THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 00:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Android  (Read 89263 times)

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
Re: Android
« Reply #250 on: 14 Feb 2014, 00:31 »

The NSA.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #251 on: 14 Feb 2014, 08:13 »

God damn it, now it's restarting on its own.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #252 on: 14 Feb 2014, 13:32 »

Taking the battery out worked, at least so far. Huzzah!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #253 on: 15 Feb 2014, 04:40 »

The advantage of having a Samsnug phone. I couldn't take out my battery if I wanted.

100 internets for the person who tells me where "Samsnug" is from.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #254 on: 15 Feb 2014, 11:31 »

Specifically - no idea; but it's the exact kind of thing that is widely done in anime to avoid being charged for using trade marks, so I'd be confident that it's been done in some even if that's not what you have in mind (computers running Mindows is a common one as well)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #255 on: 15 Feb 2014, 12:05 »

The advantage of having a Samsnug phone. I couldn't take out my battery if I wanted.

100 internets for the person who tells me where "Samsnug" is from.
I bought a Samsung tablet for my mom. The one time it froze up and so I tried to solve it by taking out the battery... and then found out I couldn't take out the battery. I ended up finding out you could hard-shutdown it by holding the power button for 60 seconds, though.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #256 on: 15 Feb 2014, 12:58 »

Specifically - no idea; but it's the exact kind of thing that is widely done in anime to avoid being charged for using trade marks, so I'd be confident that it's been done in some even if that's not what you have in mind (computers running Mindows is a common one as well)

But it's exactly what I had in mind:

(click to show/hide)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #257 on: 15 Feb 2014, 16:12 »

OK, yes I recognise that, of course - just look at many of my avis - though I didn't recall it as where I'd seen it (I was thinking of actual Japanese manga/anime at the time, though I do class Scott Pilgrim in the same category).

"Don't break up with me while I'm out, okay?" is a brilliant line.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #258 on: 15 Feb 2014, 16:34 »

I didn't think Samsung devices would be finicky about letting you taking out the battery. My Galaxy Nexus certainly isn't.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #259 on: 15 Feb 2014, 16:44 »

Maybe it's just tablets, I think all their phones have removable batteries.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Coffee_Kaioken

• Furry furrier
« Reply #260 on: 17 Feb 2014, 13:12 »

What I did like about Samsung phones/tablets is the AllShare functionality, provided you also happen to have a Samsung SmartTV. I tried the Galaxy Tab 3 (8.0), but barely used it aside from the occasional torrenting.

My problem with the Samsung Galaxy S4 - when I used to have that - along with the Tab 3 was the wi-fi reliability. It would connect, then drop, then re-connect, then drop. That and after about 5 minutes of use, apps would lag. I've heard from other Android users that this is mostly due to Samsung's TouchWiz overlay, and that Nexus might be a better way to go.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #261 on: 17 Feb 2014, 13:20 »

I pretty much never use wifi on my Galaxy S3, but I'm lucky enough to live in an area with decent mobile data and a grandfathered unlimited data plan :parrot:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #262 on: 25 Feb 2014, 11:52 »

Ok, so after this thread has been alive for a year and a half, I finally have a reason to use it! I'm jumping on the smartphone bandwagon finally and have a few options. I'm hoping that some of you might have experience using one or more of the phones I'm looking at and can recommend something for me because I'm clueless and I don't think we have a general "phone" thread so this is as close as I can get without making a thread specifically asking for help buying a phone.

I've narrowed it down to 4. I'm currently looking at the following Droids: Ultra, Razr M and Mini. I'm also looking at the iPhone 4s because it's the only iPhone that Verizon is offering for free and I don't make enough money to be paying $200 for a cellphone. (edited to add- the 4s is 3G while the Droids are 4G. Does this REALLY make a big difference? I'm only getting a 1GB data plan so I won't be using it that much)

I did the fancy comparison chart thing on the website and came to a few different conclusions- the Ultra and Mini have some serious battery life and 16gb of storage. Those are both pluses. The Razr M has removable memory which I definitely enjoy. I like the prospect of being able to move my stuff if/when I get a new phone but I don't think it's a high priority. The iPhone is tempting simply because I could pop any music into it that I want right from iTunes (and because everyone I know with an iPhone loves it to pieces. it's almost scary).

I'm leaning towards the Ultra, but seriously? Every Droid Verizon has to offer is friggin' HUGE. The Ultra is an inch longer and a half inch wider than the iPhone. I don't know if I could deal with that big of a change. My current phone feels huge (the dreaded enV Touch) and it's smaller than anything I'm looking at now. I'm thinking about going to a store to check out how a few of them handle but wanted some feedback from someone who might have used one (or more) for a while.

Really, I just want something that isn't going to crap out and piss me off. My current phone randomly turns itself off (or on), drops calls, fizzles its display and is generally a big ol' pain in my ass. Husband blames all of that on the fact that I keep it in my purse and it gets jostled around. I think my phone is just a douche. (It turns itself off when it's sitting on my desk, untouched). But, perhaps durability should be a factor as well......

Please help!
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2014, 11:57 by lepetitfromage »
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #263 on: 25 Feb 2014, 12:22 »

I have the Galaxy S3, which probably isn't that pricey since it's a year and a half old. I'd recommend it.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #264 on: 25 Feb 2014, 13:08 »

I'm pretty happy with my Galaxy S4. If the Mini you're talking about is the S4 mini, and it's not too different from the S4, it's a solid phone.

Have you looked into used phones? I've been getting (completely useless to me as a foreigner) ads for Ting.com, which claim to offer lower rates than other providers. They've got a calculator that shows how much cheaper they are than everyone else, but everybody does. Why they might be interesting is that while they don't do $0 phones, they've got a market for used ones, so you could get an older smartphone model for under $100, which might give you a bigger selection to chose from. You also avoid the big caveat of $0 phones, which is that they usually come with much more expensive plans than the phones you pay for.

Even if you're stuck on Verizon, you might be able to buy a used phone and move the plan over, which means that you can change to a cheaper plan sooner. A used S3 could be a great money saver, and you still have a decent phone.

On the features - while removable storage is a plus, you generally only use it whenever you change phones. If you're mainly going to use that storage for stuff you're going to have copies of on your computer (music and pictures you take with the phone), storage that you can't remove isn't going to be a problem.

4G vs. 3G is kinda weird, since there's no real standard on what you can call 4G and 3G. From what I can see online, Verizon 4G is faster than Verizon 3G, but how that compares to the IPhone 3G isn't really clear. What is clear is that Verizon might throttle your 3G speed if you're a "heavy" user (over 2GB in a month), while that doesn't happen with 4G (see here. If you're not going to be watching videos or streaming music to your phone, it's probably not going to make any difference to you whatsoever.

Moving music from ITunes to an IPhone is pretty easy, but it's going to be pretty easy to move the music to any droid phone. If you're just using ITunes to play mp3s, you're just going to have to copy the music files to your phone. If you've bought music through ITunes store that's one some kind of bullshit closed format (FairPlay), there's free programs out there that can convert those files to mp3 - that's going to take some hours of work, but I'd say it'd be worth it.

Battery life is probably what's going to be the biggest thing in your day-to-day life, and I consider that the most important point of everything you listed above. It's probably what should be the biggest influence on your purchasing plan.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #265 on: 27 Feb 2014, 15:53 »

It's probably a terrible idea but I just installed a GBA emulator on my phone. Time to play some Pokemon on the train!
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #266 on: 27 Feb 2014, 16:33 »

Other than battery drain, what's the issue?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #267 on: 27 Feb 2014, 16:37 »

I'm guessing it's the time-wasting part.  :-D

Schmee

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #268 on: 27 Feb 2014, 19:12 »

I had a Gameboy emulator on my calculator. My proudest achievement is evolving a Dragonite during my Year 12 Further Maths exam.
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #269 on: 27 Feb 2014, 19:39 »

I'm guessing it's the time-wasting part.  :-D
On the train? Isn't time-wasting a good thing? :roll:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #270 on: 03 Mar 2014, 06:16 »

It's probably a terrible idea but I just installed a GBA emulator on my phone. Time to play some Pokemon on the train!
Weird.  I think we both did this on the same day.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #271 on: 03 Mar 2014, 06:18 »

I had a Gameboy emulator on my calculator. My proudest achievement is evolving a Dragonite during my Year 12 Further Maths exam.
Okay, now I'm curious as to what calculator has enough CPU power to run a Gameboy emulator.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #272 on: 03 Mar 2014, 06:25 »

The first gameboy was primitive as hell. I'd imagine that any modern programmable calculator could achieve that feat.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #273 on: 03 Mar 2014, 06:58 »

Yeah, the most modern calculator I've used is a TI-89, so they may have made a lot of progress since then.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #274 on: 03 Mar 2014, 13:24 »

Why does the Facebook update for Android ask for permission to read my texts? Why would it need to do that?

(I haven't updated yet but it keeps asking me to no matter how often I dismiss the reminder)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #275 on: 03 Mar 2014, 13:43 »

Because WhatsApp isn't enough.

Schmee

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #276 on: 03 Mar 2014, 13:46 »

Okay, now I'm curious as to what calculator has enough CPU power to run a Gameboy emulator.
The TI N-spire, I think. It was surprisingly simple to install, and it even had a turbo button that ran the game as fast as the calculator could manage - about 10x for Red/Blue, 3x for Gold/Silver. I imagine that newer versions of the calculator could run Gen 3 games.
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #277 on: 03 Mar 2014, 15:17 »

Why does the Facebook update for Android ask for permission to read my texts? Why would it need to do that?

Because all the big Internet companies want to be the ones who control your life.  And I'm not joking.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #278 on: 03 Mar 2014, 15:21 »

I'm not sure what I'm more surprised about, that they asked for this permission or that they didn't already have it. But since it was listed as a new permission, I did not install the update, and I won't for as long as it is my choice.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #279 on: 04 Mar 2014, 00:21 »

About a week then?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #280 on: 04 Mar 2014, 05:08 »

Give or take.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #281 on: 07 Mar 2014, 13:14 »

I got a full screen notification that my version was "about to expire". I can dismiss it and continue using it but a week may have been a bit optimistic :psyduck:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Wervelf

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #282 on: 07 Mar 2014, 23:56 »

I am planning to buy the new moto g next week. Am all excited about it :)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #283 on: 26 Mar 2014, 14:10 »

I'm thinking of upgrading to a Nexus 5 (I'm not due for a carrier upgrade until December). Any thoughts? Current phone is a Galaxy S3.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #284 on: 26 Mar 2014, 14:28 »

I can't fathom what my Galaxy S3 would be insufficient for.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #285 on: 26 Mar 2014, 14:30 »

That is true. If anything, my only complaint is the battery life, but the Nexus 5 doesn't improve that.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #286 on: 21 Apr 2014, 17:52 »

Apparently AT&T was selling Note 3s for $250 the other day, with no contract needed. Apparently I missed it. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #287 on: 22 Apr 2014, 05:46 »

I'm kind of tempted to get a tablet (other than my playbook, which as zero apps but is a cheap excellent ereader), if only to play catan, alhambra, and whatever other board games I can find on it.

There's a pretty good selection of android tablets under $200 Cdn these days.

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #288 on: 22 Apr 2014, 08:12 »

So this morning I witnessed someone drop an iPhone from a chair onto a carpeted floor and shatter the screen. For all the frustration that Intercept caused me, I dropped it in a parking lot so hard that it bounced a couple times, a few chips off the edge of the phone but not a scratch on the screen. This is why I avoid Apple products.

Aimless

• Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #289 on: 23 Apr 2014, 11:13 »

Installed CM11 on my GNex this weekend and am LOVING it :) Runs way better than the JB-based ROM I'd been using previously. Incredibly smooth, clean, so far perfectly stable. I love this phone. Second hand, several generations behind, yet perfecly suited to my needs and preferences :)
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #290 on: 23 Apr 2014, 11:15 »

If I can get my hands on a OnePlusOne, I will. It comes with CM11 and top of the line hardware for $300/350 (16/64 gigs). No contract.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Aimless

• Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #291 on: 27 May 2014, 12:44 »

So I switched to Cm11 on my GNex a while back, and not long afterwards I began to have some major problems with sysui-crashes of a particular kind that seems to be plaguing many other GNex users. I kinda felt like it had something to do with Xposed but was unable to resolve the problem by uninstalling Xposed, something about there not being a backup to restore. Updating the ROM didn't help either. I was so sick of backing up and restoring and so frustrated with the frequent lockups that I went and ordered a Moto G. But, the next day, I switched from Dalvik to ART and presto! No more crashes or lockups. I have no idea why on earth that woulda fixed anything but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth so to speak lest it crash :o cancelled the Moto G order and it's been smooth sailing the past few days :) back to excellent battery time again too.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #292 on: 27 May 2014, 15:25 »

Dalvik to ART? Could you explain those terms? I know about clearing the Dalvik cache when flashing a ROM, but that's about all...

lepetitfromage

« Reply #293 on: 28 May 2014, 06:40 »

I finally upgraded!! I went from the LG enV Touch (aka nightmare phone) to this beauty.

It just arrived yesterday so I'm still getting a feel for it, but so far, so good! It's got a buttload of memory, a quad core processor and a kickass camera. Now I can see why people become obsessed with their phones. This thing is so much fun to tinker with.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #294 on: 05 Jun 2014, 12:46 »

Hmm. I had some time to kill so I played a few rounds of Ridiculous Fishing, but the game's performance has tanked really hard. When I first got it I seem to remember it running without any problem, and between then and now I think I've had maybe one OS update. Killing all other processes doesn't seem to make any difference. What could have made it worse?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #295 on: 15 Jun 2014, 19:31 »

So I ended up getting a Droid Maxx (now living in an Otterbox case) with a 2gb Data plan (it cost what I was expecting to pay for a single gb) I am running Kitkat I believe.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #296 on: 15 Jun 2014, 19:39 »

Which provider?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #297 on: 15 Jun 2014, 21:46 »

Verizon Wireless. I'm on a group plan with the rest of my family so it actually extremely cost-effective for all of us when you break it down. As a side note I am fucking loving voice to text this is fucking cool.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #298 on: 16 Jun 2014, 01:01 »

so up to now i've been using a jail-borked 4th gen itouch as my handheld, in conjunction with a burn-phone. this setup has worked just fine for me as i almost never talk on the phone, however, it is time to upgrade to a proper smartphone & i'm making the jump to android.

to that end, i am in need of a few app recommendations.

1: an instant messenger that will be simple enough for my semi-luddite mother to use. must be multi-platform so it can run on her iphone & my brother's itouch (having a desktop client would be nice as well). preferably something not tied into or associated with facebook.

2: a good pod-catcher. the one and only ios app i'm going to miss is downcast & being able to easily import my feeds from that via OPML would be extremely handy.

3: a good audiobook player

4: anything else that are worth recommending.

one thing i'm actually kind of excited for is having something with an NFC reader, since that means i can install actual physical buttons on the thing. ya'll have no idea how much i've missed electronics with actual physical buttons.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #299 on: 16 Jun 2014, 07:49 »

Anyone else have a weird issue with their phone not successfully playing embedded videos? Is there an easy fix for this?? I'm getting perfect audio but the video is weirdly choppy and mostly black.  :-( Googling the issue hasn't been much help either. Any ideas?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up