THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 22:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Torchlight II  (Read 9491 times)

ackblom12

Torchlight II
« on: 22 Sep 2012, 10:10 »

So who else has gotten it thus far and what class(es) are you messing around with? I started out with a 2h Engineer and then suddenly realized I could be running around with a giant fucking cannon and re-rolled. I don't know if I can really explain how much fun it is to run around with what a fucking CANNON.

Personally, I'm feeling like Torchlight II has kind of hit a lot of the itch that I was missing from Diablo III. There are a ridiculous number of build options for each class, especialy the Engineer, the loot drop rate seems like it's just about perfect and the game is just ridiculously charming and fun. I quite enjoyed D3, but the more I played it the more I thought something just wasn't right. I liked a lot of the changes they made, but some of them, like the AH, just kind of ruined the long term feel of the game for me.

Also, we can start up a username listing here for friend requests.

Usernames:
ackblom12

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
Re: Torchlight II
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2012, 10:29 »

Gotta have to wait until I'm through with Borderlands 2, but the game is sitting there from the preorder, looking pretty damn sexy. How's the gameplay compared to the original? I replayed it recently, and at one point stuff got kinda repetitive since you were only using 2 or 3 skills - investing in several meant that none of them were really powerful. Has that changed?
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

ackblom12

« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2012, 11:02 »

Kind of, but not really. I'm finding it's a lot better to spread the points around in manually activated skills, while focusing on maxing one or two at a time. For the Engineer it actually gets a little tricky cause there are about 6 passive skills for melee I'm trying to juggle while also trying to keep some of the skills up to date. For the most part though, they all start off powerful enough initially and grow slowly enough that it's not a big deal to not bother putting points into them until you've got your primary skills up to their current max.

The rest of the gameplay is just... so much better. It really makes Torchlight 1 look like a beta in comparison. I'd recommend starting on Veteran difficulty though. Normal is still piss easy.

Actually, I do have one big complaint, and that is how they implemented respecing. All you can do is buy back your last 3 skill points. It's the most half assed implementation they could possibly muster. It's not as bad as the beta, where you could get all of them back, but you permanently lost skill points every time you did it, but it's still shitty. I've seen the interviews and such that they explain why they didn't want to include respecing at all, and I realize it'll be modded in rather quickly, but this just feels fucking lazy and spiteful.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2012, 03:35 »

Yeah, in the first game they made a respecing item, but kept it out of the game, so you had to mod it back in again. It cost crazy amounts too. I don't get it, whatever reason would they have to not want to allow you to respec at will?

ackblom12

« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2012, 03:38 »

Because as good as they are at game design, they are essentially old school grognards.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2012, 05:04 »

Playing while my Borderlands partner is off doing pandas or something. This is crazy fun! No respecing sucks balls (you started out using two pistols, but found a good canon? Sorry, your old skill points are now worthless!), but otherwise the flow of the gameplay is magnificent.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #6 on: 26 Sep 2012, 10:44 »

Has anyone else found any of the hidden stuff? In a bunch of the dungeons there are secret things that's not quite obvious - like in the (first?) slaver cave, where you can find some liquid that goes into a bucket to produce treasure. Neither the bucket nor the green liquid shows item names, so you don't find them unless you mouse over them. I just found a quest in kinda the same way, by shooting some gongs.

ackblom12

« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2012, 11:45 »

I was actually not aware of that kind of shenanigans at all. Fuuuuuuuuuck!

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #8 on: 26 Sep 2012, 11:52 »

They stuff that you can interact with usually sparks a bit, but otherwise there's no indication of anything going on. The gong one I found because there was a chest behind a fence which I couldn't get to, and started looking around.

ackblom12

« Reply #9 on: 26 Sep 2012, 13:26 »

Christ, I hate how this happens with ever single RPG ever for me. I have 4 different characters going right now. A Engineer that shoots things in the face with a cannon, a Engineer that smashes things in the face with 2H weapons, a Tundra Beserker that smashes things in the face with his fists and a Outlander training as a Witchomancer, dual wielding poison wands and summoning Darklings from the Nether. I just realized I'm leveling them all damn near equally. I need to focus a bit more here. Can't wait for the modding toolkit and a respec mod.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #10 on: 26 Sep 2012, 20:41 »

I've been playing a berserker character as my single player character and leaving my outlander as a multi thing.
The berserker is stupid fun. OH WHATS THAT I GAIN LIFE WHEN I CRIT? OH I GAIN LIFE WHEN I USE WOLF CHARGE ATTACK? OH I GET AUTOCRITS AFTER CHARGING UP?!?!?
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #11 on: 28 Sep 2012, 00:38 »

I am tearing it up with this berserker. Weapon speeds are .47 and .39 and I deal approx 250 damage per second before any of my crits or passive skills. Oh I also have a 28% chance to crit.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #12 on: 28 Sep 2012, 03:44 »

got a gun with +25% chance to execute. Now I shoot two guns almost all the time. I need to find a second gun that has the same buff, it's crazy damage.

That's what's great about the stats system here. You can do a lot of really cool things. Combining high dex with high weapon speed gives a lot of crits, while combining two weapons and focus makes you a total badass killer. Which means that you can have berserker character without having to focus on strength, which makes the stats actually interesting, compared to games where you give the melee character the strength, the bow character the dex, and the mage character the intelligence.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #13 on: 28 Sep 2012, 21:42 »

Gettin one hit killed isn't my idea of fun. I don't know how I did it, but I managed to get myself to be at least -1 level to the areas I need to be in even though I am just going through and completing stuff and exploring all of the map areas I can.
Pages: [1]   Go Up