THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 05:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What's behind the Coffee of Doom's counter that you wouldn't mind checking out?*

* - BESIDES the Baristas, pervs.
- 12 (29.3%)
The Hammer of DOOM! (In which to make Banana Smoothies)
- 1 (2.4%)
Malaysian Battle Spatula
- 2 (4.9%)
The Broadsword of DOOM! (A cheap replica of Excalibur)
- 1 (2.4%)
The War Ladle!
- 0 (0%)
The Laptop of DOOM!
- 1 (2.4%)
The wi-fi hotspot!
- 1 (2.4%)
Marigold's spare DS (she left it there after she got a 3DS)
- 0 (0%)
Will's motorcycle keys!
- 0 (0%)
The Mouthwash of DOOM!
- 0 (0%)
The Emergency Bourbon!
- 4 (9.8%)
Freezer for the Emergency Haagen-Dazs!
- 0 (0%)
A ROBOT HAMSTER! (Hanners brought in a working prototype for fun)
- 1 (2.4%)
Daft Punk CD's!
- 2 (4.9%)
A spare Pizza Girl Costume - but it's NOT PENELOPE'S!
- 1 (2.4%)
A +20 Bag of Holding!
- 3 (7.3%)
Hammerspace!
- 6 (14.6%)
Space Ham!
- 1 (2.4%)
Waffles, of course.
- 0 (0%)
You mean there's something ELSE behind the counter????
- 3 (7.3%)
Of course there is - the FLOWER POT HATS!
- 2 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2206-2210 (11-15 June 2012) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 66199 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

People like old books; I have an old book.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

And Emily becomes third in a series of women in Marten's life who like to innocently (or seemingly innocently) push buttons. Emily has Claire's combination figured out; I still think Padma knew what she was saying most of the time and then there's Dora "... or would you prefer a quick f**k on the counter?" Bianchi.

Marten's learning to enjoy it, especially since it's not his buttons being pushed this particular instant.

"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I had a friend called Emily at school who looked similar to this Emily (and no, she wasn't Asian, just dark haired and slender with pale skin). Not that tall though. Also, I had a friend called Claire with red hair. No friends called Gabby though.

My guess is that Claire is about 20, 21 and still taking life very seriously in general. Whoever said it's stressful to live that way is right but you can't just decide to stop doing it!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

That's beautiful dude. I have an old book too but it's like a child comapred to yours! Got a 150 years old Bible that I found at a thrift shop with a section of old stuff. I should take some pics of it. The front and back are quite gorgeous. I'm not religious, but damn... This is the kind of stuff I just have to own and keep safe for generations.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

Weird that people already lust after Emily. Asiaphilia anyone?   :?
Asian women are gorgeous.  Tall Asian women are stunners.

It's not just that she's Asian (though they do tend to be striking), but this:

Emily has my vote for Best Intern because she knows what's up. She likes old book smell and she likes Adventure Time while partaking of the cannabis-leaf. Good on you, Emily.

This so hard. So far she's a woman after my own heart  :-D

When Marten walks into CoD, escourted by three chicks attractive girls (sorry, sorry, rocker-guy-lingo), I want Disturbed's song "Down with the Sickness" to play.
(This could actually happen... they might just be within Dora's music taste.)

Shit's gonna be so pimp.

But seriously folks, I hope Steve or Angus is there or something and implies jealousy at the...visually pleasant company Marten keeps. Then again you could be jealous of Marten for that all the time.
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2012, 15:36 by iduguphergrave »
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Fascinating. I didn't realise that prayer-books were assembled from parts printed at different times. And calligraphy too! If you don't like old books, I think there is something wrong with you. Old books are awesome.

My guess is that Claire is about 20, 21 and still taking life very seriously in general.
All the girls are grad students, having presumably obtained their (typically in the USA, I think) four-year Bachelors' degrees, so that seems a bit young, but otherwise, yes.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

She could've been an advanced student - I started taking college classes when I was 14 (to the point that the college that I went through had to revise their systems to handle someone under 15).

She also wouldn't be the first advanced student in QC - for that matter, she's not even the first redhead female advanced student in QC, Ellen was a minor when she was introduced to the comic.

ZBixby

• Emoticontraindication
  • Zombie Jesus ate my Peanuts

Am I the only one who has noticed that Claire's body language supports that she would be more timid or socially inward yet it conflicts with how serious she actually is? If we take a look at her in the panels we have been presented she seems to hold her body in a very introverted way. The most noticable example is in the latest comic where she is holding her arms as she walks.
"I have the weirdest friends."

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

She could've been an advanced student - I started taking college classes when I was 14 (to the point that the college that I went through had to revise their systems to handle someone under 15).

She also wouldn't be the first advanced student in QC - for that matter, she's not even the first redhead female advanced student in QC, Ellen was a minor when she was introduced to the comic.
Why would a 14 year old student be that different than a 15 year old student?  Both are ridiculously young for college.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

I started taking college classes when I was 14 (to the point that the college that I went through had to revise their systems to handle someone under 15).
Why would a 14 year old student be that different than a 15 year old student?  Both are ridiculously young for college.

In our universe computers do what they're told. And theirs hadn't apparently been told to handle accommodate 14 year olds in their system.
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2012, 19:09 by FunkyTuba »

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Claire. Homegirl. It is good that you have a professional attitude and all, but calm the fuck down. You are like the zenith of 'taking things too seriously', from what little we've seen of you, I mean god damn.

Yo dawg. I heard you like highly-strung characters. So I made a serious remark about a serious remark so you can laugh while you laugh.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

Is it just me, or is there a weird little bump under Claire's jawline in a number of the panels that she's been in? Calling her as the transgender, if there is one.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Gabby has it too, sometimes.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

All three of them are transgendered!! WHAT A TWIST!!

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

Really? I don't see it.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

In 2206 you can see it on Gabby and Emily.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ZBixby

• Emoticontraindication

All three of them are transgendered!! WHAT A TWIST!!

No the twist is going to be that Marten is a transgender!

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

In 2206 you can see it on Gabby and Emily.

Still not seeing it. Maybe the resolution's too small on my monitor or something.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

No the twist is going to be that Marten is a transgender!

Well, he does look good in a corset....

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

We'll probably find out that the redheads last name is Dinozzo   :-D

PHWEEET! Two minutes for bad punning!

*Gibbsmacks jwhouk*

She's definitely on the way to blow a microchip.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

cvcharger

• Furry furrier

Am I the only one who has noticed that Claire's body language supports that she would be more timid or socially inward yet it conflicts with how serious she actually is? If we take a look at her in the panels we have been presented she seems to hold her body in a very introverted way. The most noticable example is in the latest comic where she is holding her arms as she walks.

I've met people that were typically introverts, who were also confrontational.  It's like they don't say much, but damn if you find the right, er wrong topic to discuss in front of them they will chew the hell out of you.  Maybe this is one of those things that Claire takes issue with.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

I just had a thought: Think Gabby might be related to Renee from The Secret Bakery (the one with glasses).

ZBixby

• Emoticontraindication

I've met people that were typically introverts, who were also confrontational.  It's like they don't say much, but damn if you find the right, er wrong topic to discuss in front of them they will chew the hell out of you.  Maybe this is one of those things that Claire takes issue with.

Possibly, for all I know I'm reading to far into it and Jeph is just fucking with my mind.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

If I have to pick a favourite, I think it'll be Gabby. I'm enjoying all three in different ways.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Why are we so certain that one of the interns is transgender? ("Transgender" is not a noun, people, it is an adjective - you cannot be a transgender, you are a transgendered person. Or more precisely you are a woman who was born male, or simply a woman.) Did Jeph say so on his Twitter? I don't follow anything other than the comic and the forum.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Some people think it would be "edgy", and therefore must happen (it's a bit like shipping, but without the actual shipping bit).  Maybe they'll be disappointed, and then we can discuss whether Jeph has sold out to the forces of convention by, you know, depicting average sorts of people as sort of average.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.

That is so stupid :O

I hope non of them used to be a dude or whatever, just out of spite.

ZBixby

• Emoticontraindication

That is so stupid :O

I hope non of them used to be a dude or whatever, just out of spite.

I refer back to my Marten is the transgender theory.

Gregorio

• Balloon animal serial killer

Reading the past few comics, I'm thinking Clinton has a sister.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page

I suspect Claire would be better suited to presenting a TV programme about books (and she seems to have the drive to get there).  I was wondering if she should consider becoming a teacher/tutor/lecturer, given her stated mission, but that clashes with her hate of "babbling conversation", "yelling", etc.
Francisco

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

What - as an example of how silly this can get?  Doesn't it occur to you that Dora or Padma would have noticed?  Or his mum, even (remember, we've seen him as a baby and as a child).

ZBixby

• Emoticontraindication

What - as an example of how silly this can get?  Doesn't it occur to you that Dora or Padma would have noticed?  Or his mum, even (remember, we've seen him as a baby and as a child).

Just as an example as how silly the forum can get about theorizing.

pendrake

• Curry sauce

Right!  You forum posters!  Stop that theorizing!  I think it's silly!

rcs

• Not quite a lurker

I voted Claire will break first because if they are going to CoD, Faye will puncture her intensity. I also think Emily & Hannelore will hit it off as friends because of the decidedly off-kilter way they have of appreciating things, except Hanners will want to clean all the books. Gabby will reveal a sense of humor to match Faye's. Dora will be just a little taken aback to see Marten walk in with 3 young women. She will be further taken aback when Sven shows no interest in any of them.

And why did Tai really need Momo with her if she's just watching Adventure time? Did she just want to throw Marten on his own with the interns for the lulz or was it "for his own good" to put him in a situation where he has to come up with something on his own merit? Is she training the interns or is she training Marten?

Yes I'm theorizing! And it's silly! Silly is good.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

She is training Momo.

I just had a thought: Think Gabby might be related to Renee from The Secret Bakery (the one with glasses).

Maybe penelope is pizza girl!

Why are we so certain that one of the interns is transgender? ("Transgender" is not a noun, people, it is an adjective - you cannot be a transgender, you are a transgendered person. Or more precisely you are a woman who was born male, or simply a woman.) Did Jeph say so on his Twitter? I don't follow anything other than the comic and the forum.

Jeph made a passing comment on twitter (which I can't find now) asking if all-female colleges allowed transgender students. Forum jumped to conclusions. The world kept turning.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Damn! I'm getting to like Gabby a lot! She has a charmingly simple outlook, IMO.
What do you know about Pokémon?

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Feeling bad for Claire. God knows I've been in that position. She tries to express her affection for something and nobody gives a fuck anymore about halfway through her statement. EVEN THOUGH they were the ones who asked.

I call "kinda impolite jerk" on Marten for this. Or am I just taking this too hard?

(I myself developed a few nice and cozy insecurities that way. Especially the one where you automatically assume no one is interested in or proud of whatever you do, ever. °O)

edit:
Gotta hand it to Jeph here. Art and sequential variation in this one are ridiculously invested. Especially like the white-red "fat" guy in the background of panel 4.
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Feeling bad for Claire. God knows I've been in that position. She tries to express her affection for something and nobody gives a fuck anymore about halfway through her statement. EVEN THOUGH they were the ones who asked.
(I myself developed a few nice and cosy insecurities that way.)

I call "kinda impolite jerk" on Marten for this. Or am I just taking this too hard?

He might be too interested in (one of) the other girls to notice. But still, it is kind of shitty, and not what I'd expect from Marten. I hope this isn't a new trend for him.
What do you know about Pokémon?

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

(I myself developed a few nice and cosy insecurities that way.)

He might be too interested in (one of) the other girls to notice. But still, it is kind of shitty, and not what I'd expect from Marten. I hope this isn't a new trend for him.

Marten's teaching her an important life lesson: Keep your answers/statements concise; we don't need your life's story.

A bit harsh, perhaps, but true.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

It was a bit of a dick move, for sure. For Claire, this could be one of only a few outlets for her (I can see a bit of myself in her in that respect).

I have to agree. Being a jerk doesn't suit Marten's persona (not the one we've been following, anyway).
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Marten's teaching her an important life lesson: Keep your answers/statements concise; we don't need your life's story.

She needs it.

Yeah, I know – comic exaggeration – but she comes across as not capable of functioning socially.

Then again, that's about par for a character in this comic, right?  (How many are in therapy yet?  How many ought to be?  How many left, then?)  Not sure why Claire has me facepalming moreso than the other dysfunctional characters ...
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

rcs

• Not quite a lurker

I think Claire has been much more of a jerk than Marten has been - from "We're GRADUATE STUDENTS" to expecting that they should all stop and listen to her pontificate.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

Exactly... I personally hate musicals so this strip isn't too different from the singing robot. In fact, I preffer the singing robot way more (who wouldn't?). Find her less annoying.

gangler

• Obscure cultural reference

I'm not sure I understand how Marten expressed uninterest here. Seems like he's being pretty polite and directing small-talk questions at each of the group in turn. This seems especially like a situation where if he didn't take a moment to involve the other members in the conversation he'd just be chatting up the most talkative member of the group for the entire trip.

Tanman

• Not quite a lurker

Maybe I'm  nitpicking but it really bothers me that Claire the OCD organizer uses bad grammar when using "their" as a singular pronoun:

"A good librarian educates! Enriches their community!"

Dammit Claire!   :x

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Claire strikes me as a combination of Marigold and Hannelore - obsessive but also a tad acerbic towards outsiders.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

So - which of our intrepid interns will break first?

Claire (WAY too high strung)    27 (50%)
Emily (the book fumes will get to her eventually)    4 (7.4%)
Gabby (Too many whacks to the head.)    3 (5.6%)
Marten (He's gonna just snap one of these days!)    7 (13%)
Tai (She shouldn't have dropped the PCP in with the acid)    2 (3.7%)
Momo (It was inevitable - all that Victorian porn.)    5 (9.3%)
Space Ham!    0 (0%)
EXPLAIN STEAMPUNK!    6 (11.1%)
Er... Waffles?    0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 54
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

Maybe I'm  nitpicking but it really bothers me that Claire the OCD organizer uses bad grammar when using "their" as a singular pronoun:

"A good librarian educates! Enriches their community!"

Dammit Claire!   :x

"They" or "their" is a genderless singular pronoun in English and has been for centuries.

TheEvilDog

That said, I'm somewhat loathe to bring a book with me when I'm travelling, mainly because I always seem to end up destroying them in my backpack, so I bring a kindle with me now.

So... You're happier destroying your Kindle?  :-D

Heh, more like: paperback book + backpack filled to capacity + two flights and attendant checking by security personnel + repeating = mulch by the time I get home.
Kindle + 1/5th the thickness of a book + hard plastic = 50+ books I can choose from anytime I travel

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food

I don't think Marten and the other interns were being particularly rude. They were just carrying on their conversation, and Claire paused mid-stride to pontificate without realizing it.

Claire is a particular type of young adult: takes herself and her chosen profession extremely seriously, out of enthusiasm as much as pride; high-strung, perhaps comes across more mean or single-minded than she really is.  I been there; life will be hard for her, but vastly amusing, in retrospect.   :-\
SQUEEZE BOX
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up