THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Neil Armstrong has died at 82  (Read 5467 times)

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
Re: Neil Armstrong has died at 82
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2012, 12:44 »

A moment of silence. R.I.P.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier
  • Mellow Mind Mellow Life... Mellow Yellow
« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2012, 15:01 »

The man was great, and he shall be remembered everytime someone looks at the moon.
"Coming out of my cage and i've been doing just fine"

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2012, 15:01 »

Very sad. Loved Jeph's tweets about how to tribute him.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2012, 15:47 »

R.I.P

May your next step be the best giant leap you take.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2012, 12:24 »

The beautiful thing is, it isn't even a tragedy. Yeah, it's sad to see him go, but he did the most badass thing in human history. Guy truly won the game of Truth or Dare, and he got the high score.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #6 on: 26 Aug 2012, 16:17 »

The beautiful thing is, it isn't even a tragedy. Yeah, it's sad to see him go, but he did the most badass thing in human history. Guy truly won the game of Truth or Dare, and he got the high score.
What a great way to put it!

I have mixed memories. My first marriage had just ended. I was watching it at my house with a woman I had some lust for; every time she leaned forward I was looking at her bottom. That friendship never went anywhere. It was just as well. But I have clearer memories of that than what was unfolding on the screen in front of us. I was sort of a stupid shit at that moment.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #7 on: 26 Aug 2012, 16:38 »

Hey, if you look back at yourself and see a stupid shit, that means your life is going in the right direction. Neil Armstrong probably didn't look back at himself on the moon like that, but from there, there's nowhere to go but down. Although it's hard to worry about what to do with the rest of your life if you went to the freakin' moon.  He will be well remembered.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #8 on: 26 Aug 2012, 17:17 »

For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink.

:wink:

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #9 on: 26 Aug 2012, 18:04 »

Hey, if you look back at yourself and see a stupid shit, that means your life is going in the right direction. Neil Armstrong probably didn't look back at himself on the moon like that, but from there, there's nowhere to go but down. Although it's hard to worry about what to do with the rest of your life if you went to the freakin' moon.  He will be well remembered.

He became a professor of engineering. 

And he never considered it a step down...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #10 on: 26 Aug 2012, 21:14 »

That landing was really dicey. Thousands of people could have qualified for his position, but very few would have had the cold-blooded ballsiness to keep burning fuel to find a clear spot.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #11 on: 27 Aug 2012, 03:04 »

My first reaction when I read the news was shock, as in: "82? Wow, the moon landing was a long time ago, wasn't it?" And we've gone backwards in our ability to put stuff in space since then.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #12 on: 27 Aug 2012, 03:15 »

His colleague and friend Buzz Aldrin released a pretty sweet statement that you might find interessting.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/08/buzz-aldrins-statement-on-the-death-of-neil-armstrong/261578/

Also there´s appearently quite a lot of folks that  blame then president Richard Nixon personally for discontinuing the space-programm. There was a LEO space station planned and some other stuff that never got to be.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #13 on: 27 Aug 2012, 15:15 »

Curiously, there was a BBC radio news item this evening about how little interest Armstrong's death has raised in the US.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #14 on: 27 Aug 2012, 15:44 »

I raised a glass to him at the bar the other night and shouted above everyone, "EVERYBODY: To Neil Armstrong, rest in peace" and some chick a year younger than me said "Wait who" and I was like  :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #15 on: 27 Aug 2012, 16:36 »

That landing was really dicey. Thousands of people could have qualified for his position, but very few would have had the cold-blooded ballsiness to keep burning fuel to find a clear spot.
Yes indeed. I confess that I knew little about him apart from his career as an astronaut, and I've been reading around. A remarkable man in many ways.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #16 on: 27 Aug 2012, 18:01 »

Curiously, there was a BBC radio news item this evening about how little interest Armstrong's death has raised in the US.
Guilt, because we dropped the program? Preoccupation with other stuff, like politics?

JRDelirio

• Plantmonster
« Reply #17 on: 27 Aug 2012, 18:10 »

"I am, and will ever be, a white socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer" - Neil Armstrong

He knew that staying at NASA would mean being a figurehead behind a desk.  He was not just a hot Right Stuff flyer but also a gifted mind in his engineering field, so he switched to doing something of practical use:  teaching others.  Once in an interview mentioned that he felt someone should not be measured just by one big moment in the spotlight but by the sum of all that he did to get there and what he did with it afterwards.  Had the composure to realize that having worked and risked mightily as a part of the team for this achievement, he had the right to live life on his terms rather than be sucked into the celebrity spiral.  Very minimal appearances, only for causes or businesses that he believed in (e.g. when Chrysler needed its first bailout back in the late 70s), no autographs after a point, no reccommendations for people he did not really know.  But on his rare appearances always came across as a warm, modest person, with that quiet confidence that comes from knowing you don't need to prove anything to anyone.  Not  a ham like Buzz but not a recluse either.  Just a gentleman and a gentle man who believed that we have the ability to solve problems and achieve great goals if we put our minds to it.

Once when asked about walking on the moon he said that a pilot feels best when he's flying, not when he's walking; and that one thing he found remarkable was that he never dreamed about being on the Moon...  What need to dream, sir? 

@pwhodges: yes, others have commented on the quietness of the reaction, but looking at it, it just fits the man, doesn't it?   He achieved many great things, rejected the cult of celebrity and had a long, productive, good life well lived and was loved by those close to him and admired by the public to the end, and we knew his time was growing shorter already.  So like his crewmates we are sad he will not be there for the 50th anniversary or to congratulate the next human on another world, but we'll give that wink to the Moon in his memory.   

If people were rending their garments and pouring Tang on their hair in the middle of the street blocking traffic in Public Display of Grief that would be kind of unbecoming to his dignity.  Leave that sort of thing for tabloid-fodder princesses and Pop kings.  Our media has conditioned us to that.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #18 on: 27 Aug 2012, 19:53 »

"I am, and will ever be, a white socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer" - Neil Armstrong

He knew that staying at NASA would mean being a figurehead behind a desk.  He was not just a hot Right Stuff flyer but also a gifted mind in his engineering field

Well, let's be fair, when you're at the top of the Great Ziggurat, there really isn't any flying left to do until the next apeshit project comes along, and who's gonna come up with that project? The engineers.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #19 on: 27 Aug 2012, 21:49 »

One of the congressmen from Ohio (his home state) has called for a state funeral.  They're usually for presidents & a few generals, though - I don't think anyone else has ever had one here. 

And the family isn't interested. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Middle-of-the-Road Conservative
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #20 on: 27 Aug 2012, 22:33 »

If anybody deserves to be buried on the moon, it's him.
Voluntarily banned from DISCUSS.

Listen to my music. http://wolfgangruck.newgrounds.com/audio/

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #21 on: 28 Aug 2012, 00:19 »

One of the congressmen from Ohio (his home state) has called for a state funeral.
Yuri Gagarin received a state funeral, and Neil Armstrong deserves one at least as much, but perhaps it would indeed be too flashy for the man; too much about us, and not enough about him. Props as well as sympathy to the family.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #23 on: 26 Sep 2012, 14:46 »

I'd rather not, honestly.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.
Pages: [1]   Go Up