THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 07:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The 2012 Olympics  (Read 34407 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: The 2012 Olympics
« Reply #100 on: 07 Aug 2012, 01:42 »

Weed is a "performance enhancing drug" now?

Probably just the opposite, in fact - but rules is rules, I guess.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #101 on: 07 Aug 2012, 02:19 »

Did they really have to call em "baked" goods though, I mean yeah, I get it, we're talking about marijuana and brownies, good one guys
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #102 on: 07 Aug 2012, 04:38 »

In small quantities, it can actually be performance enhancing. Tons of bodybuilders use it as a means to relax in order to shorten the recovery period.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #103 on: 07 Aug 2012, 05:26 »

Weed is a "performance enhancing drug" now? I didn't know art was an Olympic sport  :psyduck:

Well, earlier it was.

My boss's grandfather won a literature gold medal in '36. The practice of awarding arts medals ended after the previous London games in '48.

AFAIK they didn't do doping tests at that time. That winning story was about a dude who took up long-distance running to cure himself from alcoholism. Don't know whether it was from personal experience. In that case we could call it a chemically enhanced performance I guess.
« Last Edit: 07 Aug 2012, 05:33 by Skewbrow »
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #105 on: 07 Aug 2012, 07:48 »

I have a lot of sympathy for that view.  I find the jingoism distasteful - it feels like leapfrogging on the athletes' achievements and claiming them for "their country".
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #106 on: 07 Aug 2012, 10:06 »

The Olympics are a much more acceptable form of nationalist pride than, say, genocide. While I 100% agree with Morrissey's side of the debate, I think he could have made a much better example. He simply sounds like a U.S. Tea Partier when he flips out and goes straight to Hitler like that.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Skaltura

• Furry furrier
« Reply #107 on: 08 Aug 2012, 02:52 »

Oh London ... men's discus throwing champion Robert Harting (GER) got robbed on the way from a late night party back to the Olympic village, they stole his equipment and all his athlete's accreditations and he had to spend the night sleeping on a chair in a rail station because getting a replacement took hours and they would not let the olympic champion back into any venues or the Olympic village. :psyduck:

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #108 on: 08 Aug 2012, 06:41 »

I have a lot of sympathy for that view.  I find the jingoism distasteful - it feels like leapfrogging on the athletes' achievements and claiming them for "their country".
Well... Arguably the "totalitarian model" of the Olympics has triumphed. State funding (whether from taxation, or government-approved crypto-taxes like national lotteries) is poured like a river into the quest for sporting glory. Promising youngsters are identified and raised in hot-houses like the Australian Institute Of Sport. The whole approach was pioneered by Nazi Germany, East Germany, the Soviet Union etc., and is of course standard in China today.

On the other hand Morrisey is a racist jerk who thinks Chinese people are a "sub-species", so he can just fuck off.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #109 on: 08 Aug 2012, 08:30 »

Holy fuck, women's beach volleyball yesterday. USA really pulled it together and beat Brazil, but it made me feel bad for Larissa Franca cause it looked like Juliana Felisberta was yelling at her the whole time.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #110 on: 08 Aug 2012, 14:50 »

I helped out at the library today (well, I helped a bit, and I read a lot, and now I'm on the computer until it closes) and we played Olympics bingo with the kids. We managed to figure out what almost all of the 25 pictures were meant to represent - I decided that one of the three (!) horse sports was Equestrian, one was Dressage and one was Pentathlon, according to the librarian I was working with. We were totally stumped by a picture showing two people facing each other with their arms outstretched, so we decided that patty-cake was an Olympic sport. It was never pulled as a bingo card anyway so it didn't matter.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #111 on: 08 Aug 2012, 16:40 »

I suspect that may be something called "Wrestling".
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #112 on: 08 Aug 2012, 18:02 »

The official condom supplier for the Athlete Village is pissed that other brands are getting in on the action.

And apparently there is a LOT of action, because Durex supplied 150,000 free condoms to athletes in London.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #113 on: 08 Aug 2012, 19:02 »

And apparently there is a LOT of action, because Durex supplied 150,000 free condoms to athletes in London.
The Duke of Marlborough Effect (and obviously the Sarah Churchill Effect too).
By the way, don't ask my why the blogger chose to depict Sarah Churchill as Chinese!  :psyduck: 
(click to show/hide)
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #114 on: 08 Aug 2012, 19:24 »

I helped out at the library today (well, I helped a bit, and I read a lot, and now I'm on the computer until it closes) and we played Olympics bingo with the kids. We managed to figure out what almost all of the 25 pictures were meant to represent - I decided that one of the three (!) horse sports was Equestrian, one was Dressage and one was Pentathlon, according to the librarian I was working with. We were totally stumped by a picture showing two people facing each other with their arms outstretched, so we decided that patty-cake was an Olympic sport. It was never pulled as a bingo card anyway so it didn't matter.

The equestrian sports are actually Jumping, Dressage, and Eventing, a three-part competition that involves dressage, stadium jumping, and cross-country jumping, which imo is probably the most exciting. Those jumps are huuuuge, and the horse and rider are not only competing against the other competitors, but also against the clock as well - you're penalized for going over and under optimal time, so it's a balancing act of time management. Still, the horse and rider are often at a full gallop for much of the course, and it's usually divided up into two parts via the ten-minute box (where the animal is bathed down in cold water to bring down their body temperature, and is also inspected by a vet to help ensure that the animal is able to safely continue).

I did a low-level event a time or two, and also groomed at some intermediate ones.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #115 on: 08 Aug 2012, 19:53 »

Just so, but Modern Pentathlon includes a show-jumping discipline, and this might be what May was watching.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #116 on: 08 Aug 2012, 20:21 »

Synchronized swimming is so weird

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #117 on: 09 Aug 2012, 13:46 »

THERE'S A FLIP SIDE TO EVERY COIN!

American site

Official site

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #118 on: 09 Aug 2012, 14:11 »

You mean medal.

Well, at least they're being consistent in ranking by overall medal count. Though I'm curious to see what would happen if the roles were reversed.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #119 on: 09 Aug 2012, 14:25 »

Actually the US is on top again by gold medal count - so GB can go back above Russia as well!

Watched a bit on telly tonight - utterly brilliant individual dressage performances by two of the British riders, in contrast to the Netherlands completely trampling on GB in the hockey.  Women's boxing I find as distasteful as I find all boxing.  The British runner who came last in the 800m did so in a time faster than the winners in the last three Olympics!  Nothing more to be said about Usain Bolt, I guess.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #120 on: 11 Aug 2012, 13:23 »

Women's boxing I find as distasteful as I find all boxing.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #121 on: 11 Aug 2012, 13:30 »

I guess one of the US Men's 4x400m was running on a broken leg for 200m of his leg of the qualifying rounds, and -still- managed to do it in around 45 seconds.

As for women's boxing, the woman who won gold comes from Flint, MI, which is about 20 minutes west of me.

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier
  • Mellow Mind Mellow Life... Mellow Yellow
« Reply #122 on: 11 Aug 2012, 13:34 »

Those Jamaicans in the Baton event,

Any faster and i have expect Usain Bolt to burst into flame near the end of the race and then dissapear like the car from Back to the Future.
"Coming out of my cage and i've been doing just fine"

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #123 on: 11 Aug 2012, 13:38 »

Omega Entity, which weight class?

One of the participants in the 75 kg class, Anna Laurell, started out at my old gym and came by to train a few times.. one of the few times I've actually gotten intimidated by a person from just seeing them stand around doing nothing special. She had that vibe.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #124 on: 11 Aug 2012, 14:17 »

THERE'S A FLIP SIDE TO EVERY COIN!

pictures and stuff

IIRC, a gold is 'worth' 50x bronze, or something. One might be using that system, while the other is just going by total medals. Not certain though.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #125 on: 11 Aug 2012, 14:50 »

Tom Daley's bronze in diving was nail-biting stuff; there was less than 1% between the marks of the three leaders going into the last round (and Daley was in the lead), but he'd elected to one of the easier dives last, so the weighting of other two's marks ensured they beat him in spite of his doing an excellent last dive.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
The 2012 Olympics
« Reply #126 on: 12 Aug 2012, 14:16 »

So John Lennon sang at the closing ceremony - nice balance to Macca at the opening.

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
  • Liev Schreiber scares me
    • myspace!
« Reply #127 on: 12 Aug 2012, 15:19 »

Mayor of London Boris Johnson dancing to the Spice Girls.

Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #128 on: 12 Aug 2012, 15:21 »

So John Lennon sang at the closing ceremony - nice balance to Macca at the opening.

But...he's dead... ???
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
The 2012 Olympics
« Reply #129 on: 12 Aug 2012, 15:48 »

Yeah. They performed Imagine (with a children's signing choir!), and then faded in film of him doing it, supplied and newly restored by Yoko Ono. It was very effectively done.
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2012, 16:27 by pwhodges »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #130 on: 12 Aug 2012, 16:56 »

Oh wow, that sounds amazing.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #131 on: 12 Aug 2012, 19:11 »

Of course, they COULD have done a hologram version, like they did with Tupac...
Just another Joe like 46

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #132 on: 12 Aug 2012, 20:35 »

Or Hatsune Miku?  :-D

Lupercal

« Reply #133 on: 13 Aug 2012, 00:24 »

The tributes to Lennon and Freddie Mercury were great!

Could have done without George Michael, but I'm pretty glad Brian May turned up, along with Daltry and Townsend. I would've been seething if those two had been missed out!

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #134 on: 13 Aug 2012, 05:05 »

Sad news, but not unexpected, if you watched women's shot put final. Valerie Adams (n. Wili) of New Zealand now promoted to a gold medalist.

Highlights of the London OG for me:
  • 4) Allyson Felix winning 200 m sprint for the US. Subdued elegance in motion. She has won several world championships titles (and relay gold medals in US teams), but no individual gold, so I was delighted to see her win this one. I also triumphed over my son in our guessing games on this one occasion :-)
  • 3) Our ladies in sailpowered vessels (accounting for 2 out of our 3 medals).
  • 2) Exciting finals on the field: men's throwing events, both pole vault competitions,...
  • 1) The stadium. A phenomenally fast track. Both 4x100 meter relay world records were smashed. Delighted to see one of the unbeatable (chemically enhanced?) East German records go. But also the arrangement. The athletes in the field events had a chance to walk to the stands and talk with their coaches. Usually they aren't able to nor allowed to cross over (for security reasons and what not). Yet there was never a feeling that the crowd would storm the field. Yet they managed to get Moe Farah's daughter and wife to join the party after men's 10000 meter final. Cheers to the ushers!!!

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #135 on: 13 Aug 2012, 07:15 »

Sad news, but not unexpected, if you watched women's shot put final.
She ate a steroid brownie?

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #136 on: 13 Aug 2012, 08:14 »

The collected explanation by caught/suspected/confessed dopers include (from the top of my head):
  • "Must have come from that toothpaste"
  • "I didn't know that a banana might contain forbidden drugs."
  • "The janitor gave me that shot in my trailer. I thought it was vitamins."
  • "How could I have known that a cough syrup contains ephedrin?"
  • "I have had problems with too high hemoglobine in the past, so I took hemohes to be allowed to compete."

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier
  • Mellow Mind Mellow Life... Mellow Yellow
« Reply #137 on: 13 Aug 2012, 08:23 »

And the best i've heard

"Someone must have snuck those drugs into the brownies i ate"
"Coming out of my cage and i've been doing just fine"

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #138 on: 13 Aug 2012, 19:35 »

The tributes to Lennon and Freddie Mercury were great!

Could have done without George Michael, but I'm pretty glad Brian May turned up, along with Daltry and Townsend. I would've been seething if those two had been missed out!

Don't forget Russel Brand, they could have done without him

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #139 on: 14 Aug 2012, 04:38 »

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #140 on: 14 Aug 2012, 12:40 »

I suspect that may be something called "Wrestling".

Possibly, but I think we had a wrestling icon as well.

Thanks for the explanation of the horse events, OE, I think eventing was probably the water one.

I'm now looking forwards to the Paralympics, where my friend Hannah will be winning gold in the wheelchair sprints (if she doesn't, I'll be very surprised - she is the world record holder).
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #141 on: 14 Aug 2012, 14:35 »

Yorkshire came twelfth overall.

As a resident of one of the four separate counties of the region of Yorkshire I predict that it will be a least four years before Yorkshirefolk shut up about this fact. You can tell a Yorkshireman, but you can't tell him much as the the saying goes.

Women's boxing I find as distasteful as I find all boxing.

I've heard this sentiment expressed in various guises and find it quite odd as it seems reserved only for boxing where as Wrestling, Judo, Taekwondo are about fighting and inflicting damage on others. Similarly fencing is borne of the ability to prove oneself capable of hurting others.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #142 on: 14 Aug 2012, 14:58 »

You could say that one of the main functions of sport is to provide a means of competition by proxy.  The ball goes in the net; the finishing line is crossed first.  Sometimes the result is sufficiently mechanised to be unambiguous, sometimes the judgement of a specialist is required (e.g. diving, dressage).  Boxing however, and the other activities you listed, do without the proxy element, and require direct contact with the potential of injury.  In some cases, the contact is sufficiently rarefied and protected against that actual injury is unlikely (fencing, perhaps), but boxing and wrestling, and other sports that allow a knockout in particular, still have the significant possibility of real injury - for no purpose other than to say that you have won by virtue of causing that injury.  To my mind this is simply not civilised.

JayJay

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #143 on: 14 Aug 2012, 15:09 »

it may not be civilised, but i think that having violent sports is something, lets say, necessary.
I really think that LOTS of people really enjoy watching other people suffer, and it's been happening for a long long time, take the gladiators for an example, the government used to host fights to the death to the amusement of the people.
My point being, if we do not have violent sports, there will soon be lots of underground ilegal fighting, and to me it's a lot more civilised to have some control of the fights and offer some protection and have assistance ready for the fighters

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #144 on: 14 Aug 2012, 15:41 »

Schadenfreude!

JayJay

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #145 on: 14 Aug 2012, 15:48 »

bless you

Lupercal

« Reply #146 on: 14 Aug 2012, 16:15 »

Having practised Taekwondo for a number of years, and having seen the opening Olympic round in person, I wouldn't say that the athletes are in danger of getting injured, really. They wear body armour and headgear, along with shoe-type things on their feet to stop either hurtful contact with your opponent or personal injury. A swift kick to the torso scores two points, utterly minimal damage put forward. In fact, the ones ending up on their asses were the athletes trying to do spectacular kicks without timing it right. A kick to the head honestly isn't that painful (especially as they're not trying to knock each other out with said kick - and I haven't sparred with Olympian quality students either).

Boxing however...totally different. But having said what I've said about TKD, I'm not sure that I can out-rightly suggest it is a barbaric sport, only that there is a difference from trying to win by a knock-out and trying to have "contact" with your opponent.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #147 on: 15 Aug 2012, 00:09 »

I should also acknowledge that there are sports which have a lot of dangerous contact, but where the contact is not of the essence - i.e. does not contribute to the win, but may even lead rather to a penalty if not controlled appropriately - games like Rugby football or American football, for instance.  These I dislike for that element but do not condemn.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #148 on: 15 Aug 2012, 06:35 »

Only two more years until the REAL Olympics, at least for me.

Ahhh, Ice hockey, speed skating and curling. (sigh)
Just another Joe like 46

Lupercal

« Reply #149 on: 15 Aug 2012, 06:37 »

Yeah, you're talking about this right?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up