Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And The MOMENT OF THE WEEK was?

Marigold's OOPS!
- 0 (0%)
The entire internet is mad at me!
- 1 (2.2%)
Only one thing to do: Cat GIFs? LOTS of Cat GIFs.
- 2 (4.4%)
Here, Marten! Open it and see! Tee hee!
- 1 (2.2%)
Oh, hey, Emily invited you too!
- 0 (0%)
Yeah, what'd you think it was, a love letter?
- 0 (0%)
OH MY GOD YOU ARE PRECIOUS (Sh-shut up! Shut it all the way up!)
- 10 (22.2%)
Party at Emily Azuma's parent's lake house! (And Cristi's handwriting!)
- 2 (4.4%)
You should invite all your friends, too! There's plenty of room!
- 0 (0%)
A thousand people would probably be too many. (How big is your parents' lake house?)
- 0 (0%)
Faye with the watiress outfit - "Hey, Buttass, what's up?"
- 2 (4.4%)
Emily the intern is throwing a party, wanna come?
- 0 (0%)
Dora: Am I invited? Marten: Oh yeah, def- (Tai: AAH! AAAAH!)
- 1 (2.2%)
Tai: One of my interns is throwing a party. Wanna come?
- 1 (2.2%)
Marigold walks by. (DAT A$$)
- 15 (33.3%)
Angus gets caught "peeking"
- 3 (6.7%)
GIBBS-SMACK!
- 5 (11.1%)
What was that? NOTHING!
- 2 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2286-90 (1-5 October 2012) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 70898 times)

ponderch3rry

• Plantmonster
  • lollercoaster
    • Seek Porpoise - A webcomic

boob-tube
That's an article of clothing? I thought "boob-tube" meant television.

Probably an alternate to 'tube top', which is, quite literally, a boob tube  :-D

Hahaha yes, also known as a tube top! Everything is more crass in Australia  8-)

Also, a nice slang here for the television set is the "idiot box"  :-D
My webcomic:
www.seekporpoise.net

~~~ om nom nom nom~~~

ponderch3rry

• Plantmonster
  • lollercoaster

To be honest, I was more disturbed by the fact that Angus was perving on his housemate than by Faye smacking him. I've lived with many housemates of the opposite sex and thinking that they ever perved on my big arse whilst I was wearing shorts kind of creeps me out, heh.

With the whole domestic violence thing, my partner and I wrestle about sometimes and we'll give each other a punch on the shoulder from time-to-time, though always in a playful manner. I think it's important that violence against men is not treated lightly (equality of the sexes and all that) but I think we can hardly call what happened in this strip "domestic violence". If she had slapped him across the face or something, then maybe, but I certainly wouldn't say that a little flick in the ear is serious enough to bring up such a heavy discussion.
My webcomic:
www.seekporpoise.net

~~~ om nom nom nom~~~

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I'd hardly call what he did "perving". Seems a but strong of a word.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ponderch3rry

• Plantmonster
  • lollercoaster

I'd hardly call what he did "perving". Seems a but strong of a word.

I think that's exactly what he did, unless you're implying that he was just admiring the colour of her shorts?

perv  (pɜːv)

— n
1.    a pervert
2.    ( Austral ) an erotic glance or look

I also reject that it's a strong word to use in a situation such as this. I think it's a word purely to describe what he was doing and don't think it was derogatory in any way.

How would you describe what's occurring in the second panel?
My webcomic:
www.seekporpoise.net

~~~ om nom nom nom~~~

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

Yep, you hear that one here in the States too  :-)

As for a better term, I'd probably call it ogling, or simply 'admiring the view'. Perving, and also leering, at least over here, carries a negative connotation, and to say that Angus if is 'perving' on Marigold, reads to me that he wants to make a pass at her or bang her.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

As for a better term, I'd probably call it ogling, or simply 'admiring the view'.

"Perving" is a perfectly good term for those things. It wouldn't imply any more than that in Australia IMO.

Then again, we throw around words like "bugger" as well, so meh.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

ponderch3rry

• Plantmonster
  • lollercoaster

Yep, you hear that one here in the States too  :-)

Ah, I see! So it's just boob tube that's a bit odd when one refers to a piece of clothing in the USA, good to know :D

As for a better term, I'd probably call it ogling, or simply 'admiring the view'.

"Perving" is a perfectly good term for those things. It wouldn't imply any more than that in Australia IMO.

Must be an Australian thing, eh? We say someone is perving on another person when they're checking them out. Like Tova says, it implies no further connotations than that.

Confusion = Sorted!  :-D
My webcomic:
www.seekporpoise.net

~~~ om nom nom nom~~~

Overkillengine

• Furry furrier
  • Meh.

DNR, perhaps a dive through previous WCDTs might yield the answers you're looking for, as far as how far discussions have gone in the past, and might give a bit of a sense of closure to said discussion if you read what's come before? As I've said, I'm pretty new here, so I wouldn't personally know where to begin. But some of the veterans of the site might be able to give you an approximate timeframe for which to begin your search.

http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,22409.0.html for example.

Good grief, there's barely anyone in that thread that's posting in here anymore! 

My, how things have changed...

Well, I and I assume other have lurked since well before then.

The amount of bile/strife/RAAAAAAGE that cropped up over things that should not be taken as seriously as they were really discouraged participation though.

And to add to burger related discussion: Deer burger is great, though usually you need some animal fat added from another meat type to keep it from being too dry.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Buffalo burgers = wonderful.

Re: "perving", if the word shares a definition with "pervert", I don't see how there's no negative connotation, but it's really just semantics at this point.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Well, the word "bugger" isn't exactly polite if you look at its meaning, but it is such a mild curse in Australia that it was the centre-piece of a particularly well-known advertisement.

Slang isn't necessarily logical.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

Well, the word "bugger" isn't exactly polite if you look at its meaning, but it is such a mild curse in Australia that it was the centre-piece of a particularly well-known advertisement.

Slang isn't necessarily logical.
True. When we say "bugger the thing" when, for example, your phone slips out of your hand (but doesn't break), it's just to say that something was "unexpected, a little annoying, but not actually bad". It's not to say that we want to sodomise it or anything (when you actually look at the uses of the word "bugger")...

Well, for the normal folk of us here, anyway.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

True. When we say "Fuck" when, for example, your phone slips out of your hand (but doesn't break), it's just to say that something was "unexpected, a little annoying, but not actually bad". It's not to say that we want to fornicate with it or anything
True. When we say "Damn It" when, for example, your phone slips out of your hand (but doesn't break), it's just to say that something was "unexpected, a little annoying, but not actually bad". It's not to say that we want the phone tossed into Hell where it can suffer for all eternity or anything
So are Fuck and Bugger equivalent in their "acceptability" in your example usage? I doubt it. As someone above said, Slang is not logical.

Oh, and many gourmet burgers are a mix of ground beef and ground pork.

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

Whatever floats your boat, jmucchiello :) .

Seriously, though, one mans' mild curse is another mans' swearing is another mans' fucking punctuation, damn it. There really aren't that many rules to the English language that two different people can agree upon (except maybe using L3375P33K and "txt shrthnd" being made into criminal offences or something).
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

One of my favorite jokes to tell (in the right company) concerns a soldier back in the barracks after an afternoon pass to town, describing to his buddies how he got on the bus, went to town, met a girl, had a milkshake with her, went to her apartment and convinced her to disrobe. The account is lengthy and the gerund form of the f-bomb is liberally interspersed throughout as a mild intensifier. The teller pauses at the cliffhanger moment and his buddies anxiously ask: "And? And? What did you do then?"
And the answer is: "What do you f***in' think we did, you f***in' jerks? We had sexual intercourse."

It's in Asimov's first joke book. He ruins it by explaining it.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up