THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 12:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Bear with me folks, I've only done this once before: What was the MOMENT OF THE WEEK??

"About last night...I was drunk, but I totally meant it."
- 1 (0.7%)
"I'm super into you. The whole shebang. Massive crush. Barfin' butterflies."
- 11 (8.1%)
"If it doesn't work out, hey, it happens. I wanna give it a try."
- 1 (0.7%)
"So, uh-* *SMOOOOOCH* :-D
- 16 (11.8%)
Tai and Dora practice the call of the domesticated Marten
- 4 (2.9%)
"Is this normally what happens when people kiss?"
- 1 (0.7%)
"I hope not...I've been doing wrong this whole time"
- 3 (2.2%)
POWER HUG! (and a bruised sternum)
- 10 (7.4%)
"You promise you're okay with this?" "I promise. I'm happy for you guys"
- 0 (0%)
"Good...Right now I would happily sacrifice our friendship for more Dora-kisses"
- 5 (3.7%)
Marten appreciates brutal honesty
- 1 (0.7%)
"You're ok with this?" (again)
- 0 (0%)
SEE? HE'S SERIOUSLY OK WITH IT PEOPLE!!!! GOD!
- 6 (4.4%)
"I don't believe in altruism. You must have an angle." "I like seeing my friends happy."
- 1 (0.7%)
"It would make ME happy if you have me a hundred bucks." "Who says we're friends?" (burn)
- 4 (2.9%)
"WE'RE friends" (double burn)
- 14 (10.3%)
"Do you have a belly button?"
- 5 (3.7%)
"Of COURSE I-" *checks* "Yes, I do."
- 13 (9.6%)
BOOP!
- 4 (2.9%)
ANIMATED BOOP! (Emily will rule this comic)
- 36 (26.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2246-2250 (August 6-10 2012) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 93808 times)

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

Don't do polls often. Hope this suffices.

Excited about this week! Which is a sure way to get a Yelling Bird strip  :-P
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

I don't have a good idea of how this will go, but a lot of it depends on exactly how Tai asks Dora. If she just asks her out, then anything can happen. If she wants Dora to commit there and then, then it will end the usual way as per the first poll option.

I'm hoping it's the former.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Thanks for the assist. RL was a you-know-what this morning.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor

No prob dude it happens. Hope it's nothing too serious?
- Alvin

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Good luck with whatever it is, J-dubs.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Daaaaaaaaaaaaang.  Everything turned out better than expected.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

Awww...

Now I bet we're going to find out that Tai "didn't feel anything" and just wants to be friends  :-(
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Daaaaaaaaaaaaang.  Everything turned out better than expected.

Don't count your chickens before they hatched.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor

WOW!

I really did just put that option in the poll because it was technically possible; I really didn't think makeouts would actually happen!

What a lovely way to start the week  :-D
- Alvin

tut21

• Plantmonster

Yow.

Moments like that are what make life worth living. Who cares if they don't work out. I wish I had known that long ago.

Ethereal

• Not quite a lurker

That's one very happy Tai at this moment in the strip.  Way to go.

ElvisRevenge

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • PLEASE HANNERS, DON'T HURT 'EM
    • Tumblr

YES. THINGS GO BETTER THAN EXPECTED. Jeph, you master of dialogue and girl-making-out-timing.

helloandgoodbye

• I have a cloaca too. ;)

asjdklajdlasdja YAY.

I WAS WAITING FOR THIS. JEPH YOU ARE WONDERFUL.

Hybredmoon

• Not quite a lurker

I've been reading QC since 2003-ish? I dunno, there were only a hand full of comics up when I started following along. Today marks the day I stop, and since there isn't a forum on the main site that I could find I had to search for this one just to say my goodbyes. I could not possibly oppose the pairing of Tai and Dora more. It's nothing against homosexuality or anything like that. I dunno, I kind of identify with Marten, and it sucks watching the poor guy constantly get screwed over. Even if he is ok with it I'm not. So that's it, it's been a fun ride, Jeph thanks for the laughs, the memories, and the kick ass T-shirts.  Probably the only thing that could bring me back now would be a Marten / Marigold hook up.  =3

Tova

• coprophage

... and I thought I was being optimistic in my poll selection. I was still wrong!

I boldly predict that Marten will cope with this a lot better than some readers who still haven't managed to get over Dora and Marten's breakup.

Edit: I forgot to mention: "I'm about to barf butterflies" cracked me up.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

helloandgoodbye

I kind of identify with Marten

Are

Even if he is ok with it I'm not.

you

Probably the only thing that could bring me back now would be a Marten / Marigold hook up.  =3

serious?

Oh, God, how is he getting screwed over?  Dora and him broke up.  Marten has been in another relationship since then.  Knowing this comic, he will most likely end up with another girl sometime in the future.

And really, Marten/Marigold is the worst idea EVER.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor

I've been reading QC since 2003-ish? I dunno, there were only a hand full of comics up when I started following along. Today marks the day I stop, and since there isn't a forum on the main site that I could find I had to search for this one just to say my goodbyes. I could not possibly oppose the pairing of Tai and Dora more. It's nothing against homosexuality or anything like that. I dunno, I kind of identify with Marten, and it sucks watching the poor guy constantly get screwed over. Even if he is ok with it I'm not. So that's it, it's been a fun ride, Jeph thanks for the laughs, the memories, and the kick ass T-shirts.  Probably the only thing that could bring me back now would be a Marten / Marigold hook up.  =3

- Alvin

Hybredmoon

• Not quite a lurker

"I'm about to barf butterflies" cracked me up.
That was pretty damn funny.

Hybredmoon

• Not quite a lurker

Oh quit yer crying all of ya. I'm entitled to hate Dora/Tai as much as I wanna. My resolve to stop following the comic will last right up until tomorrow morning when I need my QC fix. I'll keep checking just to see if Dora and Tai go down like Marten's mom or the Hindenburg. Jeph has figured out how to transmit heroin through the internet I swear.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Jadzia and Lenara would be proud

Or to put it simply

:-o   HOLY SHIT!!   :-o
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

helloandgoodbye

I really hope the Dora/Tai ship sails at least for a while.  Tai is by far my favorite secondary character, and I think she'll be a positive influence for Dora.  :-)

tut21

• Plantmonster

Oh quit yer crying all of ya. I'm entitled to hate Dora/Tai as much as I wanna. My resolve to stop following the comic will last right up until tomorrow morning when I need my QC fix. I'll keep checking just to see if Dora and Tai go down like Marten's mom or the Hindenburg. Jeph has figured out how to transmit heroin through the internet I swear.

That's fine. Just don't expect anyone here to take you seriously from now on.

ElvisRevenge

• PLEASE HANNERS, DON'T HURT 'EM
    • Tumblr

To quote the artist's work:

blewupthesun

• Not quite a lurker

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

[insert Hanners & Marten cutefaces here]

I'm so happy this worked out so well! Go you, Tai.

Hybredmoon

• Not quite a lurker

Are

Kinda

you

sorta

serious?

probably not.

Oh, God, how is he getting screwed over?  Dora and him broke up.  Marten has been in another relationship since then.  Knowing this comic, he will most likely end up with another girl sometime in the future.

Another failed relationship. I don't know, where I come from friends don't date friends ex's. I understand in the confines of a comic strip it's difficult to constantly introduce new characters and maintain any sense of connection. Doesn't change how I feel though.

And really, Marten/Marigold is the worst idea EVER.

You are a heathen and should burn for all times  :mrgreen:

WAYF

• Beyoncé

Yeah, and it's a hell of an awesome callback to where this all began.

I have so many things to say about today's comic:

1) We spent most of the weekend debating just how into girls Dora was. We were practically asking for this just to shut us up.

2) Tai is two for two on awesome speeches. What a champion. ;D

3) Prediction: Marten will be more surprised by the revelation that Claire and Clinton are related.

4) So Faye, Hannelore and possibly Clinton are totally watching them make out in the middle of the street, huh.

5) I have no idea what that pipe is, so I'm going to guess that Faye is secretly a robot, and is charging her batteries by plugging in at the elbow. Or possibly oiling her gears.

6) Just realized: When did Tai's glasses change? They used to be more teardrop-shaped.

Hybredmoon

• Not quite a lurker

That's fine. Just don't expect anyone here to take you seriously from now on.
I never, EVER expect anyone on the internet to take me seriously. That's why I get confused when people are butthurt that my opinion is different from theirs.

Hybredmoon

• Not quite a lurker

Yeah, and it's a hell of an awesome callback to where this all began.

Nice catch on that, I didn't even think of that.

helloandgoodbye

Another failed relationship. I don't know, where I come from friends don't date friends ex's. I understand in the confines of a comic strip it's difficult to constantly introduce new characters and maintain any sense of connection. Doesn't change how I feel though.

A lot of relationships fail. In this comic, we've seen Marten in two relationships (not counting past ones). You act like Marten is in some horrible situation when he isn't.  A lot of people go through the same shit as him.

Also, Tai asked his permission to date Dora.  Not that she really needed to.  I never understood why people are so against people dating exes.  I dated my friend's ex, and it caused no problems.  She had already moved on, and she's in a relationship with a great guy right now.

You are a heathen and should burn for all times  :mrgreen:

I'm curious as to why you think Marten/Marigold would actually work? :/  Even setting aside Marigold's social awkwardness and inexperience, she and Marten share NO common interests and are more of "peripheral" friends.  They never hang out together one-on-one or anything.  Even though Jeph said Marigold and Hanners would never be in a relationship since they're straight, they at least make more sense to me since they actually enjoy hanging out together.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page

We're probably going to see some blissful walking on air this week.  As to how their relationship would go when things start getting rough, it's hard to say.  But, for now, I think this is appropriate.
Francisco

Tova

• coprophage

That's why I get confused when people are butthurt that my opinion is different from theirs.

I think "bemused" is the b-word you were looking for there, actually.

And, um, you're awfully involved in this thread for someone who has decided to stop reading...

(:

Edit: Oh and I agree with the consensus: Marten and Marigold is the silliest idea I've ever seen on these boards. You're not... trolling are you?  :angel:

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

There's just something very cool about the Tai confessing panels.  Jeph really did a good job conveying her emotions there.

misterlight

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

helloandgoodbye

Lol I like how people sign up just to complain about the comic.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

That's a hose the Pugnacious Peach was holding.

Does Tai's speech amount to a Crowning Moment of Awesome?

All relationships end in breakups, except a minority that end in corpsehood.

I hope this works. I want the nonexistent people to be happy.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

I think that Faye is holding the hose she planned to use on Clinton. 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Hybredmoon

• Not quite a lurker

I'm curious as to why you think Marten/Marigold would actually work? :/  Even setting aside Marigold's social awkwardness and inexperience, she and Marten share NO common interests and are more of "peripheral" friends.  They never hang out together one-on-one or anything.  Even though Jeph said Marigold and Hanners would never be in a relationship since they're straight, they at least make more sense to me since they actually enjoy hanging out together.
Opposites attract. My current situation reflects this.

I'm a pretty outgoing person, I like to ride my bike and fish and hike, I try to be as sociable as possible. My gf on the other hand is a computer gaming fanatic. She raids in Warcraft, and tried to teach me starcraft once but after my 6th consecutive loss to her I gave up being an actual player, now I just manage the base and build whatever little dudes she tells me too while she micro's the troops around the map when we do 2v2.  We actually met each other while I was trying to be a good wingman for a friend of mine. I was the double in a double date, so I'm sitting there trying to make polite conversation when I mentioned that my younger brother's birthday was coming up and I had no idea what to get him. She started talking about video games and it was like watching a painting come to life. Suddenly this wall flower was chatting, asking questions, and laughing at all my noobish assumptions. I didn't have a clue what she was on about, but her passion for the subject and the way it animated her was incredibly charming. We've been together ever since, going on a year and a half now.

The point I'm trying to get at is because she's so much different to me, she always brings an unexpected view point to every situation we encounter. Instead of having a female 'yes man' who shares all my interests, I have someone who is constantly urging me to try new things. Some of it fails ( I. cannot. stand. WoW.) and some of it works (Left 4 dead, zombie slaying awesomeness). And I do the same to her (Though I still have to bait her hooks for her when we go fishing).

WAYF

• Beyoncé

But, for now, I think this is appropriate.

YES.
VERY YES.

Oh, and of COURSE it was the hose. Silly me.
In any case, if she's putting it away (which is what she seems to be doing), it probably means Clinton's left.

Can I just say how much I admire Tai's single-mindedness? Sure, sometimes it's not a good idea to be this forward, but she has some serious guts for trying.

Hybredmoon

• Not quite a lurker

And, um, you're awfully involved in this thread for someone who has decided to stop reading...

That was said in a moment of terrible disappointment and I've already lost my resolve to stop (Besides, Jeph actually updates regularly, none of the other comics I read are half as considerate)

Edit: Oh and I agree with the consensus: Marten and Marigold is the silliest idea I've ever seen on these boards. You're not... trolling are you?  :angel:
No, it's a legit desire of mine. If I was trolling I would suggest Marten bolt that flesh light back on to pintsize and tell the rest of the cast to get bent.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

er. yay!

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

So Tai-rover has landed on Dora-mars. Let's see how the mission goes.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Dovius

Lol I like how people sign up just to complain about the comic.

I, on the other hand, registered just to say the following:

F*CK YEAH! Amen, hallelujah and peanut butter!

Hybredmoon

• Not quite a lurker

Amen, hallelujah and peanut butter!

Black lagoon reference, sweet! :lol:

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Careful now or you'll end up making this aaaaall too real to last... *sniff*

I'm so happy for Tai and Dora my heart skipped a beat when I saw the last panel.
I really gotta try that approach some time.
Also... where'd Tai's star tattoo go? Didn't it use to be on the right elbow?
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

foolsguinea

• Obscure cultural reference

Meh. I don't really like Tai that much, honestly.

Renewman

• Emoticontraindication

Not going to lie. I'm really not feeling this whole Tai/Dora thing. How can she go from not really knowing what she wants to do relationship wise with a date with Jim to just making out with Tai out of nowhere? I'm probably going to get hate for this but I really hope this ship sinks faster than the Titanic.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

It was a very moving speech, and maybe Dora just wanted to be convinced one way or the other.  Also, Tai is a lot less complicated than Jim, because she doesn't have a kid (although to be fair, she's practically a kid herself).

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Hazel Dean

I'm a pretty outgoing person, I like to ride my bike and fish and hike, I try to be as sociable as possible. My gf on the other hand is a computer gaming fanatic. She raids in Warcraft, and tried to teach me starcraft once but after my 6th consecutive loss to her I gave up being an actual player, now I just manage the base and build whatever little dudes she tells me too while she micro's the troops around the map when we do 2v2.  We actually met each other while I was trying to be a good wingman for a friend of mine. I was the double in a double date, so I'm sitting there trying to make polite conversation when I mentioned that my younger brother's birthday was coming up and I had no idea what to get him. She started talking about video games and it was like watching a painting come to life. Suddenly this wall flower was chatting, asking questions, and laughing at all my noobish assumptions. I didn't have a clue what she was on about, but her passion for the subject and the way it animated her was incredibly charming. We've been together ever since, going on a year and a half now.

The point I'm trying to get at is because she's so much different to me, she always brings an unexpected view point to every situation we encounter. Instead of having a female 'yes man' who shares all my interests, I have someone who is constantly urging me to try new things. Some of it fails ( I. cannot. stand. WoW.) and some of it works (Left 4 dead, zombie slaying awesomeness). And I do the same to her (Though I still have to bait her hooks for her when we go fishing).

Study after study shows this to be a myth. There are always exceptions, of course, which is to say that you and your girlfriend have every chance of a long and happy life together, and best wishes to you both. But I loathe when people try to lend legitimacy to this idea that it's a good thing to have little in common with a significant other, when in fact the opposite (ha!) is true.

Ethereal

• Not quite a lurker

Careful now or you'll end up making this aaaaall too real to last... *sniff*

I'm so happy for Tai and Dora my heart skipped a beat when I saw the last panel.
I really gotta try that approach some time.
Also... where'd Tai's star tattoo go? Didn't it use to be on the right elbow?

No, it's on her left.  You can see a bit of it in one panel.

misterlight

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Study after study shows this to be a myth. There are always exceptions, of course, which is to say that you and your girlfriend have every chance of a long and happy life together, and best wishes to you both. But I loathe when people try to lend legitimacy to this idea that it's a good thing to have little in common with a significant other, when in fact the opposite (ha!) is true.

What is the opposite of a man?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up