THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 23:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Programmers. Derp.  (Read 3846 times)

timmymyrs

• Not quite a lurker
Re: Programmers. Derp.
« on: 11 Aug 2012, 20:51 »

I learnt to program at university in 1966, using Algol 60, and studying numerical methods as part of the same course, using had-cranked mechanical calculators (you get a real feel for the cost of long division that way!).  On the same computer I then also used Fortran and K-autocode.  As an academic interest in hobby time I studied the evolving forms of CPL, PL/1 and Algol-68.  My first (temporary) job involved programming in machine code for the EELM KDF-9 computer, with some Algol-60 and Fortran on the side.

I then worked as a recording engineer at the BC for a couple of years.

Back in programming, it was straight into machine code for the PDP-8 and PDP-11.  Then I joined a software house, and had
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2012, 00:25 by pwhodges »

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2012, 20:53 »

a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

timmymyrs

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2012, 20:56 »

Ah, you have quite the resume there.
Aside from what I stated, I've messed around with PHP, am proficient in HTML, & -tried- to dabble in Actionscript.
Actionscript didn't work out too well.. :D

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2012, 20:59 »

I have dabbled with a number of languages where it did not work out.  Don't worry too much about it.

And it is "sir". 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

timmymyrs

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2012, 21:04 »

Yeah. I have a few on my list to attempt before I have my portfolio ready.
C++ & Java, mainly. & possibly F#.
Thanks for the future reference. :p

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2012, 22:39 »

I've had to use C++, and Fortran in the past. My "when all you have is a hammer" language used to be Python, but now it's Mathematica (Yes, you can write just about anything in Mathematica. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.)
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

timmymyrs

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #6 on: 11 Aug 2012, 22:46 »

Never hear of Fortran or Mathematica. ;-;
Python I've heard of, but never thought of using.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #7 on: 12 Aug 2012, 00:12 »

I learnt to program at university in 1966, using Algol 60, and studying numerical methods as part of the same course, using hand-cranked mechanical calculators (you get a real feel for the cost of long division that way!).  On the same computer I then also used Fortran and K-autocode.  As an academic interest in hobby time I studied the evolving forms of CPL, PL/1 and Algol-68.  My first (temporary) job involved programming in machine code for the EELM KDF-9 computer, with some Algol-60 and Fortran on the side.

I then worked as a recording engineer at the BBC for a couple of years.

Back in programming, it was straight into machine code for the PDP-8 and PDP-11.  Then I joined a software house, and had to do some Cobol, more machine code for a commercial-type computer, Coral-66, and then a project in which I used Algol-68 as a pseudo code (that was for predicting radio propagation using digitised maps - my company did the first map digitisation for the Ordnance Survey).  I then did an interesting job writing an engineering test program for mechanical testing of the Concorde airframe - this was written in Fortran; but it needed a plotter driver writing, so I did that in Algol, because that was the only way to avoid library re-entrancy issues (given that it had to operate on interrupt).  Then life got interesting; I wrote some control-store routines for three computers (essentially that's making new instructions for them), and had to design a hardware mod for one of them to make the result that was required possible with the hardware to hand.

That was about four years in the early 1970s; then I got involved with rescuing a failed project to write a system for real-time analysis of medical images (from a gamma-camera, specifically).  This kept me busy for the next ten years, including setting up my own company.  Underneath the image processing, displaying and printing programs, I rewrote from the ground up the operating system and Fortran compiler, and added a BCPL compiler, which language was my preferred one for the rest of the programming (BCPL was a cut down version of CPL, and then, via B, a precursor of C).  In 1978, 12 of the 13 gamma-camera computer systems sold in the UK were mine, and I subsequently sold some in the USA, Japan, South Africa, Australia, and several European countries.  I added 3-D image reconstruction like the EMIscanner (but using rotating gamma-cameras) to the system.

I worked for a while in the later 1980s for Norsk Data, which was at the time the second largest company in Norway.  For them I did Operating System support (which involved very low-level diagnosis and programming), and was third level support in the UK for their Codasyl database package (this was just as databases were starting to go relational - but the Codasyl scheme also had it advantages).  I wrote a BCPL compiler for the ND machines as well.  ND also had its own system programing language, based on Algol 68, called PLANC.  Oh, and I wrote ND's ICL mainframe communications package.

Into the 1990s, I was writing embedded code for weighing and sorting machines, mainly for use in the pharmaceutical industry.  These used the Z-8 processor (sic - not the Z-80, but a cut-down version of the Z-8000, with an on-chip basic interpretor).  There was also a dispensing control suite for pharmaceutical manufacturing, written in Modula-2.

After that I moved out into support and then systems administration, which is what I now do.  Scripting in more languages than I can recall, and a small amount of web site stuff; my websites are usually straight-up HTML, or using a JSP-based CMS called Magnolia - though I've also worked on a Zope/Plone website.

I use mainly Windows these days, though I use OpenBSD for my firewalls.  I was also for a time a Redhat accredited support engineer, but have never settled into using Linux.

I'm bored with writing, so the latter parts of that are decidedly thin.  Tough.
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2012, 02:41 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #8 on: 12 Aug 2012, 01:22 »

I have a few compilers/interpreters and I bash things. I use/have used Logo, VB.Net, Java, JavaScript, UnityScript, Lua. I probably use VB.Net and Lua most, mainly because I had to learn VB for a  college course and Lua is used in a game I mod/map for. I'm starting to use Unity3D more, so I'll have to get better at UnityScript or learn one of the other languages it accepts. I might switch to the UDK if it's any good.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #9 on: 12 Aug 2012, 02:29 »

I was taught Basic in high school and Pascal as an undergrad (both in the early 80s). In the 90s I did a lot of programming with Borland Pascal for my professional needs (a research mathematician) as well as for the shear enjoyment of game programming for DOS (at first for, and later together with my son). As programming was a dear hobby, and I had very little formal education in it, I have never really absorbed the event-driven approach of Windows (but am working on it occasionally).

At the end of the previous decade I worked for the R&D department of a largish cell phone company, and had to do quite a bit of stuff with Matlab (but I hated there way of doing computer algebra). Luckily they were quite accomodating in some respects, and let me do my own programming in FreePascal :-).

Nowadays my professional needs are mostly related to teaching at undergrad level, and Mathematica meets those needs well enough. For research needs I still use my own FreePascal code as the tasks that I need to get done are very specific, so I (as the sole user of the snippet I will be running) have the luxury of ignoring things like a user interface.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

timmymyrs

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #10 on: 12 Aug 2012, 17:47 »

Whoa. Reading your guys' stories made me realize I have a lot to learn. ;~;
I mean, I'm not oblivious to the fact that I'm ignorant, but I didn't think I'd have a decade or 2 to go.
I was just gonna stop after I learned C++, C#, XNA, Java, & PHP.
But holy hell. 20 years from now, those 5 will NOT cut it, it seems like.
Oh well. I appreciate the insight.~

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #11 on: 12 Aug 2012, 23:20 »

Never stop learning and adapting; that's the lesson I would pass on - and that's why (1) I enjoy the work I do, and (2) I can still work at an age when I'm expected to have stopped.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

timmymyrs

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #12 on: 13 Aug 2012, 02:12 »

Definitely. I don't think I'll ever stop.
I'm not the creative type, but I just enjoy doing what I do to the fullest.
I've been reading & applying nonstop for about 5 or 6 months, & I still can't fathom what I'll be able to do with 10 years worth of reading & practice.
It's something I'll make a career out of, no doubt about it. I've already resigned myself to anything else BUT programming. :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up