THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 00:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And our MOMENT OF THE WEEK was? (Top Three Answers on the board...)

Ready to go? Everyone got their swimsuits?
- 0 (0%)
I don't have a swimsuit. You can borrow one of mine!
- 0 (0%)
Well? I-I can't wear this! Here, lemme see.
- 0 (0%)
No good? TOO good. She looks better in it than I do.
- 2 (2.9%)
Daaaaaaaaang (STOP DANGING AT ME)
- 18 (26.1%)
Four hipsters and a robot in a Ford Fiesta.
- 1 (1.4%)
Where the #### are we? No idea. Momo?
- 0 (0%)
My GPS indicates that we should turn here. You mean THERE?
- 0 (0%)
NO OUTLET. This is a trap, isn't it. Emily's luring us into the woods to hunt us for sport.
- 2 (2.9%)
I'm prepared. (KNIFE OF DOOM!)
- 7 (10.1%)
The lake house. Good thing I didn't invite a thousand people (you don't KNOW 1,000)
- 0 (0%)
Hello? Emily? Anybody home?
- 0 (0%)
Emily - In hockey mask and hatchet! Angus: "Called it."
- 10 (14.5%)
("The big plot twist at the end of QC is that Emily murders everybody, not Hannelore.")
- 2 (2.9%)
JUMP FOR IT, PRIMATE! (Jeph's quitting smoking)
- 5 (7.2%)
Are we the first people here? Gabby's out on the dock (no explanation?)
- 0 (0%)
IS THAT A SUPER NINTENDO? (CRASH)
- 3 (4.3%)
You've met Faye - this is her boyfriend Angus.
- 0 (0%)
...And that's Marigold.
- 1 (1.4%)
I LIKE VIDEO GAMES
- 18 (26.1%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2291-95 (8-12 October 2012) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 69773 times)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

It can only be good that he gives up smoking though, so I send him my best wishes and encouragement for keeping that up.
Yes. I'll take as many filler strips as it takes.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Whilst I'm all for taking care of your health (both in giving up smoking, and in recognising the need for a day off), the suspense is rather uncomfortable. I cannot think of an explanation that makes any sense.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Cudos to Jeph for deciding on giving up paying money to get sick!  :-P

I never understood the appeal.
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Yeah, but you and Eed left the knives at home the second time you came out, right?

I don't think May had a knife either time. I think I left mine in the car the second time.

Didn't we bring a dog the second time?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Whilst I'm all for taking care of your health (both in giving up smoking, and in recognising the need for a day off), the suspense is rather uncomfortable. I cannot think of an explanation that makes any sense.
There's your problem; assuming the explanation has to make sense. There's no actual reason it has to; even basic physics is a bit fluid in QCland.

Cudos to Jeph for deciding on giving up paying money to get sick!  :-P

I never understood the appeal.

It's not exactly an appeal really, or at least the smoke itself isn't at first, but once you've got past the choking and coughing stage as your lungs and throat vainly try to warn you that this shit is terrible the addiction is already starting to set in…
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART

It's not exactly an appeal really, or at least the smoke itself isn't at first, but once you've got past the choking and coughing stage as your lungs and throat vainly try to warn you that this shit is terrible the addiction is already starting to set in…
Yep... never got past that stage and never got the appeal of TRYING to.

It's quite an enigma to me. Then again, even some waterpipes make me cough...

Mothykins

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Spotted Stegasaurothingy

*waves flags that say "Go Jeph" around while cheering* Kick that nicotine's ass~!
Be loud, be proud, and rejoice!

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART

*waves flags that say "Go Jeph" around while cheering* Kick that nicotine's ass~!
Is your avatar smoking something? It just looked like that to me for a second there. °O

(Yay, brain, way to criss-cross my visual and mental imagery!)

Mothykins

Is your avatar smoking something? It just looked like that to me for a second there. °O

(Yay, brain, way to criss-cross my visual and mental imagery!)

xD No, he's got a sword over his far shoulder. The brown thing sticking out the right side of his head is the hilt, and the blade is on the other side.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, he'd prolly be slicing his shoulder in half irl. But that pic was less about realism and more about screwing with colors x3

Rainforce

• Not quite a lurker
  • :D

by the power of all his bonercats combined!

EDIT: WOAH
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2012, 03:45 by Rainforce »

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART

xD No, he's got a sword over his far shoulder. The brown thing sticking out the right side of his head is the hilt, and the blade is on the other side.
[ ... ]
Man, I mistook the sword tip for a pointy ear all those months... °O

But I DO like the avatar. Always a nice dash of color in the grey forum style I use.
(And just now I was told to cease and decist with using pink for font color. No problem at all and I understand why... I'll just miss the color.)

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Strength Jeph, you can do it.  Beat the weed.

Never saw the attraction of sticking burning plant matter between my lips and inhaling, but I know that some do and I know that it is really hard to stay quit.

Do what you have to.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

EDIT: I don't remember there ever being a Halloween arc before, but a fair few of the comics that I read are starting to gear up for late-October weirdness.
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2012, 05:04 by Pilchard123 »
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES

So Rhode Island is the Australia of America?

That is very insulting to Australians.    :-D

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

On the appeal of smoking: the early smokes have a pleasant ephorizing effect, that fades rather quickly as tolerance builds up. The problem is the addiction builds up even quicker, so by the time the pleasure has, if not totally disappeared, become insignificant, you're already addicted.

I really should try again to quit smoking, but I have too much on my mind these days. Last time, I lasted four months before I started smoking again because I was overwhelmed by the stress and frustrations of job hunting.

Anyway, courage, Jeph, and if I can make a suggestion that did help me handle the withdrawal: drink a lot of water. When I had a bout of withdrawal, I guzzled a pint of water, and it somewhat relieved me. Plus, in the long run, I think it helps cleaning your body of the remaining toxins.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

One more thing to thank my dad for. I'd go with him on installation jobs on winter breaks when he was still smoking, and that work van was awful small with its windows rolled up. I developed a strong dislike before it ever occurred to me to start smoking.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

IDK if Jeph will ever read this, but I read (first in a webcomic - which you should all read - though I have heard of it elsewhere) that keeping a load of cigarettes in a jar of water will help. Every time you feel like giving in, take the lid off and sniff it.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

As someone who has attempted to quit smoking a couple time, you have my sympathies, Jeph. Best of luck.

As for the appeal... I dunno, I still like it most times and I've been smoking for over 10 years (since my early teens).  I started smoking as a stress and depression reliever, I suffered crippling depression and PTSD as a teen (and on into my 20s) and smoking helped alleviate it to a degree. It is possible it was just psychosomatic and just worked by giving me something else to focus on. The amount I smoke always fluctuates with how bad my depression gets. Right now I am doing relatively well and barely smoke at all. During the height (or depth) of my illness I was up to two packs a day. Years of therapy later and I barely smoke a pack a week.

The addiction aspect is a huge factor, though, to which I can attest due to the couple of time I actually tried to consciously stop. I never got to the point of not liking it, the times I tried to quit was because I know it isn't good for me, no matter how much I like it.  I do know people who have gotten to the point that they hate it, but they keep doing it because of the addiction.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Never understood the appeal either, even as a stress reliever.  But I guess some stress relievers don't work for others.

Weightlifting and music works for me.  And considering how much people likely blow on smokes in a given week, you could probably easily get a gym membership or get your own weights.  Paying to give yourself possible lung cancer down the line....never understood the desire to even risk that.

That said, amazing tabaco is legal and weed isn't.  Not that I smoke weed, but literally every polisci major I knew in college did.  I'd rather people were able to smoke weed that is far safer than kill themselves with tabaco.

That said, hope Jeph beats it.  Smoking is a nasty business.  Have family friends who have done it in the past. 

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

IIRC, nicotine bonds to nerve receptors in the brain (most noticeably in the hippocampus, the emotion and pleasure-center).  As a result, when the nicotine starts leaving, you feel like crap until those nerves balance back out.  The process takes about fifteen days. 

If you can make it that far, you've beat the physical addiction.  After that, it's just the habit that needs to be broken...

And that's even harder, for some! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

I do music, too. And yoga and meditation. I don't limit myself to one form of stress relief. I have vastly expanded my coping mechanism toolbox as I have gotten older. Music, dancing, sex, skateboarding, and surfing when I get the rare chance. I am pretty versatile. I like to keep my options open.  I started smoking when I was young and thoroughly messed up psychologically and emotionally with very little in the way of a support structure. I definitely would not start now and I would not recommend it to anyone thinking of starting.

I have a daily yoga and meditation routine that has helped significantly. I recommend those way more. The benefits are far less dubious and there are no negatives.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Weightlifting and music works for me.  And considering how much people likely blow on smokes in a given week, you could probably easily get a gym membership or get your own weights.
Yeah, I've started planning my quitting, and I think getting a swimming-pool card would be a good idea. I find weightlifting and jogging rather boring, but I can't get enough of swimming.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Ph2

The best way to get rid of a addiction is to replace it with another addiction. I suggest drawing BonerCats.
Holopony is best pony.

(click to show/hide)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Re: smoking, I only smoke when I drink, and even then only rarely (I'll bum the occasional cigarette, maybe a couple times a month). I don't think I've ever felt the need for a cigarette, and I consider myself extremely lucky.  I don't consider myself a smoker, though.

Also, I support Ph2's suggestion.  And Soulsynger, I appreciate it. It means I don't have to highlight your posts anymore to read them.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened

But wasn't doing that the highlight of your day? 

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

My days are so long, I'm not sure I could select just one highlight.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

All this talk about cigarettes ...

... and not a single butt?!

What is this forum coming to?
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

Well, it obviously depends on each person. I never got the appeal because it just never worked for me as a stress reliever... I find myself smoking at parties though and for some reason I like it a lot.
I just can't let myself buy stuff like that... I enjoy buying cds and other music related stuff way more than any other thing so when I think that I can get a cd instead of 2-3 cigarette boxes... The wish to try it out more than I do at the moment disappears right away.

Blood-Tree

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Must have tree blood!!!

Poor old Jeff, giving up the smokes ain't easy.

I was really looking forward to finding out what Emma-Lee was going to do to Martin, Feigh, Enguss, and Moe2. I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but what did happen to Marygold? Presumably she's travelling with Thai and Dorah? Or maybe Hannalaw?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

It's not too late for Raven to show up. I'd like to see what happens when Emily and Raven are in the same room. Wearing banana smoothies as hats?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Well, it obviously depends on each person. I never got the appeal because it just never worked for me as a stress reliever... I find myself smoking at parties though and for some reason I like it a lot. I just can't let myself buy stuff like that...
This is basically me, I'll smoke one or two at a party or a bar now and again, and I do get something out of it, but I've never bought a pack for myself and don't ever see myself doing so.  (Especially when they're reaching $10 a pack, and even more if I'm in the city)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

All this talk about cigarettes ...

What is this forum coming to?

I wish I thumb this up or like this or whatever.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

You're right. But I was just noting on FB that I can't italicize or bold or do other things to text over there. This forum, the only one in which I participate, has spoiled me.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

A back road, a sign that says "NO OUTLET"...

It's official. Emily lives in Amityville.    10 (5.6%)
No, she's related to the Blair Witch.    7 (3.9%)
Her actual last name is "Azuma da C'thulu" or something.    16 (8.9%)
Don't worry, Faye's got her blade.    28 (15.6%)
And Momo's got her electric shock.    23 (12.8%)

And Marigold's got her Nintendo DS.    15 (8.3%)
I don't remember my Ford Fiesta looking like THAT.    6 (3.3%)
And fitting four people and an AnthroPC? There goes Willing Suspension of Disbelief.    10 (5.6%)
It's actually a quite nice place on the lake. Their neighbor, Beatrice Chatman, thinks so.    8 (4.4%)
Or is it Stephen King?    7 (3.9%)
Worse: It's Tom Clancy.    7 (3.9%)
IT'S A TRAP! It's the script from the new movie, "The Hampshire Hipster Massacre!"    19 (10.6%)
Waffles, Spathe Ham, WE ARE WORKING ON THE TECHNOLOGY, etc.    3 (1.7%)
...But seriously - a Ford Fiesta?    21 (11.7%)

Total Members Voted: 76

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened

I wish I (could) thumb this up ...

That just sounds... wrong. 

Duck, duck, GOOSE!!

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Go Jeph.

Remember it was easy for me, but I'm probably one of those rare people who was able to give up cold turkey after six years of smoking.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Carl-E

• Awakened

My folks both quit cold turkey the day the surgeon general's warning came out in '64. 

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

My dad tried to quit numerous times. He started again each time. It ended up killing him.

Stick with it, Jeph, and never go back.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

That is very insulting to Australians.    :-D
Ah, but Australians take pride in descending from criminals, and corrupt soldiers who were at least as bad as the convicts they guarded. To be descended from a First Fleet convict is like having ancestors who came out on the Mayflower!
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

Really, Super Nintendo?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a strict retro gamer, but SNES isn't exactly rare.

Wagimawr

• Facebook

Probably less about rarity and more about nostalgia.

That said, I would totally be THAT PERSON at somebody else's house.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Ah, but Australians take pride in descending from criminals, and corrupt soldiers who were at least as bad as the convicts they guarded. To be descended from a First Fleet convict is like having ancestors who came out on the Mayflower!

This would be less funny if it weren't absolutely true.  :lol:
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

So, will Emily's initial appearance be explained next week, or will it be left in the background to worry us subliminally for the next few weeks?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Toe

• Obscure cultural reference

You'd think Marigold (likely via Momo) would have every emulator/ROM out there already.

NoOne3

• Not quite a lurker

You'd think Marigold (likely via Momo) would have every emulator/ROM out there already.
Maybe she's really into anti-piracy policy.

Either way I think she should spell it "vidya", being a nerd as she is and all...

Mothykins

Maybe she's really into anti-piracy policy.

I'd think a ROM/EMU and the real deal would be totally different experiences. I mean, you've got the game and all on one hand, but you're not actually playing the game on the console.

AND OHGODS SHE JUST IMMERSED HERSELF IN GAMES X'D

/dies

Aegir

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

Faye and Marigold look exactly the same.  Jeph should at least have them wearing different glasses.

Rainforce

• Not quite a lurker
  • :D

Really, Super Nintendo?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a strict retro gamer, but SNES isn't exactly rare.
well, they have robots and everything already, maybe it's further in the past for them OR things just evolve faster and get unpopular faster or any other random excuse, really : D

also somebody stop her, she might drown in the ocean of cartridges otherwise...

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Faye and Marigold look exactly the same.

Apart from the different colour, length and style of their hair; completely different nose shape; Marigold's zits...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

So, will Emily's initial appearance be explained next week, or will it be left in the background to worry us subliminally for the next few weeks?

Background, and since we've called it, there will be 4 panels of exposition on Monday.

Or Not.

Mar-bear's geeking out, but it won't go beyond cute unless she starts rubbing herself with cartridges.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up