THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 17 Apr 2024, 21:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way to set up a form  (Read 2956 times)

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
Best way to set up a form
« on: 21 Jun 2012, 08:57 »

I need some input/direction/suggestions please. I'm making a Creative Request Form for my workplace, so that anyone who needs an ad/flyer/whatever done can just fill it out and send it to me. Even if they know nothing about the process whatsoever, this should make it easy for them to see exactly what I need to get started and it'll streamline the process so there's less of the back-and-forth of "Okay, what is this for? What size will it be?" etc.

What is the easiest way to do this? I made up a nice pretty form on one page and figured we'd just throw it online as a fillable PDF and have people email that to me, but how well does that work? If they hit the "submit by email" button or whatever it says, does it open up their email client and include it as an attachment? What happens if they use webmail instead of, say, Thunderbird/Outlook? I think it would be handy if it opens a window with the file attached and they can write up any instructions or extra info in the email, and that way we've already got a line of communication opened.

I could just do it as a web form, but I'd like to be able to print this stuff out nicely if necessary and I'm pretty sure that just comes through as a text email, right? Also I spent all this time making the form look nice lol. One thing I absolutely want to avoid is people WRITING on the form. I need to be able to easily copy/paste the info onto my document.

I think I might just be making this too hard because I want it to look nice. I suppose I will probably not need to print these out, but I figured it would be easier to quickly see the pertinent info if it's nicely formatted, rather than the wall of text I'd get with a web form.

Here's what it looks like so far... not the final draft...

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
Re: Best way to set up a form
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2012, 09:08 »

Just so you can get some idea of the problems I'm trying to avoid, here's a recent email I received from someone who has never requested any creative before (some info removed for obvious reasons):

"[Manager] asked me to coordinate with you about our upcoming fashion show at 16.
We'd like to get a save the date out asap, and then come back with details in about two weeks.  The basic info you'd need is that it's [date]  from 6-8 with the fashion show at 6:30.  It's at our location [address], and will be a conglomeration of our items and three other boutiques.  The boutiques are [Boutique Name 1], [Boutique Name 2], and [Boutique Name 3].  They're websites are [website 1], [website 2], and [website 3].  Basically this fashion show is going to be a bigger event then we have had in the past, we're going to have a valet, a bar, great food, good music, it needs to be presented as a can't miss event for the end of summer, a fabulous night out.  We're thinking of calling it [Event Name Idea]."

Info I had to ask her for before I could even start on it:
What kind of ad is this? Eblast, newspaper ad, flyer?
If it's a print ad, do you want b/w or color?
If it's an eblast, which mailing lists will it go to?
What kind of artwork do you want?
Do you want the boutique logos in the ad?
Do you want their websites listed or are those for me to pull artwork from?
What is the header and body copy supposed to say? (this is generally supposed to be approved by the manager, I can't just make up my own text)
What is the event ACTUALLY going to be called?

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
Re: Best way to set up a form
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2012, 10:26 »

Oh, and this will be for employees only, not the general public or clients.
Pages: [1]   Go Up