THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 17:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sleeping Dogs  (Read 4509 times)

ackblom12

Sleeping Dogs
« on: 14 Aug 2012, 04:40 »

The game just unlocked overnight and I've gotta say, it's pretty damn good. It kind of feels like what would happen if Rockstar would ever get around to fixing the gameplay problems in GTA. The melee combat is very reminiscent of Batman: Arkham Asylum in all the best ways. You aren't quite as much of a bad ass as Batman, but that's to be expected. Counters are more defensive than in AA and in general it just flows very very well. The parkour style ways of running around work really well with the flow of the game and driving is more arcadey than GTA, which is a huge boon as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not that far into the game, so I haven't had a chance to try everything out, but I'm really impressed with how well they've improved on the GTA style sandbox.

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier
  • Mellow Mind Mellow Life... Mellow Yellow
Re: Sleeping Dogs
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2012, 04:46 »

I haven't bought it myself, but i have watched a couple of videos on it now, including one by a reviewer called Totalbiscuit.

I do really like what they've done with it, it's fluid, fun, truthfully it reminds me of a mashup of GTA and Just cause, I probably will pick it up in the future if only to try it for myself.
"Coming out of my cage and i've been doing just fine"

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2012, 06:56 »

Saw that video as well. It looks like an excellent open world game in a setting that isn't terribly overused. I'm not wowed sufficiently to go out and buy it right away, but I'll certainly keep my eye on it.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

ackblom12

« Reply #3 on: 18 Aug 2012, 10:55 »

I bought it with Amazon credit to be fair, but this is the only GTA sandbox game I've played other than Saint's Row that I've found enjoyable after the first couple of hours. The game isn't as big as either, at least SR2, but I think the level of quality in what is there is just fantastic.

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
  • Liev Schreiber scares me
    • myspace!
« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2012, 19:20 »

This game is fuuuuuun. The hand-to-hand combat system I'm having a little trouble getting to grips with, the countering technique just feels a little off, timing wise. The free running is a nice touch and although the map isnt massive, there seems to be plenty in it to do. The XP and levelling system is confusing me a little bit (Face? What the fuck is Face?) but I'm only an hour or so in.

I watched a good review on youtube where they basically said it feels like GTA but everything is just a touch smoother, a touch more refined, and I have to say I agree. Combat doesnt feel like an after thought, driving is really nice and although I havent had a proper gun fight yet, what I've experienced (I picked up a gun from a lock box so took a couple of pot shots and tried the cover system out), seems like it'll be less confused than GTA.

Worth buying, I'd say.
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2012, 09:33 »

Just beat it. Fun game. I don't think I'll be playing it much now that it's over, but I enjoyed it.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ackblom12

« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2012, 10:57 »

Think of Face as your reputation for being a bad ass on the streets. You'll notice you get bonuses for doing environmental kills and just essentially being as intimidating and well off as possible.

I really think this game is kind of what I wanted GTA to be all the years of not enjoying GTA.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #7 on: 25 Aug 2012, 12:15 »

You didn't like GTA IV? I can't imagine why, this game is fun, but it's no GTA IV.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ackblom12

« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2012, 17:15 »

For me, Rockstar makes good games that manage to irritate the hell out of me with a lot of terrible gameplay choices. They're large sandbox games with great attention to detail and well done satirical writing , then a lot of irritating bullshit thrown in with dodgy game mechanics and gameplay.

RDR is probably one of the better games Rockstar has made, but even it I couldn't play through because it basically fixed nothing that I hated about GTA IV's gameplay.

Edit: this isn't even bringing the problems with the rather severe disconnect between GTA IV's story and gameplay.

Gregorio

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #9 on: 26 Aug 2012, 17:30 »

Edit: this isn't even bringing the problems with the rather severe disconnect between GTA IV's story and gameplay.
Niko: ALL DESE ESSHOLES HAVE NO SOULS.

As I'm driving around a goody two-shoes girl who doesn't mind me running over like twenty civilians and getting in a police chase on the way to our date.

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
« Reply #10 on: 27 Aug 2012, 23:42 »

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #11 on: 28 Aug 2012, 07:31 »

That's an interesting video, with one major problem...he goes from GTA: III straight to GTA: IV.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
« Reply #12 on: 29 Aug 2012, 23:37 »

Yeah, I also found that odd considering I felt San Andreas was possibly the best game in the entire series.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #13 on: 30 Aug 2012, 08:47 »

At the very least, the best game in the III trilogy, with considerable improvement from III.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: [1]   Go Up