THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 01:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Android  (Read 89269 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Re: Android
« Reply #300 on: 16 Jun 2014, 08:28 »

My phone is being dumb about letting me do custom ringtones. Cuuuuuuuuuuuuuurses.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #301 on: 16 Jun 2014, 14:46 »

Plug it into your computer, find the ringtone folder, drag the mp3 of your choice into it. It's pretty simple.

J - How about Google Talk? (Re: question #1)
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #302 on: 16 Jun 2014, 15:32 »

possible, will have to look into it. googe remains slightly less evil & creepy than facebook.

thanks

i'm also considering line. has anyone here ever used it?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #303 on: 16 Jun 2014, 16:05 »

I mean I'm already on Facebook and Google so I just use those (mostly Facebook really).

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #304 on: 16 Jun 2014, 20:20 »

I decided to get uncheap this month and paid for a data plan for my cell phone. Except apparently T-Mobile has turned off their 3G signal in this area to free up spectrum for 4G, which my phone doesn't support. So I can't get data on my phone anymore. Eh, back to the cheaper plan and Wi-Fi, I guess.  :psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #305 on: 01 Jul 2014, 01:18 »

I think my phone is about due for a reformat. The back button no longer works in the browser 60% of the time, the keyboard takes forever to show up, internet browsing applications crash semi-regularly, and everything is just slow. I hope a fresh star will improve things.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #306 on: 01 Jul 2014, 19:44 »

I have yet another silly problem. When I first got my phone, I could switch back and forth between apps with no problem and the app I would return to would be right where I left it. Now, when I return, the apps all restart. What did I do? :-( 
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #307 on: 01 Jul 2014, 19:51 »

I don't have quite that extreme, but when I'm listening to something in the music player, if I pause it for more than a few minutes, the track will reset. Not a big deal for a song, but kind of annoying when I listen to audiobooks with 30+ minute chapters.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #308 on: 02 Jul 2014, 01:40 »

I have yet another silly problem. When I first got my phone, I could switch back and forth between apps with no problem and the app I would return to would be right where I left it. Now, when I return, the apps all restart. What did I do? :-( 
Maybe you're running out of RAM. If an application needs more memory than is currently available, it might terminate a background program in order to make room for it. You can check your RAM usage by going into Settings > Apps > Running, at least on my Android version.

Ah, I just looked at my own RAM usage and it's almost maxed out. That could explain a few of the problems I've been having. Out of the ~700 MB it says there is total (the phone is supposed to have 1 GB RAM) about a quarter is shown to be used by running applications. The rest is used by hidden processes, apparently, and I only have around 60 MB left. Restarting my phone puts that back up to 200, so maybe that'll help things. Remember to reboot regularly, people!

Edit: yep, back button works again, everything is way more responsive. Reformatting can wait  until another day.
« Last Edit: 02 Jul 2014, 05:07 by LTK »
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #309 on: 02 Jul 2014, 06:25 »

Ahh. That makes sense. I'm seeing apps running that I haven't used in weeks (Vine, Amazon, NFL Mobile??? Gonna delete that last one lol)

I've stopped some of them previously and they start back up again. A quick Google search leads me to people recommending a "task killer" app. Is it safe to say that this is the best way to get those pesky returning apps to stop returning? Does anyone have experience with one of these?

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #310 on: 02 Jul 2014, 08:04 »

I've actually heard that the task killer apps aren't good - android phones are made to run apps in the background, and it makes it work harder since it has to constantly restart apps. But I don't know if that's true or not.

I suggest first deleting every app you can that you don't use. Not including system apps, which won't let you delete them anyway.

Then, disable any built in app that you're not using. If you go into your applications through the settings menu, there should be a disable button on the top right for each app that you are able to disable. For example, NFL Mobile came with my phone, and I couldn't give less of a shit about sports. So I disabled it, since I can't uninstall it.

Getting rid of any apps you don't use should help a lot with RAM.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

lepetitfromage

« Reply #311 on: 02 Jul 2014, 08:11 »

I just discovered the "disable" function after finding out that NFL Mobile couldn't actually be uninstalled and then went disable happy on the other stupid apps like that. So far, that seems to be working!

I'm also going through and disabling notifications for a lot of other apps, hoping that will cut down on A)The obnoxious twittering that my phone barfs at me all day long and B)Battery life/RAM usage. I have no proof that it will change either one of those, but logically it seems as though if an app knows I don't want notifications, it'll chill out a bit.  :-P

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #312 on: 08 Jul 2014, 22:16 »

I haven't found any news apps with a widget and breaking news notifications except CNN. And I don't want CNN's brand of "news."

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #313 on: 06 Sep 2014, 09:59 »

Considering rooting my LG G3. Y/N and why?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #314 on: 07 Sep 2014, 17:55 »

Depends if it's still under warranty. Unlike jailbreaking, rooting has always been legal, but it does void your warranty and if you send your phone in for anything they'll find out about it. If that isn't a problem for you, rooting is pretty great because it allows you to get rid of pre-installed bloatware and download apps that help your phone run better.

The other downside besides warranty cancellation is that you have to be careful what apps you download - you open yourself up to viruses and spyware. Do research before downloading any. Also before rooting make sure you find a good set of instructions and follow them carefully, because it is possible to brick your device trying to root it.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #315 on: 07 Sep 2014, 19:40 »

It's definitely still under warranty, just not sure if it's worth the hassle or the risk.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #316 on: 07 Sep 2014, 20:53 »

It's definitely still under warranty, just not sure if it's worth the hassle or the risk.

Honestly unless your phone has very limited memory it's kind of overrated.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #317 on: 08 Sep 2014, 02:23 »

Depends if it's still under warranty. Unlike jailbreaking, rooting has always been legal, but it does void your warranty and if you send your phone in for anything they'll find out about it. If that isn't a problem for you, rooting is pretty great because it allows you to get rid of pre-installed bloatware and download apps that help your phone run better.

The other downside besides warranty cancellation is that you have to be careful what apps you download - you open yourself up to viruses and spyware. Do research before downloading any. Also before rooting make sure you find a good set of instructions and follow them carefully, because it is possible to brick your device trying to root it.
Yet except in the most dire circumstances, rooting is completely reversible. If you relock the device before sending it in for a warranty claim (and reinstall the original OS if you installed something else) then I believe your claim is still valid.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #318 on: 09 Sep 2014, 12:03 »

Man, I can't get over wanting the Moto 360, even though it'd probably mean having to get a new (second-hand) phone and I'd have to keep it in a pocket at least 8 hours every working day. Stupid gadgets why do you have to be so sexy!

Re. rooting, if you have no particular reason for rooting it right now--no particular thing you want to do that requires rooting, eg. a specific app that you want to use--then there's no real point. You can indeed unroot most phones but, even though rooting itself is easy, all of these antics can lead to unexpected loss of time, energy and good cheer.

However, if you're okay with that and enjoy mucking about with gadgets in ways that occasionally make them go wonky then root it :P

Rooting has helped me get a lot more life out of my phones, because it's a prerequisite for installing custom ROMs which in turn is basically a prerequisite for being able to use the latest features after the phone's manufacturer stops upgrading their own shitty software. Many custom ROMs also come with a lot of cool features, although an inordinate amount of features have to do with more-or-less useful "customisation". It also gives me low-level control of what gets installed to my system partition as well as exactly what my apps are allowed to do or not do (sometimes necessary both to extend the phone's life-cycle as well as to discipline important but naughty apps). Access to system files has also helped me solve a number of extremely frustrating problems eg. wrt connectivity, and recently it let me retrieve a couple of important wifi passwords.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #319 on: 09 Sep 2014, 14:30 »

Man, I can't get over wanting the Moto 360, even though it'd probably mean having to get a new (second-hand) phone and I'd have to keep it in a pocket at least 8 hours every working day. Stupid gadgets why do you have to be so sexy!

DON'T get the Moto 360. The battery life is said to be abysmal and you'd buy into an unproven platform that still needs to mature. Hold out on this and maybe the next generation.

I do get you though. I want a smart watch so bad! My choices are even more limited though, as I use Windows Phone.

Aimless

« Reply #320 on: 09 Sep 2014, 15:30 »

Early rumors of battery-life problems may have been exaggerated, and some problems may be mitigated by software updates, but the honest truth is I can think of no use-case for any smartwatch that'd be truly compelling to me :( I just want them because I have a hardon for dumb gadgets sometimes :( :(

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #321 on: 10 Sep 2014, 03:30 »

honestly, i don't really get the point of smart watches.

unless you're old enough to have childhood fantasies of dick tracy to live out, i suppose.

Aimless

« Reply #322 on: 25 Sep 2014, 15:16 »

I'm very conflicted atm. I may be buying a Nexus 5 tomorrow, but I've just gotten my slightly sickly Galaxy Nexus to behave again and god damn it it is the most comfortable smartphone I've ever held.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #323 on: 25 Sep 2014, 15:45 »

I'm inclined to agree, I had a look-feel of a friend's Nexus 5 and while new stuff is always nice, I still don't see a compelling reason to get rid of my own Galaxy Nexus. I keep noticing that other, newer smartphones have a really wobbly vibrate, while the Galaxy Nexus is sharp and slightly resonant. I always enjoyed that. It's two years old now and still is as functional as it was when I got it, perhaps even more so given the OS updates.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #324 on: 25 Sep 2014, 20:45 »

My LG G3 has its flaws, but speaking of comfortable phones to hold, this might be my favourite I've ever owned in that regard.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Aimless

« Reply #325 on: 27 Sep 2014, 11:14 »

Nearing the end of my first day with the Nexus 5 and I regret nothing except the attempts to get it working with F2FS. The screen's bigger and better, but the phone's about the same size, only slimmer and lighter. The soft-touch back reminds me of my old beloved HTC Desire, so I don't miss the GNex's backplate nearly as much as I thought I would. The flat, sharp and slightly angled sides make it very comfortable to hold, so I don't miss the GNex's little booty :o stock android is buttery smooth and very nice, but CM11 is a little less polished. Still, can definitely live with it. This will serve me well past the launch of Project Ara.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #326 on: 14 Oct 2014, 17:06 »

Alright, I switched to T-Mobile on my unlocked phone, and it's working fine, but I can't tether or use wifi calling. I might be able to do those things if I flash the T-Mobile stock rom in place of the AT&T one, but is it worth backing everything up and doing that just for those features I'd almost never use? Also...what's the best way to back everything up if I choose to do this? (Contacts, apps and texts, mostly, pictures are on the microSD)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #327 on: 18 Nov 2014, 12:51 »

I now own an LG Tribute and so far I love the shit out out of it. It has a fast processor, good camera, and a really nice custom UI. It gets 4G LTE. Unlike my previous phone the screen is easy to see in sunlight and it has a longer battery life (my old Kyocera Rise couldn't even last half a day of moderate use)

The two complaints I have so far are: the internal storage is limited (4GB, but over 2GB are taken up by the OS) and a MicroSD card is not included. I pulled the 2GB card out of my old phone but I don't know if that'll be enough. The other complaint is that, speaking of the SD card, getting the case off to get to the battery and card reader is a pain in the ass.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #328 on: 18 Nov 2014, 15:00 »

Yeah, that seems to be the case in most phones for some reason.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #329 on: 02 Dec 2014, 13:18 »

I distinctly remember that Dropbox on Android used to give me the option to tick a list of files that I could then download to internal storage, but apparently this feature is totally gone. I can't even export a single folder, the only options are 'share, delete, rename, move'. If I want to download a file from Dropbox now I have to press the arrow, press More..., press Export, press Save to device, choose the folder and press Export, which is mind-bogglingly inefficient. What the hell did you do, Dropbox?

Aimless

« Reply #330 on: 10 Jan 2015, 01:04 »

Many programs go through that sort of change and I can't help but wonder what breed of programmer/designer is responsible. This app lets you download whole folders at a time though: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jjinx.dropboxdownloader&hl=en

For my part, I've been playing around with Google Cardboard and, though it's def. imperfect and nowhere near as polished as Oculus Rift, it's just so much fun :D gonna make some mods to the headset I have now while waiting for my Viewbox to arrive.

Can't wait for the consumer edition of Oculus Rift... it'll be one of few tech products I'll be almost happy to buy new and at full price, even though it'll sting to get one for each of us

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #331 on: 10 Jan 2015, 07:10 »

I'm almost tempted to get a Galaxy Note 4 (even though it'd be little-to-no improvement over my current LG G3) just so I can get the Oculus made specifically for it.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #332 on: 10 Jan 2015, 08:33 »

I'm almost tempted to get a Galaxy Note 4 (even though it'd be little-to-no improvement over my current LG G3) just so I can get the Oculus made specifically for it.

I own LG's cheaper version of the G3.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #333 on: 10 Jan 2015, 08:53 »

...the G2?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #334 on: 10 Jan 2015, 08:57 »

I don't get why people want phones that large. My new Moto G LTE is around the maximum for me with 4.5". If I want to do something that requires a larger screen I have my Nexus 7 in my bag. I wouldn't want such a large screen on a device which I always want to carry in my pocket.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #335 on: 10 Jan 2015, 09:22 »

My hands are larger than most, and 5.5" is the perfect balance where I can hold it in one hand, it fits it in my pocket, and it's big enough where I don't need a tablet. Why would I want two devices when my phone does everything I need?

Hell, I'd get a Nexus 6 if it had MicroSD support and that's only an inch smaller than the Nexus 7.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

lepetitfromage

« Reply #336 on: 10 Jan 2015, 09:51 »

I love my G2, now that I generally understand how to use it! I bought it when there was no G3 :-P

Initially I was turned off by the size but when I went to go see it, I loved it. I have pretty large hands too, tbh.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #337 on: 10 Jan 2015, 13:07 »

...the G2?

The LG Tribute. It was released around the same time as the G3, has a similar design, the same UI, and many of the same features. But it's smaller, has less memory and a slower processor, the camera isn't as good, and it has KitKat instead of Lollipop.

I can't afford an expensive phone. Besides which I'm not really into the whole phablet craze.

The Tribute is 4.5", I saw a CNET review complaining that the screen was small, I still think it's gigantic and certainly larger than any phone I've had previously. I fail pretty hard at touchscreens so I don't even own a tablet, my laptop will do fine for watching videos and such.
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2015, 13:12 by 94ssd »

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #338 on: 10 Jan 2015, 16:12 »

My G3 has KitKat, I'm not sure if Lollipop was put out yet in the States but it'd be a tricky process to put it on anyway, since I have an AT&T phone that I switched to T-Mobile. Plus it's rooted and honestly I don't see a need to upgrade, so I'm probably not gonna see Lollipop until I get a new phone.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #339 on: 10 Jan 2015, 21:45 »

I love my Note 4. Perfect for my giant hands.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Aimless

« Reply #340 on: 11 Jan 2015, 06:02 »

I thought the Nexus 5 would be way too large for me but it took only moments to adjust to the larger display. I have small hands but I think I can get used to a 5.5" phone provided they shrink the bezels :o

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #341 on: 11 Jan 2015, 19:40 »

The Nexus 5? That thing's tiny! Like Galaxy S3 size.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #342 on: 09 Feb 2015, 02:35 »

Shit, for some reason my phone's e-mail syncing went haywire and used up all my bandwidth over the course of one day. How the hell did that happen? I didn't even receive any e-mail. Have to turn off mobile internet for the rest of the month now.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #343 on: 10 Feb 2015, 05:21 »

Yikes, are there no carriers with unlimited data where you are?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #344 on: 10 Feb 2015, 06:04 »

There might be, but that shit's expensive.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #345 on: 10 Feb 2015, 07:56 »

Not everybody can afford to flesh out 80 bucks a month for an unlimited data plan.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #346 on: 10 Feb 2015, 08:00 »

I've been fine with the $40/month 500 MB plan I have, but I found out T-Mobile is apparently going to be increasing my data to 1 GB, but no longer allowing tethering...

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #347 on: 10 Feb 2015, 08:10 »

Not everybody can afford to flesh out 80 bucks a month for an unlimited data plan.
I only pay $30 for the data itself.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #348 on: 10 Feb 2015, 08:25 »

Something that can be cheaper here, it seems.  I have unlimited 3G and 4G data for £15 a month (sim-only).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #349 on: 10 Feb 2015, 08:32 »

Is that just for data? The $40 price I mentioned includes calling and SMS.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up