THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Android  (Read 89883 times)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
Re: Android
« Reply #50 on: 18 Nov 2012, 06:03 »

The ironic thing is that most of the problems that Tasker is able to solve wouldn't exist if I didn't have a smartphone in the first place.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #51 on: 18 Nov 2012, 07:15 »

True, but you'd have the even worse problem of "I don't have a smartphone".
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #52 on: 20 Nov 2012, 08:44 »

So I put in a double capacity battery and I still don't think it'll last through the day. It'll get me through work, at least.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #53 on: 20 Nov 2012, 08:49 »

I got extra batteries that were supposed to last at least 20% longer, and they don't even last half as long as the battery my phone came with.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #54 on: 20 Nov 2012, 10:09 »

No, it lasts longer than the stock battery. That's just not saying much.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #55 on: 23 Nov 2012, 02:25 »

What can you do to maximize your battery life? As in, that the battery itself doesn't degrade, not that it uses less power. Should you charge it only when it's below a certain capacity, or is it fine to plug it in at 90% too? How about leaving it plugged in after it's done charging?
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #56 on: 23 Nov 2012, 02:40 »

Wikipedia cites a source that recommends avoiding deep discharge, performing frequent top-up charges, and storing with at least 40% charge; however, it also has a note suggesting that the source is unreliable, though it doesn't say why.  On leaving plugged in to a charger, that's mainly a matter of the quality of the battery management built in to the device, I think - it should be harmless.  I still see sources recommending behaviour (always discharge fully before recharging) that was essential for NiCd batteries, but no other type - that is simply not relevant with lithium batteries.

My old iPhone battery is still performing well at three years.  My usage only discharges it to 75% a day, on average, and I leave it on charge every night.  Once I deliberately did a deep discharge because I read (in the source above) about the battery level indicator needing an occasional recalibration; it had no effect.

My experience with non-OEM replacement batteries for players and laptops has varied from OK to abysmal, with more of the latter than I would like.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #57 on: 23 Nov 2012, 07:41 »

I've actually had good luck with this battery, it doesn't last as long as others have said it does, but it gets me through the full day (why it takes a 5000mAh battery to do that is beyond me, but the 2500mAh one would die by mid-afternoon if I used it enough).

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #58 on: 07 Dec 2012, 06:23 »

I reset my phone to factory settings last night, because I was having a lot of problems (like the battery overheating randomly) and decided it was time. I decided to attempt to root it at the same time. The rooting itself seemed to go well but I couldn't install (flash?) a ROM and then I gave up and it wouldn't restart and I had to reset it to factory settings again.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #59 on: 07 Dec 2012, 13:19 »

Is the Droid 4 still the best phone with a physical keyboard?
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #60 on: 07 Dec 2012, 15:58 »

Droids a phone OS, isn't it?  Not a brand/style of phone. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #61 on: 07 Dec 2012, 16:01 »

Except the Motorola Droid is.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #62 on: 10 Dec 2012, 09:58 »

MugenHAN

• Not quite a lurker
  • I accidentally the profile
    • Heihachi Y's Blog (NSFW!)
« Reply #63 on: 10 Dec 2012, 10:01 »

Is the Droid 4 still the best phone with a physical keyboard?

Determining the "best" is subjective, unfortunately. Every phone has features that may or may not meet the demands of certain people. You should check out some reviews if you're currently looking for a new phone!

Haha, nice.
I accidentally the signature

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #64 on: 14 Dec 2012, 11:19 »

So my phone is still somehow rooted which is awesome. And I have installed a couple things to help. But I still can't find a ROM that I can use.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #65 on: 15 Dec 2012, 10:12 »

My daughter has bought my wife a cheap android tablet for christmas.  Anything I really need to know to help her out?  What's this "rooting" thing, is that just for phones? 

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #66 on: 15 Dec 2012, 10:35 »

"Rooting" is breaking the security of the phone's operating system (getting access as the "root" user, which is the most basic system user in Unix-like systems - so the term can be used for other computers as well).  People do this in order to be able to install programs that the supplier doesn't give permission to be installed for whatever reason.  It is the same process as is used by viruses to install keyloggers on your desktop and hence steal your banking passwords and identity.  Although not yet common, there are viruses for phones, and a rooted phone would be more vulnerable to them.  So you need to balance your convenience in running a program you otherwise could not against the risk of having your identity and banking details stolen (if you use your phone for anything that should be secure, that is).

As someone responsible for computer security, you can guess which side I come down on, even though there is a program I'd dearly like to be able to run on my iPhone!
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2012, 10:55 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

ackblom12

« Reply #67 on: 15 Dec 2012, 10:59 »

It's not just programs that aren't allowed, there are also several apps on the android market that have added functions if you have a rooted phone. I use it almost entirely for Android ROM Customization and an app called Tasker which allows you to set up a lot of automation on your phone.

But, if the person isn't a power user who is security conscious, then rooting it is basically just giving them a phone with bad security.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #68 on: 15 Dec 2012, 10:59 »

Rooting isn't really necessary for the majority of people, in my opinion. So unless you or your wife are big computer nerds that want to be able to customize your tablet more than Android already allows (and they allow much more than Apple devices) then you can ignore the world of rooting.

As for her new tablet, it's fairly simple to set up an Android tablet, usually. It may be easier for her to go to the Google Play store (play.google.com) to look at apps on a computer before she downloads them, at first. Other than that, we are here to help you if you need it :)

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #69 on: 15 Dec 2012, 15:15 »

Thanks!  Intuitive sounds good, especially for her...  she doesn't get along well with most machines. 

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #71 on: 04 Jan 2013, 15:30 »

I got an application that lets me use my phone as a touchpad. That will come in handy in the unlikely event that I ever find myself at my computer without a mouse or a keyboard, but for now, it helps to give me multitouch functionality on a laptop that normally doesn't have any. Precision is rather poor, though. Now, if only it was possible to simply use it as a mouse...

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #72 on: 05 Jan 2013, 09:04 »

I love my S3, even though I'm not letting myself hack it anymore because my Note died* of a non-hacking related incident, but rooting it voided the warranty, which meant I had to get a new one.

*It still works, but the SIM tray malfunctioned somehow, so it only works on wifi. I might mess around with different ROMs on it and use it as a mini-tablet if I have the time.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #73 on: 15 Jan 2013, 15:13 »

Okay, so I've got the classic conundrum:

iPhone or Android? (read: iPhone or Samsung?)

Birthday is tomorrow, looking at phones.

Pros of an iPhone 4 seem to be its speed, ease of use, the deal I can get on it (8GB, unlimited data/texts, 2000 minutes, £26 a month)
Cons seem to be flawed design (1 out of every 2 iPhone users seems to have a fucked up screen) and the fact I work in London and gangs go around hunting for iPhoners.

I'm looking at a couple of Samsungs - the Ace II which seems to be fairly middle of the road but only runs Gingerbread, and the S II which is older but comparable to the iPhone 4 (hoping to find a similar price for it). Also, expandable memory. Android doesn't seem to get the flack it once used to, and I have quite a lot of Google affiliated crap (docs, mail, all that).

So essentially, cheaper Android running Gingerbread, more expensive Android running ICS, iPhone 4?

I should mention that I don't currently own a phone with apps so they all kind of seem similar to me. If I spend too long researching I'll never, ever buy a new one in fear that a newer, better one will come out.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #74 on: 15 Jan 2013, 18:09 »

Do NOT get a phone with Gingerbread. The S II has ICS and may actually get Jelly Bean soon.  That being said, if you can spring for the III...do it. It's an excellent phone.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #75 on: 15 Jan 2013, 22:02 »

1 out of every 2 iPhone users seems to have a fucked up screen

I deal with a number of iPhones at work (as well as my own and my son's), and the only trouble with screens I've seen is that one person keeps dropping their phone on a stone floor and has smashed three screens so far.

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #76 on: 04 Feb 2013, 13:35 »

Just an update on this: got a Sony Xperia T (that's right, the James Bond phone) and it is wonderful. Jelly Bean upgrade coming too. Now I need to work out what playstaion classic games I can play on this thing.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #77 on: 18 Feb 2013, 12:57 »

My desktop's internet crapped out, so I install the clockwork mod tether on my phone so I can access my data plan over usb. The application then proceeds to use up 173 mb of bandwith trying, and failing, to connect the phone to the pc. FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU-

Uninstalled. Guess I'm going to have to reply to my e-mails with two fingers instead of ten.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #78 on: 23 Feb 2013, 06:25 »

Wanted to buy the Swiftkey keyboard. Tried to set up Google Wallet. Read their privacy policy.

It's pretty scary.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #79 on: 18 Mar 2013, 02:51 »

An android topic.

I'm HOME!!!! :lol:

FYI, I have a Bootloader-Unlocked Verizon Galaxy Note II, running Jelly'Beans' 4.1 ROM.

It has become my primary computing device. I am seriously in love with this thing.

I know just about everything there is to know about android (except I lack any ability to code :( ) so you can ask me anything.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #80 on: 14 Apr 2013, 16:15 »

So I've updated my device to the latest experimental build of Cyanogenmod 10.1, and with that comes some housekeeping. It seems my internal storage capacity is rapidly running out, and the reason for this is the backups I'm making with ROM manager before every update. For some reason, CM version 9 backups were never larger than 100 MB but all of my CM 10 backups are in excess of 1 GB. There are files called data.ext4.tar.a and system.ext4.tar.a that are ridiculously huge (800 MB/300 MB) and I don't think they're supposed to be that way. Regardless, I'm going to move them over to my computer for now.

mtmerrick

« Reply #81 on: 14 Apr 2013, 16:25 »

I'm desperately waiting for a 4.2 rom to come to my note 2.

I mean, there are plenty of ASOP based roms. What I'm looking for is a touchwiz based 4.2 rom, for all the S-Pen goodies.

Parkour Lewis

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Does my butt look bigger on the inside?
« Reply #82 on: 14 Apr 2013, 16:46 »

I have an LG Optimus 2x running Cyanogenmod 10.1 and the Kowalski kernel.  The build's still experimental, but kowalski makes it pretty stable.  I tried MIUI v4 a month ago and it would run smooth as silk for about two minutes then lock up, making me have to remove the battery to reset it.  Kinda liked the UI though.
When heaven's in the music, Hell is in control.
The Angels got the phonebox but the Devil's got the rock and roll.

mtmerrick

« Reply #83 on: 14 Apr 2013, 16:50 »

You can grab the MIUI launcher and lockscreen from the play store. ;)

Also, when I get around to it I really need to put CM10.1 on my tab...  Poor sucker is still on ICS.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #84 on: 15 Apr 2013, 10:57 »

My Samsung Galaxy S3 should be here today :D

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #85 on: 15 Apr 2013, 13:45 »

I just got my S3 in January, and I love it, but I'm tempted to sell it this summer when the Nexus 5 comes out, especially if they do the same pricing ($300 without a contract).

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ackblom12

« Reply #86 on: 15 Apr 2013, 13:46 »

Does the Nexus 5 have an actual release or announcement date yet?

mtmerrick

« Reply #87 on: 15 Apr 2013, 15:01 »

Does the Nexus 5 have an actual release or announcement date yet?
no  :psyduck:

My Samsung Galaxy S3 should be here today :D
what carrier and what color? :P

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #88 on: 15 Apr 2013, 15:02 »

Also why didn't you wait like...3 more weeks and get an S4?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

mtmerrick

« Reply #89 on: 15 Apr 2013, 15:06 »

See,  I was gonna say that, but I assumed neko had to have a reason....

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #90 on: 15 Apr 2013, 15:49 »

because it's cheap as shit

mtmerrick

« Reply #91 on: 15 Apr 2013, 16:00 »

But if price is that much of a factor, why not go with the Nexus 4?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #92 on: 15 Apr 2013, 16:12 »

Nexus 4 is only cheaper if you're not buying on contract which Neko may have been. Also I think I'm gonna wait another year to buy a new phone.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

mtmerrick

« Reply #93 on: 15 Apr 2013, 16:25 »

Well I guess it all boils down to what carrier you're on...

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #94 on: 15 Apr 2013, 16:30 »

I think I'm gonna wait another year to buy a new phone.
That feels like the right thing to do. I feel like the market is a bit stagnating, and the impeding rollout of smart watches is going to liven it up a little bit, and will hopefully make smart devices a bit more attractive.

mtmerrick

« Reply #95 on: 15 Apr 2013, 16:38 »

Screw smartwatches. I want me some Google Glass.

But an S3 from January should last you though a 2 year contract just fine.

Do you have the Snapdragon or the Exynos version?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #96 on: 15 Apr 2013, 17:13 »

Snapdragon  :-\

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

mtmerrick

« Reply #97 on: 15 Apr 2013, 17:19 »

Eh, that's still alright. The snapdragon version has 2gb of RAM, the Exynos only has 1. And in Android, ram is a big deal.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #98 on: 15 Apr 2013, 17:22 »

2GB of RAM! On a phone!  :psyduck:

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #99 on: 15 Apr 2013, 17:30 »

Smartphones today are basically small computers that can make calls.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up