Poll

How often do you do laundry?

Several times a day
Once a day
Two or three times a week
Once a week
Less than once a week

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Doin' Laundry  (Read 11772 times)

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
Re: Doin' Laundry
« Reply #50 on: 24 Jun 2012, 11:23 »

I REALLY enjoy that setup. I think my dream laundry "room" would look something like that. But I've always been partial to the idea of stacking them as well.

I just love those shelves on the doors! Storage makes me drool.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #51 on: 24 Jun 2012, 11:36 »

If I had laundry on the main floor, I'd want front loaders for the same reason as that photo. (What a great space saver!) But they're in the basement (because that's where the hookups are), so I don't care. I love the colorful front loaders, but they are expensive. Our high efficiency machines were half the price of those. So yeah. I'll stick with the boring white machines, but hey, the lid and door to the washer and dryer are clear, so I get to watch stuff. Which was interesting for the first load of laundry I did, but that appeal has kind of worn off now...
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #52 on: 24 Jun 2012, 13:06 »

Like cars, I haven't bught a new washer in years - I buy used, and do repairs.  The one we have now was a old one from a friend (when she bought a new one), so it cost us nothing and saved her the hauling fee.  When the switch under the lid gave out, I bypassed it, so I can leave it open and watch it run... and spin. 

Hard to resist reaching in...

Anyway, I always watch the begining of a load so that I know it's circulating OK.  Stuff just doesn't get clean otherwise...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #53 on: 24 Jun 2012, 15:44 »

You could just put them on a shelf. I bet it costs less than $500 to get a custom-built platform made.
If you made it yourself, sure. In Australia, at least, it would cost more to get a carpenter in to do it. I'm not saying it would be a bad idea, mind you.

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #54 on: 26 Jun 2012, 16:49 »

When I'm not deathly ill (as I have been for months, it seems), I do pretty much all the laundry once a week. My boyfriend is a chef, and has maybe a week and a half's worth of uniforms that cannot be worn more than once between washing, as they get REALLY stinky. I sweat kind of a lot, and wear business casual for work, so I have to at least wash my shirts every time, though I can usually make the pants last 4 days or so.

I put a decent amount of time into finding a split laundry basket, so I can sort clothing as I remove it, instead of having to put all the time into it when it needs washing. So we split it into darks/t-shirts/jeans (cold water), and chef/undershirts/undies/socks (hot water). Sheets and towels go into the hot water side, though I usually only remove them on laundry days, so they rarely even make it into the basket. Towels are used until they smell funky, and I am super sensitive to smells like that, so I am the tester. The boyfriend doesn't even notice.

Sweaters, cardigans, and hoodies take the longest to smell like anything but my body spray or that outside smell, so they very rarely get washed. Every couple weeks I will gather my whole collection of bras (10 of the same bra in different colors. I so rarely find ones that fit me) and wash them all together, in a cold/gentle cycle, then hang them by the center piece, over my shower curtain to dry.

The last bit of laundry I do every month or so is ferret bedding. They have handmade fabric mats and hammocks in their giant cage. And they like to poop on them.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Zingoleb

« Reply #55 on: 27 Jun 2012, 13:19 »

My washing machine is called 'the bathroom sink' and the dryer is called 'wherever I can hang things up to dry' and I do my laundry roughly 'whenever I have no more clean panties'. This has been ongoing for about two years now? Before that I did actual washing machine laundry. Now everything is hand-wash.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #56 on: 27 Jun 2012, 15:14 »

Welcome back, Zingo. 

Keep it clean! 

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #57 on: 30 Jun 2012, 13:40 »

I do laundry a few times a week. See, I have a lot of clothes, but I have several outfits that I really like so I want to wear hem a lot. I do eventually get sick of them though.

Also, I hate washing jeans, they always are hard to dry and I am not sure whether it's the colder weather making me pack on the pounds or the fact that they shrink in the dryer, but they are always tighter when they get out of the laundry. And I already buy them pretty damn tight!

I used to have that same problem until I discovered this simple formula:  jeans = cold water + hang dry

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #58 on: 07 Jul 2012, 06:47 »

We usually do laundry about once a week.  Three loads:  light colors, dark colors, and towels.  There are also some things that we do on a gentle cycle, by themselves, and hang them up to dry.

We have a top-loading washer and a front loading dryer.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #59 on: 07 Jul 2012, 07:34 »

New washing machine is finally being delivered today (it's a top-loader, for all you inquiring minds). We've been laundromatting for the past 4 or so months, since the old one took a dump.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #60 on: 07 Jul 2012, 08:13 »

since the old one took a dump.

Really hard on the clothes. 

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #61 on: 07 Jul 2012, 08:24 »

Smears horribly, too. And the smell is the icing on the (shit)cake.

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #62 on: 07 Jul 2012, 19:05 »

I´ve been going to the laundromat for 4 years or so. I never did the numbers wether it would be cheaper to get a washer and dryer..probably. But I don't want to own huge machines of which I have to take care and all that.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #63 on: 07 Jul 2012, 22:23 »

Washers and dryers tend to be pretty low-maintenance, actually, especially top-loader washers. we've had them last upwards of 10 or 12 years before. But then again, that was back in the day, when things were more built to last.

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
  • Hai. Zorro here. Any CC?
« Reply #64 on: 09 Jul 2012, 05:29 »

I'm a dirty boy, about once every other week. Towels and stuff can handle it well, they dry themselves!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up