THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Works In Progress - Give and Get Critique (Still Visual Arts)  (Read 21471 times)

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

I'm surprised an art forum doesn't have a section for everyone to show some works in progress. Just show them or specifically ask for critique.

I'm thinking keep this one for still visual things: Drawings and paintings or crafts. Literature and animation/film, you go sort yourselves out.

Rules:
  • Be civil, of course. Don't necessarily have to use the sandwich method (Compliment - Critique - Compliment) as long your comment is fairly polite.
  • Please avoid vagueness like, "I don't like something about X but I don't know what exactly and have no idea how to make it so I like it".
  • Note if you don't want critique at all or do want critique but only on something specific.
  • Feel free to link to tutorials, guides, speed videos or any resources which you have found helpful.
  • This can also be used to show progress shots of a finished piece.

I think that's everything unless the mods have something to suggest. I'll get the ball rolling with the two main pieces I'm working on right now.

This is some Fallout 2 fanart featuring an original character I've made, called Cressida, my version of the Chosen One. A friend linked me to a wedding dress site and I got inspired. So far my favourite thing I've done is the lamp-ornament-thing-a-ma-jigger.
I'm considering this at the "Nearly done but still loads to do somehow" stage. The main thing I'm looking to fix is the train.

Some Infamous fanart. Specifically the Trashbot boss fight, as can be told by the screenshots.
This is at the, "Oh God, so much to do and I have no idea where to go from where I am" stage.
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2022, 12:35 by Welu »

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Actually, the train looks pretty good - maybe it should lay a little flatter, is all. 

But what's that brown column-thingy?  It looks a bit like a spiral staircase set in the wall? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

It's just meant to be a brown-column thingy. It's meant to look like this room.

It should stand out more when the walls are done.

cvcharger

• Furry furrier

I'm not sure if this would be the same, but I have uploaded some comics to my facebook page that I drew in my spare time.  These are the links for them.
Bohemian Rhapsody https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=366257420099325&set=a.366255600099507.81786.100001452106764&type=3&theater
Just Ask Her https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=374427772615623&set=a.366255600099507.81786.100001452106764&type=3&theater
Venus Transit https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=378223575569376&set=a.366255600099507.81786.100001452106764&type=3&theater

Originally, these were just ideas I drew in a notebook, and I think after maybe the 10th comic I drew, I decided to upload it to facebook to see what everyone thought.  Then after that, I got the CS5 program on my computer and started playing with it, and that basically explains them.  I had been toying with the idea to start my own webcomic, but I haven't really heard from enough people to determine if that would be a good idea or not.
I may eventually redo the first one on CS5.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

I decided to try my hand at making a fan art piece for Dumbing of Age. It's not close to finished yet, but there's enough there that if you read DoA often you could probably guess what scene I'm going for in it:

What I'm eventually planning to make is an animated gif version of the second-to-last panel of this comic that pans into the final frame. Like I said, it's not close to finished; I have to rewrite the rain macros to allow the rain to be animated, and I have to put Amazi-Girl into the scene.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

Looks like it is coming along well.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Add some Dark Knight music, and it'll be awesome.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

It's raining at McDonald's.  :-D

I still have to add Amazi-Girl to the scene, which is probably going to be the most complicated part, because I have to make her walk realistically.

edit (6/1/14) --
Amazi-Girl is now in the scene, though there are some fixes I have to make to her. Her cape is too short (right now it goes down to her waist, and it should go down to her feet), plus somehow the pissed-off look I gave her in Poser turned into a disturbing grin in Pov-Ray.  :psyduck:

« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2014, 09:44 by cesium133 »

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

Boy meets pig.

It needs some clean-up.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

I like it! The pig's posture makes them look interested in the boy, and I like the pattern on them.

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

I like it a lot, Beo! This style of art somehow really appeals to me. Also, I like pigs.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.

I have to say that I am pretty pleased with, if I do say so myself. It pays to take kids to the petting zoo, is what I'm saying, basically.
My Art.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

I fixed Amazi-Girl's cape and sent a copy of the GIF to David Willis' Twitter account. He didn't respond, not even a "holy shit you suck"...

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.

He probably needs some time to admire it.
My Art.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.

Real rebels don't give a fuck.
My Art.

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

Beo, that's fucking incredible.
Do you do commissions?  :P
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.

You got the cash I gots tha mad skillzz, booooooyyy.

Or somesuch, as long as it means; 'yes'.
My Art.

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

I've never heard you speak, and yet I read that in a Dutch accent and it made me laugh heartily. You've got me on the facebooks, message me with your prices  :)
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.

... next project, of which I shall post pictures:

My girlfriend is a teacher. Last year, for every kid's birthday, we gave them a bag of sweets. This year ... we're giving each and every one a portrait of themselves ...

There's 31 kids in her class. Stay tuned for a mental breakdown on my part.
My Art.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

Hi artsy friends, I need some help. Technically, this is a "work in progress" but if the mods find that this fits better somewhere else, feel free to move it.

I'm starting up a website. I've actually created two websites before- one using basic HTML code in notepad and another using iWeb. Since I don't have the knowledge to code the whole thing myself nor do I have access to a Mac, I'm going with one of those free DIY sites. I'm using wix.com at the moment and hoping that it can do what I need it to do. Hopefully third time will be the charm?

Here's where it gets tricky. I want the website to showcase all of my abilities and I'd really like to break into event planning as a side gig. I had so much fun planning our wedding and I was GOOD at it! I need to market myself so I can actually take this somewhere. I can see myself really nailing a job as a creative director for events but I'm at a total loss with where to start. I figured this is as good a place to start as any! Thing is, about half of my art and my event planning stuff goes hand in hand. I created all of our stationery, the majority of our decor, the flowers, the centerpieces, you name it. I also have images from face painting gigs and quite a bit of event photography as well. I can't decide the best way to organize these galleries!

As far as my art is concerned, my goal was to create a main portfolio page with images that will link to galleries that are sorted by medium. So far, I know I want 4 different galleries: painting, photography, graphic design and jewelry. I also wanted to include other projects like home decor and holiday items but I don't know where to begin with that.

Should I set up one portfolio section and break it into Art vs. Events? Should I have the event designs as a sub-page, stemming off of event services? Where the crap do I put home decor and holiday stuff?? I'm also thinking about splitting the galleries of each medium into themes or subject matter- (painting would likely be abstractions and process paintings, photography would be organic and inorganic (is there a better word for this??), jewelry would be broken down into earrings, necklaces, bracelets, etc. These would be on the same category page, but divided with a title bar of some sort.

I'm leaning towards a "Fine Art" gallery, an "Event" gallery and a "Life" gallery (for home products and jewelry). Too many categories? Does any of this make sense? I also worry that if I put certain things into the "Event" portfolio, it may not be seen by someone who could potentially be interested (for example- I would think that the paper bouquets I made would be most at home in that category, but may also appeal to someone who is looking for home decor). Ideally I'll also set up a store with appropriate product divisions, so maybe the gallery sub sets aren't as important as I think they are. My brain is buzzing and I think I just need some outside input.

I'm trying to create a site that looks and feels cohesive and logical while showing multiple types of products and services. I want my concept to be about bringing art into the daily lives of my clients and I think that really works for what I'm trying to market but I'm worried that the images will look cluttered or disorganized.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Lines

• Awakened

I think you should have 3 categories. You can always put images of things, like the paper flowers, in more than one category if it fits.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.

So ... how is it coming along?
My Art.

lepetitfromage

It's not gotten much farther since last time in terms of a final project but I have a concise plan in place with markers of where I want things to go. I also discovered that I can link my Facebook and Flickr accounts to my Wix account, which is awesome! I'll definitely be sharing the site here once I get it up and running.  :-)

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues

Here is a thing I did. I suppose it's more WIP than art, though I don't know if I'll ever finish it. I was doing it to work on the character personalities, rather than the look. So, the shading for the characters is completely different than the shading for their clothing because lazy.

I'm posting it because I'm absurdly happy with it. Feel free to knock the wind out of my sails, burst my bubble, or any other metaphor you think relevant.

Edit: I went ahead and finished it anyway. I think a before an after is the thing.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

Tha looks great! I love the character designs, there's a lot of personality packed into them and the poses.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

Something else I'm working on. I don't know how to feel about this one.

Not looking for specific input so much as looking for the feels. If you have specific input, it's welcome. In the spirit of specificity, I already know exactly what's right and wrong with the aerodynamics, and I don't intend to change any of that on that basis. Gotta have some fiction, otherwise it's just science.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

I call this one "Why, yes. I am going to kick your ass. In these shoes."

Or, "I have no fashion sense" --The Author

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

My "Claire."

Not Claire at all. Not modeled on Claire or inspired by Claire.

I came up with character concept about 4 years ago. She was always ginger, and she was going to lead a story. She's since ended up as a supporting character in another story. Her name was, originally, Ashleigh. It's Dashiell now, because I find that more amusing.

But she will ever be my Claire, because red hair, pale, blue eyes. And trans.

Damn you Jacques.

Another, less action-y shot

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

Interasante, Welu. Context?

First pass at a logo:

I've been told the contrast won't work on almost everything but it looks fine to me, and I'm not shabby with color. It's RGBA, so the background here is forum, not the logo.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

She's a wrestler, AJ Lee. Link is the reference I used.

lepetitfromage

These all look great!!

Welu, I am really enjoying your daily drawings. :-)

And ReindeerFlotilla- those jeans! Love 'em.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

Thanks! I'm going to try something different with the jeans. I had a crazy idea last night and I'm gonna give it the old college try. Whatever that is.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

So...Feedback time.

Over all, the form is good Welu, but the lines feel...unbalanced. Like they are trying to be tight and loose at the same time. Other than that, I like it. Would view again.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

Thanks, I see what you mean about the lines. That's probably due to tidying some and not others, I'll try to balance them better when I go back to colour it.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

I think (maybe, just maybe) I'm done inventing an art style. Time to get to work, and let incremental improvement increment.

Had to do one more.
>.>
<.<
Pages: [1]   Go Up