THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 03:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GIMP (2.8.2) is now available as a "native" OS/X app.  (Read 4036 times)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

It has, of course, been possible to run GIMP on a Mac for years by running it under X, but they've finally rolled out the "poor girl's Photoshop" as an OS/X app. I have no idea how many GIMPers hang out here, but if it is of interest, you can download the .dmg from here.

Edit: Woot! Pressure-sensitivity finally works properly on my tablet. That never was  GIMP problem, but one with Apple's X implementation, but it is nice to have it apparently fixed.
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2012, 02:08 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
Re: GIMP (2.8.2) is now available as a "native" OS/X app.
« Reply #1 on: 08 Sep 2012, 06:56 »

I GIMP, but mostly for cropping and sizing.  The GNU/Linux version is what I use.  I like it very much.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #2 on: 08 Sep 2012, 08:08 »

I'd thought of GIMP as a printer driver thing, maybe confusing it with CUPS, and didn't know its photo manipulation functions. I used Photoshop years ago, but use Elements sometimes, Graphic Converter more often, but neither very much. And I'm no expert and don't especially need to be.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2012, 05:35 »

I use Paint.net. It serves me well ... combined with Microsoft paint ...

What are the benefits of GIMP? I came across a tutorial once that used GIMP to create stencils for Grafitti and that is of some interest to me but other than that? Have I missed something?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2012, 10:26 »

It's essentially the poor-man's Photoshop, as I understand it. I think I have it downloaded somewhere, but  I haven't tried it out yet.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #5 on: 12 Sep 2012, 17:53 »

What are the benefits of GIMP? I came across a tutorial once that used GIMP to create stencils for Grafitti and that is of some interest to me but other than that? Have I missed something?
GIMP is a very powerful multi-platform image-manipulation tool, and it is free. It is also very, very extendable and customisable with its hooks for various programming languages. Like many other free tools (Blender for example) learning to use it can be a challenge, because documentation can be a bit spotty. If you just want to touch up your holiday snaps, there are probably better choices than GIMP or Photoshop. On the other hand, I am no sort of artist, but I used GIMP to create some fanart.

I've been using the OS/X native version of GIMP for a couple of weeks now. The "official build" I linked above is... OK. The developers have a lot to learn about how Mac software is supposed to work, and there are some significant user-interface problems. However, this build seems to have fixed them. Incidentally, if you do download the Lisanet build, and you are still running OS10.6.n or OS10.7.n, ignore the warning in the readme file in the distribution for those OS levels about needing OS10.8. This is obviously someone confusing Darwin 10.8 (which comes with OS10.6.n) with OS10.8 (which ships with Darwin 12.0). I have run across this confusion in several places recently.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #6 on: 13 Sep 2012, 12:58 »

Hey! A Yoko Tsuno thingy. Nice.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up