Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And The MOMENT OF THE WEEK was?

Marigold's OOPS!
- 0 (0%)
The entire internet is mad at me!
- 1 (2.2%)
Only one thing to do: Cat GIFs? LOTS of Cat GIFs.
- 2 (4.4%)
Here, Marten! Open it and see! Tee hee!
- 1 (2.2%)
Oh, hey, Emily invited you too!
- 0 (0%)
Yeah, what'd you think it was, a love letter?
- 0 (0%)
OH MY GOD YOU ARE PRECIOUS (Sh-shut up! Shut it all the way up!)
- 10 (22.2%)
Party at Emily Azuma's parent's lake house! (And Cristi's handwriting!)
- 2 (4.4%)
You should invite all your friends, too! There's plenty of room!
- 0 (0%)
A thousand people would probably be too many. (How big is your parents' lake house?)
- 0 (0%)
Faye with the watiress outfit - "Hey, Buttass, what's up?"
- 2 (4.4%)
Emily the intern is throwing a party, wanna come?
- 0 (0%)
Dora: Am I invited? Marten: Oh yeah, def- (Tai: AAH! AAAAH!)
- 1 (2.2%)
Tai: One of my interns is throwing a party. Wanna come?
- 1 (2.2%)
Marigold walks by. (DAT A$$)
- 15 (33.3%)
Angus gets caught "peeking"
- 3 (6.7%)
GIBBS-SMACK!
- 5 (11.1%)
What was that? NOTHING!
- 2 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2286-90 (1-5 October 2012) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 71053 times)

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Faye does look good today.

But what's up with Dora.  Her attire is all over the place last several strips. 

I will note, however, I missed her look when he grew her hair out and it had blonde tips.  Always wanted to see what she'd look like as a full blonde, just for curiosity's sake as I LOVE black haired ladies.  Love them.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Faye does look pretty cool, but I never understood the shirts like the one Dora's wearing, it looks like someone took a t-shirt and cut an arbitrary amount from the right shoulder. Am I missing something?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Tai would have been better off with a "Yes, please Dora, can you come to the party?" chimed in with Marten's answer, than "AAAAAHHHH...."

Faye's outfit;  Breast pockets.  That is all. 

Dora's;  my younger daughter wore severely oversized t-shirts with the collars (and sleeves, and bits of the sides) cut out when she exercised.  The result was often similar. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Yeah, but at least that's symmetrical. What I don't get is when people do it on just one side.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

That's just the point! It's asymmetrical! It shows you are kooky and interesting!

NotAwesomeAnymore

• Furry furrier

Hey, what's up with collars and ties and random frills and buttons? Clothes are wack.

Also, I was kinda weirded out by the Tai thing. It seemed so immature and unnecessary and not particularly cute. Perhaps I'm too irritable today.  :?

Mothykins

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Spotted Stegasaurothingy

Yeah, but at least that's symmetrical. What I don't get is when people do it on just one side.

Iunno, I think it's a cool style of shirt. Guess it's just a case of "different strokes for different folks"?

On Tai: Hrm. Now, I'm usually among the first to white-knight for her, but today's strip came across as a bit grating, even to me. The last panel didn't feel very natural, either, for some reason.
Be loud, be proud, and rejoice!

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

I'm hoping Pizza Girl delivers some pies to the party. It would explain why we haven't seen her in a while: she's move up by some lake.

RyanW1019

• Larger than most fish
  • PARALYSIS BY ANALYSIS

I really like the way Marigold grabs her hair when she's freaking out. I'm fairly sure she's done it before but can't archive-fu one up.

EDIT: Found one!

Found another one! http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1460

Rockman

• Emoticontraindication

Tai's behavior isn't bugging me like it seems to be for others.  Just personal taste I guess.  :-D Also it cracks me up when she talks like she does in the last panel, reminds me of how she acts in panel 3 in this strip.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
~ Terry Pratchett

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

I will note, however, I missed her look when he grew her hair out and it had blonde tips roots.
FYP.

Sorry, I'm apparently having an anal-retentive day.

crowbar563

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • Ferrets!
    • My comic blog

I guess I am just used to ladies taking scissors to their shirts. It is most notable in the student sections during football games. It's most notable when they slice open the sides and stand right in front of you. Its like "I don't want to stare, but you are putting everything right in front of my face. This is getting awkward."
When I draw, I think about running.
When I run, I think about science.
When I research, I think about drawing.
Sleep is not in the equation.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Are you sure that "anal-retentive" has a hyphen?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Faye does look pretty cool, but I never understood the shirts like the one Dora's wearing, it looks like someone took a t-shirt and cut an arbitrary amount from the right shoulder. Am I missing something?

80's chic is in, don'tcha know?

I took Marten's sigh as a "oh for ***** sake! fine. guess i can't ask my friend these questions anymore."  She's definitely one of the overbearing types I avoid as friends.  Just as my own personal preference.

She's showing to be the dominant of the relationship with Dora? Never figured Dora to be the submissive type.

PthariensFlame

• Larger than most fish
  • I ♥ van Laarhoven lenticuloid families!
    • Chirex Formens/Chirex Ialtens
Quote from: Anne McCaffrey
Honor those the dragons heed
In thought and favor, word and deed.
Worlds are lost or worlds are saved
From those dangers dragon-braved.

Renewman

• Emoticontraindication

Oh you guys already know I'm going to voice my displeasure over this strip. Tai has officially crossed the border from "slightly annoying" into full blown "irritating." Getting so insecure and possessive as to stop Marten mid-conversation to ask the same question he just asked? I don't even.  :psyduck:

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

I think the strip and Tai's tugging at Martin so she could pass the invitation to Dora was a hoot. Tai doesn't irritate me. She is what she is. She is what Jeph makes her. She's a character, with a personality. Maybe out of my ignorance of the generation, I think she's believable. I like her, warts and all.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

I guess I am just used to ladies taking scissors to their shirts. It is most notable in the student sections during football games. It's most notable when they slice open the sides and stand right in front of you. Its like "I don't want to stare, but you are putting everything right in front of my face. This is getting awkward."

Oh I don't have a problem with that particular style.  My college days are only a few months ago and yes...ladies take the scissors to their shirts quite often and its incredibly distracting and find it completely ridiculous when they catch you looking and give you dirty looks.  I mean.....c'mon, admit it.  You did that partly to ventilate, mostly to flash the flesh.

What I dislike about Tai's continued "puppy love" as some of you seem to find it and find it cute....it's bordering on obsession.  Now, she's always been obsessed over Dora but it was manageable because she was dating Marten.  Now that she is kinda dating Dora, it's melodramatic and overdone.

Then again....I had a...quasi-relationship with a girl my sophomore year of college.  Ok, probably more friends with benefits nature.  Other than not being a butch lesbian, she was pretty much time.  Over the top, obsessive, overbearing, and controlling.  Needless to say that didn't last long, however we were both on the same residential life staff.  My god that was the most frustrating several months of my college career.  That's pretty much why Tai completely turns me off.
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2012, 15:07 by Madmartigan »

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Sure, I was just following a thought chain that ended up with the main point: is Momo treated more like a human now that she's in a new chassis?
Pretty definitely, I think. In her old chassis Marigold, and Faye even more so, treated her like a doll or toy. Remember the way Faye used to peer up her skirt, or toss her around, for example? It makes Emily's belly-button pushing look pretty tame.

As for Tai in 2289, I think Jeph went for the funny more than the character development here, and that's fine. Marten's expression in the third panel is brilliantly done.

I don't understand all the bibble-babble about Dora's top. It's just an ordinary wide-necked top of the sort that's intended to be worn off the shoulder, or at least always slips that way. No scissors are required. Don't you guys pay any attention to what girls are wearing? Hey, it's been a while since I posted a fashion-rant...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

THE LAST COMIC CERTAINLY WAS SERIOUS BUSINESS.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

So Dora is assbutt and Marten is buttass. I like it!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Don't you guys pay any attention to what girls are wearing? Hey, it's been a while since I posted a fashion-rant...

Sometimes I realize that if I had to file a missing persons report on my wife I wouldn't be able to tell the authorities what she was wearing when she disappeared.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage

Don't you guys pay any attention to what girls are wearing? Hey, it's been a while since I posted a fashion-rant...

Sometimes I realize that if I had to file a missing persons report on my wife I wouldn't be able to tell the authorities what she was wearing when she disappeared.

Not really the same thing, but that reminds me of the joke in the musical Guys and Dolls where Sky offers a wager that challenges Nathan to tell him the colour of the tie he is wearing. A wager he is forced to refuse when he can't recall with any certainty.

But yes, I've been to fun runs with my partner where, when trying to meet up afterwards, I spend a comical minute or two straining to recall what she was wearing. Sheesh.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I don't understand all the bibble-babble about Dora's top. It's just an ordinary wide-necked top of the sort that's intended to be worn off the shoulder, or at least always slips that way. No scissors are required. Don't you guys pay any attention to what girls are wearing? Hey, it's been a while since I posted a fashion-rant...
I've seen them before, I just don't see how it's comfortable.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

Let's see:
  • Steve
  • Faye
  • Dora
  • Sven
  • Amir
  • Jimbo (if he's sober)
  • Hannelore
  • Angus
  • Cosette
  • Elliot
  • Penelope
  • Will
  • Marigold
  • Emily (obviously)
  • Gabby (getting there)
  • Claire (who's probably already going to be there)
  • Clinton (though that's questionable)
  • Momo
  • Winslow
  • Pintsize (No, he doesn't want him to burn Emily's parents place down)

Hmm... Jimbo and Winslow probably wouldn't fit in.  I don't think Marten ever really thinks of Amir outside Deathmřle.  I almost forgot who Eliot was.  Penelope's probably not going, or Wil, just by virtue of being too many degrees from the principals.  I don't think Marten would think to invite Sven, and I don't think Dora would want to.  Angus and Cosette are probably invited by default, though.

So yeah, I'm going to say in addition to Dora and Faye, Angus, Steve, Cosette, Hannelore, Marigold, Momo, and of course, Emily, Gabby, Claire, Marten, and Tai.  Probably not Clinton, only since the only one who'd invite him would be Claire, and she... wouldn't.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Don't you guys pay any attention to what girls are wearing?

I rather not elaborate.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch

So I have noticed something about the Dora/Tai thing:

Tai is proving to be the more - controlling I think is the word I am looking for- and given Dora's past experience with Marten, Dora has control issues.
Now Dora has been through therapy, so she could be better equipped than she was before, but this hasn't been tested yet.
Does Dora or Tai have what it takes to step down to ensure the security of their relationship? With Marten, it came with small cracks (The haircut incident). But considering the foundation it was based on (Marten and Faye's romantic interest in each other), that could have been a separate case all together

But still, I can see plenty of things that could go wrong:
The aforementioned control issues. Dora seems fine now, but perhaps she hasn't considered the long term with Tai.
Tai's history with polyamory. Maybe she decides monogamy isn't for her and has to make a choice between that and Dora
Or maybe the awkwardness between Tai and Marten reaches a critical high. It would be hard working with someone when you've been with the same lady.

Or maybe this is all overanalysis and I am just talking out of my ass right now. Anything is possible!
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Meh

I just interpreted that as Tai wanting to be the one to invite Dora out for a second date.

Funny though, she looks real 'Puppy Dog' in the third panel.

Oh, and why is Faye dressing like Emma Peel??
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Why not? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Vurogj

• Obscure cultural reference

So Dora is assbutt and Marten is buttass. I like it!
I thought Marten was spookypants?

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

I'm pretty sure that's Dora.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

muffin_of_chaos

• Plantmonster

Tai seems sort of clingy with Dora.  Does not bode well.
(Would bode well if they were in the same place.  A certain level of clinginess can add to the intimacy.)

ponderch3rry

• Plantmonster
  • lollercoaster
    • Seek Porpoise - A webcomic

I've seen them before, I just don't see how it's comfortable.

I'd equate the feeling to wearing a tank-top or boob-tube. Nice and breezy on your shoulders on a warm day ^_^
My webcomic:
www.seekporpoise.net

~~~ om nom nom nom~~~

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Why not?

Indeed

*Doffs Bowler hat*
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

*Doffs Bowler hat*
Can we borrow it? - a colleague became a British citizen yesterday, and overnight his desk has been tastefully decorated with all the red, white and blue paraphernalia left over from our summer jubilee celebrations; and an England rugby shirt to replace his NZ one.  But we're missing a bowler.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

WAYF

• Beyoncé

Smooth reflexes there, Faye. It can't be easy to just backhand someone like that.

I propose that the sheer density of cat .gifs Marigold has subjected herself to has contributed to her current butt status.
We must investigate this phenomenon. For Science!

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Smooth reflexes there, Faye. It can't be easy to just backhand someone like that.
Faye reads gossip mags?  :psyduck:
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.

Man, you can't blame Angus for looking, Faye, Marigold apparently has what I hear is called a "badonkadonk".

THE LAST COMIC CERTAINLY WAS SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Well I mean naturally we have to analyze how each movement Tai makes and any jokes she is involved in are reflective of her massive deficiencies as a person and vast personality flaws. (Please note sarcasm.)
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Toe

• Obscure cultural reference

Faye apparently went directly home and burned that crazy outfit she was wearing earlier and changed into something less silly.

Overkillengine

• Furry furrier
  • Meh.

...I didn't even notice the magazine until it got mentioned in this post.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

No, she reads Gossip Mag, an ironic post-structural review of other gossipy organs. Its meta gossip.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

I wondered about that too.

I think it's interesting Marigold is dressed like that. Maybe it's just warm and they're pyjamas or comfy clothes but usually we only see her in t-shirts and comfy trousers.

Tova

• coprophage

Probably why Angus reacted the way he did.

Don't think Faye has anything to worry about with Marigold, though, really.

Edit: Holy cow... I'm eternal!

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Faye you have forgotten - Angus is allowed to look at other items on the menu, he's just not allowed to order.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Tai Fanboi

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • DeadWinter

I dunno when it happened but whenever Marigold appears in a strip now I picture her as Kat Dennings.  But after seeing how she usually dressed and this outfit being such a departure from the norm, can't tell if the stare is because of the out of the norm look or because "hey look booty shorts"...  But I'm hedging my bets on both

Oh god, I should've drunk more so I wouldn't remember that.

Renewman

• Emoticontraindication

Ha! Looks like Faye now realizes she isn't the only one in the circle of friends who actually has a big ass. While Angus wasn't smart enough to hide the fact that he looked (like all of us guys do from time to time) Faye is still in the wrong for reprimanding for a little peek. Nothing wrong with window shopping. Of course with her past issues with trust and insecurity, I can't blame her for getting upset over it. I do want to see Marigold go out with someone sooner or later though. I don't really think it's going to work out with homeboy from the space station.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

Say it with me now...

Dat. ASS.

:-o
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

DAT

ASS!

:psyduck:  :psyduck:  :psyduck:

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Angus, Angus.

Women always know when you're looking at other women.  And you were doing it...with your arm wrapped around your honey.  Poor form, man, poor form!

Love his expression.  "When'd she get that ass!? :-o"

A true level of surprise.  Though, he is dating Faye.  The queen of booties in this comic so far. 

Angus gonna have some to do some work to make up for that long stare.

Sylentknight

• Emoticontraindication

HAHAHA!  That made my day. Go Marigold go!

And Angus...Rule One. Never move the head, only the eyes. This includes when you have the advantage of sunglasses.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up