Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And now, another weekend installment of MOMENT OF THE WEEK:

Want me to get the hose, Hanners?
- 0 (0%)
The hose awaits if you misbehave.
- 1 (2.5%)
Do you have a sister? There's a girl who started interning... Oh god you've met Claire?
- 0 (0%)
We're gonna need a bigger hose.
- 2 (5%)
Where were you guys?
- 0 (0%)
Oh jeez, was Dora there? You didn't talk to her did you? Uh, no... Huh? Yes you did.
- 1 (2.5%)
You talked to her for a long time! About Ms. Hubbert!
- 0 (0%)
You are a terrible friend. You're also a terrible friend. We're FRIENDS?
- 12 (30%)
She asked me not to talk about it. Cat's already out of the bag.
- 0 (0%)
Doesn't mean I'm gonna let it run out the front door and into traffic.
- 1 (2.5%)
In for a penny, in for a pound!
- 0 (0%)
Not throwing good money after bad. (Damn it, I've been out-idiomed.)
- 4 (10%)
How do you even eat that? With my mouth!
- 2 (5%)
Want me to say anything? Rather you didn't, still gotta figure out what to do.
- 0 (0%)
It'll be for the best - unless you smoke crack and punch her in the face...
- 1 (2.5%)
OMF GROMF HOMF
- 6 (15%)
My intuition is telling me that Dora's being all wishy-washy aboout it when she SHOULD be over here making out with me.
- 2 (5%)
Okay. I'm gonna go down there and get a straight answer. Hold down the fort.
- 1 (2.5%)
Like, maybe you oughta give her some time to make up her mind? Waiting's for suckers!
- 1 (2.5%)
...Good luck.
- 6 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2241-45 (30 July-3 August 2012) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 50300 times)

WAYF

• Beyoncé

But if you have sex with somebody LESS crazy than you, then THEY'RE not following the advice! :psyduck:

Tomorrow's comic: Claire does something weird, and/or Marten asks her if she's related to this guy called Clinton. Then SHE accuses HIM of being the weird sibling. :P

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

But if you have sex with somebody LESS crazy than you, then THEY'RE not following the advice! :psyduck:

Yeah, it's like the advice which says that co-ed schools are best for boys, and single-sex schools are best for girls. Makes perfect sense.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Wonder what it's like to be loomed over by a Hanners. Clinton appears slightly terrified.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

I know Hanners is pretty tall... But I do wonder how tall Clinton is since the difference seems very noticeable. Maybe around 5'5''-5'7''?

As he appears to be about the same height as Faye (and if we go by my height chart), that puts him at right about 5'7", yes.

rcs

• Not quite a lurker

And in the life imitates art department, Olympic gold medal gymnast Gabby Douglas is getting grief about her hair.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!

Anyone who wants to criticize the appearance of a Gold medal winning gymnast should have to do so while doing a handstand on a 4 inch beam 4 feet off the ground.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I google imaged her...am I missing something? I like her hair.  At worst, it's unremarkable, which makes people complaining about it all the more confusing.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tova

• coprophage

I decided to google the topic, saw the words "Twitter row", and immediately lost any further interest.  :roll:
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I just googled it and feel dumber for having read an article about it.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Anyone wanna bet the reason why Claire wanted to avoid CoD was because she saw Hannelore working there?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P

(I still think it has to do with some tweets Jeph made just before the new chars were introduced, relating to a certain... transition)

Dear gods that is some tiny font. I actually scroll-zoomed a few times before I realized it wasn't going to work well.
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

Toe

• Obscure cultural reference

Dear gods this is some tiny font. You shouldn't actually scroll-zoom on it, you'll only realize it won't work well. You now feel dumber for reading this.

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

Dear gods this is some tiny font. You shouldn't actually scroll-zoom on it, you'll only realize it won't work well. You now feel dumber for reading this.
That's why I just hit quote in order to read it. Strange, I still feel dumb.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Note, I'm not saying this as a moderator, and this is not policy, but I find the trend of using increasingly small font as an aside to be really annoying. Like I said, I'm not saying this in official capacity, and it's not against the rules...I just don't like it.  I'm only bringing it up now because attention is being called to it, it's nothing personal, Toe.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Note, I'm not saying this as a moderator, and this is not policy, but I find the trend of using increasingly small font as an aside to be really annoying. Like I said, I'm not saying this in official capacity, and it's not against the rules...I just don't like it.  I'm only bringing it up now because attention is being called to it, it's nothing personal, Toe.

I propose we have a Ministry of Small Text.

Tova

• coprophage

When it's unreadable, I have to agree... though I admit it's kind of pointless even if readable.

I've always used copy/paste into a text editor to read them (if I could be bothered to read it at all - sometimes I can't).

Back on topic...

Anyone wanna bet the reason why Claire wanted to avoid CoD was because she saw Hannelore working there?

Interesting idea, but I'd say not. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the coffee she bought for Marten was from CoD anyway. Also, I'm not convinced that Claire would know of the connection if Clinton didn't (although it's possible).

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I'm thinking he probably raved on about finally finding "that girl who is Chatham's daughter" in Northampton at a family gathering.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

By the way - anyone catch exactly why Jeph is in New Mexico?
Just another Joe like 46

DudeReadThis

• Plantmonster

Maybe Old Mexico was full?

[/bad joke]

rcs

• Not quite a lurker

Is Spaceport America where Spaceship shuttles to Station?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I saw that he and Rowland were out there, but didn't see anything as to why. If there's a comic thing out there, it's hidden from general view... and that's nowhere near Area 51, mind you.
Just another Joe like 46

Romanticide

• Plantmonster

I google imaged her...am I missing something? I like her hair.  At worst, it's unremarkable, which makes people complaining about it all the more confusing.

It has to do with this way of thinking that hair like hers and many other men and woman is "ugly" and "messy" and how hair is only beautiful the more close it is to a caucasian person... is quite a damaging thing :(

http://loveisntenough.com/2007/09/21/good-hair-and-bad-hair-the-silent-messages-our-children-receive/

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Comic!

....This will not end well.
Just another Joe like 46

Dust

I just googled it and feel dumber for having read an article about it.

One day I'll see a comment like this, and it won't trigger the "schmuck bait" part of my brain... but not today.

Why wouldn't gymnasts want loose hair in their face....? :psyduck:

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

...what's that whistling noise I hear after today's (Friday's) update?
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

I am trying to come up with a post that uses ALL of the "Idiom Ammunition", and am failing miserably. 

Maybe tomorrow, when I am less tired. 
a 'dčanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeňid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Re: hair...it's interesting, I guess I just never really thought about it before. I mean...it's hair, people have different types of hair, and they do different things to it, and someone who's doing flips is going to want it out of her face.

As for the comic...good luck, Tai!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

*Fade to black with dramatic music recycled from ST:DS9*

TO BE CONTINUED........
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Idiom Ammunition:

The cat's out of the bag.    0 (0%)
In for a penny, in for a pound.    0 (0%)
Throwing good money after bad.    0 (0%)
Putting the horse before the cart.    0 (0%)
Lead a horse to water, can't make it drink.    1 (2.6%)
Closing the barn doors after the horses have left.    3 (7.7%)
A clean house is the sign of a sick mind.    4 (10.3%)
Never have sex with anyone crazier than you.    11 (28.2%) <-- Why did I KNOW this one would get the most votes?
Get caught with your pants down.    0 (0%)
Tail wags the dog.    0 (0%)
Tai wags the Dora!    7 (17.9%)
Who's got two thumbs and can't think of an idiom? THIS guy/gal!    3 (7.7%)
Banana smoothies.    4 (10.3%)
I don't know (Third base!)    6 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 39
Just another Joe like 46

Tova

• coprophage

He pretty much caved and gave her the answer she wanted, but she wasn't paying attention.

I can't imagine that putting Dora on the spot will do Tai any favours. Regardless of how she responds.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

So Tai is going to press Dora for an answer.

Isn't Dora going to feel cornered? She wants to be the one in control of whatever situation she's in.

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Just because there's a whole weekend between now and the earliest possible strip that can prove me wrong, I'll dump this on the picnic table:

I posit that Thursday's strip with Clinton visiting CoD was presented out of order; that it took place just before the second visit of the interns to the Shop of the Smashed Banana. We did not see Clinton's subsequent purchase of a large latte.
As an minor detail in support of my little brain game, it's been established some owners of cyberhands wear removable, realistic, skin-like coverings for them.
C&C share certain obvious personality quirks, in particular an unpredictable intensity.
A huge hint
(click to show/hide)
was dropped in a guest strip that seems to have more than the usual approval of our host.

My little supposition will likely be bombed into slag as early as Monday's strip, but until then, I'm going to have fun with the thought.

"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

rcs

• Not quite a lurker

This is not a smart move for Tai. Confronting Dora about a possible romantic situation in public at her business? Also in perspective, for Tai this is a longstanding issue that needs to be resolved. For Dora, it's a new and intriguing relationship possibility. Tai should be romancing Dora, not demanding answers.

Also, was a reason for Clinton's robotic hand ever given? I didn't see anything in the Wiki, and for some reason I have a sense that he just got it because he's a robot geek. I know he said he doesn't use a cover because it looks cooler this way, but I can't find if he had an injury, illness, or birth defect for the reason of his getting one in the first place.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

No, they are NOT one and the same. Geez.
Just another Joe like 46

EspyPsyche

• Not quite a lurker
  • Stalker in the night...

"If it weren't for him [J E-C], I wouldn't have my hand."

When he's pointing out the reason for his admiration of Hannerdad, mentioning this pretty much means that he wouldn't have any hand otherwise. Now this doesn't point out why he wouldn't have a hand, but it does point out that he wasn't just like "Hey, I think I'm gonna have them cut off my perfectly functioning hand just so I can have a robotic one!".

DrBear

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Icon being from guest comic by the Hjinks Ensue.
    • Blog about my book

I'm surprised the idiom poll didn't include "don't look a gift lion in the mouth."
I'm working on slashfic involving Lily from AT&T, Jan from Toyota and Jake from State Farm.

WAYF

• Beyoncé

Jeph surely has mastered the art of posting the most discussion-worthy comics on a Friday, hasn't he?

It occurs to me that Tai has a very similar outlook on life to Raven.
Whether this is a good thing or not in the current situation, we have yet to find out.
I will say, though, that I prefer Tai's method of dealing with this than, say, trying to second-guess Dora and dance around the issue so as to not ruin anything but at the same time not really make any progress. Cause that could have all too easily happened here.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.

Boldly she rode and well
Into the jaws of death
Into the mouth of Hell
Rode the Tai Fighter.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

So Tai is going to press Dora for an answer.

Isn't Dora going to feel cornered? She wants to be the one in control of whatever situation she's in.

I thought she was going to the shrink to address that problem? Tai laying down the law might be the thing that snaps her out of that mentality.

Or we get a big shock and find out Dora has a submissive personality and bends easily to Tai.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Holy ... talk about a 180° change of mind from her state this morning for no particular reason ...
I have a bad feeling about this.
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

Into the mouth of Hell
Rode the Tai Fighter.

So you think she'll get lucky?

:evil:

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

I serioualy have no idea what to expect. 50% gives me a bad feeling and the other half a good one.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

...I still have a bad feeling about this.
Just another Joe like 46

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

This is QC; the course of (true/imagined/whatever) love never runs smoothly.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

This is QC; the course of (true/imagined/whatever) love never runs smoothly.

So any bets on when Faye and Angus will break up anyone?

Milesb

I think that no matter how Tai gets on with Dora, Marten could find himself in hot water...

As far as I understand it chronologically from Dora's perspective, Dora and Marten chat about Tai, he leaves with the interns, and a short (hur hur) while later Tai turns up and whatever is gonna happen on Monday happens.

So, I'm gonna suggest Dora may assume Marten blabbed his face off. We know he didn't really do that but we're not Dora. Hasn't she gone a bit nuts at Marten for less?

I'm kind of hoping that there might be more small steps forward for Dora within the incoming storm of drama. Perhaps the new boundaries of the Marten-Dora relationship will allow Marten to actually help Dora with these issues, you know?

Wishful thinking, huh..?

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

I think that no matter how Tai gets on with Dora, Marten could find himself in hot water...

As far as I understand it chronologically from Dora's perspective, Dora and Marten chat about Tai, he leaves with the interns, and a short (hur hur) while later Tai turns up and whatever is gonna happen on Monday happens.

So, I'm gonna suggest Dora may assume Marten blabbed his face off. We know he didn't really do that but we're not Dora. Hasn't she gone a bit nuts at Marten for less?

I'm kind of hoping that there might be more small steps forward for Dora within the incoming storm of drama. Perhaps the new boundaries of the Marten-Dora relationship will allow Marten to actually help Dora with these issues, you know?

Wishful thinking, huh..?
In Marten's defence, it was Emily who initiated today's ordeal. Tai should at least alleviate some of Dora's wrath if she mentions this...

One can hope that her therapy sessions have helped somewhat with her control issues (do we know how much time has passed in the QCverse since Dora's last session?), and that rather than fly off the handle and potentially ruin everything for Tai, Marten and indeed herself, she approaches this with a level head and makes her decisions (whether it's a "yes", "no" or "I need time") accordingly.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Jabberwocky

• Larger than most fish
  • Pony!

I'm surprised the idiom poll didn't include "don't look a gift lion in the mouth."
I'm surprised it didn't include "no poo-poo on the pee-pee".  :psyduck:

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

What, no endless dancing around ? Whow !

Never have sex with anyone crazier than you.
That btw means nobody could ever have sex with anyone, unless there would be two people who are exactly as crazy as the other one.
Carpe Diem

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Martin.  You should have just not opened your mouth at all.

Tai....oh tai.  Setting yourself up for major disaster and disappointment.

And charging ahead for explanations from Dora isn't the smartest thing ever.

Have a feeling this will end badly for her.

He pretty much caved and gave her the answer she wanted, but she wasn't paying attention.

I can't imagine that putting Dora on the spot will do Tai any favours. Regardless of how she responds.

This is not a smart move for Tai. Confronting Dora about a possible romantic situation in public at her business? Also in perspective, for Tai this is a longstanding issue that needs to be resolved. For Dora, it's a new and intriguing relationship possibility. Tai should be romancing Dora, not demanding answers.

Also, was a reason for Clinton's robotic hand ever given? I didn't see anything in the Wiki, and for some reason I have a sense that he just got it because he's a robot geek. I know he said he doesn't use a cover because it looks cooler this way, but I can't find if he had an injury, illness, or birth defect for the reason of his getting one in the first place.
[/b][/color]

Hence why I thought Tai was always a poor choice right off the bat and in general.  I get she's making strides, but she still has a helluva long way to go in maturing to handle Dora.

And I hardly think "laying down the law" will snap Dora out of her issues.  It will just annoy her.  Hell, it'd annoy the hell out of me and I don't have issues to be pressed for answers, the next day, at my place of business.  That'd turn me off faster than anything.  Tai needs to calm down and take a moment to process as well.

I just hope this doesn't turn into a [Dora recovering doesn't wanna hurt Tai so says maybe/ok thang].  Don't want Tai pressuring Dora into an answer.  Never a good thing. 

Hope Dora turns her down for now.  Maybe down the line yea.  But, yeh.  The Tai Fighter is gonna get plastered by the Falcon it seems.
« Last Edit: 03 Aug 2012, 07:23 by Madmartigan »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up