THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 06:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The BEST part of Tai & Dora's First Date?

The clothing mixup at the start.
- 4 (8.9%)
Memories of piercings past.
- 0 (0%)
MY PUSSY RULES!
- 9 (20%)
"Will Torrent For Cash"
- 2 (4.4%)
Supportive Parents for Tai
- 0 (0%)
"I don't care if you bring home a boy or a girl or whatever, those pants are RIDICULOUS."
- 5 (11.1%)
Catching your dad checking out your girlfriend.
- 0 (0%)
...He only goes for tall women! (MAYBE I'LL WEAR PLATFORMS)
- 7 (15.6%)
Herrell's for desert?
- 0 (0%)
...Uh, maybe Bubble Tea instead?
- 1 (2.2%)
Tai prefers Euro dubstep to "Skrillexy American Stuff"
- 2 (4.4%)
Right now you're just the sexy little redhead who works at the library.
- 0 (0%)
Fact: I apparently get super flustered when you call me sexy.
- 3 (6.7%)
The POW on her elbow - Nana nana nana nana nana nana nana nana BAT-MAAAANNNN!
- 2 (4.4%)
Em-POW-ering? (Oh god, the bad pun never occurred to her)
- 2 (4.4%)
Kiss and buttgrab!
- 7 (15.6%)
"How did we get here? Last thing I remember, we were having dinner."
- 1 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: WCDT: 2261-65 (27-31 August 2012) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 64832 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Ha, Pintsize in panel 3 is great.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Mothykins

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Spotted Stegasaurothingy

We need another "SEE? HE'S SERIOUSLY OK WITH IT PEOPLE!!!! GOD!" poll option this week ;P
Be loud, be proud, and rejoice!

Boxilar

• Emoticontraindication
  • I have a hat

Estimate incoming hyperventilating post by member with less than 10 posts declaring Faye and Angus "DONE!!!" In T minus 30...29...28...27,  :psyduck:

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

FAYA NAD AGNUG DONE FOR EVARRRR!!!!!!!1111111oneeleven
(Hehe... you guessed my posts wrong!)

Seriously, though. When did Marten switch to anime-face? (1st panel) °O
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

That's probably been added to 101 Uses For An AntroPC

Marten in a Nunnery

Parr for the course?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Ein bier, bitte!

Great name for a beer.

And I kinda feel bad that the forum watching has almost become as entertaining as the comic reading. Very negative space-ish.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

I'm trying to come up with something witty to say involving either Hamlet or Les Misérables, but all I can think of is Cosette digging up her "uncle" Fauchelevant's skull with a bell tied to it.  Does that count as witty?
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Is it a bad sign that the last panel brought up memories of "nunsploitation" flicks that used to show up on late night TV?
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Date Week Two - And the Resolution will be?

Dora and Tai in bed!    2 (4.3%)
Hugs but no sex.    12 (25.5%)
Fast forward six weeks. No one will say ANYTHING about what happened.    1 (2.1%)
Not even Dora or Tai, who have suddenly disappeared from the strip.    1 (2.1%)
No one even acknowledges that either of them exist.    1 (2.1%)
They run off to New Hampshire and get married. The End.    0 (0%)
It ends. Badly.    4 (8.5%)
A week of all the other relationships in QC (Faye/Angus, Wil/Penelope, Steve/Cosette)    7 (14.9%)
Something happens to Hannelore. We all laugh, then d'awwww about it.    3 (6.4%)
MOAR PINTSIZE!!!!!11!!!!    0 (0%)
Something happens to Marigold. We all laugh.    3 (6.4%)
Mandatory Meme Option (Waffles, Spathe Ham, Banana Smoothies, etc.)    0 (0%)
We find out why Clinton is so scared of Claire!    2 (4.3%)
I'm just here for the party, and I ain't leavin' til they throw me out.    11 (23.4%)  - See, I mention that it's a country music lyric and suddenly everyone stops voting for it.

Total Members Voted: 47
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

rcs

• Not quite a lurker

Yay for the puppy option. Marten needs a puppy. Just because PUPPIES! Seriously, though it's kind of surprising that only one character has a pet, not counting holoponies or bitey snakes. Momo would be an excellent puppy owner too. She's very conscientious and caring.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Pintsize would likely kill a puppy if Marten got one.  That, or try to transform it into a Chimera.

rcs

• Not quite a lurker

I don't think Pintsize is malicious or cruel, I think he just likes to push shock buttons. Has he ever harmed another living creature that we know of?

WAYF

• Beyoncé

People really are asking Marten if he's ok with it too much. I'm just glad he has some conviction behind it, otherwise he might have easily started second-guessing himself by now.

And if I recently reported a post, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to. I just wanted to click back into this window and I hit the report button. :(

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

I don't think Pintsize is malicious or cruel, I think he just likes to push shock buttons. Has he ever harmed another living creature that we know of?

Mieville established fairly quickly who was boss.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

Nice to see Angus, we haven't seen much of him lately.  It's fun to see Pintsize actually being kind of cute here, instead of his normal pain in the butt mode.

rcs

• Not quite a lurker

Ha, I forgot about that. But, Marten's reservations aside, do you think Pintsize would have harmed Mieville, or just tried to order him around like a servant? With a namesake like Mieville, it would be a mistake to take him too lightly.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

it's kind of surprising that only one character has a pet,

Two.  Dora and Sven both have cats.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

rcs

• Not quite a lurker

Ok, I forgot about that one too. I should know better than to rely on my memory at my age.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Marten does seem distracted, though.  I mean, using Pintsize as an endtable? 

The little guy's just not that stable...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Safe to say though if Marten hadn't had the bump in the hay too brief fling with Padma he'd probably have a problem with it.

I think he REALLY f-in liked Padma though.  That kinda quashed any lingering romantic pull for Dora.  Not that he couldn't feel it again. But for now it is gone and I dunno why forumites and QCities continue to question it.  Though I guess it IS reasonable for them to.  I think Faye really liked them together and really cares for Marten and that's why she keeps asking.

melstav

I think Faye's comment about moving to a nunnery is especially ironic, given that it was common slang in Elisabethan England for a brothel.

http://www.enotes.com/shakespeare-quotes/get-thee-nunn-ry

Vurogj

• Obscure cultural reference

I think Faye's comment about moving to a nunnery is especially ironic, given that it was common slang in Elisabethan England for a brothel.

http://www.enotes.com/shakespeare-quotes/get-thee-nunn-ry
Even more ironic given her ancestors' employment record? (Archive divers will know the strip I'm referring to and may even link if they are kind)

Mothykins

The "SEE? MARTEN'S SERIOUSLY OK WITH IT PEOPLE!!!! GOD!" one was horribly, horribly tempting. But I couldn't resist the callback to Pintsize's crash-and-burn relationship with Mr. Pink Robot :3

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

We know they're not called "Whitakers" for a reason, but she was told by her grandma about "Yankee seamen".
Just another Joe like 46

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

If Tai continues to compare herself to Marten, we might find ourselves in a repeat of the "I WILL NOT GROW A PENIS FOR YOU" incident.

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

WHY does this feel so incestuous???
It feels incestuous? Why? When was Dora Tai's guardian? I just don't see that at all.

Mothykins

WHY does this feel so incestuous???
It feels incestuous? Why? When was Dora Tai's guardian? I just don't see that at all.

Not guardian. Some people see more of a sisterly relationship between them than a romantic one. Sister-on-sister is incest.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Also, I don't think it was the kiss that changed Dora's mind about Tai, it was this - the blush likely meant to signal that.

WAYF

• Beyoncé

I don't see the incest either. Not only are they not actually related (which does tend to make a whole lot of difference when defining or identifying incest), but also it's not like Dora and Tai haven't flirted and cuddled a bit before.

On a related note, Twitter!:
Quote from: @albertkinng
@jephjacques are u going to turn your comic on a gay strip? I’m no homophobic but I wasn’t looking for that kind of comic. Don’t mess it up!

In the spirit of this, I would like to invite any fellow GWS fans to join me in boycotting that comic if, say, Zach's next relationship is heterosexual. Cause if depicting a single lesbian relationship as a main focus of the comic means that the comic is now entirely gay, then it must work the other way round too, and we need to stop Danielle Corsetto before she renounces the diversity of her characters' sexualities which has turned the comic from merely highly entertaining into culturally necessary! :P

(in my opinion)

(EDIT:- Ok evidently I don't follow GWS closely enough.)
« Last Edit: 28 Aug 2012, 22:59 by WAYF »

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Ha, I forgot about that. But, Marten's reservations aside, do you think Pintsize would have harmed Mieville, or just tried to order him around like a servant? With a namesake like Mieville, it would be a mistake to take him too lightly.

IIRC, Mieville actually "asserted his dominance" over Pintsize when they first met.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

@jephjacques are u going to turn your comic on a gay strip? I’m no homophobic but I wasn’t looking for that kind of comic. Don’t mess it up!
As a general rule, in all comments of the form: "I am not a <racist,sexist,homophobe etc.>, but <racist,sexist,homophobic etc. statement>", everything up to and including the word "but"  should be disregarded as bogus.

Faye would look very odd with a shaved head, and unless there is a shaolin-style martial-arts nunnery around, I don't think she has the vocation. Marten though... Yeah, I could buy him as a monastic.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

I don't see the incest either. Not only are they not actually related (which does tend to make a whole lot of difference when defining or identifying incest), but also it's not like Dora and Tai haven't flirted and cuddled a bit before.

That is not the point some of us are making.  They are clearly not related.  And it isn't that it appears "incestuous" as some put it.

The fact is that, from my general perspective and reading of the comic and understanding (however small compared to their creator) was that everything between Dora and Tai was sisterly.  Not from Tai's perspective, no.  However, everything I read from Dora seemed to be no real romantic or sexual interest.  It seemed far more platonic and sisterly.

Hence the "cute little butch girls aren't really my type" comment from a long while back, the sisterlyish head pats, etc.  As for the flirting.  I just took it as one of Dora's general quirks.  Again, I always saw it as Tai being the cute little butch sister Dora could bond with over their mutual interest in females as they are the only two introduced as mains that float that way.  I just cannot for the life of me see beyond that type of relationship right now and the lack of true chemistry I see.  All I've seen so far is Tai very smoothly flirting, pursuing, and lavishing attention on Dora and recognizing her successes, hence the blushing.

Hence why it'd be really strange and out there if we get the booty call strip.  But I guess different strokes for different folks.  Just can't buy their relationship.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

The term Faye used was "friendcestuous". You consider a person to be closer to a family member than you do a potential love interest.
Just another Joe like 46

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

In the spirit of this, I would like to invite any fellow GWS fans to join me in boycotting that comic if, say, Zack's next relationship is heterosexual ...

I trust I am correct in interpreting that as facetious.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

If they were serious they would've spelled Zach's name correctly.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

quix0te

• Emoticontraindication

Safe to say though if Marten hadn't had the bump in the hay too brief fling with Padma he'd probably have a problem with it.

I think he REALLY f-in liked Padma though.  That kinda quashed any lingering romantic pull for Dora.  Not that he couldn't feel it again. But for now it is gone and I dunno why forumites and QCities continue to question it.  Though I guess it IS reasonable for them to.  I think Faye really liked them together and really cares for Marten and that's why she keeps asking.
Speaking from experience, having an unsuccessful rebound relationship doesn't necessarily speed the recovery process.  Although, I've discovered I process breakups significantly differently than most people. 
Honestly, Marten can say "I'm fine with it" as often as he likes.  Maybe he is.  But saying it doesn't make it so. It might just mean he doesn't want to acknowledge it bothers him, for any number of possible reasons.

Mothykins

Honestly, Marten can say "I'm fine with it" as often as he likes.  It doesn't make it so. It just means he doesn't want to acknowledge it bothers him, for any number of possible reasons.

But, in the same vein, we can't be certain that he doesn't mean it. It's really a guessing game at this point. Until we get Word of God from Jeph, or something absolutely concrete from Marten, we can't know for sure whether he's honestly okay with it or not.

That's the beauty of it, though, isn't it? You can't know a QC character's true intentions much better than you can a real person's~

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Interlude - The most amusing reaction to Tai/Dora?

SEE? MARTEN'S SERIOUSLY OK WITH IT PEOPLE!!!! GOD!    7 (43.8%)
Angus is uncomfortable... in the pants.    3 (18.8%)
Faye, who is questioning Marten's reaction -and Angus's.    0 (0%)
Hannelore, who is still wondering what to do with the hose.    1 (6.3%)
Pintsize, who knows this sexy girl robot... or at least he THINKS she's a girl...    2 (12.5%)
Marigold, who's too busy fragging newbies in WOW.    0 (0%)
Tai, who is wondering where the barista babe version went.    0 (0%)
Dora, who is still floating oblivious above us all.    0 (0%)
Emily, who's still waiting for her banana smoothie.    1 (6.3%)
Claire, who's wondering when everyone finds out her little "secret"...    0 (0%)
Gabby, who's still having a bad hair day.    0 (0%)
Spaceship, who still can't find his virtual pants!    0 (0%)
Shelby, who likes to play in the rain.    1 (6.3%)
Roswell, who doesn't.    1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16
Just another Joe like 46

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

Again, though, I kind of get the feeling Angus is onto something.  Marten's hiding it, but as I've said, he definitely seems a little too interested in their date.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Again, though, I kind of get the feeling Angus is onto something.  Marten's hiding it, but as I've said, he definitely seems a little too interested in their date.

Just because you're interested in whats going on with other people's lives right this instance doesn't mean you have sinister motives for it.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

As a general rule, in all comments of the form: "I am not a <racist,sexist,homophobe etc.>, but <racist,sexist,homophobic etc. statement>", everything up to and including the word "but"  should be disregarded as bogus.
It's basically the equivalent of "no offense". When you hear it, you know someone's going to say something that might be pretty horrible, hoping their disclaimer makes it sound ok.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Mothykins

It's basically the equivalent of "no offense". When you hear it, you know someone's going to say something that might be pretty horrible, hoping their disclaimer makes it sound ok.

Also, "jk". For some reason, some people seem to assume that tacking "jk" on the end of extremely offensive posts negates the offensiveness. Idungeddit  :psyduck:

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Putting a smiley at the end of your sentence does the same thing. Works every time.

Also like those people who park blatantly illegally, and put their hazard lights on.

"Gonna give this clown a ticke- No, wait. Hazards. Carry on."
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.

Putting a smiley at the end of your sentence does the same thing. Works every time.

Also like those people who park blatantly illegally, and put their hazard lights on.

"Gonna give this clown a ticke- No, wait. Hazards. Carry on."

I was under the impression hazard lights are used in that situation so that it is clear to anyone approaching that the car is not moving, in case they weren't paying close attention and they're parked in, say, the middle of the lane.

That is the whole point of hazard lights, isn't it?
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

WAYF

• Beyoncé

If they were serious they would've spelled Zach's name correctly.

DAMNIT.
That'll teach me to rely on my overcrowded memory early in the morning.

But yes, I was being sarcastic.
I do think that GWS is a necessary part of our culture though. That part was serious.

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

Honestly, Marten can say "I'm fine with it" as often as he likes.  It doesn't make it so. It just means he doesn't want to acknowledge it bothers him, for any number of possible reasons.

But, in the same vein, we can't be certain that he doesn't mean it. It's really a guessing game at this point. Until we get Word of God from Jeph, or something absolutely concrete from Marten, we can't know for sure whether he's honestly okay with it or not.

That's the beauty of it, though, isn't it? You can't know a QC character's true intentions much better than you can a real person's~
I have to agree with you on that. I mean, can you honestly tell when a real person is masking their feelings towards something. I mean, a person can be frustrated to the point of tears, but still manage to put on a smile when they see friends or family. Pulling the old "just a bit tired" also helps.

Is Marten over Dora? Probably not. Is he happy that Dora is moving on in her love life? I'd say yes. Marten might not be happy that he and Dora are no longer together, but he's not yet been shown to be stupid enough to sabotage her relationship with Tai to "win her back" (I hate comparing a girl to a prize, but when you think about the sort of guy that would ruin a girl's love life in the hopes she'd come back to him, he totally would).

Hope Jeph doesn't have me eating those words...

Also, "jk". For some reason, some people seem to assume that tacking "jk" on the end of extremely offensive posts negates the offensiveness. Idungeddit  :psyduck:
You hear it a lot on talk-back radio (my dad's past 50, and slipped into "grandpa mode" already). Saying "I'm not [whatever group I'm about to slander]-ist, but..." translates directly to "I totally am, but I want to appear to be more opinionated by saying I'm not."

You either totally believe in the ideas of equality, or you might as well wrap it up with:

"I'm not Human-ist, but those goddamned humans are everywhere! Even on the Internet!"

Which, in the absolute sense, is also equality. :angel:
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

Wait wait wait. I have a question as to how to properly phrase what 'I'm not homophobic but...' guy might have been trying to say. If someone doesn't prefer to read about gay relationships and are hetero, that automatically makes them homophobic? I think there's a bit of a disconnect - I'm not sure it's really fair to label someone homophobic if they're accepting of homosexuality, but don't necessarily feel comfortable with displays or stories of such, be it irl or in media of some kind.

Sometimes things that are different from what people are used to do make people uncomfortable. It's not necessarily because they dislike said thing, or that they don't accept it.

EDIT: Take me, for instance. I have no issues with homosexuality, I want them to have the same rights as everyone else, the whole shebang. But when I pick up my romance novels, or read comics, or most anything else, I rarely get stories with gay pairings. I'm generally more comfortable reading about hetero relationships, and I assume it's because it's what I relate to most. That's not to say that I get upset or anything when it comes up, or that it makes me stop reading something just because it's present, and that not to say that I don't enjoy a good gay romance story. I just find that I have to be in a certain mood or mindset to actively hunt out said stories.

« Last Edit: 28 Aug 2012, 23:31 by Omega Entity »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

It's not politically correct to say so, but the Internet neighborhood really went downhill when the humans started moving in. Face it, they don't take care of their servers, they spew trash all over Usenet, and wherever you see a lot of humans there's a lot of crime.

Quote from: Akima
Faye would look very odd with a shaved head, and unless there is a shaolin-style martial-arts nunnery around, I don't think she has the vocation.

Warrior nuns are a fascinating idea. She did express interest in joining a beer-brewing order (389).

What did Twitter-guy mean about making it a "gay comic"? Does that mean a webcomic that falls in love with other webcomics of the same sex?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

EDIT: Take me, for instance. I have no issues with homosexuality, I want them to have the same rights as everyone else, the whole shebang. But when I pick up my romance novels, or read comics, or most anything else, I rarely get stories with gay pairings. I'm generally more comfortable reading about hetero relationships, and I assume it's because it's what I relate to most. That's not to say that I get upset or anything when it comes up, or that it makes me stop reading something just because it's present, and that not to say that I don't enjoy a good gay romance story. I just find that I have to be in a certain mood or mindset to actively hunt out said stories.

Don't fucking worry about it. You can be perfectly fine in one respect, yet be completely repulsed in another. How people see you however is a different matter entirely.

As someone told me once: Look at the Kink Community. The Kink Community has the worst juxtaposition out there: They are both tolerant and intolerant at the same time!!

Y

• Curry sauce

The difference is how much identify with the persons in the novel, if you read a book it might feel you're there. Depending how deep your imagination, you might even replace yourself with one of the persons. it might not be the same as going to the holodeck, but I heard people say it's some kind of hallucination like daydreams.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up