THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 12:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Assassins Creed 3  (Read 18757 times)

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
Assassins Creed 3
« on: 05 Oct 2012, 19:52 »

The more I see of this game, the more I absolutely cannot wait to play it. I'm a big fan of American history, and as I just mentioned in a previous thread I love me some stealth assassination games. More than that, the gameplay in this just looks so badass. I really hope that translates from gameplay videos into gameplay itself, and I'm actually fairly optimistic that it will. I've always wanted to leap from tree to tree, tomahawking entire squads of Red Coats on my way to stabbing some nefarious general in the face. And soon I'll be able to!
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Gregorio

• Balloon animal serial killer
Re: Assassins Creed 3
« Reply #1 on: 06 Oct 2012, 18:17 »

I love the AC games, but I have to admit that I feel like there's something usually missing from the gameplay. I realize it's not like Hitman. Your goal is to gain attention of Templars, to cause a ruckus, and use your enemy's full alertness against them. The escapes are nailed down pat, but I feel like there's something missing from the scouting, the approach, and the ultimate execution. It's bothered me for almost five years, now.

Other than that, I'm stoked. I just love how engrossing the atmosphere of the games is, and though Desmond is about as exciting as crotch rot, the current-day plots are just getting more and more addictive.

ackblom12

« Reply #2 on: 06 Oct 2012, 18:28 »

Actually, as much as I love the games, the there are a couple of things that's seriously bothered me about them, one of those things being the inclusion of the poison darts. As much sense as they make, it was essentially a "Successful Mission" button just waiting to happen.

Either way though, AC3 looks fucking amazing.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #3 on: 01 Dec 2012, 18:47 »

to those who have or will get Assassin's Creed 3.  Your first mission in the opera house:

As you are climbing the balcony keep your eyes out for a booth with a man and a woman making out.  its quiet hilarious.

Spoiler
(click to show/hide)
on that note I wish we could play more as Haytham.

Just finished the prologue with Haytham,  WTF!  great name for the achievement too once you finish with haytham.
« Last Edit: 01 Dec 2012, 22:26 by LeeC »
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 02 Dec 2012, 10:08 »

I just beat the game last night and I have to say that  Assassin's Creed 3 was a lot of fun. The one thing that I really enjoyed about the game was the hunting parts. It was a great way to earn extra money and I thought they did it pretty well, though it reminded me of Red Dead Redemption.

But c'mon Ubisoft, I want a fuedal era Japan game. IT PRACTICALLY WRITES ITSELF.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #5 on: 02 Dec 2012, 15:33 »

Yes!! God that would be amazing. There has NEVER been a genuinely good ninja game (and Ninja Giadan and Shinobi do not count) and for the life of me I cannot figure out why. Tenchu tried but those games had awful AI and clunky controls so they really weren't very fun. An awesome, open world, ninja stealth assassin game would rock so hard.

Hollow Press (my blog)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #6 on: 02 Dec 2012, 16:32 »

Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #7 on: 02 Dec 2012, 17:48 »

Hmm, had not heard of that until now. It DOES look pretty cool. I'm always a tad skeptical of modern platform style games having enough gameplay depth, but then things like Braid and Limbo come along and I realize I'm just being silly and that good developers can do amazing things within that limitation. I will check this out! That being said, I feel like a Splinter Cell/Assassins Creed style system is more along the lines of what I'm picturing (pretty much what Tenchu wanted to be but never was for a whole host of largely mechanics-based reasons). It just seems so logical to me that I'm amazed it hasn't happened yet. People love ninjas, people love stealthily slaughtering baddies, and people love Japan. It just feels like a no-brainer.

Hollow Press (my blog)

ackblom12

« Reply #8 on: 02 Dec 2012, 17:52 »

I would absolutely be up for a Ninja game in the style of Assassin's Creed. I'd prefer the other option to be closer to Hitman than Splinter Cell though.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #9 on: 03 Dec 2012, 14:24 »

I actually had written "Hitman" but then deleted it. In my imagining of ninjas, they weren't breaking into places in the way 47 does. I picture more pure stealth than the hiding-in-plain-sight thing 47 is best known for. But hell, I'll take what I can get and I DO love me some Hitman.

Hollow Press (my blog)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #10 on: 03 Dec 2012, 14:35 »

So I hear AC3 is rather light on the stabby-stabby. How many people do you actually have to assassinate this time around?
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #11 on: 03 Dec 2012, 17:22 »

So I hear AC3 is rather light on the stabby-stabby. How many people do you actually have to assassinate this time around?
Well if I told you that I would give away a huge spoiler.  Suffice to say the game presents you with 6-8 but then again there are so many twists and turns that it very well could be more.

If I did have one complaint about the game it would be that the shadows rendering is terrible.

I would have to say I like the villains, the main character is alright, desmond is whinny as ever, and the mentor is like if you combined master splinter and mr miyagi.

on top of that the naval battles are a lot of fun and your first mate is voiced by mr. gibbs from the pirates of the Caribbean films.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #12 on: 03 Dec 2012, 20:29 »

I thought that was him, it even looks like him

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #13 on: 04 Dec 2012, 16:56 »

I would absolutely be up for a Ninja game in the style of Assassin's Creed. I'd prefer the other option to be closer to Hitman than Splinter Cell though.
put it in the time of the warring states, oda nobunaga is head templar.  totally could work.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #14 on: 07 Dec 2012, 05:10 »

Just started playing this week.

So there's very little mention of this, but you know the Frontiersman Haunted Lighthouse quest?

(click to show/hide)

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #15 on: 07 Dec 2012, 19:00 »

There seems to be a lot of hate for this game, and I don't really get why.

ackblom12

« Reply #16 on: 08 Dec 2012, 07:27 »

I haven't seen a lot of hate for it, but I have seen a lot of disappointment. Makes me pretty okay with putting off purchasing it.

Gregorio

« Reply #17 on: 08 Dec 2012, 12:17 »

The ZP review put me off the game more than anything. I wasn't such a big fan of all of the money-earning stuff from AC2 and its spin-offs, but if it's as oppressive and focused on the side stuff as he says it is, then I'll put this game off until it's $30.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #18 on: 08 Dec 2012, 14:20 »

I haven't seen a lot of hate for it, but I have seen a lot of disappointment. Makes me pretty okay with putting off purchasing it.
Are you saying you postponed purchasing it or decided not to purchase it at all?

The ZP review put me off the game more than anything. I wasn't such a big fan of all of the money-earning stuff from AC2 and its spin-offs, but if it's as oppressive and focused on the side stuff as he says it is, then I'll put this game off until it's $30.
I'm not saying that's a bad decision, but you shouldn't really base your opinion of a game on the ZP review alone, because it's bound to be extremely light on the game's merits.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #19 on: 08 Dec 2012, 14:45 »

Isn't the entire point of his reviews to pan the game as hard as possible? I mean, Minecraft wasn't bad but also wasn't good, and Portal 2 which IIRC he liked was pretty much "It isn't as good as the old one".
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #20 on: 08 Dec 2012, 15:05 »

Ben Crowshaw's (sp?) reviews at ZP *are* meant to be more biting and scathing than your usual (the man knows his audience and his humor).

Now so far I really like this one, but then again I've liked them all so, y'know, that doesn't mean much. I'd still say wait until $30-ish though.

ackblom12

« Reply #21 on: 09 Dec 2012, 00:57 »

Are you saying you postponed purchasing it or decided not to purchase it at all?

Postponing.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #22 on: 10 Dec 2012, 06:53 »

Early reports are saying that the next Assassin's Creed is gonna be in Brazil

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #23 on: 11 Dec 2012, 07:48 »

I am officially hot and bothered at the idea of a South American setting.

ackblom12

« Reply #24 on: 11 Dec 2012, 08:08 »

I really wish they'd end the story of Desmond and take a couple years off from the franchise.

ackblom12

« Reply #25 on: 11 Dec 2012, 09:38 »

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #26 on: 11 Dec 2012, 09:44 »

Modern day Brazil would be cool, what with all the ramshackle houses all together, but in the past it seems like another horizontal landscape like in 3

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #27 on: 11 Dec 2012, 09:49 »

perhaps brazil in the 40s/50s?

ackblom12

« Reply #28 on: 11 Dec 2012, 10:00 »

I could have sworn they weren't planning on going into any era that had guns more complex than muskets.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #29 on: 11 Dec 2012, 10:03 »

I know for sure the devs said that Desmond's story is over, but I think with the Desmond missions in AC3 they seem like they want to shed more light on the modern assassins. Guns may be coming eventually.  I am sure the new AC is still in the planning stages.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #30 on: 11 Dec 2012, 11:35 »

So I was in GAME on Sunday, and there are shenanigans with DLC and stuff. Apparently, there's a flintlock musket that you can only get if you buy it in GAME.

Arse.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #31 on: 15 Dec 2012, 18:22 »

Finally got all the homesteaders, and I have to say I hope Conner nails the tailor.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #32 on: 16 Dec 2012, 10:23 »

I enjoyed AssBro, as you kids called it, when I played it at Jens's house - I am actually tempted to get this one, but I can't find it for PC - is it not on PC? I might get one of the older ones for PC instead, the first game is only Ł5 on Amazon.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

ackblom12

« Reply #33 on: 16 Dec 2012, 10:26 »

It's definitely on PC. I don't know much about non–digital availability because I haven't bought a physical disc for PC in years.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #34 on: 16 Dec 2012, 10:32 »

AC3 is on Steam, it's advertising for it all the time. Maybe it's a steam exclusive?
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #35 on: 16 Dec 2012, 13:31 »

I have no idea what Steam is.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #36 on: 16 Dec 2012, 13:34 »

Whatwhatwhatwhatwhat? [/goonshow]

It's an online store, a sort-of-social thing, it has ludicrous sales (I think I've seen 90% off in some). It's a good idea to have a good 'net connection though. Also a big wallet, the sales are great for making you 'misplace' money.

store.steampowered.com
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2012, 13:39 by Pilchard123 »

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #37 on: 16 Dec 2012, 13:57 »

Think I'll wait until it gets cheaper - I don't need to play it right now (I need NOT to play it during the final two terms of my degree...).

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #38 on: 16 Dec 2012, 14:34 »

The AssCreed games suck on PC unless you have a controller you can use to play them. Using a keyboard and mouse is a surefire way to get frustrated.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #39 on: 16 Dec 2012, 15:22 »

I have no idea what Steam is.

To expand - it's a client you have installed on your computer that works as part game shop, part game library - think Itunes, if you buy music through that.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Bev

• Bevs Bollocks
« Reply #40 on: 18 Dec 2012, 03:33 »

Just finished it, and I'm not sure if it's my fav or not, I have to give it time to sink in. I love AC2 because it fixed everything that was wrong with the first game and Ezio was an awesome character, but the storyline was overly confusing and the ending was balls. The story in AC3 is much easier to understand, but Connor is such a boring goody-two-shoes, and the ending this time really is one of the worst in recent memory. I just can't follow the Desmond storyline, it's so over complicated, with 10 minute long monologues from holograms, I just gave up on ever understanding what was going on. Connors story was much better, even if his character was a little weak, there were some great villains and the navals levels kicked arse.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #41 on: 18 Dec 2012, 04:49 »

...man, every time I try to decide which one was the weakest overall, I run into reasons why it can't be. Brotherhood was a little samey, but...introduces Assassin Recruits, and that ending! 1's gameplay is dated compared to its successors, but that story and that setting! Revelations was all "oh great even MORE Ezio", but he was still pretty enjoyable after all! Besides flashback-plays and dashing around Constantinople.

Maybe 2? But I don't really want to commit to that either, a lot of stuff it introduced has stuck around for good reason.

By the way, as to the point about Desmond's story, now I haven't finished 3 (really 5) so I can't speak 100%, but a cursory glance on my part seems to indicate that the buyable extras fix a lot of the holes in the various characters' stories, including the 'present-day' ones.

Bev

• Bevs Bollocks
« Reply #42 on: 18 Dec 2012, 14:28 »

By the way, as to the point about Desmond's story, now I haven't finished 3 (really 5) so I can't speak 100%, but a cursory glance on my part seems to indicate that the buyable extras fix a lot of the holes in the various characters' stories, including the 'present-day' ones.

That's some Mass Effect 3 shit right there, I'm not falling for it. They should have gotten it right the first time since they had years to perfect it.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #43 on: 20 Dec 2012, 06:17 »

Usually they do this shit on purpose. Like 2's time skip near the end, with the intervening years being extras?

I'm often of 2 minds about this this sort of thing. I *like* being able to romp around in a setting and game I like some more, see even more sights, etc. I also like not paying more money.

I sort of think that main plot points should be actually resolved in the main-line story though (
(click to show/hide)
).

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #44 on: 02 Jan 2013, 10:11 »

I got this for Christmas and hell. So far, this sucks. I played through AC2 and Brotherhood and enjoyed the first of these quite a bit more than the other, but still, good stuff. So far I haven't enjoyed this one single bit.

- The graphics were outdated already, so why reuse it? Have they even made any new movement patterns (villagers walking and avoiding you etc) or just changed the buildings and clothes? Like someone mentioned the shadings are seriously off sometimes. They don't look right and they often point completely wrong.
- The main character is the most stony bastard I've seen. I don't want him to win, I want him to get hit by a carriage and drown in the mud. I also don't like how he seems to be a full-fledged assassin from the very start, it makes very little sense to me to do it this way. Not that I want AC2 all over again, it's just that you get no chance to build a connection with a character who's a superman from the beginning.
- Mum walked in when Benjamin Franklin went on about why older women are preferable in bed. Oofah.
- Shaun's humor in the Animus has reached it's lowest point ever, and that's saying a lot. I used to read through all of the place and person descriptions and now I just avoid them. I get that part of the joke is that he should be annoying but this is way beyond my pain threshold.
- It lags and I've died twice because of bugs already. Once on the ship he just went straight up into the air, fell down and died. The other time he went through a wall and somehow got sucked into oblivion I guess. Also, when the Captain on the ship spoke, his mouth was closed. All the time. I honestly thought someone else was doing his talking all the time like some kind of weird puppet joke. But there just seems to be something wrong with my game.

I'm hoping for a better gaming session.. maybe tomorrow. So far though, it has not reached my modest expectations.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #45 on: 02 Jan 2013, 20:04 »

Have you gotten to Ratonhnhaké:ton yet?

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #46 on: 03 Jan 2013, 10:30 »

Nope, didn't get time to play today. Does it get more fun later on?

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #47 on: 03 Jan 2013, 10:43 »

Nope, didn't get time to play today. Does it get more fun later on?
when you finish the British guy's story and start Ratonhnhaké:ton's story things get very interesting indeed!

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #48 on: 03 Jan 2013, 11:16 »

That's good to hear.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #49 on: 03 Jan 2013, 12:02 »

honestly the British guy is pretty much the prologue. Ratonhnhaké:ton and Desmond are pretty much the actual story.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up