Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And The MOMENT OF THE WEEK was?

Marigold's OOPS!
- 0 (0%)
The entire internet is mad at me!
- 1 (2.2%)
Only one thing to do: Cat GIFs? LOTS of Cat GIFs.
- 2 (4.4%)
Here, Marten! Open it and see! Tee hee!
- 1 (2.2%)
Oh, hey, Emily invited you too!
- 0 (0%)
Yeah, what'd you think it was, a love letter?
- 0 (0%)
OH MY GOD YOU ARE PRECIOUS (Sh-shut up! Shut it all the way up!)
- 10 (22.2%)
Party at Emily Azuma's parent's lake house! (And Cristi's handwriting!)
- 2 (4.4%)
You should invite all your friends, too! There's plenty of room!
- 0 (0%)
A thousand people would probably be too many. (How big is your parents' lake house?)
- 0 (0%)
Faye with the watiress outfit - "Hey, Buttass, what's up?"
- 2 (4.4%)
Emily the intern is throwing a party, wanna come?
- 0 (0%)
Dora: Am I invited? Marten: Oh yeah, def- (Tai: AAH! AAAAH!)
- 1 (2.2%)
Tai: One of my interns is throwing a party. Wanna come?
- 1 (2.2%)
Marigold walks by. (DAT A$$)
- 15 (33.3%)
Angus gets caught "peeking"
- 3 (6.7%)
GIBBS-SMACK!
- 5 (11.1%)
What was that? NOTHING!
- 2 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2286-90 (1-5 October 2012) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 70920 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

And we start things off for a new month with a new poll!

It's also the last week of my 44th year on this planet. YAY!
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

PthariensFlame

• Larger than most fish
  • I ♥ van Laarhoven lenticuloid families!
    • Chirex Formens/Chirex Ialtens

Or, as my mother would say, you're halfway to 90.
Quote from: Anne McCaffrey
Honor those the dragons heed
In thought and favor, word and deed.
Worlds are lost or worlds are saved
From those dangers dragon-braved.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Wait, you said you were turning square. 45 is not a square!
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

They do own their own bodies. There was a Q&A on Tumblr  that mentioned this. I wonder if Station is an exception.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

They do own their own bodies. There was a Q&A on Tumblr  that mentioned this.
I guess the canon discussion's gonna get carried over to this thread?  Assuming they actually do, then I guess Marigold didn't so much buy the new chassis, but loaned Momo the money to buy herself a new chassis.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

AnthroPCs owning their bodies is a nice thought. Feels odd that I'm thinking that, since I'm happy that things that (yet) don't exist have rights. It did throw up a few questions in my mind though:

• Can a human own an AnthroPC chassis with no resident AI?
  • Could there be a case where a human buys the chassis without a personality and then gives it as a gift to an AI? Would this be seen more as the human giving a conditional gift of money?
  • If AIs can transfer between chassis(essesessseseses), which we know they can, are there AnthroPCs that have multiple bodies and switch between then in the same way that we would change clothes?
  • Can AIs sell their bodies?
  • Can AIs steal bodies by transferring into an empty one that they don't own?
  • Is damaging an AI's body considered bodily or property damage or something else entirely? Does it matter if the body is inhabited?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

We have the case of Winslow transferring into the practice boyfriend.  Of course, that was with permission, and he didn't like it much (except for the hands...)
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

Wait, you said you were turning square. 45 is not a square!
Sure it is. It's the square of approximately 6.708203932499369

Maybe he meant he was becoming L7 (which looks more like a rhombus, in this font).

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Method, you're confusing jwhouk and skewbrow. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I am. They have similar avatars and birthdays, so I guess I saw birthday in one thread and assumed the same person was talking about their birthday here, ha.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

Or, as my mother would say, you're halfway to 90.

YB: "Ninety per cent of your trip on this planet is half uphill" the other half is downhill
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Ph2

• Balloon animal serial killer

They do own their own bodies. There was a Q&A on Tumblr  that mentioned this. I wonder if Station is an exception.

Does Station really even have a body? All we've seen is him projecting, I would hardly call that a body. If he has some sort of solid computer he uses I suppose that would be his body. Otherwise, well, I guess he's like a ghost.
Holopony is best pony.

(click to show/hide)

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

In one sense, Station's "body" is the station itself; any physical computer core(s) would be his brain-analogue. As for ownership, I imagine whoever put the hardware up there, assuming it wasn't J E-C's private fortune, might have things to say on that matter, though I could see them deciding that the computer core(s) are Station's alone and that he is free to leave at any time via the dedicated ejection mechanism.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Method, you're confusing jwhouk and skewbrow.

I was gonna say. I'm not 49 yet.

As to Station: what happens if/when Station's orbit decays to the point where it can't be sustained? Can he switch to an AnthroPC body, or would that be just too much for him?
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Yeah, sorry about that, J. As for Station...I don't know, he'd probably have a backup server prepped for him should that ever happen. It's not like they wouldn't know it in advance.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

Wouldn't they have thrusters on something that big and expensive to keep the orbit from degrading, though?

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

At the risk of resurrecting the whole "but which way does it spin?" thread ... yeah, seems you'd want something like that, just for insurance and fine-tuning the orbit. You wouldn't need a delta of more than a few m/s. The station probably avoids the most likely cause of orbital degradation -- atmo drag -- because, judging from Jeph's drawings, it's in high LEO but not quite GEO. I say "probably" because Jeph describes an orbital period of about 90 minutes, consistent with low LEO comparable to the shuttles and ISS in the real world -- and ISS does have orbital-maintenance thrusters.

EDITED to correct last reference from GEO to LEO. Duh.
« Last Edit: 01 Oct 2012, 09:39 by DSL »
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

I'd love to know more about Station, but I suspect we'll have to wait for Jeph to get back around to constructing an arc that includes him. We spent so much (awesome) time up in space, I'm guessing we'll catch up on several of the other story lines that have been back-burnered before going back there.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Jeph said in a Tumblr Q&A that Station is too big to fit on normal server hardware.

AnthroPCs can sell their bodies: Pintsize was pondering what to do with the money if he sold his military-grade hardware and traded down to a civilian model.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

Speaking of character Twitter accounts crossing over into the comic...

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

This comic may be based on something that actually happened on Marigold's Twitter a few days ago. Warning: actual Borderlands 2 spoilers in that link, click at your own risk.

It's okay, I already saw the hentai comic.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Meow
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

YB: "Ninety per cent of your trip on this planet is half uphill" the other half is downhill

What about the remaining 10 percent? °O
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Flat.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Flat.
So for 10 percent of your life you don't age? What? Getting increasingly confused here.
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

90% is half uphill... so, 45% is uphill, 45% is downhill, and 10% is flat?

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Wouldn't they have thrusters on something that big and expensive to keep the orbit from degrading, though?
I think so. And propulsion technology is more advanced in the QC-verse than in our world, judging from the SSTO space-plane that took Hanners, Marigold and Marten into orbit.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Somebody

• Curry sauce

Jeph said in a Tumblr Q&A that Station is too big to fit on normal server hardware.
Isn't "Station" just the human subroutine (re: Friday's comic) rather than the whole AI, though? Wouldn't that be severable if it came down to it?

I think so. And propulsion technology is more advanced in the QC-verse than in our world, judging from the SSTO space-plane that took Hanners, Marigold and Marten into orbit.
Which itself would give the station a boost every time it docked (unless they horribly cocked up the direction of docking relative to the station spin and orbit, which is unlikely).

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!

It's possible that the station is higher than LEO. Maybe it was constructed in situ from raw materials mined on the Moon and asteroids. If it was high enough, it would have less atmospheric drag to deal with, which could be done with some kind of ion drive. It could even be at Earth-Moon L1 and use the orbital resonance to keep it in place.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Moving from high philosophical discussions on whether or not the cartoon AIs actually own their own "bodies" to slightly less elevated philosophy - "How many cat .gifs are necessary to placate the internet?"
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

LordVaughn

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Now in grape flavor!

At least with calculations
X*5(y) X being the threshold of cute kittens a person can take before becoming a writhing mess of temporary diabetes, y being the aww factor of each cat.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

It's possible that the station is higher than LEO. Maybe it was constructed in situ from raw materials mined on the Moon and asteroids. If it was high enough, it would have less atmospheric drag to deal with, which could be done with some kind of ion drive. It could even be at Earth-Moon L1 and use the orbital resonance to keep it in place.
Unless the windows were giant viewscreens, L1 doesn't match the depiction. Nor does GEO for that matter. And "a little bit higher than LEO" is smack in the middle of the VABs, a very bad place to put a tank full of squishies. Plus Spaceship apparently got them there in a time comparable to a transatlantic flight even with his "miss" of the station on the first orbit so a very great deal further than LEO seems ruled out by that too, unless Spaceship has a) magic rockets with super-high thrust and near-infinite specific impulse and b) inertial dampers to stop a splatting the cargo.
In which case, Station should be able to park wherever he damn well pleases because he wouldn't have to worry about petty things like "gravity" and "drag" at all.
But why would anyone think going to space was special then?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Unless the windows were giant viewscreens, L1 doesn't match the depiction. Nor does GEO for that matter. And "a little bit higher than LEO" is smack in the middle of the VABs, a very bad place to put a tank full of squishies. Plus Spaceship apparently got them there in a time comparable to a transatlantic flight even with his "miss" of the station on the first orbit so a very great deal further than LEO seems ruled out by that too, unless Spaceship has a) magic rockets with super-high thrust and near-infinite specific impulse and b) inertial dampers to stop a splatting the cargo.
In which case, Station should be able to park wherever he damn well pleases because he wouldn't have to worry about petty things like "gravity" and "drag" at all.
But why would anyone think going to space was special then?

J E-C could well have developed magic rockets with super-high thrust and near-infinite specific impulse and intertial dampeners. After all, he did invent the robot hamster.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

SleeperCylon

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

How do you spoil a video game?  19 out of 20 are 100% predictable from the first thirty minutes.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

What would be the creepiest thing to think about with an AnthroPC?

The AI inside finds it relaxing to not be bombarded with billions of inputs at once.    1 (3.4%)
The AI inside is using some of its subroutines to count down to a certain date and time...    5 (17.2%)
In its spare time, it's not only running the SETI screensaver, it's scanning the internet for anime pron.    2 (6.9%)
They don't "own" their own chassis.    7 (24.1%)
They don't really NEED their own chassis, as they're actually an AI personality.    3 (10.3%)
Momo and Winslow are the exceptions; Pintsize is the RULE.    7 (24.1%)
Pintsize actually LIKES it when Faye throws him against the wall.    3 (10.3%)
Memes like Waffles and Spathe Ham annoy the crap out of them.    1 (3.4%)
Station is actually considering "downsizing" to an AnthroPC chassis.    0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 29
Just another Joe like 46

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

How do you spoil a video game?  19 out of 20 are 100% predictable from the first thirty minutes.
More specifically, since I don't know the game in question (or any other, for that matter), could someone tell me which of Marigold's tweets contained the spoiler and, briefly and either generically or hidden, how it gave away a plot point?

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building

So, does a massive amount of cat GIFs work to soothe an inflamed internet? I've never actually seen that in action, so I wouldn't know.

PthariensFlame

• Larger than most fish

So, does a massive amount of cat GIFs work to soothe an inflamed internet? I've never actually seen that in action, so I wouldn't know.

More seriously, I don't think you can prevent all of the Internet from being inflamed, just a fragment of it; what soothes one portion will irritate another.  It's like a genetic chimera, each of whose components are allergic to different stuff.

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

You wouldn't measure it in catgifs. You'd probably need move into kilocatgifs or megacatgifs.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

FWIW feeding "cat gif" to google gives 439 million hits.

Edit: My bad pun - my duty to explain. Knowing that Jwhouk is a baseball fan I tried to paraphrase Yogi Berra's "ninety per cent of baseball is half mental". I will include into my will the request that my son will settle his old man's debt to the bad pun jar.
« Last Edit: 01 Oct 2012, 10:52 by Skewbrow »
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

I really like the way Marigold grabs her hair when she's freaking out. I'm fairly sure she's done it before but can't archive-fu one up.

EDIT: Found one!
« Last Edit: 01 Oct 2012, 13:31 by Welu »

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Warning: Civ4 spoiler ahead.

Montezuma will declare war on everyone.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Yeah, but at least he's pretty upfront about it bein' all transparently xenophobic right from the start and all. It's the backstabbers that turn on you five years into a research/trade agreement that really annoy me (I'm looking at you, Nobunga)…

(Still want the next Civ game to have the next SMAC game as a semi-standalone companion/expansion pack)

Rockman

• Emoticontraindication

I really like the way Marigold grabs her hair when she's freaking out. I'm fairly sure she's done it before but can't archive-fu one up.

I feel like I've seen it before too, but this is all I could find off-hand. Same kinda "OH GOD CATASTROPHE" vibe though, which is pretty entertaining.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
~ Terry Pratchett

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

EDIT: Found one!

She apparently gets it from her dad.
« Last Edit: 01 Oct 2012, 15:29 by jwhouk »
Just another Joe like 46

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

It's not the Red Chinese!
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Tobimaro

• Emoticontraindication

I checked the Marigold Twitter feed, and I cannot find the "offensive" post.  But, then again, I have not played Borderlands 2 (and I do not plan on playing it).  Plus, I do not care about spoilers in video games as I tend to use GameFAQS to help me out with some difficult games.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P

I checked the Marigold Twitter feed, and I cannot find the "offensive" post.  But, then again, I have not played Borderlands 2 (and I do not plan on playing it).  Plus, I do not care about spoilers in video games as I tend to use GameFAQS to help me out with some difficult games.
(click to show/hide)

(Modified to put the spoiler in spoiler tags - Method)
« Last Edit: 01 Oct 2012, 20:38 by Method of Madness »
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

PthariensFlame

• Larger than most fish

It's okay, Marten, I totally thought that it was a love letter too. :oops:

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I wonder what sort of box social Emily is throwing!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up