THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 00:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Oh gee, something we haven't done for a while: What was the MOMENT OF THE WEEK?

Marty and Faye got into a bottle of schnapps under the sink, so that's why for the texts.
- 1 (2.1%)
Annnyway.... NO, I didn't make out with Tai.
- 0 (0%)
Too friendcestuous? ...I don't know. I never really thought about it.
- 1 (2.1%)
I've seen you check out her ass. Hey, be fair! I check out TONS of asses!
- 4 (8.5%)
Your hair is different! It's the humidity.
- 0 (0%)
Claire has a latte for Marten! (Kiss-ass)
- 0 (0%)
Tai called and said she's sleeping in, librarians don't get in for 2 hrs. and I don't have keys.
- 1 (2.1%)
We could use Momo as a battering ram!
- 0 (0%)
Your hair's different today. It's the humidity.
- 0 (0%)
Do your pigtails detach? Do you store roll cake in your arms?
- 3 (6.4%)
If you like anime that much, I should introduce you to my friend Marigold.
- 1 (2.1%)
Um, what's "anime?"
- 3 (6.4%)
Your hair is differ- HUMIDITY
- 5 (10.6%)
Oh hey, you're here. Why wouldn't I be?
- 0 (0%)
I DID NOT HOOK UP WITH TAI! (Everybody being all up in my business isn't helping)
- 0 (0%)
Duct Tape! (I bet you wanna get all up in TAI'S business)
- 8 (17%)
She's also about to have her blackboard privileges revoked.
- 0 (0%)
So... What do you think? ... you know me better than anybody else.
- 2 (4.3%)
She's the one who's pursuing you... seems like a good setup for avoiding what messed up OUR relationship.
- 0 (0%)
If you're just considering it because she's shown interest in you, that's not really fair to her.
- 1 (2.1%)
BUT think how cute your babies would be! (We're both female, we can't -) WE ARE WORKING ON THAT TECHNOLOGY
- 17 (36.2%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2236-40 (23-27 July 2012) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 51672 times)

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Looks like she's got a nice cute curly 'fro goin' on!

Not as cool as Nabeshin's fro.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

That would be the "crazy explanation" some sort of quantic coincidence!

Actually...

As to the Padma 2.0 conjecture... if I see evidence beyond a one-off gag, then I'll believe it.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

... I'm assuming she's just pulling Momo's leg here ...

That's next. Unless ... TZZZZAP

... the idea someone has not mentioned anime in her presence before now boggles my teensy little brain something fierce.

Unless she hangs around with people who are not anime nerds enthusiasts. It's not unusual for enthusiasts of a given subculture to assume, wrongly, everyone else is familiar with the details of, or has even heard of, their particular interest. It's kind of a reverse hipsterism: "Psssh! I can't believe you've never heard of (podracing/quidditch/tribbles/roll cake stored in arms)!"
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Tova

• coprophage

There was a relatively recent xkcd comic about this... it claims (and I have idea as to the validity of the claim) that for each thing "everyone knows" by the time they're adults, every day there are, on average, 10,000 people hearing about it for the first time.

I have no idea where they could possibly have got the number from, but the basic idea behind the statement is something I can definitely agree with. The number of times I've heard people exclaim "but doesn't everyone know that?!" ... and I always think "well, you're not born with the knowledge, are you? You've got to hear it for the first time some time... and some things you end up hearing later than others, that's all."

I'm sure I could make a long list if I sat down and thought about it.

As for anime... I personally had never heard the term until I shared a place with a couple of friends who were watching Neon Genesis being screened on SBS television at the time.

And I'll wager I was older than Emily.

So, draw from that what you will.

Don't be so quick to assume that your experiences are universal. ... hmm, I'm sure I've heard that sentiment expressed on these forums more than once before! :)
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Boomslang

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

I'm not assuming my experiences are universal, but there is a more than passing correlation of computer science majors and anime enthusiasts.

So for Emily to have never heard of anime, not just not being familiar with it but completely ignorant of the existence of that word, implies that not a single person ever actually said that word to her or to each other when she was paying attention, even when she was taking college classes in a group of people who generally are more open about 'nerdy' hobbies or interests, and who would almost certainly assume her familiarity with those shows (I've seen similar things happen more than once). She'd never seen any page on the internet, in her life, talking about anime using that word, despite being into computer science enough to major in it.

And yet she, out of nowhere, uses what would be two anime references in the appropriate context during a casual conversation without any prompting. If she'd seen those shows, and mentioned them to anyone else who had seen that show, they somehow never actually used that word when talking about it.

This is like the social equivalent of getting hit with a meteorite on your birthday. Technically possible, but wildly improbable. Her simply messing with Momo doesn't require that bizarrely unlikely series of events to have taken place.
Having to fight an adult deinonychus with a sharp rock is extremely scary. Granted, I only know this from dreams, but it makes complete sense.

Tova

• coprophage

Yes, the comic subverts expectations. That's the joke.

I'm a computer science major, btw.

Edit: Hey, look - if Emily turns around next comic and says "ha, just messin'", I won't be surprised. As I said, it's a one-off gag. But the alternative is not as impossible as you think, that's all I'm saying.

Mothykins

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Spotted Stegasaurothingy

You guys are way over-analyzing this comic.

And it hurts my brain.

:(
Be loud, be proud, and rejoice!

Rimwolf

• Larger than most fish

Emily is weird. I really like Emily.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

WAY over-analyzing the comic is what we do around here! It's a comic DISCUSSION thread, after all! ;) :psyduck:
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Sometimes we overanalyze each other's over-analysis!
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Somebody

• Curry sauce

I think I would have the same reaction as Momo to the suggestion that I be used as a battering ram.
"I'm fine thank you Susan."

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

If she'd seen those shows, and mentioned them to anyone else who had seen that show, they somehow never actually used that word when talking about it.

Entirely possible, especially if she'd only seen a few episodes her little brother/cousin/nephew was watching over his shoulder.  Also, perhaps she's seen (or heard) the word, but was taking ths opportunity to find out what it really meant...

This is like the social equivalent of getting hit with a meteorite on your birthday. Technically possible, but wildly improbable.

The probability of getting hit with a meteorite on your birthday is exactly the same as getting hit with one on any other day.  Don't confuse coincidence with conitional probability
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Mothykins

If she'd seen those shows, and mentioned them to anyone else who had seen that show, they somehow never actually used that word when talking about it.

Entirely possible, especially if she'd only seen a few episodes her little brother/cousin/nephew was watching over his shoulder.  Also, perhaps she's seen (or heard) the word, but was taking ths opportunity to find out what it really meant...

This is like the social equivalent of getting hit with a meteorite on your birthday. Technically possible, but wildly improbable.

The probability of getting hit with a meteorite on your birthday is exactly the same as getting hit with one on any other day.  Don't confuse coincidence with conitional probability!

But wouldn't it be a lower probability since it's only that one day out of the whole year? I mean, sure, it's equally probable to get hit by a meteorite on your birthday as on the fourth of July or Easter or any other day, but that's looking at the separate days, not the year as a whole. For you to be hit precisely on your birthday as opposed to any other day in the entire year? That's gotta be improbable.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

The probability of being struck requires a time period to be meaningful.  So, the probability of being struck in your lifetime is much greater than the probability of being struck on a particular day, or selection of days (such as those which are your birthdays).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

And how about the odds of being struck as you pray to Almighty God for the destruction of your Worst Enemy, or the utter victory of your Favorite Team?

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

The probability of being hit on your birthday is 1/365.24 the probability of being hit in a year.  The same as the probability of being hit on the fourth of July, or last Tuesday, or tomorrow. 

Disclaimer:  The probability actually varies throughout the year as the earth moves through the various meteor showers.  I'm workig with classical probability, as opposed to empirical/experimental probability.  :police:

When's your birthday?  I'll see if I can arrange something for you... :evil:
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Boomslang

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

I'm just saying that her messing with Momo's head is by a large margin the more probable explanation. I never said it couldn't be genuine- but if we're going to vegas and taking odds, you all know where I'm standing.
Having to fight an adult deinonychus with a sharp rock is extremely scary. Granted, I only know this from dreams, but it makes complete sense.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

Also, I love that Emily Claire has frizz from the humidity. It's the kind of detail that makes a world more real.

FYP

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

The probability of being hit on your birthday is 1/365.24 the probability of being hit in a year.  The same as the probability of being hit on the fourth of July, or last Tuesday, or tomorrow.
Well, the probability of being hit by a meteor LAST TUESDAY is a fixed value of either 0 or 1 depending on if you had been hit by meteor last Tuesday.

RE: Emily
I'm a computer science guy and no one I work with, including me, seems to watch Anime. We're all in our 30-40s though so that might affect the results. The person I know most into Anime (learned Japanese to appreciate it better) was an English major (D&D geek).

The thing is not all compsci folks are GEEKS. And it is geek culture and anime that have high correlation (even if I'm not among those so correlated).

Mothykins

One thing I know for sure, through all of this:

Geek culture is FUN.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

And it hurts my brain.

An absolutely correct observation.

Jeph said once that over-analysis was "stupid" but he didn't really mind because it's kind of what forums are for.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!

And it hurts my brain.

Yer not from aroun' here, are ya?
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food

Jeph pulled trollface.jpg.

It was super-effective.

Read Emily's last line in Osaka's voice.  desu desu desu
SQUEEZE BOX

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Jeph said once that over-analysis was "stupid" but he didn't really mind because it's kind of what forums are for.
Well yeah, he would, why would he need to analyze his own work?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

...this is actually harder to believe than a talking robot.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Mothykins

And it hurts my brain.

Yer not from aroun' here, are ya?

I suppose not.

I am Noobzilla, hear me rawr~  :mrgreen:

(I regret everything nothing)

ASDF I should get some sleep before I say something stupid(er).

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

See, in defence of my position, I'd never heard of "roll cake" before sometime last week. Swiss rolls were, however, one of my favourite desserts growing up.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

They aren't the same thing?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

They are, as was mentioned a couple of weeks ago when Nano appeared in a filler comic.
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2012, 12:31 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Well yeah, he would, why would he need to analyze his own work?

Financial reasons?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Emily's mind works oddly enough that I can imagine her not knowing the word "anime" or temporarily forgetting it, and still knowing who Nano is. ("Oh, so that's what they call it!")

She seems too ingenuous to have said it ironically.

Maybe she didn't recognize the word when it was pronounced correctly? Yeah, I'm reaching here.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Also, I love that Emily has frizz from the humidity.
Claire and Gabby. Emily is East Asian; generally we don't do frizzy unless we have a very unfortunate encounter with a hairdresser.

And, assuming random distribution of meteors, the probability of being hit on any of all the days in a year that are not your birthday is 364.24/365.24 of the probability of being hit in a year. This padawan hesitates to point this out to a jedi master. I think this is essentially a "two dice" problem, where you roll a 365-sided die with one face marked with a single dot, together with a billion*-sided die with n faces marked in the same way, and really hope you don't roll snake-eyes.

*I don't actually know the probability of being struck by a meteor. Edit: Adjusted for Akronnick's post below.
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2012, 20:45 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

NEVER TELL ME THE ODDS!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!

Odds of dying by asteroid impact: 1 in 700,000

Quote from: Phil Plait, The Bad Astronomer
The overall risk of dying from an impact in your lifetime is 1 in 700,000. Somewhat less than being killed by a fireworks accident, but still more probable than being killed on an amusement park ride or by an act of terrorism.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Tova

• coprophage

There's a reason they call it the WCOAT.

... oh, they don't call it that? They should. It's pronounceable, and everything. Sort of.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P

Wow. Did not expect an Azumanga AND Nichijou reference in one comic. (BTW, this is wednesday's that I'm referring to)
In the interest of showing off some anime knowledge, I should mention that there should, under no circumstances, be any Chobits references without Tai, Ghost in the Shell references without Faye, or ...*shudder* Black Cat references without Pintsize
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Wow. Did not expect an Azumanga AND Nichijou reference in one comic. (BTW, this is wednesday's that I'm referring to)
In the interest of showing off some anime knowledge, I should mention that there should, under no circumstances, be any Chobits references without Tai, Ghost in the Shell references without Faye, or ...*shudder* Black Cat references without Pintsize
As someone who knows nothing about anime, I have a feeling I don't want to know about Black Cat.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

...what the hell does Faye have to do with Ghost in the Shell?

If anything, I'd have gone with Dora just for the purple hair... or Momo, for staggeringly obvious reasons.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

I remember the roll of duct tape!! It was in strip.....strip.....uh........

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

You know, Faye being Faye is one thing, but Marten really is being astoundingly creepy about all this.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

That isn't gagging, Marten, thats pretty much assault. °O
(Wouldn't wanna rip that one off, no sir.)
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Is Marten being creepy in context? The characters don't seem to have the concept of "boundaries" the way other people do.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page

I thought that Faye liked being the Dom?

<< ducks for cover
Francisco

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

Why do all Coffee of Doom employees have identical handwriting?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Jeph might know...

Tova

• coprophage

I can't actually blame Marten for drawing the conclusion he did.

Faye writes awfully fast, hey? :)

For some reason I'm finding the running hair gag is starting to get hilarious.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Well, that's a good use of The Emergency Duct Tape

It's gonna be interesting to see which way Dora jumps on this one

And what Tai does
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

Is Marten being creepy in context? The characters don't seem to have the concept of "boundaries" the way other people do.

If comic characters have boundaries, they are far less entertaining for the audience.

(and I mean "comic" in both senses of the word)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

What's with people calling Marten creepy?  I don't see anything creepy there.

I mean, it's not like shipping on a forum - it really isn't!

CompSarge

• Furry furrier
  • I put the "sexy" in "dyslexic"
    • Sarge's Art and Story Blog

I think I would have the same reaction as Momo to the suggestion that I be used as a battering ram.
"I'm fine thank you Susan."

+1000 internets. Best sci-fi spoof show ever.

I chuckled at the last panel of today's comic. Faye, why you so awesome?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up