THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 08:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Resident Evil 6  (Read 4214 times)

TheEvilDog

Resident Evil 6
« on: 02 Oct 2012, 20:50 »

I hate that fucking elevator cable!
That is all.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
Re: Resident Evil 6
« Reply #1 on: 05 Oct 2012, 12:58 »

I'm sure that will make more sense after I play, which will be sometime this weekend.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #2 on: 05 Oct 2012, 19:48 »

Does anyone else wish the Resident Evil series would go back to its roots? There are enough zombie shoot-em-ups out there! This barely looks like a survival-horror game at all. I'm not saying there shouldn't be evolution or anything, just that this looks like a run-of-the-mill zombie shooter and thus not really worth my time or money.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3 on: 05 Oct 2012, 20:09 »

Revelations for the 3DS did a pretty good job of mixing it up, actually - Jill's sections played like the old-school games, while Chris's played more like the modern incarnations. I've heard a few friends say they've taken a similar tack with this game.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #4 on: 06 Oct 2012, 11:33 »

Does anyone else wish the Resident Evil series would go back to its roots? There are enough zombie shoot-em-ups out there! This barely looks like a survival-horror game at all. I'm not saying there shouldn't be evolution or anything, just that this looks like a run-of-the-mill zombie shooter and thus not really worth my time or money.

Each of the three campaigns offer a different sort of horror, which comes across through gameplay. Leon's campaign is probably the closest to the original games in terms of survival horror (I think his was described as Gothic horror), both in that you often have to rely on the handgun while saving the more powerful weapons for the bigger zombies as well as trying to survive being in the epicentre of a major biohazard.

Chris' is probably the closest to a shoot-em-up, but then again, that's because of the nature of his character. He is a soldier and a member of an anti-terrorist organisation. If someone like Chris Redfield is being sent into an area, its because the situation has degenerated to the point where they have to go guns blazing.

I can't really comment on Jake's campaign as I haven't played it yet, but all I can say is think back to the original games and the amount of backtracking that was involved, or the amount of ridiculous puzzles that had to be solved (How can anyone justify a police station having that many puzzles?). Ultimately, games have to evolve or they stagnate and relying on the same formula becomes, well, formulaic.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #5 on: 06 Oct 2012, 11:42 »

This has actually been a hotly debated topic over on the capcommunity boards.  For years.

There's this whole group of people that started the series with RE4, and the gameplay that it had, which was quite the separation from the oldschool style.  Then there are folks like me, that liked the old style, and would rather they go back to something at least TRYING to be frightening.

Basically, it was constant bickering back and forth over what was better, why Capcom had to change the gameplay, and why the old style wouldn't sell as many games in today's market.  I can honestly see both sides of the argument, but I got pretty tired of it all, and left the capcom boards.  I have yet to play 6 - but I will probably sit down with it tonight, and see if they actually are attempting to get back to scary, or just relying on action, or if they really have found some amalgamation of the two (which wouldn't bother me, to be honest).

I just got really tired of Capcom saying they were getting back to their horror roots, and then delivering something that did nothing of the kind.  I also understand the evolution of a game series, especially if you want to remain competitive in a tough market.  That doesn't mean I have to like it.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #6 on: 08 Oct 2012, 12:40 »

Okay - so I got into this game last night.  I only played the 'Leon' path so far, so that is the only one I know about so far.  Without spoilers, I will do my best to describe the experience.

1 - There is definitely a different feel to this game, and I really like it.  It reminds me of the early games, without actually being the old style of gameplay.  I think a large part of this is because of the use of atmosphere.  In RE5, there was a whole lot of daylight, and as much as monsters can come out in the day, night is so much better.  They also did a great job of the nighttime lighting in 6.  It's very realistic, as in my eyes had to adjust at some points, just to see that, oh yeah, there's a zombie there waiting for me to step on it.  There are a lot of scenes where flashlights are used (headstrap lights too), and it really does matter.  It's a more frightening atmosphere, when you know there are things there, and might be closer than you thought, but just couldn't see them.  So far, Leon's path really does remind me of the old games, and that is a welcome surprise to me.

2 - Not all of it is great.  There are a lot of Quicktime events.  I'm not a huge fan of this, but as long as it doesn't become too overbearing, I'll deal.  Something that bugged the SHIT out of me: I was walking along, being careful, and I spotted a zombie sitting up on a stool.  Now, my experience with this type of game tells me that that fucker is going to get up, and come after me when I least expect it.  My response?  I shot him in the head before he could.  Then I shot him again.  And one last time just to confirm what I was seeing.  And it was terribly disappointing.  The problem is that until they have been triggered to WAKE UP, there's no damaging them.  That is a big pile of steaming horseshit as far as  I'm concerned.  I should be able to put slugs in brains to keep them from getting up, if I so choose to play that way.  BIG MISS in my eyes.

3 - The storytelling is kind of disjointed.  I won't give anything away, in case anyone is like me, and you play the games for the story.  What I will say, is that it's kind of like they took notes on movies like Pulp Fiction, and anything written by Guy Ritchie, and said, "FUCK YES, that's what we are doing!"  Mind you, that doesn't have to be a bad thing, and another thing to note is that I'm not all the way through this path yet, so it could get better.  I'm waiting for it to, because I feel like I'm being made to think like an ADD squirrel on crack at the moment.  This is a preference thing, so others might enjoy the style.  I will say this about it, it feels like playing a movie instead of a game at times.  Take that as you will for whether or not that's a positive.

4 - The most important thing of all.  I'm having fun with RE again.  There's really no getting around that as a result.  So far, it's enjoyable.  I already like it better than 4 and 5, put together, and I really am having a good time.  That makes it a worthwhile purchase to me.  And I honestly never thought I would say it, but Capcom did a good job.

My blog

TheEvilDog

« Reply #7 on: 08 Oct 2012, 14:23 »

I finished Leon's campaign last night (the problem I was having was that its a continuous QTE scene, where convention would tell you to tap the buttons, where in actual fact you have to hold the buttons down, tapping to continue. Frustrating until you realise what you need to do). I'm currently playing through Jake's campaign.

I agree with you on some of the points. Experience tells you that if you see a zombie lying down, you shoot it to make sure it stays down. So yeah, it can be annoying to realise that it's actually a proximity AI. But ultimately, its something you pick up on very quickly so you're really only wasting handgun rounds.

I have never been a fan of the QTEs that Capcom has been doing in their games (I'm looking at you Dino Crisis and the Leon-Krauser knife fight) so I can understand how you feel about that.

The only thing I would disagree with is that the story is disjointed. The thing about Resident Evil 6 is that the campaigns all lead to the same point, during which you see the same story from different perspectives. Which is somewhat realistic when you consider that you have several people all coming from different points and only picking up the information available to them. You need to play all the campaigns to get the whole story. Which actually is far more RE2's approach when you look at it.

But yes, Resident Evil is fun again, which is by and far the most important part.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2012, 15:24 »

Okay - so I now understand the statement regarding the elevator cable.  That was not incredibly intuitive, and would have been more than a little frustrating had I not known to look for trouble there.

I still stand by my earlier statement about the storytelling being disjointed.  Again, I don't consider that to be all bad, but I don't know of another term that would more accurately describe the style.  And it's actually BECAUSE of the fact that it's being told from three different perspectives, on three different missions, not in spite of it.

Finished up Leon's run last night, and I think I'll start Chris' next.  We'll see how it goes from there.

My blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up