THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Android  (Read 89860 times)

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
Re: Android
« Reply #100 on: 15 Apr 2013, 17:31 »

To me, needing 2 GB of RAM on a MOBILE OPERATING SYSTEM calls of bad resource management.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #101 on: 15 Apr 2013, 17:47 »

Aaaaand that's BS. This separation of "Mobile" vs "desktop" OSes is a load of crap. Sure, there are lighter weight and heavier OSes, but we've well moved past the separation of "mobile" and "desktop" 

Sure, Android is a bit lighter weight than, say, OSX, but lightweight OSes are becoming so powerful that they're able to do everything 80% of the population needs.

When you get gramma an ipad, are you going to say that's not a computer? If course it is. In fact, it's more of a personal computer that a desktop.

The defining line between "mobile" and "desktop" OSes that some people still cling to is ARM vs x86. But android, ChromeOS, and yes, even windows have broken down that barrier.

So you're going to call me out for how much ram my PC-in-my-pocket has?

That's just silly.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #102 on: 15 Apr 2013, 17:52 »

^^^^
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

mtmerrick

« Reply #103 on: 15 Apr 2013, 17:59 »

This is truer the bigger your screen goes as well, because you can do so much more. Split Screen multitasking, floating windows, ect. Dare I say TouchWiz Nature is a more powerful android distro than Windows RT.

Also, with the crazy screens "Mobile devices" are getting, it is important to have great specs. The new standard for phones and tablets is 1080p. The Nexus 10 has a nearly 2K Screen.  :psyduck:
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2013, 18:53 by mtmerrick »

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #104 on: 15 Apr 2013, 18:02 »

Honestly, I may just keep my S3 and get a Nexus 10 next summer to use as my primary computer when I'm not home. (I'd use a bluetooth keyboard to take notes when I start school)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #105 on: 15 Apr 2013, 18:05 »

I suppose that makes me simple minded then. I chose not to deal with all the myriad of choices that Android offers, honest to god, I understand the premise of it and that it's probably all good and stuff...

but it's simply too much, and in a way that, to me, in the end, feels inconsistent. Apps feel like they're tacked on, without much thought, and that ruins the entire experience for me. Despite you having 2GB of RAM (that's HALF OF WHAT I GOT IN MY PC), your screens still stutter when scrolling too quickly. And the concept of an app drawer, a grid of icons that say absolutely nothing about their content, is just starting to be so ugly in my eyes that I turn away every device I know now. I suppose I am a Microsoft fanboy. I know saying this will probably get me feathered and hushed out of this forum quicker than I can say "open-source", but.. eh! I don't know what more to say!

Please DO prove me wrong, because at this moment, I really don't see it. I don't see Android as what it is.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #106 on: 15 Apr 2013, 18:07 »

How is an icon that says absolutely nothing about content any different than a desktop icon that says absolutely nothing about content?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #107 on: 15 Apr 2013, 18:14 »

Here's my phone. It has icons on the main screen that I use often, and a button that brings me to a simple scrollable list for all the other programs that are on there. I'm honestly not sure what your complaint about the icons is.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #108 on: 15 Apr 2013, 18:20 »

This is a crop from apps I use on my start screen. If you want the full screen I'm glad to share it with you.

The news app on the top is showing me the headlines about the Boston bombings.
The mail app is showing me a summary of the mail I sent myself, so it would show up.
The calendar app is showing my next appointment.
The weather app is showing the actual weather.
The photos app is showing a slide show of the pictures in my picture library (and for some reason, found one of Angela Merkel)
And the desktop icon is showing my desktop background.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #109 on: 15 Apr 2013, 18:21 »

I really don't want to turn this into a This VS that thread, but I want to understand and I don't.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #110 on: 15 Apr 2013, 18:25 »

See, people want different things. I want the option to easily open things, because if I want to see what's in them, I'll open them. I have no need for my mail to be on the main screen if I can just open the mail program to read my mail. I honestly don't see the appeal in your layout. That being said, Android has tons of what are called widgets that basically do that, I just don't see the need to use them for anything but the weather (and a button that makes it easy to turn the phone into a flashlight).

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #111 on: 15 Apr 2013, 18:26 »

it takes a second to open the app. I keep it open anyway, since I get a lot of work e-mails. But I also get on a glance updates to who wrote me, and what it's about.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #112 on: 15 Apr 2013, 18:28 »

anyway, I'm gonna go off this thread for now, I'm tired, I'm grumpy, I don't want to get on your bad sides, and I need to work tomorrow.
But I want to talk and I promise I will listen. Just, not today.

mtmerrick

« Reply #113 on: 15 Apr 2013, 18:32 »

Apps feel like they're tacked on, without much thought, and that ruins the entire experience for me..
what does this even mean.  :psyduck: apps on android are no different than software on any other OS. sure, they vary. though not as much as on, say, windows.

Despite you having 2GB of RAM (that's HALF OF WHAT I GOT IN MY PC), your screens still stutter when scrolling too quickly.
that's absolute BS. android lag was vanquished so long ago its just a myth now.

And the concept of an app drawer, a grid of icons that say absolutely nothing about their content, is just starting to be so ugly in my eyes that I turn away every device I know now.
so.... the windows 8 "all apps" screen is enough to turn you off from windows 8?  :psyduck: cuz its the same concept. i prefer a grid to a list, but i can change it to a list if i want. but most of the time i don't need to go into the app drawer at all, just like you rarely need to go into the "all apps" screen on windows 8.

I suppose I am a Microsoft fanboy. I know saying this will probably get me feathered and hushed out of this forum quicker than I can say "open-source", but.. eh! I don't know what more to say!
there's a difference between a Microsoft Fanboy and a MetroUI fanboy. which one are you?

Please DO prove me wrong, because at this moment, I really don't see it. I don't see Android as what it is.
clearly.

it takes a second to open the app. I keep it open anyway, since I get a lot of work e-mails. But I also get on a glance updates to who wrote me, and what it's about.
as method said, we have a widget for that. just like you have 1x1 static tiles, and larger "live" tiles, we have static icons and interactive widgets.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #114 on: 15 Apr 2013, 18:35 »

I'm the opposite, I definitely prefer an alphabetized list, which is why I only have one page of apps/widgets. If it's not there, it's easier for me to go to the all apps list than to remember where and on what page a particular program is. Also, I really am starting to dislike the word "app". When did we start calling them applications instead of programs?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

mtmerrick

« Reply #115 on: 15 Apr 2013, 18:40 »

wrong. when did we start calling them programs instead of applications? oh yeah, that's right, microsoft coined that term.

also, most launchers give you the option of grid or list for the app drawer. *shrug*

I'll post my homescreen setup in a bit.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #116 on: 15 Apr 2013, 18:45 »

wrong. when did we start calling them programs instead of applications? oh yeah, that's right, microsoft coined that term.
Eh, what? The term "program" has been around a lot longer than Microsoft.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

mtmerrick

« Reply #117 on: 15 Apr 2013, 18:50 »

yeah, but it didn't overreachingly refer to all software that's not the OS, like most people use it as now.  :psyduck:

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #118 on: 15 Apr 2013, 19:42 »

"apps" is a term that was coined by the Jobs-crowd and that I have been unable to shrug off. If Microsoft coined the term program, that's fine by me, use which one you like. I know what you mean.
The jab with the grids was more aimed at iOS, I pity them, because they have to work with them exclusively.
I know Android has widgets, I can't argue their usability due to never having used them. But they all have different designs and aesthetics, and to me that makes them
feel like they're tacked on, without much thought, and that ruins the entire experience for me.
That is a recurring quib I have with Android, one that doesn't necessarily has to do with feature parity (because in that regard they are undoubtedly the best), just of a certain percieved lack of continuity.
Every program in Android is fundamentally different in its percieved behaviour. I never know what's about to happen in an program, if I have to double tap or swipe, or else. The advantage that Android gets because of this is a limitless stream of design choices. But it also suffers from inconsistency. And this is especially true in an ecosystem where virtually every distributer uses a skin that looks and behaves fundamentally different.
I know that every program in Win8 will show the menu bar when I swipe from the top or bottom. I know that a long press will show a contextual menu with options on the item I just pressed. Swiping down on an object selects it. Zooming out in most places will show me an overview of the view I'm currently in, be it in the start screen, the (btw excellently written) Wikipedia app or my cocktail recipes. I know I can trust Win8 to behave like I expect it to, even if I'm in unsailed waters. I don't know if I can with Android. (rest assured, programs still need some work, but I've been using Win8 for half a year now and they're getting there.)
I hate the all apps screen on Win8 with a burning passion. It's so decisively un-modern that I fail to understand it. I only use it for admin access, and to use apps that aren't on my start screen, I use the search charm. Unified search throughout your entire data and programs. I never knew it could be this great.
Also, one last thing mtmerrick, thanks for that wonderful response to my legitimate plea of help. The fact that I wasn't seeing Android the way you see it is so much CLEARER to me now. Anticipating this kind of response was the exact reason why I apologized in advance.
Maybe instead of using foul language (BS still reads BULLSHIT to me), try to understand my point better by engaging me, the way Method of Madness has been doing, and not by showing off the length of your dick. Thank you.
I'm extremely sorry for name-calling.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #119 on: 15 Apr 2013, 19:56 »

I think my biggest problem with any of the operating system is that once you pick, it's really hard to change. I was iOS from October 2008 to March 2012 before going to Android, but I definitely don't see myself changing again for quite some time, if ever.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

mtmerrick

« Reply #120 on: 15 Apr 2013, 20:02 »

Also, one last thing mtmerrick, thanks for that wonderful response to my legitimate plea of help. The fact that I wasn't seeing Android the way you see it is so much CLEARER to me now. Anticipating this kind of response was the exact reason why I apologized in advance.
try to understand my point better by engaging me, the way Method of Madness has been doing, and not by showing off the length of your dick.

....wow that's taking it harshly. i was trying to engage you, answering sentence for sentence.

if i were acting like you... lets see what that would look like

Windows is so badly designed. i mean all it is is a mess of playschool color blocks that are way too large for practical use. Its a weak and useless system.

but i still want to hear your side of the argument.

i am not "showing off the size of my dick" or any such crap, i'm trying to nicely explain things to the guy who comes into the "we like android" topic saying how stupid/useless/overly complex android is.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #121 on: 15 Apr 2013, 20:03 »

Please stop this now, both of you, before it goes too far.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ackblom12

« Reply #122 on: 15 Apr 2013, 20:38 »

Oh dear lord...

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #123 on: 15 Apr 2013, 23:01 »

yeah, but it didn't overreachingly refer to all software that's not the OS, like most people use it as now.  :psyduck:

Someone who started programming in the 1960s would like a word with you...

And yeah, no need for OS wars.  They all exist; they all have reasons to exist.  If you want to compare experiences with different OSes you could start a thread for it, I suppose.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #124 on: 16 Apr 2013, 02:40 »

Every program in Android is fundamentally different in its percieved behaviour. I never know what's about to happen in an program, if I have to double tap or swipe, or else. The advantage that Android gets because of this is a limitless stream of design choices. But it also suffers from inconsistency. And this is especially true in an ecosystem where virtually every distributer uses a skin that looks and behaves fundamentally different.
I know that every program in Win8 will show the menu bar when I swipe from the top or bottom. I know that a long press will show a contextual menu with options on the item I just pressed. Swiping down on an object selects it. Zooming out in most places will show me an overview of the view I'm currently in, be it in the start screen, the (btw excellently written) Wikipedia app or my cocktail recipes. I know I can trust Win8 to behave like I expect it to, even if I'm in unsailed waters. I don't know if I can with Android. (rest assured, programs still need some work, but I've been using Win8 for half a year now and they're getting there.)
So, basically, you don't like Android because you're not familiar with it. The thing is, I could probably list a similar number of consistencies across all of my Android applications that allow me to use them effectively. Of course I'm going to be confused by the consistent control method you just described if I got a Windows phone shoved into my hands; I'm just used to using the Android OS. Similarly, whenever I have to work on a Macbook and I want to adjust a simple option, such as mouse sensitivity or number of pages on the screen, I'm all "WTF, this is horrible design" because I have practically no experience with iOS.

What kind of OS you're going to want to use is only really relevant for the first time, because every time after that you're already habituated to one and you're only going to inconvenience yourself by switching to another, which seems weird and arcane by comparison.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #125 on: 16 Apr 2013, 06:54 »

I must admit that I skipped over most of what just happened.

It's a blue 16gb, on Verizon. I don't like to spend a lot of money on my phones, but I like fancy gadgets. This cost me $30 and I love it. In two years, I will get the next fanciest phone available for cheap
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

ackblom12

« Reply #126 on: 18 Apr 2013, 10:10 »

Not really related to Android at all, but I find this an interesting phone none the less.

The $12 Gongkai Phone

KingOfIreland

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Artist formerly known as Tuathal
« Reply #127 on: 18 Apr 2013, 10:13 »

My phone, the samsung wave, released with bada now has android on it with GSM functionality!

Fuck to the effing Yeah!

Open source modem drivers everyone!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1203
"Cock's Fresh Prepared steak"

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #128 on: 12 May 2013, 15:05 »

Cyanogenmod 10.1 RC1 has just been released, and it's given me back the power widget in the notification drawer as well as customisable notification light colour and frequency! Yay! Alarms are still broken, though, so I have to set the timer every time I have to get up in the morning. The native pdf reader is also still missing, but I installed EBookDroid and I actually like that one much better in most regards.

Say, has anyone checked out this Pebble smartwatch? I'd really like to have one of those. My old phone had a grey TFT LCD screen which meant it could display the time and notifications in black pixels against the grey background of the unpowered screen. I really missed that function when I got my new phone, because it meant one more button press every time I wanted to know the time or whether I had messages. A smartwatch would solve both problems at once, and it would mean that I could also use it as a replacement for my music player because it has buttons! I operate my music player blind and from my pocket 90% of the time - good luck doing the same thing with a touchscreen device.

It seems that Sony has a few brands of smartwatch available as well, but they don't seem nearly as good. They're cheap, though. Anyone know of other options?
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #129 on: 12 May 2013, 15:22 »

I'm a bit old school when it comes to watches, honestly. The GPS on it sounds nice, but the only time I'd need a GPS watch are when I'm running/biking and thus can't carry my phone with me, and this watch doesn't seem that useful if it's not connected to a phone.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

mtmerrick

« Reply #130 on: 12 May 2013, 15:23 »

Smartwatches are an amazing class of devices, but that class is still in its infancy. I've been shopping for one for quite some time now, and I have yet to find one that gives me everything I want - access to all my phone's notifications, voice controls, Google now, music/media controls, and a weather widget. The latest and greatest Sony Smartwatch is the best one I've found so far, but it still doesn't do everything I want, and you must keep in mind that it's useless without a Bluetooth connection to your phone.

For a standalone device that can function as a smartwatch, I'd have to recommend the last-gen ipod nano (the tiny square one) with a watch band. (and man does it kill me to recommend an apple product)

I'm not a huge fan of the pebble, because it doesn't have a touchscreen (making navigation a pain), and it's functionality is limited. However it's one of the only Smartwatches on the market that lasts a day on a charge, so there's that. 

Source: I don't have a smartwatch but I've researched them extensively, and used many of them at CES.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #131 on: 12 May 2013, 15:55 »

My smartphone doesn't always last a day with heavy use, and that's without Bluetooth always enabled. Also, I wouldn't get a smartwatch that wasn't waterproof as well as very hard to break.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #132 on: 12 May 2013, 16:12 »

Smartwatches are an amazing class of devices, but that class is still in its infancy. I've been shopping for one for quite some time now, and I have yet to find one that gives me everything I want - access to all my phone's notifications, voice controls, Google now, music/media controls, and a weather widget. The latest and greatest Sony Smartwatch is the best one I've found so far, but it still doesn't do everything I want, and you must keep in mind that it's useless without a Bluetooth connection to your phone.
Those are high standards. If I were you I'd sooner strap an Xperia Mini to the underside of my wrist, that'll probably get you all of those features. How are you going to fit all those things on the display of a watch? I suppose voice control would be useful in that regard, but I've always had an instinctive aversion to using it. If I ever were to rely on it I'd probably end up arguing with my phone like a crazy person. I don't care for weather widgets; I've already got an application that gives me a notification if it's going to rain within the next few hours, and I don't need to know anything else. And Google Now doesn't tell me anything interesting.

I'm not a huge fan of the pebble, because it doesn't have a touchscreen (making navigation a pain), and it's functionality is limited. However it's one of the only Smartwatches on the market that lasts a day on a charge, so there's that. 
I wouldn't mind having something with buttons, as long as I don't have to contort my hand to use them. I actually kind of miss physical buttons on my phone. I can never escape the disconnected feeling when using a touchscreen, however routine it becomes. Besides, isn't it hard to use a touchscreen that's only about four fingertips large?

mtmerrick

« Reply #133 on: 12 May 2013, 16:20 »

The only times I've ever ran out my note 2's battery is when in watching a TON of YouTube or playing lots of ingress. But i keep a spare battery in my wallet for those scenarios. 

(please note that the Note 2 has the second-best battery life of any smartphone. #1 is Motorola Razr Maxx line.)

@LTK: I use Google now a lot. It's actually quite useful to me. And I have considered commissioning some sort of arm bracer to hold my phone as a arm/wrist computer. This is in fact a very alluring idea and one that I may yet still do.

Based on my experiences with the Sony Smartwatch, it's actually not difficult to use. Tap and swipe. Two finger tap to go home.

The whole point of a smartwatch is that it lets you do the basics without pulling out your phone. If I can't do those things, why have a smartwatch?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #134 on: 12 May 2013, 16:50 »

I kind of regret switching from the Note 1 to the S3 and not to the Note 2. The Note 1 had so many problems, including awful battery life and never getting Jelly Bean, so I was skeptical about the Note 2. I found out later that apparently the Note 2 fixed a LOT of the problems. I'm not due for an upgrade until next year, so I'll probably get the Note 4 next summer.

The S3 has decent battery life, though, especially with my Mophie case. Not lasting a day with that is pretty rare, but not unheard of.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

mtmerrick

« Reply #135 on: 12 May 2013, 17:05 »

the Note 1 actually recently got JB. if you still have your own phone (and its not rooted or anything) plug it into kies and pull down the update. ;) (i'm not sure if the OTA will be avaliable or not, if it doesn't have service)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #136 on: 12 May 2013, 17:09 »

I'm aware, I just meant never getting it while I was still using it. I still have it, but I put CM10 on it ages ago. (And honestly, I rooted it the day I got it last March.) It's sat unused since I got the S3 about four months ago.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

mtmerrick

« Reply #137 on: 12 May 2013, 19:04 »

Also, quite relevant:

He should try to have more foresight, and carry no less than 5 computers on him at all times, like a sensible person

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #138 on: 13 May 2013, 03:30 »

Battery life comparisons: remember that phone battery life is crucially dependent on the proximity or otherwise of your carrier's transmitters, and thus how much searching the phone feels it needs to do.  For instance, when I changed my phone from an iPhone 3Gs to a 4S, I also changed carrier.  Now I get far poorer battery life while at home, but at work the battery life is at least as much better; I can even see the difference in usage if I spend a day gardening at the back of the house or in my study at the front. 

In other words, almost all anecdotal comments on battery life are useless unless you can be sure that all conditions are equivalent.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

mtmerrick

« Reply #139 on: 13 May 2013, 03:40 »

Which, actually, has been tested many times for the phones i'm talking about. feel free to look it up online, they're unmatched ;)

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #140 on: 24 Jun 2013, 15:54 »

One nice thing about Cyanogenmod: Blacklist feature. It's really cut down on the number of spam calls/voicemails I get. With my current blacklist, if your phone is registered in Washington, Oregon, Florida, Texas, or Michigan, and you try to call me, I won't get your call (though I did make one exception for a coworker who has a Washington phone number). I've also blocked obviously-fake numbers, like the "000" area code.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

mtmerrick

« Reply #141 on: 25 Jun 2013, 02:22 »

Sony Xperia Z Ultra.

Beautiful, amazing, i must have this...... up until i saw that they cut out the freaking camera flash

what the honest-to-god fuck Sony? An absolutely top-of-the-line device, with a pretty good camera to boot, and you cut out the flash.

Its an LED for fuck's sake. how much does it really cost to put in an LED?

I was about ready to throw down money i do not have for this thing. Its awesome. but this is an absolute dealbreaker - I actually use the LED flash of my phone as a flashlight significantly more than i use the camera.

You lost a sale Sony. It could have been a perfect product.....

---

Now that i've written this i kinda feel like it might fit better in the vitriolic letters thread. IDK. I feel to lazy to copypasta it over right now, so......

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #142 on: 25 Jun 2013, 02:35 »

So I was looking into getting a new phone, and from reviews, the HTC one looked like it was the better choice. Then I looked around for where to get it. Turns out that HTC has decided that Norway is only getting the 32GB model. Because this far north, we apparently don't need more storage.

!!!!!!!

So I got a Samsung S4. It's supposedly an inferior phone, but dammit I have lived through some generations of not enough space for all my music on my phone, and I'm not going through that shit again.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

mtmerrick

« Reply #143 on: 25 Jun 2013, 02:43 »

The S4 and the One are opposite ends of the spectrum, completely different directions. Personally i think the S4 is the overall better package, but i know most of it really just boils down to personal taste. But rest assured they are the two best phones on the market right now.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #144 on: 25 Jun 2013, 05:35 »

Wait, 96 gigs (storage plus SD card) isn't enough for your music? I mean, I understand if you have more music than that, but why would you need it all on your phone at all times?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #145 on: 25 Jun 2013, 06:01 »

My CDs are the archive, but my portable player is my usual listening device, so I like to have nearly everything on there - currently about 240GB (in compressed format), but there's still some stuff missing.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #146 on: 25 Jun 2013, 06:03 »

If you need that much portable music, you use a dedicated device, like pwhodges does.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #147 on: 25 Jun 2013, 06:31 »

The HTC one doesn't support additional SD cards. So if you buy one with 32 gigs, that's all you'll ever have for apps, books, movies, music, you name it. If I cut the music that I have on my pc now down to the stuff I actually listen to, that's still more than 32 gigs.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

mtmerrick

« Reply #148 on: 25 Jun 2013, 07:45 »

Also keep in mind that a modern "mobile" OS has an allocated system partition of about 5-10 GB.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #149 on: 25 Jun 2013, 09:12 »

The area occupied by "other" on my iPhone (4S with iOS6), which appears to be the OS, is barely 1GB.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up