QC PonyLeakers
- 1 (1.8%)
Forumites
- 1 (1.8%)
Something else entirely.
- 1 (1.8%)
"Fans of Questionable Content"
- 9 (16.4%)
Other (please explain for the rest of us)
- 5 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2226-2230 (9-13 July 2012) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread (SDCC Edition 1)  (Read 62960 times)

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

[ ... ] But thinking about it, it would be the FIRST webcomic movie ever, wouldnt it ? [ ... ]

Nope, see Piled Higher and Deeper. :)
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

It's nothing to do with tradition, a knot is one nautical mile per hour, and the nautical mile corresponds roughly to one minute of arc of longitude on the equator, or one minute of arc of latitude on any meridian. It facilitates the use of charts.

This illustrates the use of practical "friendly" units that relate to the task in hand rather than some all-encompassing ideal like the SI units scheme.  Note for instance the continued informal use of "livre" or "pfund" in France or Germany when talking about groceries.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

Dora did once dismiss the idea of a relationship between her and Tai ... um, enTairely.

Not really. Dora just misunderstood Tai's awkwardness, is all.

I was going to say "Somebody reasonable like HANNELORE would have stopped them from drunk texting", but then I remembered that Hannelore has a considerable voyeuristic streak. :P

True that. But Hannelore's methods would probably involve asking Pintsize to remote connect to Dora's phone to record their conversations (and waiting for the canoodling to begin...)
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Personally, I thought the texts were a wonderful way to let Dora know that Tai's intentions may not be entirely honourable, while having a little fun.

And man, Dora's expressions are priceless!

Although I love this strip - I think I'd rather see Schlock Mercenary as a web-comic movie.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

I wished these imperial units would finally vanish so I could understand what people are talking about. Fahrenheit ? Seriously ? I'm expected to subtract 32, divide through 9, mulitply by 5, all in my head ? Just because you want to freeze water at 32 and boil it at 200-something ? Gah.
You cant even give the weak excuse that Fahrenheit would be more "intuitive" than metric aka Kelvin / Celsius. Because,apparently, people seriously believe that "feet" would be intuitive. Whos feet ? And what the frak is "inch" or "mile" ? And how could stomething like "stone" be ever intuitive at all ?
Six units, everything else defined by these units, and when its thousands its kilo, millions its mega, trillions its giga, one thousands its milli, one millions its micro, etc. THATS intuitive.
I agree. It's a sign of American exceptionalism. We're too exceptional to do the sensible thing. I've been using some F and/or C references on the C25K thread. I'm OK with translating units every time; keeps my brain sharp. Now I gotta Google on metric  time units.

Boomslang

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

Interestingly, there are a lot of times us here in the US where we use both systems in slightly different context- I hear people talk about a 2 liter of soda all the time, but it's still a gallon of milk. If you know someone who uses marijuana, both grams and fractions of an ounce come up regularly. People use guns and bullets with caliber (100ths of an inch) and millimeter designations alternately or interchangeably, alongside the 'gauge' system for shotguns, with grains or milligrams for the weights of various things.

I think the real issue isn't that we can't use the metric system, it's that we're trying to juggle both systems simultaneously.
Having to fight an adult deinonychus with a sharp rock is extremely scary. Granted, I only know this from dreams, but it makes complete sense.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I'm going to assume that there was a typo and the last message was supposed to be from Pintsize.
I suspect "Faye's" texts both came from Pintsize. Forging SMS messages would be right up his street.

Not like it hasn't happened before... he DID hack into her Twitter account a few years back...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

So Jeph's going to be headed to SDCC (We hope) - What's that mean for us?

Hopefully a healthy Cristi and a wonderful time in San Diego!    15 (42.9%) <-- WINNAH WINNAH Chicken DINNAH!
Hot weather. It's gonna be HOT.    2 (5.7%)
Creepers and stalkers and cosplayers - Oh my!    6 (17.1%)
A week of... guest strips. (And THEY'RE all gonna be in SD too... BOO!)    4 (11.4%)
Jeph meets with a Hollywood producer, and QC: The Movie hits theaters in 2013!    2 (5.7%)
Yeah, right.    2 (5.7%)
Waffles, Spathe Ham, Yellow Mellow (???) and Nicijou!    0 (0%)
Some new meme will suddenly take off this week!    1 (2.9%)
Who knows? I'm just here for the party.    3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Personally, I thought the texts were a wonderful way to let Dora know that Tai's intentions may not be entirely honourable, while having a little fun.

Although I love this strip - I think I'd rather see Schlock Mercenary as a web-comic movie.

But who would you get to play Schlock?

Oh, wait, I know.

Charlie Sheen.
Just another Joe like 46

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building

This poll is incredibly difficult and requires some concentrated thought.

VonKleist

• First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.

Yes it does and after some pondering I decided to go with either Pintsize or drunk Faye.

tee hee..

"ram it in"

hilarious *wipes tear*

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food

Dora's expression may make it onto the list of top 10 QC panels ever.

Now, will this play into Dora's control issues? Her closest friends drunk-text-trolling a hookup which Dora may-or-may-not have seen coming: that might just push Dora's buttons.
SQUEEZE BOX

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

But who would you get to play Schlock?

Oh, wait, I know.

Charlie Sheen.

The voice of Schlock needs to be by Mark Hamil - the man is a really good voice actor.  and to keep the familal relationship Tagon can be Keiffer Sutherland and General (Ret'd) Tagon by Donald.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

I tend to prefer the FFF system of units for everyday use.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

PHDrillSergeant

• Plantmonster
  • aka PonyToast
    • True Equestria Radio

I envision that Dora and Tai WILL start getting into it, but there is the slight problem of Tai's piercing.

(a) she goes to get a dental damn and kills the mood
(b) she forgets the dental dam and gets an infection.
PonyToast

Host, True Equestria Radio
http://trueequestriaradio.com

VonKleist

• First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.

lol wasn't that forever ago?

no one special

• Curry sauce
  • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.

Because we're apparently all about the tangents here, my favourite unit is the Outhouse aka one microbarn. :angel:

"My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it!"

Fahrenheit ? Seriously ? I'm expected to subtract 32, divide through 9, mulitply by 5, all in my head ? Just because you want to freeze water at 32 and boil it at 200-something ? Gah.

The interesting thing is that Britain only started switching to the metric system in 1965, and didn't start issuing mandatory orders for the switch until 1978.  So it's not like like America has been this longstanding bastion for imperial unit supremacy - even Britain only made it mandatory 30 years ago - and imperial units are still widespread over there.  Interesting.
Quote from: Kai
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Just for fun, the UK's Traffic Signs Manual requires that roadworks warning signs are placed at 200m intervals, and simultaneously requires that the signs contain indications in multiples of 200 yards.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Boxilar

• Emoticontraindication
  • I have a hat

Just for fun, the UK's Traffic Signs Manual requires that roadworks warning signs are placed at 200m intervals, and simultaneously requires that the signs contain indications in multiples of 200 yards.

That sounds like fun. I think we've mostly abandoned the metric system for the U.S. highway system. Road signs only have distances and speed limits in miles now.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

I think we've mostly abandoned the metric system for the U.S. highway system. Road signs only have distances and speed limits in miles now.
The last time I saw a metric sign in the U.S. was on the interstate between Tucson and Nogales, AZ.
The U.S. should have gone metric around the time Canada and the UK did. We couldn't do that! We're special!
But as I think about it, the proximity of the UK to Europe, starting with trade and tourism, must have made it easier there. Canada switched about the same time. But Canada's practically a grownup.
This thread perhaps should go to DISCUSS, unless it's ready to die a natural death.
« Last Edit: 09 Jul 2012, 12:13 by Redball »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

We still use miles in the UK; not a kilometre to be seen, and no clear plans to change yet.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

That's a surprise. Didn't some UK shopkeepers get in trouble years ago for making sales in imperial units instead of metric? Pounds instead of kg?

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

For the majority of cases, metric is the official system is the UK, but we still use imperial for distance, milk, and beer. And colloquially for height and weight.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Who's the one person you do NOT want to get a Text from?

Pintsize, of course. (If you have to ask...)    9 (39.1%)
Drunk Faye. (She'd be asking how long it is/big they are.)    1 (4.3%)
Drunk Marten. (He'd be all emo about it.)    0 (0%)
Angry Dora. (You didn't know she can swear in Swahili, right? Dad taught her.)    2 (8.7%)
Mopey Marigold. (You ever read her tweets?)    1 (4.3%)
Hannelore. (Most of it would be OHGODOHGODOHGOD GERMS OHGODOHGODOHGOD)    0 (0%)
One of Sven's Ex's (And he gave her YOUR phone number!)    2 (8.7%)
Yelling Bird. (Have you seen HIS Tweets?)    3 (13%)
Station. (He has you on targeting radar... what's that red dot on your forehead?)    3 (13%)
PWHodges ("I'm sorry, there's a problem with the forum software. It'll be down indefinitely.")    1 (4.3%)
Tai (and you're not even FEMALE!)    1 (4.3%)
Your choice (and why, please)    0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 23
Just another Joe like 46

Barmymoo

• Mentat

It's an EU legal requirement that everything is sold in metric weights, so many market stall holders have both the lb and g prices on their produce. They also have to be able to weigh sufficiently accurately in grams - there's a regulation about how accurate the scales need to be.

I use feet and inches for how tall I am, centimetres for the circumference of my waist, inches for the circumference of my chest, kilograms for what I weigh, lbs for how much I've lost, miles for distance, and so forth. I think I was still being taught to convert from imperial to metric at school - and also vague memories of converting old money to new (and I was born in 1991!).
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page

[...]

especially after that one Canadian airliner ran out of fuel mid flight because the ground crew didn't understand the difference between gallons and liters. The military still uses Kliks and meters for the most part, but the military does love their tradition so hoary units of measure like the knot are still used for ship and aircraft speed.

Actually that's what the film of the incident stated.  However, if you look at a documentary of the incident (aka the Air Transat glider incident), what actually happened was that there was a fuel leak.  From what I remember of the Air Crash Investigation's episode on it:

The leak was in an unusual location (i.e. it was leaking through the engine) so the warnings that came up in the cockpit were unusual so the captain suspected it was a problem with computer software.  Even the ground-based technician the he called suspected it was a computer fault.  Therefore, the captain didn't take the action necessary to stop the fuel leaking.  It was lucky that ATC had diverted him earlier, due to weather conditions, otherwise the plane would not have been in gliding range of the Azores.

It was a twin engine Airbus with Rolls Royce engines.

The investigators found that the initial fault had been that a technician had put a part designed for another Rolls Royce engine in that engine because he didn't have the one for that particular engine to hand.

Whilst the air crew were hailed as heroes for getting the airline down safely, the investigators criticised them for not using their common sense and shutting down the number 2 engine.
Francisco

Boxilar

• Emoticontraindication
  • I have a hat

Ouch. That's as bad as the DC10 getting a bad rap for a major design flaw, when in reality it was rushed maintinence procedures that caused the engine pylons to develop cracks and drop engines in mid flight.

It's an EU legal requirement that everything is sold in metric weights, so many market stall holders have both the lb and g prices on their produce. They also have to be able to weigh sufficiently accurately in grams - there's a regulation about how accurate the scales need to be.

I use feet and inches for how tall I am, centimetres for the circumference of my waist, inches for the circumference of my chest, kilograms for what I weigh, lbs for how much I've lost, miles for distance, and so forth. I think I was still being taught to convert from imperial to metric at school - and also vague memories of converting old money to new (and I was born in 1991!).

I grew up with Imperial mesurements and still have to do minor mental gymnastics when I'm presented with anything in metrics.  Grumble, grumble, 1.6 kilometers to a mile, 2.2 pounds to a kilogram and so forth. I guess it's the way my brain is wired. I know what a gallon or a foot or pound look and feel like. I have to think about metrics. Not logical, but there it is.
« Last Edit: 09 Jul 2012, 13:31 by Boxilar »

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page

Ouch. That's as bad as the DC10 getting a bad rap for a major design flaw, when in reality it was rushed maintinence procedures that caused the engine pylons to develop cracks and drop engines in mid flight.

The DC10 did have a design flaw but the flaw that I am aware of wasn't anything to do with the engines.

Under US and International Law it should be impossible for a plane's baggage door to seem to be locked when it isn't.  It that happens then you can get explosive decompression.  It happened twice!  The first time DC10s were grounded but the head of the NTSB overruled the order and had a gentleman's agreement with the head of McDonald Douglas to rectify the problem.  They did make a couple alterations that allowed a baggage handler to (one of them was a small window in the door to the baggage compartment) see if it didn't lock properly but did not issue any guidance do the industry of how to use its modifications.  When the second crash occurred the baggage hander was blamed in the first instance but, after the 2nd investigation was complete, DC10s were grounded until the flaw as corrected.

Let's get this back on topic (sort of):

What phone is Dora using?
Francisco

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

I envision that Dora and Tai WILL start getting into it, but there is the slight problem of Tai's piercing.

And she's allergic to latex!!

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.

I am pretty sure that by this point the healing is long over and anything that could happen can happen.

Of course, Faye and Marten are doing their level unintentional best to deep-six anything happening to the bottom of the Mariana Trench, but maybe Dora will R-R-RAM IT IN yet! Or maybe Tai will get let down, levels of "easiness" to be determined.

Secretly I hope that R-R-RAM IT IN will happen just for memetic fulfillment, but it is looking like the logical conclusion is the other end of the spectrum.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Skaltura

• Furry furrier

[...]

especially after that one Canadian airliner ran out of fuel mid flight because the ground crew didn't understand the difference between gallons and liters. The military still uses Kliks and meters for the most part, but the military does love their tradition so hoary units of measure like the knot are still used for ship and aircraft speed.

Actually that's what the film of the incident stated.  However, if you look at a documentary of the incident (aka the Air Transat glider incident), what actually happened was that there was a fuel leak.  From what I remember of the Air Crash Investigation's episode on it:

The leak was in an unusual location (i.e. it was leaking through the engine) so the warnings that came up in the cockpit were unusual so the captain suspected it was a problem with computer software.  Even the ground-based technician the he called suspected it was a computer fault.  Therefore, the captain didn't take the action necessary to stop the fuel leaking.  It was lucky that ATC had diverted him earlier, due to weather conditions, otherwise the plane would not have been in gliding range of the Azores.

It was a twin engine Airbus with Rolls Royce engines.

The investigators found that the initial fault had been that a technician had put a part designed for another Rolls Royce engine in that engine because he didn't have the one for that particular engine to hand.

Whilst the air crew were hailed as heroes for getting the airline down safely, the investigators criticised them for not using their common sense and shutting down the number 2 engine.

You are confusing Air Canada 143 (ground crew and pilot error with respect to converting to metric, confounded by Fuel Monitoring System malfunction) with Air Transat 236 (fuel leak and pilot error).

Boxilar

• Emoticontraindication
  • I have a hat

@HiFrank; Some kind of blackberry? As a small business owner, I doubt she'd blow money on the newest and most up to date tech. I think she'd stick to an older phone until it finaly broke for good and she had to upgrade.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Shouldn't a Goth have acquired a RAZR?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

She had that same phone back when Marten's dad visited way back when.

I suspect she probably got it as part of a business deal with a cell phone store in the Pioneer Valley that was selling corporate plans with multiple phones - which led to all the barista girls getting them at CoD, as well as Marty.
Just another Joe like 46

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

At the risk of sounding like a QC-Trekkie (A QC-kie?) ...

We've seen Marten with an iPhone or one of its lookalikes and Faye with a flip phone.

If I'm wrong or out of date, please correct me. Frankly, I'll take it as a sign I have a life.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

It just occured to me that Faye doesn't actually think Dora should date now; maybe she's trying to sabotage it on purpose for Dora's own good. (I'm not saying it would be, but that would just be her reasoning)
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Faye had a cell phone way back when.  It definitely looks like an old model, though.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

I am pretty sure that by this point the healing is long over and anything that could happen can happen.

Um, how can you "heal" from an allergy?

And before someone points it out, the piercer could've been using Nitrile gloves. Like them as they are tougher to abuse from use. 

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

I think they were referring to healing from the initial piercing, not from the allergy.

But then again, I've heard of people growing into and out of allergies before.

JohnTheWysard

• Emoticontraindication

And the milliHelen, a unit of beauty sufficient to launch one ship.
I like the even more practical μHelen, a unit of beauty sufficient to launch one canoe.

I've never met a Helen, actually have met two or three ladies who might well be a mHelen, but I've known quite a few ladies in the 10-100 μHelen range. Michigan State University had canoe rentals on the Red Cedar River and they kept busy...!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

It just occured to me that Faye doesn't actually think Dora should date now; maybe she's trying to sabotage it on purpose for Dora's own good. (I'm not saying it would be, but that would just be her reasoning)

Faye is more direct when she disapproves of a pairing. See for example her initial reaction to Jim.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Shouldn't a Goth have acquired a RAZR?
LOL! The RAZR is about as hip and up-to-date as Dora's one-time gothiness...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

@cold Jim being Jimbo or am I completely forgetting someone?  Either way, :?

@Akima There's a new Android-based RAZR.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

calmcalamity

• Plantmonster

My choice for who I don't want to be texted to by?
Everyone. I don't text.

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier

@cold Jim being Jimbo or am I completely forgetting someone?  Either way, :?
The owner of the Secret Bakery, and almost a boyfriend for Dora.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ASmellyOgre

• Plantmonster

Looking at the livestream, I'd say that Dora just looks REALLY freaked.  We might have to wait for another therapist comic, but I'll bet from the reaction that she still likes Tai.  Otherwise she wouldn't freak out so hard.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

I think that look more like confusion than freaked-outness, especially if you take the previous panel into consideration.

Also, it was Tai that had a thing for Dora, not the other way around.

ASmellyOgre

• Plantmonster

I think that look more like confusion than freaked-outness, especially if you take the previous panel into consideration.

Also, it was Tai that had a thing for Dora, not the other way around.

I know that; "still" probably wasn't the right word to choose.  At any rate, we'll see what's really happening in a little while.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up