QC PonyLeakers
- 1 (1.8%)
Forumites
- 1 (1.8%)
Something else entirely.
- 1 (1.8%)
"Fans of Questionable Content"
- 9 (16.4%)
Other (please explain for the rest of us)
- 5 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2226-2230 (9-13 July 2012) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread (SDCC Edition 1)  (Read 63145 times)

ASmellyOgre

• Plantmonster

Okay, I am completely satisfied with leaving this arc here for a week.  That comic was incredibly well-done.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Yes, and Tai's thing for Dora is snow out in the open.

Oh, my.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch

Well I was prepared to say RAWR! But i suppose I don't have to now. Though I wonder how Dora will evade Faye's questioning. I am assuming with the broadsword
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Tai is growing up. She kept her pants on.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Boxilar

• Emoticontraindication
  • I have a hat

And broke Dora at the same time. Good comic.

RyanW1019

• Larger than most fish
  • PARALYSIS BY ANALYSIS

Tai confessed her feelings to Dora!!! What will happen now? Will Dora use this to get over her issues? Will the plotline remain forever unresolved? :psyduck: :psyduck:

Also, we need to come up with a term for fans of QC. Somebody tried QC-kies earlier; I suggest we just go straight to QuiCkies.  :lol:

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page

[...]

You are confusing Air Canada 143 (ground crew and pilot error with respect to converting to metric, confounded by Fuel Monitoring System malfunction) with Air Transat 236 (fuel leak and pilot error).

I didn't realise that there were two incidents.  After all, they both involved Canadian airlines that safely glided.

She also gave Dora something to think about.   Hopefully, Dora would think about the advice Tai gave her.
« Last Edit: 09 Jul 2012, 22:43 by HiFranc »
Francisco

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

*Sound effect of the USS Excelsior from STIII*
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!

Quote from: Jeph in the Newspost of #2227
Dang, Tai.

More like Daaaaaaannggg, Tai! Amirite?

*Sound effect of the USS Excelsior from STIII*
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Tai may not be completely clear on what she's after. She offered Dora an NSA hookup earlier: trying to do that with someone you're crazy about is asking for trouble.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

She was joking - when Dora appeared to be up for it, she was clearly not actually.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Litch

• Not quite a lurker

Tai with the double reverse fake out wins. You think she gets all the chicks just because she's cuter that a Labrador Retriever puppy? She know the mind of women and how to set the hook and land the big ones.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I think Tai is clear about what she wants, but not how to get it. This strategy seems wiser than her previous approaches.

QC fans should be "QC-kers" IMHO.

@Akima There's a new Android-based RAZR.
If a RAZR fell in a forest of droidphones, did anybody care? It's been a long time since Motorola was cool.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Smerf

• Emoticontraindication

...that's it, I'm stealing Tai's line.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

Great, now Dora has to drive home with her head full of fuck.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I never thought that Tai was a genius. 

Until now...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

I was kind of hoping she would do something like this, but wasn't expecting anything quite that impressive.

Edit: Poll was a no-brainer.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.

Nooo, I don't want cutesy romance I demand cynicism and utterly downtrodden characters  :-(

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

Good comic today! Well played, Mr. Jacques.

She also gave Dora something to think about.

I bet she'd like to give dora something to think about hurr hurr.

Also, we need to come up with a term for fans of QC.

QC-pies :angel:

SPK

• Not quite a lurker

Tai...acting in a mature manner when under the effect of drunk bubbles???  :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

Never liked Tai too much as a character personally, but this sent up my respect level for her a few points.

I love this comic, well done Jeph!

WAYF

• Beyoncé

Every so often, I think "Jeph Jacques is a genius".
Usually this is when he saves the finest punchlines for the most depressing parts of a given story arc, because well-done catharsis makes me feel good about life.

I still think it applies here though. While this story arc hasn't been depressing, it had enormous potential to go wrong, in a 'characters-making-bad-decisions' kind of way. Personally, I was prepared for a certain level of misunderstanding (which could easily have been facilitated by the text messages) which, while getting Tai's attraction to Dora out in the open, would have made things really awkward between them for the next hundred strips or so. Or they could have done too much too soon, regretted it, and made things really awkward between them for the next hundred strips or so.

This was neither, and it was fantastic. ;D

EDIT:- Oh! By the way, nice callback!
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2012, 04:02 by WAYF »

techkid

• Disqualified from the human race for shoving

Damn if that doesn't come up in Dora's next therapy session...

Despite the beatings Marten and Faye are going to get (not so much being "in her face" as more "up her ass" in that situation), I'd say she handled it pretty well. And given her boyfriend history (I remember it mentioned in the comic that Dora's past boyfriends were all douchebags, but I forget which), she's probably never actually been wooed before (Marten was a nice guy, but he never really went out of his way to be nice to Dora, it was just "what he does"), so this may actually work. Best of luck...
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

I never thought that Tai was a genius. 

Until now...

+1

That was brilliant
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

damn.

just damn.

tai is one high level playa.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I agree with the "QC-kers". (pronounced "cue-see-kers")
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

El_Flesh

• BANNED
  • Emoticontraindication

I found it really good not because of how Tai is going about revealing her feelings, (which is pretty slick) but how with just a few sentences, she can change Dora right the hell around 180 and her life is suddenly different.

It's amazing the power words can have.

Somebody

• Curry sauce

Make it "Questionables" and you have my vote.

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food

Well, jwhouk now has a new poll to run, anyway. I like "Questionables".

= = =

Tai has always presented as something of a character without a lot of depth: the freewheeling party-girl lesbian hookup artist, out to have a good time, and not taken too seriously when it comes to personal life. Neither Marten nor Faye seemed to take Tai as much of a possibility other than a one-night stand, a NSA hookup. Now Tai has suddenly shown such character, with such good dialogue, to the point of being about the only character to really appreciate Dora in a certain way, the storyline opens way, way up.

SQUEEZE BOX

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

What would be worse than texts from Pintsize? Texts from drunken Pintsize (or under the effects of video card drivers Pintsize)
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

My first reaction was "Very smooth, Tai. Veeeeeryy smoooth."

Seriously. She baffled me. And Dora too, apparently.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

Did Dora have girlfriends before? Pretty sure we haven't heard about it yet.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Idea for a QC spinoff/sequel/buddy movie:

Tai and Hanners.
Helping the world get over its shit, one person at a time.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Carl-E

• Awakened

Assuming she goes back. 

...she can change Dora right the hell around 180 and her life is suddenly different.

The whole "You got issues?  So does everybody else!" (I'm OK / you're OK) attitude keeps a lot of people who need help from getting it.  Dora may well self sabotage this, too, assuming it goes where it looks like it's heading. 

We'll see...

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.

Tai...acting in a mature manner when under the effect of drunk bubbles???  :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

Never liked Tai too much as a character personally, but this sent up my respect level for her a few points.

I love this comic, well done Jeph!

Agreed. In fact, I'm actually starting to like the idea of Tai and Dora getting together...

Did Dora have girlfriends before? Pretty sure we haven't heard about it yet.

I was thinking about the same thing. Sven's comment about her past boyfriends implies no more than yes. And we do know that she found out she liked girls via Veronica Vance, so it's possible she's never even had a drunken experiment. It's not so rare for someone to be bisexual without ever having actually experienced the 'other side'.

Edit: then again, she was in a coven, and who knows what those witchy types get up to in the dead of night.
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2012, 07:58 by TinPenguin »

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2012, 08:28 by celticgeek »
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Carl-E

• Awakened

Dora has said that she loves adorable little butch girls.

That may not have been a "active" verb.  I mean, I "love" old VW's, but... well... you know, not that way...

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

New poll is gonna have to wait until I'm a bit more awake to put it up. Keep the suggestions coming, though.
Just another Joe like 46

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Assuming she goes back. 

...she can change Dora right the hell around 180 and her life is suddenly different.

The whole "You got issues?  So does everybody else!" (I'm OK / you're OK) attitude keeps a lot of people who need help from getting it.  Dora may well self sabotage this, too, assuming it goes where it looks like it's heading. 

We'll see...

I didn't particularly think that was a smart play by Tai either, which is why I question the kinda relationship that Tai and Dora would have.  Tai cares for Dora, that much is evident.  But the whole, you're fucked up, I'm fucked up, everyone is fucked up really solves nothing.  It's like telling Marty, hey man, you're passive, and that's cool, even if it screws you over a lot.   :psyduck:

While I agree with another who said that Tai is one of the first to actively go for Dora, given Tai's tendencies and character so far as a party lesbian player of epic proportions, those too shacking up seems like a recipe for disaster should it happen.  I may be way over analyzing this, as Tai said some good things and also some really short sighted things, like panel 3.  Just covering up "issues" with "ass kicking".  I know Tai was trying to make Dora feel better, but that's a callous statement.  Obvious Dora was more than just "issues".  She has massive mental and relational blocks stemming from dating "douche bags".  So the "holding yourself to a higher standard" is the cause of her issues.  Well, not really Tai. Bah, maybe I'm over analyzing this as this appeared to be meant as a sweet stripe, but...urghgh.

Dora really needs to finish her counseling...Don't fill her head with nonsense Tai.  Her counseling is finally starting to help.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I happened to look again and just noticed the difference between the last two panels, didn't notice the redness the first time.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Dora has said that she loves adorable little butch girls.

That may not have been a "active" verb.  I mean, I "love" old VW's, but... well... you know, not that way...

So that wasn't you on that website then?  Good.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

...that's it, I'm stealing Tai's line.

Oh man totally. Tai won so many high fives from me.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

Dora, you are so adorable.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Some posters with way more knowledge of therapy matters than I have, question Tai's approach of "You have issues and so does everyone else," as being dismissive of Dora's "issues." (I hate that word when used that wayi but can't think of anything better at the moment.) I don't want to deny the validity of that viewpoint, but I read Tai's dialogue as trying to persuade Dora to not deny her achievements because she has problems in other areas -- an interpretation I wholeheartedly support, especially when I'm trying to give myself a pep talk.

I am reminded of the mini-storm a couple decades back when some disability advocates were quoted as decrying stories about physically disabled people doing extraordinary things (climbing mountains, sailing solo, etc.) ... the phrase used was "another supercrip story," opposition to which was based on the idea that such stories denied the difficulties in every day life faced by physically disabled people. I never understood that viewpoint; figuring the story of, say, a one-legged man sailing solo across the ocean might inspire another person in a wheelchair to deal with more mundane challenges. I also remember that mini-storm faded quickly without active media support; I think people as a whole would rather be inspired than discouraged.

tl;dr? Tai's heart is in the right place, even if her foot is occasionally in her mouth. And certainly Dora is the most conventionally successful of the main QC characters (I said "conventionally;" the Svens of the world, into whose laps success falls, are anomalies, no matter what the late-night get-rich commercials say.)
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

This one made me happy. I am proud of Tai for handling the situation in a mature and smooth manner. She got her feelings across without being pushy and at the same time told Dora something she really needed to hear.

Also, Dora's blushing is so fricking adorable, I almost melted.

It helps that these are the two characters I most identify with.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

someone

• BANNED
  • Not quite a lurker

Gee, Tai is such an intuitive strong presense! Good job.

I know when my daughter goes off to college in four years, I hope she gets to be friends with the dorm slut who spends all day backing with a robot then getting drunk on expensive wine and hitting on her former boyfriend's ex. That is classic. Such neeto hipster cool.

But wait, there's more! She gives her big crush a pep talk on everyone has problems so deal (my wife is a psychologist so I ran this by her and she cringes at that blather) but she does say to her friend in therapy you have good qualities (good) and that is why I want you (disgustingly manipulative of someone you know is in therapy).

I know the hipster kids here think this is just great but it is repulsive. Tai is gross. She uses the term polymory to rationalize dorm room orgies, gets wasted all the time, now at work, hits on her friend's girl friend the day after they break up, and is generally a self involved doof. The perfect hero for this crowd given this forum.

Then there is Marten who almost has a cuck fetish about this. Giving his ex a pep talk to jump in bed with the drunk slut. Kind of weird.

I remember recenlty my former favorite comic Girls with Slingshots just spun into outer space weirdness to the point where I not only did not read it anymore, but I didn't miss it. As much as I have loved this comic over the years, as much as it pissed me off at times but I always crawled back, I  seem to be hitting that point.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Appreciation of this comic and its story is nothing to do with anyone here being hipsters.  In any case, even among the younger members of this forum, that tendency is pretty much muted or absent.

Did your wife comment on her own reading of the comic (enough to understand the back-story and appreciate the development of the characters), or on your report of it?  Because if you summarised it for her using the kind of language you're using here, I would say she wasn't actually commenting on the comic at all!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.

@someone:

a) I think you are forgetting that Tai, like Sven, has undergone something of an unslutting since her first appearance.

b) Tai never told Dora to ignore her issues, just that everyone has them and they shouldn't cause you to deny your strengths. As for calling her behaviour manipulative, it's not like Dora's issues are that serious. Not 'daddy-blew-his-brains-out' serious.

c) As for Marten's casual acceptance of it all, this is mainly because he genuinely is over Dora (in turn this is mainly thanks to Padma).

[pseudopsychology]However, I wonder if some of it is down to Tai being a girl. Or more importantly, not a man. If this were to occur with, say, Steve or any of Marten's male friends, it would sting of betrayal. That's a biological instinct (and a bro-logical instinct). But because Tai is female (and therefore not about to pump her genes into Dora), she isn't perceived as a threat in the same way.[/pseudopsychology]

WAYF

• Beyoncé

I've never reported a post before. Excuse me while I go and read the guidelines for what is and is not acceptable to post.

EDIT:- Looks fine. Guess I just strongly disagree with more or less every aspect of it, that's all. And it's all academic if Hodges is reading.
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2012, 12:08 by WAYF »

VonKleist

• First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.

Certainly was a mouthful.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Who's the one person you do NOT want to get a Text from?

Pintsize, of course. (If you have to ask...)    22 (34.9%)
Drunk Faye. (She'd be asking how long it is/big they are.)    2 (3.2%)
Drunk Marten. (He'd be all emo about it.)    3 (4.8%)
Angry Dora. (You didn't know she can swear in Swahili, right? Dad taught her.)    2 (3.2%)
Mopey Marigold. (You ever read her tweets?)    5 (7.9%)
Hannelore. (Most of it would be OHGODOHGODOHGOD GERMS OHGODOHGODOHGOD)    1 (1.6%)
One of Sven's Ex's (And he gave her YOUR phone number!)    3 (4.8%)
Yelling Bird. (Have you seen HIS Tweets?)    13 (20.6%)
Station. (He has you on targeting radar... what's that red dot on your forehead?)    5 (7.9%)
PWHodges ("I'm sorry, there's a problem with the forum software. It'll be down indefinitely.")    4 (6.3%)
Tai (and you're not even FEMALE!)    2 (3.2%)
Your choice (and why, please)    1 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 63
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up