THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And our MOMENT OF THE WEEK was? (Top Three Answers on the board...)

Ready to go? Everyone got their swimsuits?
- 0 (0%)
I don't have a swimsuit. You can borrow one of mine!
- 0 (0%)
Well? I-I can't wear this! Here, lemme see.
- 0 (0%)
No good? TOO good. She looks better in it than I do.
- 2 (2.9%)
Daaaaaaaaang (STOP DANGING AT ME)
- 18 (26.1%)
Four hipsters and a robot in a Ford Fiesta.
- 1 (1.4%)
Where the #### are we? No idea. Momo?
- 0 (0%)
My GPS indicates that we should turn here. You mean THERE?
- 0 (0%)
NO OUTLET. This is a trap, isn't it. Emily's luring us into the woods to hunt us for sport.
- 2 (2.9%)
I'm prepared. (KNIFE OF DOOM!)
- 7 (10.1%)
The lake house. Good thing I didn't invite a thousand people (you don't KNOW 1,000)
- 0 (0%)
Hello? Emily? Anybody home?
- 0 (0%)
Emily - In hockey mask and hatchet! Angus: "Called it."
- 10 (14.5%)
("The big plot twist at the end of QC is that Emily murders everybody, not Hannelore.")
- 2 (2.9%)
JUMP FOR IT, PRIMATE! (Jeph's quitting smoking)
- 5 (7.2%)
Are we the first people here? Gabby's out on the dock (no explanation?)
- 0 (0%)
IS THAT A SUPER NINTENDO? (CRASH)
- 3 (4.3%)
You've met Faye - this is her boyfriend Angus.
- 0 (0%)
...And that's Marigold.
- 1 (1.4%)
I LIKE VIDEO GAMES
- 18 (26.1%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2291-95 (8-12 October 2012) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 69753 times)

Bellerophon

Wait, what are those - oohhhh.

North American SNES carts were weird.

Then again, so were North American SNESes.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

The drinking water as displacement thing is a good trick for any addiction - it's how I try to avoid comfort eating. It doesn't work consistently because sometimes I just want to eat and damn the fact that I don't need to.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Earin

• Plantmonster

Wait, what are those - oohhhh.

North American SNES carts were weird.

Then again, so were North American SNESes.

They look more like Master System carts to me.

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building

Were there more designs to SNES carts? I know the SNES got a redesign late in its product cycle (Sega Genesis got two), but wasn't aware of cart redesigns.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
Carpe Diem

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Heh!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

EnriqueAcosta

• Not quite a lurker

Don't care don't care don't care get to the bathing suits!

StevenC

• Furry furrier

Were there more designs to SNES carts? I know the SNES got a redesign late in its product cycle (Sega Genesis got two), but wasn't aware of cart redesigns.
American
European

Or old/new, I don't know, the first SNES and SNES games I saw were in 1996.

Ph2

• Balloon animal serial killer

They look a bit more like N64 cartridges to me, due to the label taking up most of the cartridge. Also, I can definitely make out a triforce, but I have no idea what the rest are.
Holopony is best pony.

(click to show/hide)

StevenC

• Furry furrier

Nah, they're American SNES cartridges alright. N64 had a rounded top.

Truec

• Furry furrier

Who the hell keeps their cartridges in a plastic tub?  You leave them stacked on a shelf to gather dust so you can complain when they don't work and you have to blow the dust out of them.  It's tradition!

Ph2

Nah, they're American SNES cartridges alright. N64 had a rounded top.

Ya, but the SNES cartridges have a tiny little label, the N64 ones cover up a decent section of the actual cartridge.
Holopony is best pony.

(click to show/hide)

ink slinger

• Obscure cultural reference

I can definitely make out a triforce, but I have no idea what the rest are.

There appears to be a copy of Super Metroid in the pile. Doesn't look quite like the real cover, but it definitely looks like Samus in her power suit.

Precipice

• Not quite a lurker

Yes, it was one of several things Nintendo did to enforce regional restrictions. Japan and Europe got rounded cartridges, North America got rectangular cartridges. See the SNES page on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNES#Regional_lockout

Rainforce

• Not quite a lurker
  • :D

Yes, it was one of several things Nintendo did to enforce regional restrictions. Japan and Europe got rounded cartridges, North America got rectangular cartridges. See the SNES page on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNES#Regional_lockout
that's...interesting to know. Although I don't get why they removed the colors from the american version and replaced them with shades of gray and purple.

ink slinger

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

A back road, a sign that says "NO OUTLET"...

It's official. Emily lives in Amityville.    11 (6%)
No, she's related to the Blair Witch.    7 (3.8%)
Her actual last name is "Azuma da C'thulu" or something.    16 (8.7%)
Don't worry, Faye's got her blade.    28 (15.3%)
And Momo's got her electric shock.    24 (13.1%)

And Marigold's got her Nintendo DS.    15 (8.2%)
I don't remember my Ford Fiesta looking like THAT.    6 (3.3%)
And fitting four people and an AnthroPC? There goes Willing Suspension of Disbelief.    10 (5.5%)
It's actually a quite nice place on the lake. Their neighbor, Beatrice Chatman, thinks so.    8 (4.4%)
Or is it Stephen King?    7 (3.8%)
Worse: It's Tom Clancy.    7 (3.8%)
IT'S A TRAP! It's the script from the new movie, "The Hampshire Hipster Massacre!"    19 (10.4%)
Waffles, Spathe Ham, WE ARE WORKING ON THE TECHNOLOGY, etc.    3 (1.6%)
...But seriously - a Ford Fiesta?    22 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 77

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Heh

Marigold - The gamer version of Scrooge McDuck
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

I hate regional lockout stuff unless there is an extremely good reason. If there is content in the game that is illegal in country X, then fine, lock out that section. Otherwise, let me play my game. Why does buying a game in Europe mean that I can't play it in Japan?

(Added a / -Method)
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2012, 15:08 by Method of Madness »
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Toe

Heh

Marigold - The gamer version of Scrooge McDuck

So while everybody else is swimming in the lake, Marigold will literally be swimming in cartridges?

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

As long as she wears a swimsuit I have no objections.

Like, at all.

ChaosWolf

Faye and Marigold look exactly the same.

Apart from the different colour, length and style of their hair; completely different nose shape; Marigold's zits...

I misread that "z" as a "t" on first glance...

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Wishful thinking.   
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

pendrake

• Curry sauce

For comic #2295...

1. A bit late in saying, but wall-picture of young Emily is quite cute.

2. I expect the "lake party" story-arc to go on for a while, especially since Jeph is in the process of giving up smoking, though probably not as long as the "QC in space" arc.  So while I expect more guest & filler strips, I also completely understand if these things occur.

3. Oh gods...  Super NES, one of the major players of the early Console Wars.  So much nostalgia, and yet also featured hallmarks of video-game history.  My personal and memorable favorites...

- a. Chrono Trigger (#1).  Lauded as the best of the Chrono-series.  Chrono Trigger was notable for its non-linear storyline (time travel!) & various optional quests which affected the myriad possible ending(s).  Think Mass Effect #3 on 16-bit graphics, but with more than 3 endings and most of the endings very satisfying to the players (even the "evil" endings).  I spent months playing & replaying to see all the endings, and enjoyed them all.

- b. Final Fantasy #6 (JAP) / #3 (US).  Second only to the more widely acclaimed Final Fantasy #7 in the FF-series, Final Fantasy #6 was tale so epic in length and story-telling, that when the Apocalypse occurs and passes, that only marks the first-third of the game.  A evocative soundtrack despite using a simple MIDI.  A wide cast of playable characters, each with a story to tell & learn.

There was an opera scene that was both heart-touching & (later in-scene) hilarious; when the rakish but noble-souled thief jumped in to romance the beautiful clone-general away from the amorous & vengeful advances of the giant talking octopus.  [....what?  it's opera].  I played the Final Fantasy #6 to its maximum time & levels without regret.

Oh, and my personal topmost favorite characters amid the wide playable cast were the twin crown-prince brothers, one of whom sacrificed his own personal freedom & dreams for his twin's, by "cheating" his brother out of a king's crown (& its heavy responsibilites) that neither brother wanted to bear, via a coin toss with a double-sided coin.

- c. the Legend of Zelda (#3): A Link to the Past.  A hero's journey & struggle across two parallel worlds, begun with a special "soulmate" bond between the young nephew (Link) of an elderly swordsman, and a desperate princess (Zelda).  A bittersweet ending for the hero Link and princess Zelda, because despite having defeated the evil overlord (Ganon) and restoring both worlds and the lives lost, the soulmates are tragically separated by the gulf of parallel worlds in the end.

- d. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars.  Taking most of the Super Mario Bros. cast into a "traditional" RPG setting, most players never understood the game was actually a tongue-in-cheek comedy-adventure rather than the "standard" RPG theme(s).  Super Mario RPG parodied & spoofed many other popular RPGs of its time, and poor Mario was the butt of many a joke and pseudo-abuse.  I had a lot of good laughs playing through.

- e. Super Metroid.  A strong female action-hero (Samus Aran) years before Lara Croft strut across PlayStation-1 video screens with her large pair of...guns.  I even felt a bit sad when she had to fight the baby metroid alien that imprinted on her (forcibly grown to giant monster size by the bad guys), which later sacrificed itself to protect Samus from the end-boss.
« Last Edit: 28 Oct 2012, 14:50 by pendrake »

Ph2

For comic #2295...

2. I expect the "lake party" story-arc to go on for a while, especially since Jeph is in the process of giving up smoking, though probably not as long as the "QC in space" arc.  So while I expect more guest & filler strips, I also completely understand if these things occur.

The space arc lasted 61 strips, but since this arc has a much larger cast (well, actually smaller, but Ol' Jephy-Boy didn't focus on the other scientists) so it will probably last a lot longer. My money is on 500 strips.

Also, Marigold's hair today is really similar to strip 2107 except it is pigtails and not a ponytail. Is this her "party time" hairstyle?
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2012, 21:18 by Ph2 »
Holopony is best pony.

(click to show/hide)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I can, just barely, imagine Marigold preparing for a party by washing her hair. Actually doing anything with it? Unlikely.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

I read somewhere that the size of Lara Croft's...guns (what is is this, Dracula?) was either a mistake or a prank by one of the office monkeys that got kept when everyone else saw it.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

I can, just barely, imagine Marigold preparing for a party by washing her hair. Actually doing anything with it? Unlikely.

Well, to be fair, doing something fancy with your hair when you plan to go swimming seems a bit pointless.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

And our MOMENT OF THE WEEK was? (Top Three Answers on the board...)

Ready to go? Everyone got their swimsuits?    0 (0%)
I don't have a swimsuit. You can borrow one of mine!    0 (0%)
Well? I-I can't wear this! Here, lemme see.    0 (0%)
No good? TOO good. She looks better in it than I do.    1 (1.9%)
Daaaaaaaaang (STOP DANGING AT ME)    14 (26.4%)
Four hipsters and a robot in a Ford Fiesta.    1 (1.9%)
Where the #### are we? No idea. Momo?    0 (0%)
My GPS indicates that we should turn here. You mean THERE?    0 (0%)
NO OUTLET. This is a trap, isn't it. Emily's luring us into the woods to hunt us for sport.    2 (3.8%)
I'm prepared. (KNIFE OF DOOM!)    5 (9.4%)
The lake house. Good thing I didn't invite a thousand people (you don't KNOW 1,000)    0 (0%)
Hello? Emily? Anybody home?    0 (0%)
Emily - In hockey mask and hatchet! Angus: "Called it."    8 (15.1%)
("The big plot twist at the end of QC is that Emily murders everybody, not Hannelore.")    0 (0%)
JUMP FOR IT, PRIMATE! (Jeph's quitting smoking)    5 (9.4%)
Are we the first people here? Gabby's out on the dock (no explanation?)    0 (0%)
IS THAT A SUPER NINTENDO? (CRASH)    3 (5.7%)
You've met Faye - this is her boyfriend Angus.    0 (0%)
...And that's Marigold.    1 (1.9%)
I LIKE VIDEO GAMES    13 (24.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened

Well, to be fair, doing something fancy with your hair when you plan to go swimming seems a bit pointless.

True, but "putting it up" so it doesn't end a tangled mess isn't a bad idea.  Pigtails may be her preferred swimming hairstyle.  My own daughters tended towards braiding each other's hair in the car on the way to the lake / ocean / pool. 

ChaosWolf

I read somewhere that the size of Lara Croft's...guns (what is is this, Dracula?) was either a mistake or a prank by one of the office monkeys that got kept when everyone else saw it.

http://didyouknowgaming.com/post/23252696050
It was one of those throw-it-in type mistakes.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Pigtails may be her preferred swimming hairstyle.
Or maybe she figured out she looks good with pigtails. Okay, given her self-esteem, "kinda okay".
But she looks damn fine with pigtails. Step by step, she might be building her own personal attractiveness, without falling into beautiful all along territory.

And I'm curious about how she'll look in a swimsuit.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Or maybe she figured out she looks good with pigtails. Okay, given her self-esteem, "kinda okay".
But she looks damn fine with pigtails. Step by step, she might be building her own personal attractiveness, without falling into beautiful all along territory.

Which, of course, she doesn't believe for one moment.
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

There is a sliver of opening to the idea. She blushed when Angus said she was pretty and was delighted when people said so at The Horrible Revelation.

If Momo is cooking for her and taking her on walks she may begin to see a difference.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Which, of course, she doesn't believe for one moment.
Yeah, that's what I was alluding to. What I mean is that there are more realistic ways for her to be more alluring.

Then again, to say the least, she doesn't try very hard. Most of the time she doesn't try at all. She looked nice in that white dress, although I personally find it too generic, not really conveying of who she is. One's outfit should be a statement, lest it just be superficial.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Ph2

There is a sliver of opening to the idea. She blushed when Angus said she was pretty and was delighted when people said so at The Horrible Revelation.

If Momo is cooking for her and taking her on walks she may begin to see a difference.

I think Momo did it is now a pretty reasonable explanation for anything weird that happens to Marigold/Marigold does.
Holopony is best pony.

(click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up