THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 06:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Oh gee, something we haven't done for a while: What was the MOMENT OF THE WEEK?

Marty and Faye got into a bottle of schnapps under the sink, so that's why for the texts.
- 1 (2.1%)
Annnyway.... NO, I didn't make out with Tai.
- 0 (0%)
Too friendcestuous? ...I don't know. I never really thought about it.
- 1 (2.1%)
I've seen you check out her ass. Hey, be fair! I check out TONS of asses!
- 4 (8.5%)
Your hair is different! It's the humidity.
- 0 (0%)
Claire has a latte for Marten! (Kiss-ass)
- 0 (0%)
Tai called and said she's sleeping in, librarians don't get in for 2 hrs. and I don't have keys.
- 1 (2.1%)
We could use Momo as a battering ram!
- 0 (0%)
Your hair's different today. It's the humidity.
- 0 (0%)
Do your pigtails detach? Do you store roll cake in your arms?
- 3 (6.4%)
If you like anime that much, I should introduce you to my friend Marigold.
- 1 (2.1%)
Um, what's "anime?"
- 3 (6.4%)
Your hair is differ- HUMIDITY
- 5 (10.6%)
Oh hey, you're here. Why wouldn't I be?
- 0 (0%)
I DID NOT HOOK UP WITH TAI! (Everybody being all up in my business isn't helping)
- 0 (0%)
Duct Tape! (I bet you wanna get all up in TAI'S business)
- 8 (17%)
She's also about to have her blackboard privileges revoked.
- 0 (0%)
So... What do you think? ... you know me better than anybody else.
- 2 (4.3%)
She's the one who's pursuing you... seems like a good setup for avoiding what messed up OUR relationship.
- 0 (0%)
If you're just considering it because she's shown interest in you, that's not really fair to her.
- 1 (2.1%)
BUT think how cute your babies would be! (We're both female, we can't -) WE ARE WORKING ON THAT TECHNOLOGY
- 17 (36.2%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2236-40 (23-27 July 2012) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 51586 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

And now, the REST of the story...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

butts butts butts butts butts

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Wouldn't the opposite be "hook-down"?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Boomslang

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

I think this is my favorite comic in a while.
Having to fight an adult deinonychus with a sharp rock is extremely scary. Granted, I only know this from dreams, but it makes complete sense.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

"Hey now, that could be any mayor!"  Also, I like how Faye and Marten's evening consisted of drinking the stuff under the sink.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine

To be fair, she dated Marten and he doesn't have much trunk junk, either. Apparently she is into that.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

So wait, they have Donkey's in that town? Didn't know Dora was a connoisseur of Asses.....

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

On the whole, Americans prefer their rude words to be less blatant; hence ass rather than arse.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

As a fan and frequent user of the word Fuck, among other profanities, I would disagree.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

WAYF

• Beyoncé

!!!

Quote from: Jeph on Twitter
There is a secret in the comic right now which only two people, to my knowledge, have guessed. He he he

Let the Wild Mass Guessing begin!
(No, Hanners is not a dude. He already ruled that one out.)

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.

Hah ... "friendcest"

Didn't know that one.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

On the whole, Americans prefer their rude words to be less blatant; hence ass rather than arse.

Interesting. I find myself using British-isms when I'm in company that prefers I don't use my considerable vocabulary of American cusswords. I can use "arse" and "bloody" in situations where the words "ass" and "f**ing" will get me responses of horror and  disapproval.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

It's a huge generalisation, of course, and any number of counter examples can be found.  But none the less, overall it is widely recorded to be so.  As another example, I offer: "shoot" for "shit".
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

!!!

There is a secret in the comic right now which only two people, to my knowledge, have guessed. He he he

They're all dudes except for Hanners.

Also I love Dora's poofy hair. I think it's actually how Hanners wears her hair a lot of the time so it's a neat switch up.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

I've been given the odd horrified expression when saying "bugger", which is a pretty mild curse in Australia.

I assume that the secret is slightly more interesting and subtle than Dora's apparent change in hairstyle...
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

It's a huge generalisation, of course, and any number of counter examples can be found.  But none the less, overall it is widely recorded to be so.  As another example, I offer: "shoot" for "shit".

Oh, I wasn't trying to rebut. It's just interesting that what's supremely offensive in the US is seen as a less-offensive alternative in the UK, and vice versa. "Bollocks" gets you a bemused stare on my side of the Atlantic, for example.

Your point about bowdlerization is taken, though, and sometimes the results are unintentionally hilarious, such as the network TV bowdlerization of the one funny line in "Good Morning Vietnam," in which the officious lietuenant is told he needs a "real" job.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

I've been given the odd horrified expression when saying "bugger", which is a pretty mild curse in Australia.

I'm in Northern Ireland and "bugger" is my go to word for if I display clumsiness. Only one person has called me out on it, while I was in work, because her child might have heard me. The child was at the opposite end of the shop and appeared to be at least tween age.

~ ~

I wonder if the secret is anything to do with the trans* question on Twitter a while back. Or maybe asexuality because Jeph retweeted something about it right before the Secret tweet. #ConspiracyTheories #HashtagsInPlacesThatAreNotTwitter

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

!!!

Well, let's see - Faye's scar was there in all four panels.

That IS a new poster on the wall across from the counter.

Dora, obviously, has decided to wear a headband today - which means her hair's growing out.

Which means... wait, I thought it turned blonde when she grew it out????

EDIT: Oh, wait, I think he meant FRIDAY'S comic.

In which case - so Dora has an iPad. Who cares?
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2012, 06:41 by jwhouk »
Just another Joe like 46

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

I like Dora's hairband, or whatever you call it, and hairdo here. 

The discussion here makes me wonder what kind of women Dora is into.  We know she found Marten's mom appealing, and there's the obvious interest in Tai.  Otherwise she's never really said or shown much.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

Which means... wait, I thought it turned blonde when she grew it out????

Only if she stops dying it. ;)

EDIT: Oh, wait, I think he meant FRIDAY'S comic.

Sounded more like he meant QC in general.

Anyway, the secret is that last Wednesday's comic is actually canon.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

If she is anything like me, personality has more to do with her attraction to girls than their specific physical traits. I have dated a pretty wide spectrum of women when it comes to physical attributes, but a fairly narrow band when it comes to personality types.
@syleegrrl

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I hope the secret doesn't have to do with Faye's dad. The aching lack of an explanation is good storytelling and true to life.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

The secret is in the schnapps. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

American adults do not say shoot unless they spend a lot of time around kids. Children say it because they get in trouble for saying shit, which is silly since they spend the first 5 years of their life allowed to say poop. Mostly it is for kids that we say dang, heck, shoot, etc in lieu of damn, hell, and shit.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

The secret is there is no secret

Either that or Tai is Doras 'Love Child' sister.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU

As a side note, Doras hair looks a lot poofier than normal, maybe the hairband, maybe something else, just observing
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

YourMaster

• Not quite a lurker

I'm Canadian and the swear word hierarchy is perhaps sliiiightly different from the US, but pretty close.  From where I'm standing, ass is more blatant than arse.  Looking up the etymology quickly, it looks like it's probably just two pronounciation variants of the same term, not a bowdlerization.

I'm totally willing to entertain the notion that British people are less likely to care than Americans, and that's perhaps *why* Americans will sometimes substitute a similar British word that is considered fairly innocuous where they are from -- you can get away with arse in contexts where you can't get away with ass, shite when you can't get away with shit, and so on.  I kind of suspect any swear word that isn't used where you're from sounds perhaps a bit childish and bowdlerized, even if from the speaker's perspective they are the harshest mouth-sounds they could come up with, so I don't think comparing specific word choices are great examples.

(shoot for shit is a good example, though I don't think I've heard anybody say that when my age was in the double digits).

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

The secret is that Sven and Dora are only half-siblings, due mostly to her parents' regard for mind-altering substances and association with people of like mind.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

clipboard

Sup. Lost my old log in, kinda new-ish. Re-registered to voice my opinion on the secret. Is it ...

Padma never left?
(Inception bong.mp4)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Welcome back. What was your old log in?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

And the "About Last Night" scenario awaiting us?

Tai will talk to Dora - and Dora will let her down gently.    2 (4.9%)
Dora will talk to Tai - and Tai will let her down gently (!).    1 (2.4%)
Tai will talk to Dora - and Dora will JUMP HER BONES.    6 (14.6%)
Dora will talk to Tai - and Tai will act accordingly.    7 (17.1%)
They won't talk - it'll be awkwardness all around.    11 (26.8%)
The interns are talking about who THEY want to bed!    3 (7.3%)
Claire and Marten either hook-up or hook-down.    2 (4.9%)
Claire decides SHE wants to jump Dora!    0 (0%)
A whole week of Yelling Bird!    1 (2.4%)
Butts! (DAMN YOU WILLIS!)    8 (19.5%)
Banana Smoothie, Spathe Ham, Waffles, Your Meme Here, etc.    0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 41
Just another Joe like 46

Tova

• coprophage

Awkwardness beats butts!

Hmmm... that didn't come out right.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

Dora has a new look.  Not bad, not bad...
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

I'm starting to wonder if this new poster isn't a screen, connected to the space station, that Hanners would have brought from up there. I don't know why I'm thinking that, it's just stuck in my mind.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

The skull poster from last time we saw that side of the shop (http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2172) is no longer there.

Also, the "space" picture is now in portrait orientation, instead of landscape (as it was in 2172).

The chairs are different, too.

AND, 64 strips later, she's still wearing the same t-shirt. (It was pink when she dropped in on Faye, Marten and Tai, though.)
Just another Joe like 46

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

The skull poster from last time we saw that side of the shop (http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2172) is no longer there.

Also, the "space" picture is now in portrait orientation, instead of landscape (as it was in 2172).

The chairs are different, too.

AND, 64 strips later, she's still wearing the same t-shirt. (It was pink when she dropped in on Faye, Marten and Tai, though.)

Actually, you can still see part of the skull poster in the last panel of today's strip. Also, the 'space' pic was less landscape, and just a bit more square - you can see the edge of the frame by Faye's neck in 2172. An acceptable slight deviation, I'd say.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

The secret is that Sven and Dora are only half-siblings, due mostly to her parents' regard for mind-altering substances and association with people of like mind.

Faye is calling Dora Sppokypants. Dora used to have a doll named Princess Spookypants till Sven revealed he had hidden it from her for some time (including some fossilized candy). Dora has inadvertently dressed up like her old doll by accident.

Tova

• coprophage

These guesses are awesome. The only thing that would be more astounding would be if one of them were actually correct.  :lol:

Anyway, I can't criticise - I have absolutely no idea. If a couple of people have guessed, then there they must have done so from some little clue given in a recent strip, but as to what it might have been... as I said, no idea.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Toe

• Obscure cultural reference

The secret is that Jeph is totally turning Dora into Winona Ryder.

Faye is calling Dora Sppokypants. Dora used to have a doll named Princess Spookypants till Sven revealed he had hidden it from her for some time (including some fossilized candy). Dora has inadvertently dressed up like her old doll by accident.

Think about it: Beetlejuice has GOT to be one of Dora's favorite movies!

Vurogj

Well if we're posting youtubes about swearing, have some fine quality British comedy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmRTUNh1vPo

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Well if we're posting youtubes about swearing, have some fine quality British comedy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmRTUNh1vPo

An Anime series distilled into one word: FUCK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKwaPSkjXp0

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Momo's chassis isn't military grade dearie like Pintsize's.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page

And we see that Emily's enthusiasm can sometimes make her say silly things.  Either that or she has a good reason for not wanting to go back to the shop?
Francisco

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Wow, that's some humidity! It doesn't just make Gabby's hair frizz to afro, but changes her features too. :-D  And Momo has suddenly developed "joints" at the base of her neck and at her shoulders (unless she's wearing a flesh-coloured t-shirt under her tankie). Yay for art evolution!
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Mothykins

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Spotted Stegasaurothingy

I feel kinda bad for Claire. She just can't win.

If she's a bitch to Marten, the other two get (rightfully) pissed at her. If she tries being nice, she gets called a kiss-ass. The only good option for her is to sit down and shut up - a position I'm all too familiar with. It's hardly fair :/

But hey, that's life, I suppose.
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2012, 03:11 by Mothykins »
Be loud, be proud, and rejoice!

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Why exactly might Tai be "sleeping in"?

I* she sneaking over to CoD and its the clash of the regulars again? Or something entirely different?

edot:
*Is ... god, typing os so hard today for some reason °O
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Boomslang

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

It's a context thing. If you're an ambitious person (and we know Claire is), and you're doing something nice for someone higher in the hierarchy, it's very easy for people to suspect some sort of ulterior motive. Especially if it seems otherwise out of character.

Her motive is actually kind of interesting to me. Her stated reason, not having to go to the coffee shop, seems kind of weird. But it's possible- I get the impression she's very focused, type-A and where the others see an opportunity to take a break she might see a wasted opportunity to accomplish something. She might be trying to ingratiate herself (kiss ass) with Marten, as Gabby was saying. And, admittedly kind of a long shot, she might actually be hitting on him in a sort of awkward, nerdy way. But that seems a little too Marigold for a plot arc. Oh, she could just want to thank him for the training (booooring). Lastly, she's just unwilling to go to coffee of doom for reasons unknown.

I reject her simply being really nice by way of her not getting anyone else anything.

Having to fight an adult deinonychus with a sharp rock is extremely scary. Granted, I only know this from dreams, but it makes complete sense.

Vurogj

Wow, that's some humidity! It doesn't just make Gabby's hair frizz to afro, but changes her features too. :-D  And Momo has suddenly developed "joints" at the base of her neck and at her shoulders (unless she's wearing a flesh-coloured t-shirt under her tankie). Yay for art evolution!
The shoulder joints we saw here, but yeah, I believe the neck is new.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up