THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 18:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The BEST part of Tai & Dora's First Date?

The clothing mixup at the start.
- 4 (8.9%)
Memories of piercings past.
- 0 (0%)
MY PUSSY RULES!
- 9 (20%)
"Will Torrent For Cash"
- 2 (4.4%)
Supportive Parents for Tai
- 0 (0%)
"I don't care if you bring home a boy or a girl or whatever, those pants are RIDICULOUS."
- 5 (11.1%)
Catching your dad checking out your girlfriend.
- 0 (0%)
...He only goes for tall women! (MAYBE I'LL WEAR PLATFORMS)
- 7 (15.6%)
Herrell's for desert?
- 0 (0%)
...Uh, maybe Bubble Tea instead?
- 1 (2.2%)
Tai prefers Euro dubstep to "Skrillexy American Stuff"
- 2 (4.4%)
Right now you're just the sexy little redhead who works at the library.
- 0 (0%)
Fact: I apparently get super flustered when you call me sexy.
- 3 (6.7%)
The POW on her elbow - Nana nana nana nana nana nana nana nana BAT-MAAAANNNN!
- 2 (4.4%)
Em-POW-ering? (Oh god, the bad pun never occurred to her)
- 2 (4.4%)
Kiss and buttgrab!
- 7 (15.6%)
"How did we get here? Last thing I remember, we were having dinner."
- 1 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: WCDT: 2261-65 (27-31 August 2012) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 64850 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

So, here's your thread, boss.
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2012, 04:46 by jwhouk »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

TheEvilDog

I can see some words being said by Tai by the end of the week, and not necessarily kind words either.

Either that or Hannelore and Faye are following them, disguised as shrubbery, tiptoeing after Tai and Dora as they walk down the street (of course, Hanners' would be a highly realistic, self cleaning polymer designed by her father because its Hanners).

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

By the end of the week, the duo will be doing some serious revaluation.

Or go to the Goth Club.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Hanners sees them from afar and has a major squeeee reaction.  Her ovaries each pop out an unhaploidized oocyte and ends up pregnant with twins.

Hey, it could happen...

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Hanners sees them from afar and has a major squeeee reaction.  Her ovaries each pop out an unhaploidized oocyte and ends up pregnant with twins.

Hey, it could happen...

Goddammit, what was Hannerdad doing?

Renewman

• Emoticontraindication

Ha! I find it funny Jeph is now addressing the very thing we were all complaining about last week with Dora not knowing anything about Tai. I'm trying my best to keep a ho-hum attitude through this current arc but the whole Tai/Dora thing comes across very kitschy and forced at least imo.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

the more i look at it, the more ridiculous dora's shirt gets.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Dawwwww

Cute, bwushing widdle Tai   :-D

Dora, ya still got ot it would appear.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Goodness, it appears that Dora has recovered from her little slips of last week without dire consequences WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED.

Ha! I find it funny Jeph is now addressing the very thing we were all complaining about last week with Dora not knowing anything about Tai.

It would be pretty hard not to address - it's not like it's an obscure detail that Jeph hadn't though of. I'm sure he didn't bring it up today just to appease us.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

foolsguinea

• Obscure cultural reference

Uh, Jeph is going to fix the number at the top of the image, right? Because that was confusing.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Yeah, I can't be the only one who saw that, hit previous hoping for a double comic and was disappointed when I found out it was just a typo.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Wow... seems Dora wasn't as oblivious as we all thought she was...

... can someone check on Satan? I have a feeling he might be needing a VERY WARM winter coat sometime soon. °O
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.

Okay, so I'm actually finding this very interesting. Curiouser and curiouser, even.

Yeah, Tai isn't having the ideal time on this date; her image of Dora as sanctified, as inviolate small-business-owning super-hot goth Muse on a pedestal, is being shattered and the dust ground into sand, absolutely. Which is an Unpleasant Discovery, certainly, but we also learned that Dora is, in fact, quietly interested.

So what matters here is how Tai reacts. If she can't handle the dissolution of her illusions about Dora, she'll have to call off the whole idea of a relationship, epic kiss or no, though I think she'll handle it humanely (and all the more heartbreaking for it.) BUT, if she can get past that, and remain interested in Dora the human who inspired the muse, then this could be in it for the long haul. Blushing at being called sexy is a good sign.

Dora, on the other hand, is kind of working the Bianchi charm, at long last. I hope she's not planning to Sven this date, have it be a sex-and-then-drop type of thing; lust is totally a good basis to start a relationship, but it's not a foundation. Then again, she wants to get to know Tai. Good news, on that front.

I'm reminded of hodges' comment, that relationships are built on misunderstanding--I think, and it's borne true in my experience, that they're often built on surviving such. If that's the case, Dora and Tai could be looking at a long, long incumbency as a couple.

Finally, good job Tai, you like the right dubstep. You are an acceptable dubstep cultist. Skrillex is a prick, fuck that gargbage.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

WAYF

• Beyoncé

Smooth, Dora. :D

I feel like the quicker Tai gets over comparing herself to Marten, the better. The much, much better.

Compliment "sexy" apparently overrides insult "little", as well. :P
And redhead... technically neutral, probably a compliment.

Edit: Damn you homophones and homonyms! A compliment is quite different from a complement!
« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2012, 01:32 by WAYF »

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Finally, good job Tai, you like the right dubstep. You are an acceptable dubstep cultist. Skrillex is a prick, fuck that gargbage.

Oh damn, missed that gem. And it is totally thus.
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Tai was realistic about Dora having issues, given that everybody does.

She may be idealizing Dora as a father figure, though.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.

hehehe, I might be warming up to old Tora.

That was kind of a weird mix of sexy and endearing! YOu know, the good kind of weird :)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

A thought: Would it be weird if Dora WAS like Sven when it comes to girls? And Tai was her "Faye" moment?
Just another Joe like 46

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Better, Dora, much better. "Little" isn't so much of an insult for girls, and it's a bit too late for Tai to object.

I know it is wrong, but there is something about Sonny Moore that makes me want to hurt him. And brostep is pretty much a sucky thing.

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

VonKleist

@Akima

Yay, for digging that one up. Never fails to make me chuckle. "Ow, my cheekth" xD

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Oh dear. I knew which comic that was going to be before I even hovered over the link, maybe I need a break?

But since it's been brought up, is anyone else noticing the parallels between Dora's attitude then and now?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Tova

• coprophage

It's kind of interesting that Tai felt compelled to apologise for talking about something Marten might have talked about, even though it is such a big part of Tai's life.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller

Yeah, Tai isn't having the ideal time on this date; her image of Dora as sanctified, as inviolate small-business-owning super-hot goth Muse on a pedestal, is being shattered and the dust ground into sand, absolutely.

if i'm not mistaken, sand is typically much coarser than dust, consisting of much much larger particles. so shouldn't that be the other way around?

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

I don't know what bubble tea is, but it looks like pondwater with tadpoles.

VonKleist

That´s probably why they mostly sell it in non-transparent containers here.

Heh. Maybe you could sell Moet with Caviar in too rich folks.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Tai was realistic about Dora having issues, given that everybody does.

She may be idealizing Dora as a father figure, though.

Father figure? :psyduck:

At any rate, the foot in mouth is over so far (though Dora probably didn't realize at all what she said last strip).

Even natural with no screw ups, still looking too sisterly for me though.  Again, not sure if that will ever change.

And now that I think Dora is lying or anything, but how do strips and strips of cute little butch girl (who is not necessarily my type) go to sexy little redhead?  A kiss that suddenly changes your entire perception of a person?  Now that this needs to be discussed really.  But, it almost looking like Dora was going in to ruffle Tai's hair.  Tai AND Dora must take different meaning to hair ruffling...
« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2012, 05:15 by Madmartigan »

techkid

• Disqualified from the human race for shoving

Well, that seems to be a healthier turn...

Had to chuckle at Tai's "overheating problem" in the last panel as well (so flustered that steam started to form).
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller

I don't know what bubble tea is, but it looks like pondwater with tadpoles.

it's a sort of fruit juice/tea concoction which may or may not contain milk. the 'bubbles' at the bottom are little spherical bits of tapioca which give the drinker something to chew on and/or shoot from the straw like a blow gun. some places offer other options besides tapioca as well, including small bits of fruit. i recommend trying it some time if you get the chance.

Hinterfiend

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
Ugh
« Reply #28 on: 27 Aug 2012, 08:20 »

I'm waiting to see more of the other relationships.

"Yes, let's do talk about the man we both screwed over to get to this point. Me by being super insecure and neurotic through the whole relationship and now seeming to be over it all in just a matter of days. And you, his boss, who claimed to be a his friend but constantly harassed him about whether we were broken up, and once we were didn't even play it all off as jokes but rather JUMPED at the opportunity to hook up with me as SOON AS YOU WERE TOLD. Yep. his first real relationship in some time and I'm over it, but he's totally cool with us together, and aren't we just so cute in our quirky ways? We're totally not being dicks or anything." ~ Dora.

Boxilar

• Emoticontraindication
  • I have a hat

Several times folks have brought up the Faye/Sven parallels in the Dora/Tai dynamic. At this point, it's reminding me more of Marten/Dora/Faye, with Dora as Marten, Marten as Faye and Tai as Dora. The difference of course being that Marten and Dora were actually a couple and thier relationship is over. Still, Tai seems to be worrying about how she compares to Marten, either out of insecurity or a lingering sense of guilt.

It was still a cute strip, though.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce
Re: Ugh
« Reply #30 on: 27 Aug 2012, 10:03 »

I'm waiting to see more of the other relationships.

"Yes, let's do talk about the man we both screwed over to get to this point. Me by being super insecure and neurotic through the whole relationship and now seeming to be over it all in just a matter of days. And you, his boss, who claimed to be a his friend but constantly harassed him about whether we were broken up, and once we were didn't even play it all off as jokes but rather JUMPED at the opportunity to hook up with me as SOON AS YOU WERE TOLD. Yep. his first real relationship in some time and I'm over it, but he's totally cool with us together, and aren't we just so cute in our quirky ways? We're totally not being dicks or anything." ~ Dora.

Calm down.  It has been at least a month or two QC time...

Now, did I like seeing Tai's "not even bother to hide it" I wanna bone your girlfriend moments?  Nope.  Not particularly.  That's what has pretty always rubbed me the wrong way about her.  Even joking about it, which she wasn't, isn't cool.  She made no secret about what she wanted and I guess, if you took it to the extreme, she did jump on Dora as soon as it was pretty much over with Marten.  That's just poor planning on her part.

But be real.  Marten and Dora are both pretty much over it.  Does it suck it didn't work with Marten? Yea.  But QC isn't exactly or hasn't been a mainstay for solid relationships.  At least, between characters routinely in the story.  Marten/Dora is over though.  Both are over it.  Get over it.

And no, I don't particularly see this out of left field romantic attraction for Dora all of a sudden and I've and others, have beaten that story to death ad nauseam. 

However.  It remains quite awkward for them both to be talking about Marten.  Once again, this arc just feels weird. 
But again.  Dora/Marten are over.  They aren't being dicks.  They are just incredibly strange around each other.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

In reality, Tai respected the relationship.

I hope Tai is not just a rebound.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

ink slinger

• Obscure cultural reference

Geez, that's a surprising amount of talk about the ex on the first date! Of course, they're all a part of the same social group, so I guess it would almost be weirder if Marten's name didn't come up at least once or twice. (But only almost.)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

The Principle of Maximum Awkwardness would require it anyway.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.

A question for the archive-savvy: has any first date in QC ever gone well? I seem to recall Angus and Faye's first date having awkwardness all around, too.

I think mentioning Marten, especially casually and not obsessively, is actually good: they acknowledge the relationship without stressing over it. If it keeps coming up, weird, but this is pretty innocent.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

If you're talking about the date at the "little Italian place" in which F n A talked about their aspirations vs. reality, I thought that seemed like a nice little first date that strengthened any bond those two characters seemed to have. Faye's anxiety attack and the resulting underpants incident were later that night.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

Ladies, please stop talking about Marten. Thank you.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

And, as proof that we have a lot of closet country music fans in here, the results of our latest poll:

Date Week Two - And the Resolution will be?
Dora and Tai in bed!    2 (4.8%)
Hugs but no sex.    9 (21.4%)
Fast forward six weeks. No one will say ANYTHING about what happened.    1 (2.4%)
Not even Dora or Tai, who have suddenly disappeared from the strip.    0 (0%)
No one even acknowledges that either of them exist.    0 (0%)
They run off to New Hampshire and get married. The End.    0 (0%)
It ends. Badly.    4 (9.5%)
A week of all the other relationships in QC (Faye/Angus, Wil/Penelope, Steve/Cosette)    7 (16.7%)
Something happens to Hannelore. We all laugh, then d'awwww about it.    3 (7.1%)
MOAR PINTSIZE!!!!!11!!!!    0 (0%)
Something happens to Marigold. We all laugh.    3 (7.1%)
Mandatory Meme Option (Waffles, Spathe Ham, Banana Smoothies, etc.)    0 (0%)
We find out why Clinton is so scared of Claire!    2 (4.8%)
I'm just here for the party, and I ain't leavin' til they throw me out.    11 (26.2%) (Gretchen Wilson approves.)

Total Members Voted: 42
Just another Joe like 46

Mothykins

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Spotted Stegasaurothingy

Even natural with no screw ups, still looking too sisterly for me though.  Again, not sure if that will ever change.

And now that I think Dora is lying or anything, but how do strips and strips of cute little butch girl (who is not necessarily my type) go to sexy little redhead?  A kiss that suddenly changes your entire perception of a person?  Now that this needs to be discussed really.  But, it almost looking like Dora was going in to ruffle Tai's hair.  Tai AND Dora must take different meaning to hair ruffling...

Butbutbut hair ruffling is so cute~ You've gtta admit, it's absolutely adorable~ :3

I'd reply with all the scathing sarcasm I could muster, but Madmartigan said it better than I ever could, and I'm not enough of an archive ninja to find a strip that shows it's been far longer than a few days.

And, as proof that we have a lot of closet country music fans in here, the results of our latest poll:

Date Week Two - And the Resolution will be?
Dora and Tai in bed!    2 (4.8%)
Hugs but no sex.    9 (21.4%)
Fast forward six weeks. No one will say ANYTHING about what happened.    1 (2.4%)
Not even Dora or Tai, who have suddenly disappeared from the strip.    0 (0%)
No one even acknowledges that either of them exist.    0 (0%)
They run off to New Hampshire and get married. The End.    0 (0%)
It ends. Badly.    4 (9.5%)
A week of all the other relationships in QC (Faye/Angus, Wil/Penelope, Steve/Cosette)    7 (16.7%)
Something happens to Hannelore. We all laugh, then d'awwww about it.    3 (7.1%)
MOAR PINTSIZE!!!!!11!!!!    0 (0%)
Something happens to Marigold. We all laugh.    3 (7.1%)
Mandatory Meme Option (Waffles, Spathe Ham, Banana Smoothies, etc.)    0 (0%)
We find out why Clinton is so scared of Claire!    2 (4.8%)
I'm just here for the party, and I ain't leavin' til they throw me out.    11 (26.2%) (Gretchen Wilson approves.)

Total Members Voted: 42

That's a country song? :psyduck: I thought it was just the "IDK" option.
Be loud, be proud, and rejoice!

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Hair ruffling is cute.  If it is your grammy doing it.

From my experience, I always associate hair ruffling with indirect, usually unintentional condensation.  As if they're treating you like a kid.  I find it incredibly annoying when people do that.  I'm like, I'm in my bloody 20s dammit! :psyduck:

Which goes back to point of sisterly relations.  I still can't see beyond Dora's treatment of Tai as a cute little butch sister.  The sudden sexy redhead remark seems out of place from Dora. :-\

Mothykins

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Spotted Stegasaurothingy

From my experience, I always associate hair ruffling with indirect, usually unintentional condensation.  As if they're treating you like a kid.  I find it incredibly annoying when people do that.  I'm like, I'm in my bloody 20s dammit! :psyduck:

Which goes back to point of sisterly relations.  I still can't see beyond Dora's treatment of Tai as a cute little butch sister.  The sudden sexy redhead remark seems out of place from Dora. :-\

Aah. All right, I guess people associate things like that differently. I don't see much of a difference between hair ruffling, hair stroking, and the like. It all strikes me as cute and fairly intimate. But meh, that's just me.

Oh gosh. I just realized. If Jeph shows those two in post-coitus, it's gonna majorly squick out a good chunk of the readers, isn't it? "Cute little butch sister smexytimes" isn't what most people want to get out of a comic strip xD
Be loud, be proud, and rejoice!

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Ladies, please stop talking about Marten. Thank you.

Yes, please stop talking about Marten Lawrence. How that dude manages to keep getting movie roles is beyond me.

beanzilla

• Not quite a lurker

I'll be honest, thinking about condensation occurring because of hair-ruffling makes me feel kind of gross.   :psyduck:

But, assuming you were thinking of condescension, I would generally agree, but sometimes it can be used as an act of endearment.  :-P

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

My wife's hair would grow in curly after chemos. So did that of a woman I sang with. I enjoyed running my hand across the heads of both. Both accepted it as a loving gesture.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

From my experience, I always associate hair ruffling with indirect, usually unintentional condensation. 

Condescension n. 1. an act or instance of showing/implying a usually patronizing descent from dignity or superiority (condescending). 2. behavior that is patronizing or condescending. 3. voluntary assumption of equality with a person regarded as inferior.

---

Sorry, but after reading a few threads in different forums with spelling mistakes, this one just tripped my inner grammar nazi. I apologize.
Just another Joe like 46

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

I was aware of the spelling error, right when I stepped out the door and it annoyed me.  Then I went to the gym and forgot.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Hey, I Godwin'ed my own thread! Where's my "achievement unlocked" badge?  :psyduck:
Just another Joe like 46

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku

"Cute little butch sister smexytimes"
AUGH. AUGH. AUGH. MY BRAIN.

That is like the major issue I have with Tai/Dora. Dora doesn't seem sexually interested in Tai, so I didn't even think about that. AUGH. WHY does this feel so incestuous???
« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2012, 20:04 by LoliBot »
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

Tova

• coprophage

Congrats.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

"Cute little butch sister smexytimes"
AUGH. AUGH. AUGH. MY BRAIN.

That is like the major issue I have with Tai/Dora. Dora doesn't seem sexually interested in Tai, so I didn't even think about that. AUGH. WHY does this feel so incestuous???

Gonna feel so dirty when/if the smex strip happens. So very very dirty. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up