THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Android  (Read 89830 times)

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
Re: Android
« Reply #150 on: 25 Jun 2013, 10:56 »

If i remember how iOS shows stuff correctly,  the system partition is hidden from you - you can't see how much space it takes up, but you should be able to get a rough guesstimate by subtracting the amount of user available space from the amount listed in the back of the device.

(note: this is logic drawing from a rough recollection. I may be completely wrong here,  possibly)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #151 on: 25 Jun 2013, 12:56 »

I haven't ever seen a single device or component that had exactly as much storage space as it claimed having. Windows says my 64GB SSD has 59.6GB of space, my music player says that my 16GB MicroSD card actually has a total space of 14.976 GB, and my phone's internal storage reports 13.33GB available of the advertised 16GB. I think that only in the last case there is actually space being reserved for the system.

It seems that there is also a big chuck of space allocated to something that Android does not recognise, seeing how the storage report leaves about half of the used space unaccounted for, even in the 'Misc.' category. Those are most likely the full ROM backups I've been keeping, but I'm not sure.

I'm actually much more interested in where all of my RAM is going. Just like the storage space, it leaves some of the advertised 1GB RAM unaccounted for, only adding up to 694MB, but the running applications are only shown to take up half of that. I assume there are a number of unlisted background processes being used for the Android OS, but then those are taking up a whopping 345MB of the available RAM. Isn't that a bit excessive?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #152 on: 25 Jun 2013, 13:27 »

I haven't ever seen a single device or component that had exactly as much storage space as it claimed having. Windows says my 64GB SSD has 59.6GB of space, my music player says that my 16GB MicroSD card actually has a total space of 14.976 GB, and my phone's internal storage reports 13.33GB available of the advertised 16GB. I think that only in the last case there is actually space being reserved for the system.

There's this thing that I hate about advertised storage sizes. The 64GB advertised is 64 Gigabytes (64 x10^3 bytes), but that also a tad over 59.6 Gibibytes (59.6 x2^30 bytes). I suppose technically they aren't wrong, since the Giga- prefix does mean x10^3, but computers will usually report the size in kibi-/Mebi-/Gibi- bytes with a label of kilo-/Mega-/Giga-.

Long story short, what you bought was indeed 64GB but I doubt that's what you thought you were buying. I've fallen in that hole before as well.

To make matters worse, I've sometimes seen RAM with kilo-/Mega-/Giga- prefixes meaning the 2-based value and storage devices using the same prefixes but actually meaning the 10-based value.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #153 on: 20 Jul 2013, 13:55 »

On storage space: It checks out perfectly.

I've had a little problem with excessive data usage over the past couple of weeks: 'Android OS' would show a constant background bandwidth use of about 100 MB a week, and users cannot restrict the background data use of this process. After some searching online, I figured out that it was related to Google backing up your phone data to its servers, and sure enough, when I disabled Google backup, the data use went back to normal. Now, I still had to figure out what application was using all this data, since I couldn't remember what I'd installed when the data use started going up. Before I could figure out how to read application folder metadata ('last modified' date), I came across another user on stackexchange who had the same problem, and one of the comments said "You aren't changing your wallpaper ten times a day or something, are you?" and the OP said "Yeah, I have Tasker set up to change my wallpaper according to my location, but it only changes two or three times every day."

Now everything falls into place. I'd also recently installed a wallpaper rotation application that changes my wallpaper every 6 hours, and every time that happened, Google would upload a new backup of it to its servers - without my knowledge. Those high-resolution wallpapers are about 4 MB each, and they would change 3 times a day. Multiply that by seven days and the total data use is... 84 MB per week. So that checks out too.

Unfortunately there's no way of telling Google not to back up my wallpaper - because why do I care about losing a picture that I pulled from the internet - and given how infuriatingly difficult it is to actually get in contact with Google about their services, I guess I'm sticking to a single wallpaper from now on.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

mtmerrick

« Reply #154 on: 20 Jul 2013, 15:30 »

...I've never had that problem o_O have you tried unchecking Sync Google Photos and Sync Picasa Web Albums?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #155 on: 20 Jul 2013, 16:05 »

Where do I do that?

Edit: Ah, I see what you mean. Google Photos is enabled, but not set up to upload anything as far as I can tell. My account doesn't have anything picasa-related. Anyway, my sync settings are irrelevant because those are handled through the Google Services process, not the Android OS process. I guess the backup settings are handled by the OS to reduce the risk of data loss in the event that Google Services fails.
« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2013, 16:58 by LTK »

Parkour Lewis

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Does my butt look bigger on the inside?
« Reply #156 on: 21 Jul 2013, 00:14 »

I got mad at CM10.1 because they can't seem to ever fix the dozens of annoying bugs in their OS that crop up on my phone, and went back to the stock firmware for the last couple of months.  Then last week I discovered that it wasn't getting the awesome battery life that I thought it was all this time, but that the battery stats on the stock firmware just didn't ever read right, ever.  So I spent the last two days jacking with my phone, trying different stuff, and finally left regular CM10 with its reliance on the old, outdated bootloader and baseband, and reflashed the new bootloader and an experimental build of CM10 that some guy named "TonyP" made, and after all of this time, I FINALLY have a build of android jellybean that actually works on my damn phone.

So color me happy.

I am currently considering whether to jack with my Kindle fire HD's firmware or just leave it the hell alone.
When heaven's in the music, Hell is in control.
The Angels got the phonebox but the Devil's got the rock and roll.

mtmerrick

« Reply #157 on: 21 Jul 2013, 12:45 »

Jack that Kindle!

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #158 on: 09 Aug 2013, 13:52 »

Welp, I just ordered my new Samsung Galaxy Note II. My sister will be taking my current S3. I'm excited! I have also decided that I probably don't need to keep my tablet at this point, as I rarely use it. 10.1" Acer A500. Would anyone be interested in buying it from me? Send me a pm if so.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

mtmerrick

« Reply #159 on: 09 Aug 2013, 14:15 »

Looks over at my own a500. Nah, I'll pass on this one.

I hope you got that note 2 cheap, neko, because while it's an awesome phone the Note 3 is coming out next month.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #160 on: 09 Aug 2013, 14:19 »

Of course it is. Argh. Well, my sister wanted a new phone but didn't want to spend anything on it and there was no way she was going to wait another month. Plus I can never afford phones when they first come out.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

mtmerrick

« Reply #161 on: 09 Aug 2013, 14:25 »

What carrier are you on, btw?

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #162 on: 09 Aug 2013, 14:42 »

Verizon.

mtmerrick

« Reply #163 on: 09 Aug 2013, 14:52 »

Well, at least you should get the next update then. Samsung is supposed to be skipping 4.2 for this thing to go right to 4.3, which is expected to be announced late this year. Verizon is slow but reliable with rolling out updates, so that's good for you. AT&T

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #164 on: 09 Aug 2013, 18:45 »

My complaint is that carriers have anything to do with updates, rather than people just being able to download the updates from the phone manufacturer themselves as soon as it's ready.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

mtmerrick

« Reply #165 on: 09 Aug 2013, 19:03 »

Yeah, that's as issue with american carriers, mostly >_> stupid as hell.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #166 on: 10 Aug 2013, 01:46 »

Well, at least you should get the next update then. Samsung is supposed to be skipping 4.2 for this thing to go right to 4.3, which is expected to be announced late this year. Verizon is slow but reliable with rolling out updates, so that's good for you. AT&T

AT&T what?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

mtmerrick

« Reply #167 on: 10 Aug 2013, 01:54 »

:psyduck: I don't remember writing that AT&T.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #168 on: 10 Aug 2013, 05:11 »

Matthew fell victim to their subliminal advertising.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #169 on: 10 Aug 2013, 06:57 »

I prefer superliminal advertising.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

mtmerrick

« Reply #170 on: 10 Aug 2013, 13:29 »

You kidding? I wouldn't touch AT&T with a 10 foot pole. :P

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #171 on: 10 Aug 2013, 13:30 »

A ten-foot pole is good for checking for ceiling traps though.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #172 on: 13 Aug 2013, 07:32 »

I got my phone and it is gigantic and gorgeous and I love it. And it's even easier to type with the touch screen now that it's easier for me to hold it in my man hands.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #173 on: 13 Aug 2013, 08:36 »

What the fuck? :psyduck: I haven't said yes to this yet but if I want my school email through my phone I have to. (edit to put the text on a different line than the pictures)
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2013, 10:28 by Method of Madness »

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #174 on: 13 Aug 2013, 08:39 »

I would not agree to that. And maybe even complain to IT about it.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #175 on: 13 Aug 2013, 10:29 »

IT has nothing to do with it, it's required to connect to Microsoft Outlook (which is what my school uses). I didn't agree, btw, if I have to check it from my phone I'll just go to the website.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #176 on: 13 Aug 2013, 10:53 »

Wow that is a shitstorm of requirements. Why would Outlook need those? It hasn't for my systems.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #177 on: 13 Aug 2013, 10:54 »

I've never seen a permission request like that. Is it from an application? I use a Live.nl e-mail address (also from Microsoft), why haven't I received such a request?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #178 on: 13 Aug 2013, 10:55 »

When I tried to access the email account through Android's standard e-mail application, it gave me that. I of course said no and removed the account.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #179 on: 13 Aug 2013, 10:55 »

That's a list of what admin mode enables - I presume only one or two things are actually required to set up ActiveSync (which I presume is the point).  Do they not allow vanilla IMAP if you'd rather (admittedly, I don't on my server, but some places do)?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #180 on: 13 Aug 2013, 10:57 »

Is that easy to do?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

mtmerrick

« Reply #181 on: 13 Aug 2013, 13:41 »

I've never seen that before. I have that same app (Samsung stock email app) set up on my phone, and I never had to do that. It is set up with a custom Pop3 email account, however.

Device admistrator is as close to root acess as you can get without rooting your phone. I can think of no reason email would need it.

What do you mean "hook up to Outlook?" outlook.com? Because Microsoft has a dedicated app for that,  works great.

There's no such thing as an email account that requires outlook, and activesync is dead,  so...

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #182 on: 13 Aug 2013, 14:05 »

My email doesn't work with the outlook.com application for some reason. Gonna look into it.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

mtmerrick

« Reply #183 on: 13 Aug 2013, 14:10 »

Well, is it a from-microsoft account, or is it just an email account you're using with outlook on the pc?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #184 on: 13 Aug 2013, 14:15 »

Ahh, I see. If I go to outlook.com, it doesn't work, it only works when I go to outlook.com/(my school). Apparently that's different. I'll see if I can tweak the settings in the Outlook.com app to let me do use it.

Edit: Apparently not, there's no options for settings in the app before I sign in. Wonderful.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

mtmerrick

« Reply #185 on: 13 Aug 2013, 14:36 »

That's... Bizarre.

I've never used it, but I hear K9Mail is one of the best Android email clients

ackblom12

« Reply #186 on: 27 Aug 2013, 18:37 »

Alright, so Google has dropped the price of the Nexus 4 by $100, making the 8gb $199 and the 16gb $249.

Nexus 4

This may convince me to get the N4 rather than wait for the N5 later this year. I am in desperate need of a cell phone and waiting until November may be a bit much, especially since I expect them to raise the base price by $50.

mtmerrick

« Reply #187 on: 27 Aug 2013, 19:22 »

Something some people don't realize when they buy an Unlocked Phone in the US: it won't work on all carriers. The Nexus 4 is 100% compatible with AT&T & T-Mobile, up to HSPA+42 "4G" speeds. It will also work on many prepaid carriers. Make sure your service provides you with a GSM signal before purchasing.

ackblom12

« Reply #188 on: 27 Aug 2013, 21:36 »

I'm already well aware of that. Planning on abusing a T-Mobile pre-paid account.

mtmerrick

« Reply #189 on: 27 Aug 2013, 22:03 »

Good for you. :) you'd be surprised how many people are incapable of understanding that fact.

And T-Mobile prepaid (unlimited for me) is the only wireless service I can recommend or would ever personally choose.  I fully approve.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #190 on: 28 Aug 2013, 14:31 »

Well, sorry to say that, but "unlocked" meaning "oh yeah it's not really unlocked, we're just fuckin' with ya" is kind of a bullshit move.

If a phone is unlocked in Germany, it will work on EVERY carrier. And phone manufacturers must provide unlocked phones in some way or another.

ackblom12

« Reply #191 on: 28 Aug 2013, 14:35 »

Well, it's not because the carriers purposefully block them exactly, it's because some use FDMA and some use CDMA. Our carriers just never got around to agreeing on which standard to use.

Edit: Wait, or is it the GSM and UMTS freqencies that I'm thinking of?

mtmerrick

« Reply #192 on: 28 Aug 2013, 16:07 »

Gsm/hsdpa/HSPA are the global standard that Unlocked devices are compatible with

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #193 on: 28 Aug 2013, 21:03 »

Each is half right. It's GSM and CDMA. Verizon and Sprint are on CDMA, so unlocked phones don't work on them.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #194 on: 10 Sep 2013, 13:05 »

I was just wondering: is it at all possible to specifically disable the phone functions on android? We can disable GPS, bluetooth, wifi, 3G, mobile broadband altogether, but I can't press a button that stops me from getting calls and text messages altogether while having the rest enabled. It's something that bothered me about my unlocked Sony Reader as well: according to the battery usage stats, 'mobile standby' was using the highest percentage of battery life, when the reader didn't even have a mobile radio. (Although I could be misremembering that and the battery usage was under 'phone idle' instead, which would make more sense.)

I assume airplane mode does turn it off, but isn't it still weird that the primary function of a phone cannot be directly controlled?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #195 on: 10 Sep 2013, 14:10 »

You can put it in Airplane Mode and still use wifi, but I don't know how to turn off phone/texting while keeping mobile data on.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #196 on: 22 Oct 2013, 12:07 »

So, here's an interesting little factoid I picked up while working for SiriusXM:  Apparently even though the KINDLEs use an android based OS, they do not support the google play store, and therefore do not have access to all those apps (at least by default, obviously this can be changed if you want to take the measures to do so), and yeah, I got tons of calls, from people pissed that they paid for the SiriusXM internet radio, and couldn't use it on their android device, even though there was an android app.

On last report, neither Amazon nor SiriusXM planned to address this.

Oh, and the tasker and task killer on my Galaxy S II are both pretty cool, so thank you for those recommendations.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #197 on: 22 Oct 2013, 13:30 »

It's the same problem I have with my (older) Nook Color. Just because it runs on Android OS doesn't mean it uses the Google Play store. It has to be a unit that specifically allows access to Google Play.... The annoyance of course being that I bought the color instead of a black and white e-reader specifically because it could access 'an app store'.

mtmerrick

« Reply #198 on: 22 Oct 2013, 18:05 »

That's the worst part of android being open source. Luckily nooks are easily rooted, so the play store can be added to them. Newer nooks already have play access.

I can't recommend kindles for exactly this reason: the Amazon app store is underwhelming at best, and it'll be a cold day in hell before amazon lets the play store on their devices.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #199 on: 22 Oct 2013, 18:15 »

I actually highly recommend Kindles, but only the cheapest ones, and only for reading books. Then again I don't see the point of a midsize tablet, it doesn't do anything my phone can't and I always have my phone with me.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up