[TAKE THREE]

*ding dong*

MAY: BOO! BLUE AND ORANGE!!!

[TAKE FOUR]

MAY: I'm
too sexy for my jumpsuit,
too sexy for my jumpsuit,
so sexy, it... I... you weren't filming that, were you?

[TAKE FIVE]

MAY: Hello, is this Aperture Laboratories? You put out a call for test subjects and, well, here I am!

_____

DALE: Actually there's a funny story about that.

MAY: Oh, yeah, cause on the take we actually ended up using, you forgot your line.

DALE: The one take you were acting in character, and I forgot what I was actually supposed to say. I got it right the next time, but-

MAY: We just ended up rolling with the almighty swearing, because it turned out to fit the situation surprisingly well.

DALE: You were very quick on the improv, I have to say.

MAY: Well, like you say, I was back in character by then, so...

DALE: I still maintain that I have never heard that expression before in real life, that thing I was actually supposed to say.

MAY: Well, in my defence, maybe that scene was better going off-script anyway.
_____
[TAKE SEVEN]

MAY: Hey buddy! It's me! May!

DALE: Well knock me over with a feather duster.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #175 on: 26 May 2014, 07:36 »

Interviewer:  "May, can you let us in a little on what's coming for your character?"

May:  "We get a little flashback to my prison time, mostly stuff with my counsellors Winslow and Momo, but the really good stuff is going to have to wait until it's up - too many spoilers otherwise."
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #176 on: 26 May 2014, 12:09 »

Fortunately, Faye happened to have two of her in-laws in town – her brother-in-law, James Whitaker, and her niece-in-law, Samantha Forrester.

Um, Faye's last name is Whitaker. So James Whitaker could be her brother, but it seems pretty unlikely that he could be her brother-in-law. Unless, for some reason, he took his wife's last name when they married, instead of her taking his last name, but that's pretty uncommon in the USA. Much more common to use both names, hyphenatedly. On the other hand, that could explain why the niece (presumably his daughter?) has a last name that's different from his own.

Also, to be a niece-in-law, she'd have to be Jim's daughter by a previous marriage, because if she were Faye's sister's daughter she'd just be a niece.

Despite those minor details, it was a very funny entry!

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #177 on: 26 May 2014, 13:02 »

Do we know that Faye-the-actress isn't married? If she were, Whitaker could be her married name.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #178 on: 26 May 2014, 14:21 »

Do we know that Faye-the-actress isn't married? If she were, Whitaker could be her married name.

(points at Stoutfellow, points at nose)

You didn't know that Faye got married and had two kids during the strip's run? ;)
Just another Joe like 46

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #179 on: 26 May 2014, 15:01 »

Yep, I'd forgotten that. (Two kids? I only remember one.)
« Last Edit: 26 May 2014, 16:11 by Stoutfellow »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #180 on: 26 May 2014, 15:36 »

That's part of the reason for the second BTS special. She had to take her second sabbatical during the wedding arc.
Just another Joe like 46

Ben

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #181 on: 31 May 2014, 01:06 »

HANNERS .... sorry, Phoebe who? Oh, no, no....  So anyway, that's why Faye never goes in the Horrible Revelation, we couldn't get a release on the Romance Detective image rights so she can't wear the hat and cape.

FAYE ...  Shame really, 'cause the bubble-pipe would be fun. I don't remember who did the voice-over for the original CGI May, they were never on-set.... A lot if people think Brent Spiner is Station but actually it's Wooster from Girl Genius.

« Last Edit: 31 May 2014, 01:44 by Ben »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #182 on: 31 May 2014, 05:57 »

MARTEN: "Yeah, Danielle was really upset with Jeph for a long while after the last BTS special. But I understand Randy (Milholland, creator of Something Positive) talked her down about the whole thing."

FAYE: "It's a good thing. All the conventions were putting us right next to Hazel and Jamie, and Danielle kept giving us the stink-eye."

HANNERS: "That whole thing led to The Incident at TCAF in Toronto." (looks at camera) "I really still don't like talking about it."

NARRATOR: The infamous Toronto Incident nearly kept Jeph permanently banned from entering Canada - an incident he had only previously joked about with the character 'Jimbo' in the strip.

JEPH: "Randy managed to get things soothed over after that whole fiasco, and Danielle and I are back on speaking terms. (pause) I never really did figure out how that guy got so many dicksissels through security, though."

PENELOPE: "It really was a good thing, because I'd always liked doing cons with Danielle. I think I ended up going with Jeph to the next three in a row because of it. (smiles) That was how I got that side gig as the teacher on Supervillanous."

Just another Joe like 46

Ben

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #183 on: 31 May 2014, 06:04 »

FAYE.....  oh, and it's not true that Sydney Scoville did the voice-over for CGI-May.

MAY (INTERRUPTING),,,, HAY-ULL, NO!!! Casting call was enough... She's crazy, man, and SWEAR?????

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #184 on: 06 Aug 2014, 19:09 »

This week, we're talking with Emily Azuma about her recent appearances in QC.

Emily: "Oh, it was so much fun! We wound up doing a lot of improv in that whole walk-in-the-woods scene. Samantha is great - she's a natural. That whole conversation where I was talking about how cute Marten is and she kept saying 'Ewww!' - that was all ad-libbed. No script, no rehearsal, we just went with it."

And that scene where Emily offers Marten a basket of mice?

Emily: (laughs) "Marten had no idea that was coming! We didn't get a script from Jeph for that scene, so I just told the costume and prop departments to come up with something wild and I'd work with it. Don't ask where they got the mice! Then we had a camera running when Marten walked in the door, and his reaction when he saw me was perfect!"

Do you do a lot of improv on the set?

Emily: "I do, yes. Not everybody does - Momo, for example, prefers to work with a script. But I love it. I did a lot of improv comedy before I got this gig, so Jeph lets me work that in whenever I can."

Now everybody's wondering: Where is this thing with you and Marten going?

Emily: "Hey, I'm wondering that too! Nobody knows but Jeph, and he's not telling. The way Jeph works, we often don't get the scripts until the day we shoot, so we don't know where the story is headed in the long run. But that's okay. I'll roll with whatever he throws at me."
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #185 on: 26 Nov 2014, 14:19 »

I have nothing to contribute further than a bump.

(Big stuff has happened since the last post)
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

NemoX

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Lonely nobody
« Reply #186 on: 19 Dec 2014, 14:49 »

Pintsize would be portrayed by whoever it was inside R2-D2.

huh, I actually had thought the exact same thing lol

after years without actual lines, I'd figured he got a job where he could go and show off his talent for reciting his lines no matter how outrageous without skipping a beat or crack laughing. A true professional :)
"Wit is educated insolence" - Aristotle

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #187 on: 19 Dec 2014, 14:52 »

His name's Kenny Baker
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up