THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Borderlands 2  (Read 16323 times)

ackblom12

Borderlands 2
« on: 17 Sep 2012, 00:30 »

So this is unlocking on Steam tonight at Midnight, anyone else up for some multi? Hit me up on Steam, I'm "ackblom12".

What is everyone looking at as far as classes go? Mechromancer kind of seems like it's right up my alley, but it's not out until October, and all 4 of the main classes look equally appealing to myself. The Gunzerker might just be ridiculous enough to win me over though.

Also, why not. Here are the best trailers they've released for it.

« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2012, 04:19 by ackblom12 »

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
Re: Borderlands 2
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2012, 01:26 »

btw, if anyone wants a preorder while they're still fresh, somebody stood me up on a 4-pack, so if you're up for it, give me a PM! It'll probably only be cheaper if you live in Europe, though.

This is going to be AWESOME.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

ackblom12

« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2012, 03:57 »

How can a game that includes actual Meat Shields not be awesome?

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2012, 05:16 »

The boy is getting this since for Xbox and since they've added split screens, this means I get to play too! Michael is most likely going to play the assassin and one of his friends the gunserker (who has a talent named Come At Me Bro, lols), so I'm most likely going to play the siren until the mechromancer comes out. I'm terrible at shooting, so I'd be better in a support role anyways. Also hey, I could shoot people to heal them!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

ackblom12

« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2012, 05:55 »

So, this is a really good game.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2012, 08:12 »

I think it's getting picked up today on the way home from work. So it's probably gonna get played tonight.

Gregorio

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2012, 21:47 »

There was a mix-up, and while I bought the PS3 version, someone got the 360 version for me as a gift. If anyone has it for 360, hit me up for a game. My tag is The Ghost Cook.

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku
« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2012, 21:58 »

My best friend got me to go with him to Wal-Mart today to go get it. :-D I've played a bit of the first one before, but then his Xbox munched the disc, so I am woefully unaware of a lot. But we started playing tonight for about an hour and a half, and it was really fun. I still suck hardcore with Xbox controllers. But it's fun so far. :) And I CANNOT wait to play as this lady: http://www.giantbomb.com/ellie/94-23816/
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #8 on: 19 Sep 2012, 09:51 »

I didn't play (had homework), but I watched Michael play with one of his friends online and it looked like a lot of fun. But apparently if I want to play with the both of them, I need an Xbox live account. MEH. I was hoping to avoid that...

And apparently their server crashed while I was making an account. Joy.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #9 on: 19 Sep 2012, 14:12 »

And I CANNOT wait to play as this lady: http://www.giantbomb.com/ellie/94-23816/

She's an NPC, I believe.

Also, I could have sworn the first game also had split screen.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #10 on: 19 Sep 2012, 14:16 »

Excuse me, brutish mechanic. Yes, you. I have a question. Is it that your body is too massive for your teeny-tiny head or is it that your head is too teeny-tiny for your big, fat body?!
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #11 on: 20 Sep 2012, 14:48 »

And I CANNOT wait to play as this lady: http://www.giantbomb.com/ellie/94-23816/

She's an NPC, I believe.

Also, I could have sworn the first game also had split screen.
NO. NO. NO. UGH. She was the main reason I was looking forward to playing. :( :( She's so cool. :(

It does. :)

And Pilchard123, I hope I am not the only who gets the reference. :-D

Formerly LoliButt.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #12 on: 20 Sep 2012, 15:03 »

The one you were thinking of is probably the Mechromancer, who won't be released until... i think early October? Se below:

There is, however, some flexibility in how she looks - I've seen more than one image of her looking like a creepy little girl.

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier
  • Mellow Mind Mellow Life... Mellow Yellow
« Reply #13 on: 21 Sep 2012, 02:09 »

I don't get the appeal of this game, I played it and honestly can barely tell the differences between it and the first game.
"Coming out of my cage and i've been doing just fine"

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #14 on: 21 Sep 2012, 18:08 »

The one you were thinking of is probably the Mechromancer, who won't be released until... i think early October? Se below:

There is, however, some flexibility in how she looks - I've seen more than one image of her looking like a creepy little girl.
No, I saw a picture of Ellie and knew she'd be awesome. :P I heard she's going to be downloadable in a few days.

But that girl looks cool, too!

Abyssalin: I haven't played much of the first, so this one is fun enough for me. :)

Formerly LoliButt.

ackblom12

« Reply #15 on: 22 Sep 2012, 12:44 »

Man, Clap Trap's birthday party. The saddest thing.

Gregorio

« Reply #16 on: 23 Sep 2012, 01:07 »

I was seriously expecting a cheery note at the end, but it never came.

Anyhow, the slot machines break the shit out of the game. On my first spat with them, I got an infinite ammo gatling pistol which made the dam mission a cakewalk. Now I have a corrosive shotgun that can two shot most things my level (not even counting corrosive DoT). The game is obviously meant to be multiplayer, since that's where the difficulty ramps up. Playing through Fink's arena with three friends is easily one of my most memorable gaming moments, though.

ackblom12

« Reply #17 on: 25 Sep 2012, 10:24 »

Ah,see they haven't given me anything of use with the exception of skins and eridium. All of the guns and shields have gone straight to the trash and I've slotted a hell of a lot.

Gregorio

« Reply #18 on: 25 Sep 2012, 22:21 »

I think I may have just gotten lucky the first time around. I'd pretty much just run both slots in Moxxi's at the same time, and ended up with a crapload of eridium and that infinite pistol (which acts as my healing gun in co-op, since I have that "shoot to heal" siren skill). If I do get weapons now, I typically get three cherries, giving me some kind of sniper rifle (which I don't use). I'll occasionally get a corrosive/fire SMG to replace my old one, which is nice.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #19 on: 27 Sep 2012, 15:57 »

Just attended it. I think they were going for the funny, but now I just feel down and had to stop playing.

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #20 on: 30 Sep 2012, 16:00 »

After playing through the main plot I'm a little surprised because I found myself a little more emotionally invested at certain parts then I expected to.  I don't know if it's because the bar was set a little low due to tone the game normally takes, but I think they did a pretty good job with some of the characters.
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #21 on: 01 Oct 2012, 02:25 »

Yeah, there's some surprisingly dark things and themes beneath all of the colorful violence. At one point I took a step back and realized that I was helping a twelve year old torturing her parent's killer to death, and realized that the whole thing was quite beautifully horrible. It's a subtle story of death and destruction hidden beneath... well, death and destruction, but the colorful and careless kind.|

ackblom12

« Reply #22 on: 01 Oct 2012, 02:48 »

Mordichai's character is another one that I think is wonderfully dark beneath it all. While he's funny and always drunk, when you think about it, he's seriously just a ridiculously self destructive alcoholic who has lost most of the important things in his life to the drink. The only thing he's even barely holding onto is the companionship of Bloodwing and aiding in the downfall of Handsome Jack.

I'm incredibly impressed with how well they've handled the narrative in this game, especially considering how non existent it was in the first.

ackblom12

« Reply #23 on: 01 Oct 2012, 03:50 »

Oh god, I just found a heart wrenching ECHO recording of Tina watching her parent's die.

Gregorio

« Reply #24 on: 01 Oct 2012, 11:48 »

It seems like Gearbox's games have evolved over time to have the best voice acting in the industry. Brothers in Arms 3 was the first time I've seen voice actors in games exhibit a wide range of emotions without sounding ridiculous, and I'd put Borderlands 2 up as the best voice-acting in gaming history. The writing is also great. It keeps this nice balance of rewarding the player's successes, while also showing off Jack's power, and keeping a good flow of funny versus serious without too many characterization inconsistencies.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #25 on: 02 Oct 2012, 18:54 »

"And tell Scooter to stop setting my customers on fire! I can take care of myself!"

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #26 on: 04 Oct 2012, 09:24 »

heheeee! I just found the reference to that other game, *! Really funny, sadly I had seen it in a post somewhere. It would've been so great if I hadn't known. If anyone is wondering, it's in the Caustic Caverns.

(click to show/hide)

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
  • Liev Schreiber scares me
    • myspace!
« Reply #27 on: 04 Oct 2012, 15:58 »

This game is SO FUCKING FUN.

I never played the first one, but I am enjoying this one a whole lot. The story line is okay, I don't feel particularly invested in it and although the characters are hilarious I don't particularly empathise with any of them and OH WAIT I DON'T CARE BECAUSE I JUST SHOT THAT GUYS FACE OFF WITH AN EXPLODING BULLET.

I haven't had this much fun with a shoot'em up since Bulletstorm.
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

ackblom12

« Reply #28 on: 07 Oct 2012, 22:03 »

Just completed the main story with Maya. Looking back on the game, I'm more and more impressed with how well done the writing in this game was and how it handled certain subject matters.

I mean, within a 2 hour period, 3 things happen.

(click to show/hide)

This isn't even going more into detail about the more serious story events like Snalin and I mentioned earlier.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #29 on: 08 Oct 2012, 01:40 »

"Do you know what's even better than having a working shield? NOT BEING A WOMAN! HAHAHAHA!"

Thanks, Dave.

ackblom12

« Reply #30 on: 08 Oct 2012, 09:07 »

The most satisfying quest resolution I've ever encountered.

ackblom12

« Reply #31 on: 08 Oct 2012, 18:56 »

Mechromancer Skill Tree is available. It has the silliest fucking skill trees and I think I'm in love.

Also, her first ECHO log

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #32 on: 09 Oct 2012, 17:04 »

I don't think they could have packed more My Little Pony references in that skill tree if they tried.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #33 on: 09 Oct 2012, 19:17 »

So I've been watching more than playing (I can't get used to the controls), but Tiny Tina is one of my favorites yet. She's completely batshit and hilarious.

"That's Mushy Snugglebites' badonkadonk. She's my main squeeze. Lady's got a gut fulla' dynamite and a booty like POOOW!"

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #34 on: 13 Oct 2012, 11:41 »

Cracked.com did an article on Borderlands 2, and while I haven't played it, I can certainly agree with some of the discussion about human psychology, and more specifically, RPG players' mentality, in regards to opening chests.

It was entertaining.

8-)
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Majicou83

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #35 on: 01 Nov 2012, 13:51 »

I'm also a fan of the shift codes they give out over Facebook. The last few weeks have given out several golden keys and bee themed character skins for Halloween. It's nice they're not just leaving the game in the dust after release. (Level 14 Zer0) I still hate vehicle combat. :\

Dorkus

• Not quite a lurker
  • Missing some marbles
« Reply #36 on: 10 Nov 2012, 12:02 »

This murder simulator is a lot of fucking fun, but I'm already hitting that burnout stage, running PT 2 with a lvl 41 Gunzerker, dying constantly, and now trying to level up my Assassin (24).  Grindgrindgrindgrindgrind..
'Nerdy Twit' is an anagram for 'Trendy Wit'

He that goes to bed the same day he woke up is a quitter.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #37 on: 25 Aug 2013, 22:04 »

Okay, so I skimmed the thread but I saw some spoilery territory, so just skipping down.

Been playing this lately, solo because I like to be able to really savor a game before I ruin it / cook it differently / whatever with multiplayer.

I solo'd the first game, and *mostly* enjoyed it, but definitely didn't give a damn about this one, assuming it was going to be a lot more like the first. But in here the worldbuilding is...actually existent, the characterization so far is leagues beyond anything 1 thought of doing, the enemies and environments are blessedly more varied, and it has *an actually engaging antagonist*.

(click to show/hide)

Anyway, nothing you don't already know probably. But yay! Always happy to see actually *important* improvements in these sorts of things.

ackblom12

« Reply #38 on: 25 Aug 2013, 22:13 »

It really is just so much more fun than the first. Other than the obvious existence of strong writing, the classes also feel a lot more enjoyable. The Siren is my favorite character by a long shot.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #39 on: 26 Aug 2013, 07:48 »

I didn't get past the first town in the first Borderlands, which made me pretty spectacle of Borderlands 2 all together. But after biting the bullet and getting the game at discount I really loved it. I especially love playing it with my friends and just having an all around good time in the world.

Stybar

• Emoticontraindication
  • YAAAAAAY!
« Reply #40 on: 26 Aug 2013, 09:16 »

Borderlands 1 doesn't get good until you've reached the Dahl headlands. After that, it gets insanely good, right up to the ending (which sucks)
No, I do not give out free kisses. Gross.

ackblom12

« Reply #41 on: 26 Aug 2013, 12:44 »

Inclusivity

This is a great little blog entry from Anthony Burch about inclusivity in games. It's a really good read and it gives me a lot of hope for Gearboxes future games, especially anything Burch is writing for. The dude is trying and that's great.

Stybar

• Emoticontraindication
  • YAAAAAAY!
« Reply #42 on: 26 Aug 2013, 15:29 »

The dude IS great. I love the small, sarcastic remarks some of the characters made. Like the reaction you get when you shoot Shooty McFace in the face: "THANK YOU" made me laugh harder than the actual shooting. Not to mention the entire Tiny Tina Dragon's Keep DLC. That shit was hilarious.

ackblom12

« Reply #43 on: 26 Aug 2013, 15:32 »

I WANT A GUN THAT SHOOTS SWORDS THAT EXPLODE! AND THE EXPLOSION MAKES THREE MORE SWORDS! WHICH EXPLODE! MAKE IT HAPPEN TINA!

Stybar

• Emoticontraindication
  • YAAAAAAY!
« Reply #44 on: 27 Aug 2013, 02:36 »

Not Torgue, but another quote I enjoyed:
"My mummy and uncle are only close friends!"
If you know what I'm talking about, you know it's hilarious. If you don't, go check with Roland.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #45 on: 17 Sep 2013, 21:47 »

Still (slowly) working my way through.

Fucking Goliaths and Lab Rats, man. That shit bothers me. Part body horror, part WTF HAPPENED HERE GUYS?

One half-cheatery thing the game does that I think is mostly neat, is where it doesn't actually really tell or show you much of how things got to where they are. I mean there are implications, extrapolations, some occasional actual telling, but I feel like there's several things I'd like to know that it's not going to tell me. Like the Lab Rats. Or the Fridge.

It's not a trick that you can always depend on, because hit it too much or too hard and you get a bunch of half-disjointed shit, like the first one's more obnoxious examples.

(click to show/hide)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #46 on: 21 Sep 2013, 16:27 »

picked it back up today.  Just hit chpt 9.  Makes you feel like a badass at times.  Still tough at times but now that I found me a nice rocket launchers those constructors arn't so bad.  Also tiny tina's pink gun is awesome.  Anything hyperion sends my way gets wasted by it. Wonder if its easier or harder with a battle-buddy.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #47 on: 22 Sep 2013, 08:43 »

Has anyone tried to Digistruct Peak Challenge? I completed the first part of the mission but I've yet to go into the arenas.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #48 on: 04 Oct 2013, 18:56 »

Still playing Borderlands 2? You could win some cash/prizes, all the while getting loot.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #49 on: 06 Oct 2013, 10:46 »

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up