• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moment Of The Week Time!

I wish I could eat cupcakes.
- 2 (4%)
Being hated because of what you are is still painful.
- 0 (0%)
It gives ALL of us hope that one day we will be fully accepted.
- 0 (0%)
We're still working on racism, sexism, homophobia....
- 0 (0%)
We are aware that "one day" may in fact be "another rung up the evolutionary ladder."
- 5 (10%)
Who knows what humanity will be like in 50 years?
- 1 (2%)
That is the beauty of being post-Singularity. We do not know!
- 1 (2%)
I hope when they finally invent hoverboards I'm not too old and decrepit to enjoy them.
- 4 (8%)
Momo, you're with me today. Marten, I have a special tast for you. (Huh?)
- 0 (0%)
Fresh crop of interns (including REDHEAD GIRL!)
- 2 (4%)
Tai is HIGH AS HELL right now.
- 3 (6%)
"Permission to get high as hell and go watch Adventure Time with Ms. Hubbert?"
- 10 (20%)
I'm, uh, I'm Marten and I guess I'll be... showing you around today?
- 1 (2%)
This is the front desk... a library computer...
- 1 (2%)
This is a bookshelf! (Is this some kind of weird hazing ritual?) (Shhh!)
- 4 (8%)
Redhead: "Um, we KNOW what a BOOKSHELF is. We're all graduate students."
- 2 (4%)
OH, uh, well I - I'm not really a LIBRARIAN. I - WHAT?
- 1 (2%)
I'm not a librarian! I just work here!
- 2 (4%)
Okay, this is DEFINITELY some sort of hazing ritual, and I do NOT appreciate it.
- 1 (2%)
Am I the one being hazed?
- 10 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2201-2205 (4-8 June 2012) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 73965 times)

cvcharger

• Furry furrier

Tai

At least the AnthroPC's aren't thinking of going Cylon on the Humans

Yet

Maybe they just want us to think that.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Pintsize can taste things and has a stomach, as of the upgrade to the M-31 chassis.

There is a potential for dramatic conflict when Momo discovers that her premium chassis is missing a feature that Pintsize has.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

This is certainly the longest time I can remember that a comic has been up with not a single comment.  Perhaps this is because there isn't a joke, but just musing about the future; or does it just not go down well with Europeans for some inscrutable reason?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Nikolai

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • H-Hello? Is this thing on?

I want cybernetic implants. Mostly just modded arms and a glowing red eye, though.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

This is certainly the longest time I can remember that a comic has been up with not a single comment.  Perhaps this is because there isn't a joke, but just musing about the future; or does it just not go down well with Europeans for some inscrutable reason?
Aren't you gonna join us in holding your breath in anticipation of wherever this is going?

One of us (Europeans)! One of us (Europeans)! One of us (Europeans)!
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

The Unscientific Poll We Haven't Done In A While - Your Favorite Character?

Marten    5 (8.9%)
Faye    11 (19.6%)
Dora    1 (1.8%)
Hannelore    19 (33.9%)
Pintsize    2 (3.6%)
Marigold    3 (5.4%)
Steve    0 (0%)
Sven    0 (0%)
Raven    3 (5.4%)
Angus    1 (1.8%)
Tai    1 (1.8%)
Penelope    0 (0%)
Momo    6 (10.7%)
Winslow    1 (1.8%)
Other (Specify)    3 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 56
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I'm sick of Momo's "Little Mermaid" comics.
I have no idea what that means.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Yeah I couldn't work that one out either. Momo is nothing like the little mermaid, either the Disney version or the traditional folk tale.

ETA: just checked and discovered it isn't a folk tale, but Hans Anderson actually made it up. Either way, no pink-headed robot girls.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Jeanne Calment, who lived to be 122, was asked what it was like to have lived through so much change. I don't remember her exact words, even in translation, but what she said was to the effect of "Meh. People are the same.".

When the cybernetic implants hit the QC world, they'll probably only affect cognition.

Genetic engineering will probably be aimed at superficial ends, such as making someone good at Scrabble.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

I for one would love to read what Jeph has written as the 'canon' to the QCverse. I didn't even notice the church, but I found that last use of the word "we" for the AnthroPC's as a bit chilling -- like there's a universal hivemind of AI consciousness, and anything from a nuclear submarine to a toaster to an Idoru, can login and compare notes.

@DSL: I hope Jeph DOESN'T. That's a short fuse to a big stick of dynamite. Why poke the sleeping dragon?

If it's any consolation, Pintsize has probably been banned from the important forums.
@Throg: I doubt he'll poke the dragon just for the sake of poking the dragon; that hasn't been his style so far. But he has done things he said he wouldn't do, at least indirectly; he commented early on after a fairly tame scene that he probably wouldn't get more risqué than that. And then, later on, he turned it up a notch -- but in service of the story, or at least a joke. But the place on society of AIs in the QCverse is obviously much on his mind and he's certainly thinking about ways to explore this.
I don't know Jeph as a person, but I think I can sort of see his views. I don't think he'd "poke the dragon" just for the sake of doing it. It may have been something on his mind back when Westboro Church was reigniting its homophobic tirade (and particularly when they came out into the public eye), and just needed the time, place and/or circumstances to be right.

I don't know. All I can guess is Jeph probably wouldn't make a cheap jibe at anyone without cause.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food

QC = Blade Runner where EVERYBODY'S JUST DANDY, kthxbye
SQUEEZE BOX

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

This is certainly the longest time I can remember that a comic has been up with not a single comment.
Um, his twitter saying the comic was up is 7 hours old so it went up between 4 and 5 am. You post just before 6 am. So you are saying less than 2 hours is a LONG time?

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

Well, pwhodges, for the record I love the two comics this week, so far. I just can't think of anything to add. It's almost perfect to me.

cvcharger

• Furry furrier

Pintsize can taste things and has a stomach, as of the upgrade to the M-31 chassis.

There is a potential for dramatic conflict when Momo discovers that her premium chassis is missing a feature that Pintsize has.

Well, at least she still has her electric shock feature, as opposed to Pintsize losing his laser.

chetoos8

• Not quite a lurker

I just want to say that I love the perspective shot in the first panel. That is all.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

Loving the discussion of AI's place in humanity so far. This page in particular reminds me of my favorite sci-fi site, Orion's Arm that deals with many of the same issues, and in the speculative future discussed on that site, many people DO in fact become vehicles, vessels (the "brains" of them, certainly) and many others actually evolve into highly advanced AI. That site is basically The Singularity on steroids. Mega steroids.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

I just want to say that I love the perspective shot in the first panel. That is all.

Jeph tweeted (or was it tumbled?) something about working on thinking of ways of getting the comic better, and different perspectives was one of them. Very successful so far in my humble opinion.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I'm sick of Momo's "Little Mermaid" comics.
I have no idea what that means.
I am guessing that Mustang, possibly confused by Momo/Ariel pink/red hair, it thinking of Ariel wanting to become human to be with Eric. The parallel doesn't really work though, because Momo doesn't want to be human, just to be treated as equal to a human. There is a big difference!

And as others have pointed out, awesome perspectives. Jeph should place his characters in expansive spaces more often.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

No no no he meant that he's sick of Momo's actual collection of Little Mermaid comic books. They really annoy him for some reason.

DUH
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

The parallel doesn't really work though, because Momo doesn't want to be human, just to be treated as equal to a human. There is a big difference!

Except she wants to be able to eat cupcakes.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

I wonder, sometime in the future will Marten play Batou to momo's Major?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

DKDzyn

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

I wonder, sometime in the future will Marten play Batou to momo's Major?

THAT is funny! I just can't see Momo doing all the cyber$#x and having Marten ghost link her at the wrong time being something Jeph would do. Then again after that strip where Pintsize was  wearing the Fleshlight and had a cartoon of Dora's hindquarters taped to his back, perhaps anything is possible! ECCCCH! I can't get that Pintsize image out of my head. Singed my retinas on that one!

Boomslang

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

Picked Raven, because even though I don't like her all that much individually, I really enjoy the strips where she's interacting with the rest of the cast. I wouldn't mind seeing Pintsize attempt to shock her with his antics and fail spectacularly.

I'm honestly not surprised that there's a lot of hostility towards AI, and it doesn't even seem like it'd necessarily be religious. AI's have the ability to swap bodies as often as they can afford it, they have very few needs that are easily met so they can spend more time focusing on the things they enjoy, and they're effectively immortal in a way humans don't appear to be yet. I can see and even sympathize with people who'd be freaking out over what is both an admitted takeover by the over-AI and the effective replacement of human beings by entities that not only have advantages now, but whose capabilities are increasing at a rate approaching Moore's law. It's like Skynet, if skynet was more into adult alternative than black metal (seriously, all of the skulls and flames and whatnot? Totally metal).
Having to fight an adult deinonychus with a sharp rock is extremely scary. Granted, I only know this from dreams, but it makes complete sense.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Some humans will automatically hate anything different without being motivated by actual reasons. Then some other humans will attribute anything scary done by a member of a minority group to the group as a whole, and we know that some AnthroPCs have violated social conventions.

The fact that AIs "don't do religion" is probably enough by itself to set off a particular subset of bigots. That's a bigger difference from humans than being made of plastic is.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor

Which is funny since there are plenty of humans made of plastic.
- Alvin

cvcharger

• Furry furrier

I want to be a hoverboard!!!  That is all.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

The parallel doesn't really work though, because Momo doesn't want to be human, just to be treated as equal to a human. There is a big difference!

Not equivalent. Puppies can eat cupcakes; maybe she wants to be a puppy?
It is not sufficient to expand a poorly defined desire (does she only want to eat cupcakes? What about steak? Does she think of cupcakes as delicious morsels or abominations to be destroyed? Etc.) into a vaguely correlated set of other desires, assume that this one path of many is the intent and sole possible outcome, then drop into full on prejudice-mode and expound a crude metaphor to attempt to express this, without further explanation.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

cvcharger

• Furry furrier

Not equivalent. Puppies can eat cupcakes; maybe she wants to be a puppy?
It is not sufficient to expand a poorly defined desire (does she only want to eat cupcakes? What about steak? Does she think of cupcakes as delicious morsels or abominations to be destroyed? Etc.) into a vaguely correlated set of other desires, assume that this one path of many is the intent and sole possible outcome, then drop into full on prejudice-mode and expound a crude metaphor to attempt to express this, without further explanation.

You know, now that I think about it, why can't robots eat cupcakes?  I mean, surely a civilization that has achieved singularity must have also started developing biochemical reactors, which work best with carbohydrates, which is basically all there is to cupcakes.  Or maybe I missed something.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor

BAHAHA Fuck YES! Adventure Time fucking rules!

Also I seriously toked up before reading the comic, totally by coincidence. Fucking awesome.

/profanity

but seriously watch Adventure Time right now
- Alvin

blewupthesun

• Not quite a lurker

It's the new girl! *jumps and points* I was wondering when she'd finally pop up.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

And
(click to show/hide)
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART

It's the new girl! *jumps and points* I was wondering when she'd finally pop up.
What new girl? (Which of the three?)

And I totally know that redhead from somewhere... *wrinkles brain*
(Cudos to Jeph for further experimenting with body shapes... variata delectat)

And
(click to show/hide)
Nah... could be a friend/teacher of the slim tall girl's.

scrawney

• Not quite a lurker

seems to me that the black girl in the latest comic looks like she could be Faye's sister.

the possibilities.

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce

Redheaded girl is Clinton's sister; calling it now. Compare chin, facial shape, eye color and hair color.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Nice to see that Jeph has found a use for his mysterious redhead! Looking forward to get to know her.

Edit: Oh, and I voted "Other" on the poll - I adore and miss Padma! *dodges incoming missiles*
« Last Edit: 06 Jun 2012, 00:10 by Lubricus »
What do you know about Pokémon?

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce

I thought this and this was the mysterious redhead; very different. Did this girl show up in the background previously too?

Jeph's "#theresthatgirlagain" remark indicates at least one of them did, but I'm not sure which or where.

Edit:

ah.
|
v

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Jeph has drawn the new girl on Twitter a few times, wondering what to do with her. She hasn't turned up in the comic until now.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

I thought this and this was the mysterious redhead; very different. Did this girl show up in the background previously too?

Jeph's "#theresthatgirlagain" remark indicates at least one of them did, but I'm not sure which or where.

Edit:

ah.
|
v

No, thats Sweet-tits. The girl that appears in many Yelling Bird strips.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

I think that that poor young intern is in for an ...... interesting time

Especially with Hai Tai    :-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART

I am much more fascinated by the tall one in the bunch. We know a lot more about her already than we know about the other two... and she seems interesting.

calmcalamity

• Plantmonster

And
(click to show/hide)

AUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK

Skaltura

• Furry furrier

Sooo, since Jeph mused on his Twitter about introducing a Transwoman attending Smith College, might one of the new girls be this person?

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Sooo, since Jeph mused on his Twitter about introducing a Transwoman attending Smith College, might one of the new girls be this person?

My mind just translated this into "female transformer"... I. Need. Help.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Transwoman - robots in disguise,
Transwoman - more than meets the eyes!

Uh...  :-D

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Damn, why does this work so well? ><

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Cue Tai throwing single college girls at Marten! Wacky hijinks ensue...
This is beginning...
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

I can't say I'm impressed with the looks of the intern girls - I like the mystery redhead somewhat, if only because Jeph has shown her to us a few times before, but those other two fail to intrigue me. If Tai is hoping to match Marten with one of them, I hope she fails. Then again, we've just met them, so maybe they'll turn out to be interesting after all.

cpflux

• Emoticontraindication

Sure, Marten is a bit worried about training three new interns.

But, deep down, dude's thinking, "Three more ladies to add to my harem."

calmcalamity

• Plantmonster

someone's like a certain character in a certain other webkomic.

Also, speakin' of Adventure Time, is it just me, or have the last two b'n more fucked up than usual?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up