THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 03:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Android  (Read 89280 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
Android
« on: 12 Oct 2012, 11:57 »

Anyone have a phone running Android? What type of phone do you have, and what flavor is it running?

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note running Jelly Bean (4.1.2) via CyanogenMod 10.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
Re: Android
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2012, 12:02 »

I have a Droid X2 with Honeycomb 2.3.5. I also own an Acer A500 with ICS 4.0.3.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2012, 12:24 »

Ooh, CyanogenMod. Do you have a stable release or something more experimental? How's it work compared to a stable release?

As you're probably aware, I have a Google Galaxy Nexus on Jelly Bean 4.1.1, on the standard operating system. I tried the latest MIUI release, and even though I really liked the features, its interface was overhauled a bit too drastically for my taste, and it was waaay slower than stock Jelly Bean. I got the impression that JB is also snappier than ICS, but I haven't switched between the two since updating so I can't really compare. That's also why I haven't tried CM yet, because the latest stable release is of 9.1.0, and I wasn't comfortable with installing an incomplete version. So I'm compromising with stock JB and a custom launcher: first ADW Launcher, and then GO Launcher, which has some really great features.

Any suggestions for applications? I once saw someone with a weather application that showed the chance of rain in a histogram based on their current location, and I'd like to get that. For the rest, there seem to be astonishingly few applications on Google Play that aren't completely superfluous or simply time-wasters. I could use some things that make this smartphone less dumb. Like the swiss army knife, I like that one.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2012, 12:44 »

I don't think I'd go with CM if I had a Nexus, since it's just pure Android. I was sick of Touchwiz, and finally went for CM10 the other day. What's cool is in addition to nightly builds, they have monthly builds, which are considerably more stable. I haven't had any issues, and really like it so far.  There's also the fact that without CM, I'd still have ICS for quite some time.  I liked ICS since I got it in April (thanks to a leak of the official ICS that gave it to me three months before AT&T pushed it out), but I wanted to try JB and this seemed the best way to do so.

Ultimately, though, what made me finally decide to take the plunge into CM? I can now go into the About Phone menu and upgrade from there. You don't have to flash the new build, it's as simple as official upgrades...well, I'd think.  I never actually had an official upgrade.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2012, 13:25 »

Hah, me neither! My carrier also wasn't bothered to upgrade mine, so I just pulled the factory ROM off the internet and flashed it. Depending on your model, you could probably do the same. I noticed the monthly builds as well, I see they just added a second one, so I'll probably go try that. Their feature list looks very impressive, I hope it's mostly complete in the most recent version.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

ackblom12

« Reply #5 on: 12 Oct 2012, 15:18 »

I've got a HTC One S running ICS 4.0.4. Since this model of phone has no SD Card slot, I've been having some problems rooting it via the suggested manner, since it refuses to boot into the proper mode. I'd love to root it and give root access to Tasker, as well as be prepared for the Jellybean ROM that will get ported over, but alas.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #6 on: 12 Oct 2012, 22:37 »

Hah, me neither! My carrier also wasn't bothered to upgrade mine, so I just pulled the factory ROM off the internet and flashed it. Depending on your model, you could probably do the same. I noticed the monthly builds as well, I see they just added a second one, so I'll probably go try that. Their feature list looks very impressive, I hope it's mostly complete in the most recent version.
I'm using the Galaxy Note, which while new, still hasn't had an official version of Jelly Bean leak yet, unlike the S3.  It's funny, though, I hear Samsung talk about how they've sold millions of Notes, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone with one, and I run into people all the time who've never seen one other than mine.  As for CM10, the second monthly I downloaded the other day upgraded me to 4.1.2, which is the newest version for any phone. I think I'm going to stick with monthlies for now.

Also, it should be pointed out, when the official ICS for my Note leaked back in April, I'm pretty sure there wasn't a stable CM9 build for it yet.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2012, 09:01 »

I was thinking of getting an android tablet for my wife for christmas, she's been wanting one for a while.  There's a cheap one available at a local store (it's actually a flip screen tabled/netbook), but I know nothing about android. 

How's android as a computer OS in general (rather than as just a phone OS), instead of one of the major OS's (Windows/Apple)?  Are there any serious drawbacks/advantages? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #8 on: 13 Oct 2012, 12:51 »

I love my tablet. But it's just not the same as a laptop or netbook, and it's not going to be. It's basically a large smartphone, with all the pros and cons of a smartphone. Mine has a full size USB port which is pretty awesome, because it means I can connect thumb drives to it directly. But, as far as I know, most tablets do not have this.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2012, 13:16 »

Yeah, Android is basically this:
Pros: Connectivity
Cons: Productivity

Which is to say, it's good as a phone/web browser/navigator but don't expect to do any work on it. It doesn't even have its own file manager, and accessing files outside of the storage directory is almost made impossible. I recently tried some audio recording applications, and the resulting 150+ MB files were, inconceivably, nowhere to be found when my phone was connected to my computer. I'd be staring right at them on my phone's screen, and my computer would just show an empty folder.

I've never used a tablet myself, so I can't provide a definitive judgement, but if I needed a tablet/netbook hybrid (tabletbook?) I'd go with a Windows-based one. It's just way more versatile, and I'd willingly sacrifice however much ease of use Android provides for touch-based devices.

ackblom12

« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2012, 13:30 »

Oh see, I've never had issues at all concerning file recognition on my Android devices, though I'd never bother with syncing the files over since drag and drop seems to be both more consistent and easier. That mixed with a proper and free file manager makes it a pretty simple thing. Also, rooting tends to be fairly easy if that's a thing you're interested in, which makes all of those function much better.

Though yeah, never assume this is a laptop or netbook replacement. Stuff like Evernote and Google Docs goes a long ways towards putting them down the path though.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #11 on: 13 Oct 2012, 18:39 »

It's basically a large smartphone, with all the pros and cons of a smartphone.
Honestly, this is why I love my Note. It is a large smartphone, but it's not significantly smaller than some tablets. I have no use for a full-size tablet, and a 7" one seems like a waste when I always have my phone on me. (Battery life could be much better, of course)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #12 on: 14 Oct 2012, 01:48 »

For me, having the iPhone always on me easily trumps the ease of use of any larger tablet.

My wife, being used to carrying a handbag large enough to hold an iPad, feels the opposite.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #13 on: 14 Oct 2012, 15:06 »

Anyone have a phone running Android? What type of phone do you have, and what flavor is it running?

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note running Jelly Bean (4.1.2) via CyanogenMod 10.

I have a T-Mobile MyTouch Slide 3G running CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7). Last I checked, there were no more recent versions available for my phone.

Yeah, Android is basically this:
Pros: Connectivity
Cons: Productivity

Which is to say, it's good as a phone/web browser/navigator but don't expect to do any work on it. It doesn't even have its own file manager, and accessing files outside of the storage directory is almost made impossible. I recently tried some audio recording applications, and the resulting 150+ MB files were, inconceivably, nowhere to be found when my phone was connected to my computer. I'd be staring right at them on my phone's screen, and my computer would just show an empty folder.

I've never used a tablet myself, so I can't provide a definitive judgement, but if I needed a tablet/netbook hybrid (tabletbook?) I'd go with a Windows-based one. It's just way more versatile, and I'd willingly sacrifice however much ease of use Android provides for touch-based devices.

There are file managers available on the Android Market/Google Play/whatever it's called this week, if your phone's manufacturer's ROM doesn't include one. Astro is the one I used before I installed CyanogenMod (which comes with its own file manager), and it's pretty good.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #14 on: 14 Oct 2012, 17:29 »

I need to look into that. I tried downloading some pics onto mine, only to find that they were nowhere to be found.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #15 on: 15 Oct 2012, 04:45 »

I'm guessing your gallery app just didn't recognize them? I use QuickPic which I like because it scans my whole computer for image files, and then you can exclude folders of, say, icons that you don't want to see on a daily basis.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #16 on: 15 Oct 2012, 10:47 »

Okay, so does anyone know how to stop background applications like Play Store and Maps from running when you didn't ask them to? They just won't stop showing up in my task manager.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #17 on: 15 Oct 2012, 10:59 »

I use Easy Task Killer, and put the widget on one of my homescreens. Then I can end all that crap anytime I want to. My task manager includes an auto end option, but it doesn't seem to work all that well.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #18 on: 15 Oct 2012, 11:29 »

I've got that on my homescreen as well (Advanced Task Killer) but it sometimes shows applications I'm not using in green, which means that they're currently being used; I can't end them if they are. Green tasks are usually associated with homescreen widgets. I guess Play Store is active in order to check for updates, but I don't see why Maps has to keep showing up. Google Talk is like that as well, even though I've never, ever used it.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #19 on: 18 Oct 2012, 10:06 »

It's just a thing that Android does - run a bunch of apps it thinks you use when you don't actually want them. Easy Task Killer seems to be able to close apps that are in use, maybe that would help? You can't do much to stop them from running on their own, though, aside from rooting your phone.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #20 on: 19 Oct 2012, 04:22 »

My phone's already rooted, and I still don't know how to restrict them.

Hmm. Yesterday I got a notification of a system update that was available for the stock operating system on my phone. It told me to restart to apply the update, and when I did, ROM Manager started up in recovery mode to ask if it was okay to install an unknown zip. I guess that meant the update, so I said Yes, but then it ran the update in question and produced an error message. After rebooting again, everything just worked, so I'm not sure whether anything has been changed. The icon for application updates has changed, though, so I guess that means something happened?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #21 on: 19 Oct 2012, 10:54 »

Go to settings>About phone. What does it say under "Android version"?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #22 on: 19 Oct 2012, 10:55 »

4.1.1, same as before.

Any idea where Android puts the update package it downloaded?
« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2012, 11:09 by LTK »

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #23 on: 19 Oct 2012, 11:33 »

No idea, I've never actually had a normal update. My phone came with Gingerbread (2.3.3, I believe), then I manually installed the leaked ICS (4.0.3) then had that until I manually installed CM10 (4.1.1), and then I used their OTA system which brought me up to 4.1.2.

Honestly if you have 4.1.1, you're ok, there's not much of a difference, just be glad you have Jelly Bean.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #24 on: 19 Oct 2012, 16:29 »

You guys sound like a bunch of Mac users. 

Or worse, Linux...    :-P :-D
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #25 on: 19 Oct 2012, 16:31 »

What, because of all the operating system jargon?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #26 on: 19 Oct 2012, 16:55 »

Heh!  I can make Windows sound like that as well, I assure you.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #27 on: 19 Oct 2012, 20:29 »

Well.....you know.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #28 on: 19 Oct 2012, 22:20 »

You guys sound like a bunch of Mac users. 

Don't mac users use iPhones? But yeah, my laptop runs Windows 7, and I have absolutely no desire to switch to Windows 8.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #29 on: 01 Nov 2012, 14:32 »

I was wondering why the moon and the star next to it were moving together. So I checked Google Sky Map on my phone, and the star turns out to be Jupiter! Awesome.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #30 on: 14 Nov 2012, 16:45 »

Alright!  The stable version of CM 10 came out today!  Hopefully my phone stops resetting now that it's the stable version.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #31 on: 15 Nov 2012, 05:03 »

Does google sign-on work? I installed the monthly build last week and couldn't get onto my account.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #32 on: 15 Nov 2012, 06:35 »

Not sure. You should download the upgrade, you don't have to flash it, just update it from settings.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #33 on: 15 Nov 2012, 11:56 »

No, I reverted to my stock rom immediately after. But I installed the stable version now, and it still doesn't have the option to log on to google. The options for accounts are E-mail and Corporate, and I don't think either will restore my message history or give access to the application market.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #34 on: 15 Nov 2012, 20:13 »

Oh! I just realized what you mean, you have to flash the Google apps separately!  That is, flash the ROM, then flash the Gapps, then restart.  I've been logged into Google (and using the Play Store) just fine on both the monthly and the stable CM10.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ackblom12

« Reply #35 on: 15 Nov 2012, 20:16 »

I finally got around to rooting and installing CM10 Stable on my HTC One S. Feels so much better than the stock ROM.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #36 on: 16 Nov 2012, 01:26 »

Oh! I just realized what you mean, you have to flash the Google apps separately!  That is, flash the ROM, then flash the Gapps, then restart.  I've been logged into Google (and using the Play Store) just fine on both the monthly and the stable CM10.
Okay, how do I do that?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #37 on: 16 Nov 2012, 04:18 »

You flash it the exact same way you flashed the CM10 ROM, except you don't have to do any of the other steps. Just flash it.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #38 on: 16 Nov 2012, 04:42 »

What I meant to ask is how do I get the additional google applications? They have to come in a zip file, don't they?

Ah, never mind, found 'em. Need to flex my google-fu more, I suppose.

Aaand it's done. Contacts and calendar are there, though my message history isn't, but that doesn't matter. Thanks!

I love how I can do all this stuff on the train ride home. Keeps me busy, at least.
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2012, 06:53 by LTK »

ackblom12

« Reply #39 on: 16 Nov 2012, 08:22 »

Now you can look at the Tasker app and see how automated you can make your phone.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #40 on: 16 Nov 2012, 12:20 »

Ooh, I like the look of that. Let's see if I can figure out how it works.

ackblom12

« Reply #41 on: 16 Nov 2012, 12:22 »

It's pretty ridiculous how much more streamlined and efficient it makes a smartphone if you put some time into it.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #42 on: 16 Nov 2012, 12:50 »

Might as well try the 7-day trial.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #43 on: 16 Nov 2012, 13:05 »

Alright, I'm not sure at all what to do with this.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ackblom12

« Reply #44 on: 16 Nov 2012, 13:10 »

Check out the wiki. You are basically doing some rather simple programming of apps and features of the phone. So you can do something like make your music player come on when you plug in your headphones, or have GPS automatically turn on when you open your maps app. Maybe have it turn sound off when you leave the pone face down. These are some of the simplest things I can name. If you get deeper into it you can have it do some ridiculous stuff.

Here is the wiki along with some example profiles.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #45 on: 16 Nov 2012, 13:53 »

Here is the wiki along with some example profiles.

"DOCK - Act like a docking station when plugged into USB"

YES.

...Okay, by copy-pasting some existing commands - I haven't quite figured out how to do it myself - I created some tasks that turn on wifi when my gps determines that I am at my parents' house or the university. That's a start.

So far I haven't spent a single cent on applications for my phone, but I can see myself coughing up some cash to be able to keep using this one.
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2012, 14:47 by LTK »

ackblom12

« Reply #46 on: 16 Nov 2012, 21:47 »

Once you've got a few basic and common things working for a few days, try using a phone without those things automated. It feels ridiculously clunky.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #47 on: 17 Nov 2012, 13:10 »

I wanted to get the task that disables pin protection when you're at home, but there doesn't seem to be an optionfor that. Anyone figured that out? Is the WidgetLocker required?

What I did manage to do is to modify the pre-made Docker script to enable auto-rotate along with the Clock screensaver application, so that I can prop up the phone and use it as a clock without it going to sleep automatically. Now I want to make an application-specific script that makes the time-to-sleep longer when the browser or the pdf reader is active.
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2012, 15:25 by LTK »

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #48 on: 17 Nov 2012, 16:40 »

Has anyone tried a third party battery? The stock battery on my Note is atrocious.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ackblom12

Re: Re: Android
« Reply #49 on: 17 Nov 2012, 16:49 »

What I did manage to do is to modify the pre-made Docker script to enable auto-rotate along with the Clock screensaver application, so that I can prop up the phone and use it as a clock without it going to sleep automatically. Now I want to make an application-specific script that makes the time-to-sleep longer when the browser or the pdf reader is active.

You're getting sucked in... exxxcellent.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up