QC PonyLeakers
- 1 (1.8%)
Forumites
- 1 (1.8%)
Something else entirely.
- 1 (1.8%)
"Fans of Questionable Content"
- 9 (16.4%)
Other (please explain for the rest of us)
- 5 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2226-2230 (9-13 July 2012) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread (SDCC Edition 1)  (Read 63167 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

And here we go with the pre-SDCC stuff!
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Is it really that hot in San Diego? I went to a conference in Anaheim last month and it wasn't hot there at all. I don't think San Diego is all that different.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Should be pretty cool (pun intended) in San Diego.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

23C cool?  It would be nice if our UK summer managed to get back up to such dizzy heights!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

It is when it's 40C here...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Barmymoo

• Mentat

23C cool?  It would be horrific if our UK summer managed to get back up to such dizzy heights!

I am definitely going to die in the States this summer. Tell my cats I love them.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch

Only if I get to keep one of them. I imagine British cats are much better for channeling my supervillainy than American cats.
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

I am definitely going to die in the States this summer. Tell my cats I love them.
OK, if you and Edith get up this way, I won't heat the pool. It was 88F yesterday, but cooling today.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

What's that in real numbers?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

A week of Yelling Bird strips, strips that play on fandom shipping, strips that skew events that happened in the strip, and a crossover not seen since......Faye told that one customer she was ugly or some shit from Shortpacked.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

That would be Amber. Sorry, I haven't been following Shortpacked as of late.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

Livestream is up.

cvcharger

• Furry furrier

A week of Yelling Bird strips, strips that play on fandom shipping, strips that skew events that happened in the strip, and a crossover not seen since......Faye told that one customer she was ugly or some shit from Shortpacked.
Shipping?  No way.  What are you talking about?

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

very hard not to vote for the first one ... hope everything's straightened out there

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

Oh god, the shoutbox feed for the livestream is friggin' hilarious.

"Oh god, no Faye! Noooooooo"

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

Way to 'help' there.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

THus the 'oh god no Faye' commentary from the Livesteam  :-D

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Well, I'll throw in an "Aw geez, Marten," right here.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

Well, I'll throw in an "Aw geez, Marten," right here.

I know. "its cool if you make out w/tai"?? It's three extra letters Marten, don't be lazy just because it's a text.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

To be fair, "w/" is a legit abbreviation for "with", there are much more grave sins most texters commit.

Like spelling it "txt".  Taking away that vowel when texting makes you a bad person.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

I'm going to assume that there was a typo and the last message was supposed to be from Pintsize.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

You'd think so, but I don't think Pintsize would be considerate enough to suggest proper lubrication.

Also, Dora's face after Marten's text is priceless.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Boxilar

• Emoticontraindication
  • I have a hat

Dammit, Faye. And, yeah, Marten needs to chill , too. I think maybe alcohol consumption was continued after Dora and Tai left. Except for the post breakup period, Marten is generally a happy drunk. Faye tends to get happily belligerent. Both of them are being asses in thier own special way.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

Dora in panel 3.2 reminded me of Sweet Tits.

If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

And now Dora knows what Tai wants.

Nice going Faye and Marten, great subtle hints.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Did she really not already?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Boomslang

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

Or, alternately- this is actually Faye and Marten keeping Tai from ambushing Dora at the end of the walk- by the time they get to Tai's place, Dora will have had time to think of a way to let Tai down easy rather than react to it instinctively and probably hurtfully.

Dora is a much nicer person when she has a chance to step back and think for a bit.
Having to fight an adult deinonychus with a sharp rock is extremely scary. Granted, I only know this from dreams, but it makes complete sense.

Boxilar

• Emoticontraindication
  • I have a hat

Did she really not already?

Dora dosen't seem to have Padma levels of obliviousness, but, yeah, all evidence points to her being a bit dense on this one issue.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Or, alternately- this is actually Faye and Marten keeping Tai from ambushing Dora at the end of the walk- by the time they get to Tai's place, Dora will have had time to think of a way to let Tai down easy rather than react to it instinctively and probably hurtfully.

That was my reaction when I saw Faye's message - that it was deliberate sabotage.

Marten's message was just confusing whichever way you look at it. As if she needs your permission, sheesh.  :roll:

As for Dora's apparent obliviousness, she could be putting it on, but I wouldn't bet either way.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

To be fair, "w/" is a legit abbreviation for "with", there are much more grave sins most texters commit.

Like spelling it "txt".  Taking away that vowel when texting makes you a bad person.

Actually I was just trolling DSL since I'm quite sure he wasn't berating Marten for his text grammar.

I'm guessing Marten's text was a poor attempt to balance out Faye's inappropriate text. I can just seem him saying "would you please not send that?! Goddammit...*picks up phone*"
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Boxilar

• Emoticontraindication
  • I have a hat

That was my reaction when I saw Faye's message - that it was deliberate sabotage.

Marten's message was just confusing whichever way you look at it. As if she needs your permission, sheesh.  :roll:

As for Dora's apparent obliviousness, she could be putting it on, but I wouldn't bet either way.

Marten's message I get. With a little brain lubricant, it makes sense, kind of. Tai was worried about hooking up with Dora because it would be akward for Marten, who is her friend and co-worker. He has already assured her that he is fine with it. A little alcohol, and to Marten it is important to reassure Dora that he has no problem with her and Tai. From his slightly inebriated point of view, he has done a good thing by assuring both parties that he is fine with them getting together.

Faye, on the other hand, is being an ass.

AngryCallCenterAgent

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • "I can't believe it! I'm doing a Shrek!"
    • I'm such a Twit.

Is it just me, or does Tai's hair look thicker than usual?
"This is the Tech Support! Step away from the complex and delicate electronic equipment! NOW!"

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

... ram WHAT EXACTLY in ?!?

Uh-hu. Webcomic movie. I bet they would get Keanu Reeves for Marten.

But thinking about it, it would be the FIRST webcomic movie ever, wouldnt it ? Then again, maybe we should leave it to a webcomic with less quality to be the first, so it gets popular and QC the movie can get better actors. :D

I wished these imperial units would finally vanish so I could understand what people are talking about. Fahrenheit ? Seriously ? I'm expected to subtract 32, divide through 9, mulitply by 5, all in my head ? Just because you want to freeze water at 32 and boil it at 200-something ? Gah.

You cant even give the weak excuse that Fahrenheit would be more "intuitive" than metric aka Kelvin / Celsius. Because, apparently, people seriously believe that "feet" would be intuitive. Whos feet ? And what the frak is "inch" or "mile" ? And how could stomething like "stone" be ever intuitive at all ?

Six units, everything else defined by these units, and when its thousands its kilo, millions its mega, trillions its giga, one thousands its milli, one millions its micro, etc. THATS intuitive.
Carpe Diem

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Marten's message I get. With a little brain lubricant, it makes sense, kind of. Tai was worried about hooking up with Dora because it would be akward for Marten, who is her friend and co-worker. He has already assured her that he is fine with it. A little alcohol, and to Marten it is important to reassure Dora that he has no problem with her and Tai. From his slightly inebriated point of view, he has done a good thing by assuring both parties that he is fine with them getting together.

You're right - the alcohol does explain it. I can see why he thinks he's helping, but he's not.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I'm going to assume that there was a typo and the last message was supposed to be from Pintsize.
I suspect "Faye's" texts both came from Pintsize. Forging SMS messages would be right up his street.

Edit:
Fahrenheit ? Seriously ? I'm expected to subtract 32, divide through 9, mulitply by 5, all in my head ? Just because you want to freeze water at 32 and boil it at 200-something ? Gah.
Let us not forget that Daniel Gabriel Farenheit was German...
« Last Edit: 09 Jul 2012, 00:04 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Skaltura

• Furry furrier

Because we're apparently all about the tangents here, my favourite unit is the Outhouse aka one microbarn. :angel:

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

And the milliHelen, a unit of beauty sufficient to launch one ship.

Dora's tweet raises an interesting question. There must be sentient phones in the QC universe. Why haven't we seen one? What are they like? What do they do with their intelligence?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

My favourite is the catty (斤), because it is divided into sixteen tael...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Boxilar

• Emoticontraindication
  • I have a hat

I wished these imperial units would finally vanish so I could understand what people are talking about. Fahrenheit ? Seriously ? I'm expected to subtract 32, divide through 9, mulitply by 5, all in my head ? Just because you want to freeze water at 32 and boil it at 200-something ? Gah.

You cant even give the weak excuse that Fahrenheit would be more "intuitive" than metric aka Kelvin / Celsius. Because, apparently, people seriously believe that "feet" would be intuitive. Whos feet ? And what the frak is "inch" or "mile" ? And how could stomething like "stone" be ever intuitive at all ?

Six units, everything else defined by these units, and when its thousands its kilo, millions its mega, trillions its giga, one thousands its milli, one millions its micro, etc. THATS intuitive.

We gave a solid run at adopting the metric system in the States in the late 70s and early 80s. Road signs were printed in both miles and kilometers. Speedometers had two sets of numbers for the same. Auto manufacturers started switching to metric nuts and bolts as imports and shared platforms became more prevalent in the U.S. Working on a mid 80s GM, Ford or Chrysler product can be frustrating when the bolt you're loosening is metric and the one next to it is SAE.

The whole thing kind of fizzled out in the late 80s. There was never the political will to force the switch and there was real resistance to the idea, especially after that one Canadian airliner ran out of fuel mid flight because the ground crew didn't understand the difference between gallons and liters. The military still uses Kliks and meters for the most part, but the military does love their tradition so hoary units of measure like the knot are still used for ship and aircraft speed.

Adopting the metric system would be a good idea, but I don't see it happening here anytime soon. Can't have the Gubbmint telling us what to do, after all. It wouldn't be 'Murrican.

You're right - the alcohol does explain it. I can see why he thinks he's helping, but he's not.

I agree. And I'll be suprised if Dora dosen't let Marten and Faye know how unhelpful they've been.
« Last Edit: 09 Jul 2012, 00:44 by Boxilar »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Let us not forget that Daniel Gabriel Farenheit was German...

Let us also not forget that Celsius's original scale had water boiling as 0 degrees, and freezing as 100 degrees!  It was the botanist Linnaeus who turned it around to make the final version.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.

Imperial is fun.. 1760 yards in a mile you say? I shall sneer and laugh in my sophisticated old-world manner :D

Dora's second to last reaction face killed me!
Great comiiiiic.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

How many different lengths of mile can you think of?  You have ten seconds...

When you've done that, try the same for the weight of an ounce... volume of a pint...

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

I suspect "Faye's" texts both came from Pintsize. Forging SMS messages would be right up his street.

I dunno...at the second message (or First!), there would've be implications of overt sexual acts that would've made Dora throw her phone into traffic in disgust.  OMG, JUST LEZ OUT ALREADY!! or something similar. He would get to the point already and just say it.

The ones sent by Faye is tame by Pintsize standards.

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.

How many different lengths of mile can you think of?  You have ten seconds...

When you've done that, try the same for the weight of an ounce... volume of a pint...

Ugh... nautical mile and... do they say "long" and "short" mile?
I know it´s done with ton. Long ton, short ton, metrical ton (tonne?).

Anyway, we use pounds too for foodstuffs and such.
For all I know the german navy uses sea-miles and knots and what not so...

WAYF

• Beyoncé

I guess Marten might have wanted to get the message across in a more civilized way. Apart from assuring her that it's alright (Tai had that doubt, so it's not unreasonable to think that Dora might), I think he might have assumed that after Faye's message, there wasn't a lot he could say that would be more embarrassing.
I also think the deliberate-sabotage-to-prevent-Dora-from-being-startled idea has considerable merit. After all, for all the signals that Tai has given of her attraction to Dora, not an awful lot of them have actually gone Dora's way. Dora did once dismiss the idea of a relationship between her and Tai ... um, enTairely. Maybe the possibility just hasn't occurred to her yet.

What I'm getting from this is that Faye and Marten are serious Dora/Tai shippers. :P

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Dora did once dismiss the idea of a relationship between her and Tai ... um, enTairely.

Actually, that seems rather ambivalent to me.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

*bzzzt bzzzt*
*drunk bubbles pour out of phone*

WAYF

• Beyoncé

I was going to say "Somebody reasonable like HANNELORE would have stopped them from drunk texting", but then I remembered that Hannelore has a considerable voyeuristic streak. :P
Come to think of it, I don't know if anybody COULD have stopped them.

EDIT - Wow, Dora and Tai are walking home at 3 in the morning. That was a gooood party.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

The military still uses Kliks and meters for the most part, but the military does love their tradition so hoary units of measure like the knot are still used for ship and aircraft speed.
It's nothing to do with tradition, a knot is one nautical mile per hour, and the nautical mile corresponds roughly to one minute of arc of longitude on the equator, or one minute of arc of latitude on any meridian. It facilitates the use of charts.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up