THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 02:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The 2012 Olympics  (Read 34465 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
Re: The 2012 Olympics
« Reply #50 on: 29 Jul 2012, 17:44 »

See, that's the thing - I want to order the "Official Programme", but apparently you can't outside of the UK.

Unless, of course, you want to go on eBay. Which I don't.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #51 on: 29 Jul 2012, 17:49 »

Just checked the stuff in FF where you can stop redirects, and it's STILL doing it.
Just another Joe like 46

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #52 on: 29 Jul 2012, 17:57 »

Huh. I have to click 'Allow' before it redirects for me. Did you try clearing he cache so that it needs to reload the page entirely?

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #53 on: 29 Jul 2012, 18:04 »

You do happen to know a bunch of people who ARE in the UK though...
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #54 on: 29 Jul 2012, 18:22 »

Yes, but I don't know if this is something that you can easily 1.) purchase somewhere in the UK and 2.) send to a US address.

And there is that thing about $/£ conversion and whatnot.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #55 on: 29 Jul 2012, 18:23 »

I don't get it - the "warn when a page attempts to redirect me" box is checked. What else am I missing?
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #56 on: 29 Jul 2012, 18:56 »

Just another Joe like 46

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #57 on: 29 Jul 2012, 19:34 »

For me, it's almost always been about gymnastics in the summer, and figure skating in the winter.

ditto.

and then Snape killed Dumbledore.

Hah! This sums up my viewing of the Olympics. I like it, but it takes a while to get into (probably because I'm not a big sports person) and I have tv ADHD when I'm watching- unless it's SVU or NCIS.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #58 on: 29 Jul 2012, 22:50 »

On topic: Tonnes of Empty Seats Prompt Protests

Thus confirming yet again that from the point of view of the organisers these games are all about the sponsors, who in turn aren't that interested in the sport.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
The 2012 Olympics
« Reply #59 on: 30 Jul 2012, 01:58 »

Thus making the choice of Brannagh's character in the opening somewhat ironic, no?
Just another Joe like 46

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
  • Liev Schreiber scares me
    • myspace!
« Reply #60 on: 30 Jul 2012, 04:06 »

No fair, you have the home-field advantage. :P

And my degree is in Engineering, so he's a bit of a worship figure for me.  And my wife said that if we had been able to have a child, she would have called him Isambard, just for the pleasure of shouting that name in the park!

Completely unrelated to the thread, but I'm currently dating a girl who is maternally descended from Isambard Kingdom Brunel, and she couldn't understand why I thought that was so awesome.
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #61 on: 30 Jul 2012, 06:27 »

How the hell did that come up?  If she didn't understand it's awesomeness, why did she even mention it? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Skaltura

• Furry furrier
« Reply #62 on: 30 Jul 2012, 06:49 »

I really liked the men's sabre fighting yesterday. While épée and foil can be a bit slow and cautious, Sabre is all about ATTACK! ATTACK! ATTACK!. Really cool.

There was also a hilarious joke by the German commentator, Romanian fencer Rareș Dumitrescu (4th place) did this weird twirling thing with his weapon, and this defensively useless technique was dubbed the "Romanian windmill". :D

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #63 on: 30 Jul 2012, 10:28 »

Wait, I forget. Did he write Bohemian Rhapsody or Mull of Kintyre?

Scrambled Eggs (working title...)
I'm so glad I get that one.
Oh my baby how I love your legs.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #64 on: 30 Jul 2012, 12:23 »

So apparently GBR have a rivalry with Argentina.

Good thing we're smashing them at hockey right now.

(Travel Update: my regular trains are less busy than normal, fewer people at the stations themselves. That's actually quite nice, can't help but think there was a lot of media scaremongering suggesting we weren't going to be able to breathe on the Tube)

Silentbanksy

• Plantmonster
  • Surreal, aren't they?
« Reply #65 on: 30 Jul 2012, 15:02 »

USA Vs  North Korea tomorrow, anyone else hoping for a fight?  :evil:
I'm witty, right?

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #66 on: 30 Jul 2012, 15:55 »

I really liked the men's sabre fighting yesterday. While épée and foil can be a bit slow and cautious, Sabre is all about ATTACK! ATTACK! ATTACK!. Really cool.

I'm the exact opposite, I think.  I find sabre boring cause of the constant attack! mentality.  Right off the go both fencers advance lunge.  simultaneous, no points.  after two or three of those one guy decides to take a half step, parry and riposte.  he gets the point.  then back to the simultaneous. 

That being said, the semis & finals yesterday were quite interesting 'cause they didn't follow the simple pattern I outlined above (the rounds of 64 thru quarterfinals, however...).  team sabre can also be interesting 'cause of the added strategy from fencing as a part of the whole team

I also tend to find epee boring to watch 'cause it's too passive when you're not in the last minute of the match.  Foil is perfect for me--strategic play without being all offense or all defense (it's also what I fence).

Today in women's individual epee there was a HUGE travesty in the semifinals
(click to show/hide)
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #67 on: 30 Jul 2012, 16:50 »

That wasn't a travesty, it was over-the-top stupidity.

(click to show/hide)

Just another Joe like 46

Skaltura

• Furry furrier
« Reply #68 on: 31 Jul 2012, 07:03 »

I didn't watch that match, only getting a glimpse of the aftermath (discussions between all the officials), but I've to admit I felt really bad for the Korean lady when she started crying, athletes shouldn't be punished for mistakes made by officials and and judges. It is worth noting though that the German media seems in no way inclined to question the decision because Heidemann won the first medal for her country, up until then some strongly worded articles about the failures of athletes and no medals won appeared, quite typically German I have to say.

Additionally there were MANY more irregularities that day, Japan only won their silver medal in (M) Gymnastics through protesting their score, bumping Ukraine to ungrateful fourth. The judging at the females weightlifting (53 kg and 58 kg) seemed completely arbitrary, sometimes failing attempts for rotating barbells, sometimes not. It's a bit disappointing actually. Makes one long for the competitions where a solid metric (speed/distance) can be applied without having to rely on seemingly all too fallible judges.
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2012, 07:09 by Skaltura »

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #69 on: 31 Jul 2012, 11:53 »

quite typically German I have to say.

Uhhh, wat

Silentbanksy

• Plantmonster
  • Surreal, aren't they?
« Reply #70 on: 31 Jul 2012, 13:17 »

If you buy a drink on an Olympic venue, like a Coke or a Sprite, they remove the caps and then give you the drink. You're not allowed bottle lids, as they are a "throwing nuisance"

The bottles are fine though.

:l
I'm witty, right?

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #71 on: 31 Jul 2012, 13:34 »

A timing error in the last second of the bout led to a 20-minute delay and a controversial decision in the women’s individual épée semifinal today between South Korean Shin A Lam and German Britta Heidemann, one that has the Korean refusing to leave the piste.

With one second remaining in the match, Heidemann needed to score a touch on Shin to win the match. (Shin would have advanced if they finished the round tied.) The clock then got stuck, allowing Heidemann several extra seconds to score, which she did. Officials then congregated for a long time discussing their options before finally awarding the win (and a chance at the gold medal) to the German.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #72 on: 31 Jul 2012, 13:37 »

If you buy a drink on an Olympic venue, like a Coke or a Sprite, they remove the caps and then give you the drink. You're not allowed bottle lids, as they are a "throwing nuisance"

I hear the same practice is used at the local summer festivals. To my sister they said that a bottle with a cap is more dangerous when you hit someone on the head with it. To the people working at the bar they say that if you give the bottle without a cap, the customer can't put it in their bag when it's full, or store tap water in it after they're empty, thereby encouraging them to buy more soft drinks instead. Rumours? Excuses? Corporate malice? I don't know, you be the judge.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #73 on: 31 Jul 2012, 14:48 »

Olympics, concerts, sporting events..that's pretty standard practice, now.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Zingoleb

« Reply #74 on: 31 Jul 2012, 14:51 »

When I saw Rammstein (amusing how you mentioned them in the other post, and now I'm here. Who's gonna bring them up next page?) they didn't even give you the bottle! They poured it into a styrofoam cup and gave that to you.

In hindsight, even that is dumb, 'cause if you throw it by the top so it spins around, it's still got a pretty good weight to it and now it also  splashes a drink everywhere.

"I'm sorry! The dude was on fire, and I panicked!"

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #75 on: 31 Jul 2012, 16:24 »

NBC major fail example #527, from Wil "the birthday boy" Wheaton's tumblr
Just another Joe like 46

Lupercal

« Reply #76 on: 01 Aug 2012, 00:20 »

Whenever I take the tube (which is, admittedly, not very often) I avoid breathing anyway! :D

Damn there are some disgusting people on the Tube. Also a lot of people who sleep standing up. I've developed a cold partly from some disgusting motherfucker not washing their hands, and also from me not washing my hands. Breathing is bad around a few hundred other people, m'kay?

That NBC thing is a joke. I'm guessing they're not showing sports in "real time", probably understandably. But I'm pretty surprised about their whole operation generally (they have quite a few hundred more presenters than the UK does too...)

The GB gymnastics team were just beaten to the Silver by the Japanese. We put on a pretty much flawless performance (high 15 on the pummel horse, excellent stuff) and Japan had two of their guys fall off and have early dismounts. They were of couse, penalised for this. Then they inquired into it, the judges decided that the dismount was a "landing", not a "fall". But it doesn't really matter, it's the first medal we've had in gymnastics since the Olympics in 1912 (where we also won bronze!)

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #77 on: 01 Aug 2012, 01:10 »

Congratulations to Michael Phelps for having good teammates

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #78 on: 01 Aug 2012, 05:48 »

I know Phelps broke the record for Olympic medals yesterday, but does anybody else feel like it's a little early to start calling him "the greatest Olympian of all time" or whatever the announcer said last night?
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #79 on: 01 Aug 2012, 07:23 »

I mean, he's definitely one of the best swimmers, but I wouldn't say he tops all other Olympic athletes of all time.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #80 on: 01 Aug 2012, 08:03 »

NBC major fail example #527, from Wil "the birthday boy" Wheaton's tumblr

What I found even funnier was the VISA commercial that played after Michael Phelps got second place in his swim talking about how he might be getting gold medals.

Also, corruption in badminton? Really? It's fucking badminton.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #81 on: 01 Aug 2012, 10:22 »

I like how as soon as a 16yo Chinese girl whomped ass in the women's 200m IM race, first thing NBC's announcer says is something involving "now of course there's going to be suspicion and she will be subject to blah blah rigorous drug/doping test" and "breakthroughs are common in sporting events but so is doping" and all kinds of super accusatory-sounding shit. Come on, NBC, are you fucking serious

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #82 on: 01 Aug 2012, 13:19 »

As soon as the Chinese win there will be accusations. I'm not convinced at all that it's justified.. the other day this 15-year old Latvian won and there were no accusations. No one accuses the USA of doping (at least not regularly) despite some very famous incidents.

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #83 on: 02 Aug 2012, 00:25 »

I don't think that it's accusations being levelled just because the swimmer is Chinese. I'd heard of the "unbelievable performance" without reference to the nationality and thought that it warranted suspicion. Although I did find out about the nationality when looking further into it, it was still the basic and seeming anomalous facts of the performance that maintained that suspicion. It was the full context of events that justified the performance as natural, however it would have been disingenuous not to consider doping as a potential reason. Innocent until proven guilty doesn't mean we absent suspicion altogether.

Of course I caveat this as coming from a person who's almost sole sporting interest is in cycling where sudden and unexpected performances are very often key indicators of doping. I accept that it isn't easy to directly transliterate that to other sporting activities. With regards to the very forward vocalisation of doping concerns. That might be partly due to the combination of concerns of the integrity of the sport and defeat of vicarious ambitions in an emotional moment. That the first and easiest justification of an anomalous athletic performance is often doping says a lot about the current state of sport overall, not just racist attitudes towards other countries. Doping very easily wrecks the integrity of a sport that it is found in and, as any fan of cycling will know, can lead to any win of any order rousing suspicions. Sadly it can take a lot for the balance of evidence in favour of clean racing to be accepted by the masses.

As for not accusing the USA of doping? If I were a commentator, I would be cautious about externally voicing suspicions of any American athlete without the backing  of substantial evidence. That's more to do with the perception of the US litigation culture than anything else though.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #84 on: 03 Aug 2012, 02:46 »

Re: Doping.

The athletes who use performance enhancing drugs often get caught nowadays. If not right away, then later, when the good guys learn exactly what chemicals to look for. My son just told me that a Belorussian hammer thrower has just been caught like that. He will probably lose his olympic gold from 2004 and the world championship won in 2005. Not official yet, but WADA has the right to deepfreeze the samples and perform more tests later on. If confirmed, this case should act as a deterrent.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #85 on: 04 Aug 2012, 02:45 »

Speaking of world-class athletic performances, here's a write-up of ultramarathon runner Cliff Young, who started competing at age 61. You're all still reading Badass of the Week, right?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #86 on: 04 Aug 2012, 07:45 »

As soon as the Chinese win there will be accusations. I'm not convinced at all that it's justified.. the other day this 15-year old Latvian won and there were no accusations. No one accuses the USA of doping (at least not regularly) despite some very famous incidents.
With regard to all the weaselly smearing remarks being aimed at Ye Shiwen, I am reminded of Pope's famous lines about Addison:

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer
And, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer;
Willing to wound, and yet afraid to strike,
Just hint a fault, and hesitate dislike."

I hope they feel really proud of so loudly and publicly pissing on the head of a 16-year-old girl. Suppose she's completely innocent; are they proud of forever tainting her achievement? What heroes! What sportsmanship! If this is what the Olympic spirit means, let's call the whole thing off. A Chinese swimmer wins? Call her a cheat, in weaselly words so that you can pretend you didn't. If she tests negative? Oh that just means she'll be caught a few years down the track "when the good guys learn exactly what chemicals to look for". It is essentially impossible to prove innocence. I mean, seriously, why bother?

That's more to do with the perception of the US litigation culture than anything else though.
So basically, if Chinese athletes are going to get some respect, they should start throwing lawsuits around. :(

In the case of the Korean fencer, I'm not quite sure how the organisers justify giving someone a win this way. Something else for the Olympics to be proud of. Maybe Korean athletes should start throwing lawsuits around too. :(

I wonder who the goon in the cheap suit man-handling Ms. Shin is?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #87 on: 04 Aug 2012, 10:04 »

Probably just that. A goon.

Very well said by the way. They really won't let "innocent before proven otherwise" rule. That being said, a lot of Chinese swimmers HAVE been caught and of course standard testing is warranted. I just don't see why the comments must go in this direction.. but maybe I'm expecting too much from sport commentators.

A couple of quotes from the Swedish broadcasts:

"Here we see a happy Chinese. A happy chinese is a very happy person!" (dunno what they meant really.. just sounded stupid and vaguely racist)

"Here stands a small, confused Japanese!" (about this Japanese male gymnast star. Maybe not racist but definitely condescending.)

I usually just turn of the sound...

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #88 on: 04 Aug 2012, 10:06 »

Khrm. I may have created some false impressions, so let me state a few things for the record. I am not suspecting any swimmer, Chinese or American at this time. I was just delighted that a cheat (who had been caught earlier, had served a suspension, came back still winning) was caught, if only 8 years afterwards, and hopefully his achievements will be erased from the official records.

Let's not name any athletes as this is understandably a touchy subject.

I am not happy with the way US media handles this. In the 80s the same people who were pointing fingers at East German girls (about the same age as this Chinese girl) for steroid use, were simultaneously hero-worshipping NHL/NFL-players who more or less openly gulped anabolics and/or other stuff.

I am not happy with the way our media (or anyone else's) handles it. We had been calling Norwegian Xcountry-skiers cheats for their use of asthma medication in the 90s (come on, if you suffer from asthma, you are not participating in endurance events?). But lo and behold, our entire team was caught using drugs that cover the use of EPO ten years later.  :psyduck: The nation has still not recovered from the shame.

A full team of Chinese female track stars (endurance events) disappeared from the scene at one point. Curiously at about the same time as new tests were announced. Their coaching staff had several advisors from East Germany. Mostly hearsay?

A few years back American sprint runners started tattling on each other, which lead to some suspensions, and obviously also litigation. Several were never caught, but a shadow was cast as other athletes under the wing of the same coach were caught.

The weight classes for weightlifting have been redefined (may be twice already?) for the sole purpose to erase the old world records from the books. In other words, they admitted that the old records were most likely achieved by cheats who never got caught.

I may be a pessimist, but I still suspect that not all get caught. Judging from what I have read the testers now think that they are ahead in the game, but that is a recent change. Before that the cheats were ahead, because doing minor alterations to some drugs made them invisible to tests without culling their effectiveness.

Because nations compete and want to win, this is unavoidable. The athletes get caught in the middle. Sometimes they don't really have a choice whether to take a drug or not. Happens in totalitarian countries, but also in the so called free countries it may easily happen that a shady coach or somebody else can influence some eager youngsters so that they cross the line.

I hope Ye Shiwen is innocent. It is sad that the OG is so far away from the original spirit that accusations will fly. It is sad that she is caught in the middle of this, but nowadays that cannot be helped!! Large nations compete for supremacy and lesser nations for their share of the glory. Innocent and guilty people alike are caught in it.

Summary: This is nothing new. This kind of rumors should not have come as a surprise to anyone involved. It is sad that young people cannot just have fun competing, but them's the breaks.

The ancient Greek olympics were not free of similar power struggles and accusations between competing city-states. IIRC one of the reasons they were discontinued was that the games became too political.

I do prefer nations competing at Olympic Games as a kind of substitute to a war.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #89 on: 04 Aug 2012, 11:00 »

In the case of the Korean fencer, I'm not quite sure how the organisers justify giving someone a win this way. Something else for the Olympics to be proud of. Maybe Korean athletes should start throwing lawsuits around too. :(

I heard about this and thought it was pretty pathetic. Honestly I thought it sounded like they were favoring the other fencer.

I don't know what it is about these games, things just seem weird. The fencing, the Chinese swimmer, the badminton, and the stupid new rules for gymnastics and among other things just make things seem so fishy. I don't remember this going on in 2008.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #90 on: 04 Aug 2012, 13:54 »

But for my money track & (in particular) field events are the most awaited events. Today has been a good day for the host nation.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #91 on: 04 Aug 2012, 14:56 »

They really won't let "innocent before proven otherwise" rule.
Certainly not where Ye Shiwin is concerned, but when Michael Phelps won his 19th medal, did the Chinese coach immediately rush out and publicly brand him a doper and cheat? Oh, but he's clean you say? You mean he's passed the drug tests. So has Ye. It is very hard not to see a double-standard here.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #92 on: 04 Aug 2012, 15:36 »

Ms. Shin, by the way, did finally win a Silver in Team epee with her South Korean team.

If the IOC and LOCOG had an ounce of integrity, they'd give her two.

BTW: The timekeeper that screwed up the match where she lost the appeal was only... fifteen. There is not a facepalm big enough on the internet for that.  :psyduck:
Just another Joe like 46

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #93 on: 05 Aug 2012, 04:33 »

I don't know what it is about these games, things just seem weird. The fencing, the Chinese swimmer, the badminton, and the stupid new rules for gymnastics and among other things just make things seem so fishy. I don't remember this going on in 2008.

There have been some pretty shocking decisions in any of the sports involving judges. A couple of the boxing matches have been such a joke that even the elderly BBC commentators have been moved to raise their voice a decibel or two.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19095408

And there was another fella who got knocked down five times and still 'won.'

Take out all the sports that can't be adjudicated by a computer before Rio.

Lupercal

« Reply #94 on: 05 Aug 2012, 07:22 »

Certainly has been a great day for Team GB.

Very proud. So much pressure on these individuals (in all cases and countries) but it is great to see them perform so well. Especially when people keep talking about Beijing like it was a week ago - it was four years ago! What did we all do and act like four years ago? It seems like a long time to keep up olympian standards of your respective sport.

We had a brilliant night last night. Shame the GB Olympic football team - again, out on penalties. Overpaid footballers seem about as far away from the olympic ideals as possible really. Now we're just a nation relying on Andy Murray (again) to do something spectacular - although he does have at least a silver medal in mixed doubles and men's singles. 

Does it not seem strange that Ye Shiwin's win was marked in controversy, whereas 15 year old Katie Ledecky's win in the 800m freestyle was just seen as a great accomplishment? Nobody decided Ledecky was using drugs, having beat the American record for the race along with the defending Olympic champion and holder of the word record time (Rebecca Adlington).

Skaltura

• Furry furrier
« Reply #95 on: 05 Aug 2012, 08:23 »

Federer got kinda owned by Murray just now, I'm really happy for the Brit but Roger never really felt present in the match today, he seemed tired to me. I don't really see him staying in the game until Rio 2016 to get another shot at this.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #96 on: 05 Aug 2012, 13:02 »

The US men's medley relay team captain was PISSED when NBC asked him what it meant to him to have Michael Phelps on his team. lololololol

Lupercal

« Reply #97 on: 05 Aug 2012, 15:06 »

Federer got kinda owned by Murray just now, I'm really happy for the Brit but Roger never really felt present in the match today, he seemed tired to me. I don't really see him staying in the game until Rio 2016 to get another shot at this.

Federer is brilliant indoors - the roof was off and it was Murray's game. Plus he won Wimbledon and had come off of a hard year, I think. He can't win them all! Federer will be what, mid thirties in Rio? He's more likely to go for the grand slams between now and then and maybe let another Swiss champ go for gold in the next olympics.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #98 on: 07 Aug 2012, 01:27 »

You mean he's passed the drug tests. So has Ye. It is very hard not to see a double-standard here.

Oh, look - someone took drugs by mistake!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #99 on: 07 Aug 2012, 01:34 »

Weed is a "performance enhancing drug" now? I didn't know art was an Olympic sport  :psyduck:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up