THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Android  (Read 89908 times)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
Re: Android
« Reply #200 on: 22 Oct 2013, 22:13 »

I've been wondering, actually: aren't there any third-party DRM-free apk sources that can serve as an alternative to the google play store? The only third-party applications that I ever install on my phone are Humble Bundle games. That was honestly not how I was expecting to use my phone, especially given how DRM-freedom has become an important goal for music and games on PC. When I wanted to get applications onto my rooted Sony Reader I basically used pirated stuff. Does Google really have such an overwhelming presence on the platform that free (as in speech) app stores aren't even viable?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #201 on: 23 Oct 2013, 00:32 »

Well, you can install the Amazon app store on any device, but I think you're more asking for SlideMe or AppsLib

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #202 on: 23 Oct 2013, 08:57 »

I have been thinking of rooting my nook. I was also thinking of the older Nexus 7, but they didn't have any external storage option other than a work around involving a dongle. And of course the money that I really can't afford to spend on it...

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #203 on: 23 Oct 2013, 08:58 »

On my Galaxy S3, you don't have to root it to install outside apps, you just have to go into settings and enable that option, but then you can put any apk you want on it (with a few exceptions for apps that require root, but there are some apps that require root that are available in the Play Store!)
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

mtmerrick

« Reply #204 on: 23 Oct 2013, 09:03 »

Best cheap tablet with expandable storage: Hisense Sero 7 Pro

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #205 on: 23 Oct 2013, 09:27 »

hmmm. That does look pretty good, thank you. It pretty much has the options I want from it... Mostly reading books and PDFs away from my computer and access to Google Play. I will have to check and see if they carry it at the nearby store.

mtmerrick

« Reply #206 on: 23 Oct 2013, 09:32 »

Downside to the Hisense Sero 7 Pro: its a Walmart exclusive.

Also make sure not to confuse it with the terrible Hisense Sero 7 LTE (light)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #207 on: 23 Oct 2013, 09:35 »

I really can't recommend the basic Kindle/Nook enough, simply because of the ease of reading. E-ink is a lot easier on the eyes than a standard screen, it's basically like reading paper. Plus battery life.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

mtmerrick

« Reply #208 on: 23 Oct 2013, 09:41 »

Yeah, but those aren't compatible with websites/apps/book readers other than the one its branded after.

Unless, of course, you want to get a YotaPhone

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #209 on: 23 Oct 2013, 09:45 »

I love my Nook simple touch. I have a lot of... um, non-purchased books that were really simple to sideload. And it's so much better than reading on a screen with a backlight.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

mtmerrick

« Reply #210 on: 23 Oct 2013, 09:47 »

I've used a Simple Touch With Glowlight. I like it better than the non-lit one. :P

actually, the Nook Simple Touch line can be hacked into a halfway capable android tablet, but its not the easiest process.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #211 on: 23 Oct 2013, 09:49 »

I have a cheap little book light that I use if I want to read in the dark. Which is rare. And I have a phone, tablet, ipod touch, and laptop for anything else I want to do. I read often enough that I prefer having what is basically a "unitasker" like the Nook simple touch.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #212 on: 23 Oct 2013, 10:12 »

I love my Nook simple touch. I have a lot of... um, non-purchased books that were really simple to sideload. And it's so much better than reading on a screen with a backlight.
This. Plus you can use Calibre to convert if your book is in the wrong format.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #213 on: 23 Oct 2013, 10:18 »

Exactly.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #214 on: 14 Nov 2013, 10:09 »

Anyone who says Android (and probably iOS as well) tablets are easy to use has never had to explain to my mom over the phone how to use one.  :psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #215 on: 14 Nov 2013, 10:16 »

iOS is definitely easier to use than Android. Ease of use is not why you get an Android.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #216 on: 14 Nov 2013, 10:19 »

I got it for her as a birthday present... the reason I got it instead of an iPad was that it was half the price.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #217 on: 14 Nov 2013, 15:26 »

Android 4.4 overview. Looking forward to trying it out.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #218 on: 14 Nov 2013, 15:26 »

I'm still waiting on 4.3.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

mtmerrick

« Reply #219 on: 14 Nov 2013, 18:02 »

iOS is definitely easier to use than Android. Ease of use is not why you get an Android.

lolwut. everyone i know with an iOS device is constantly annoyed/confused by it, or has no idea on 2/3 of its features. they all find android intuitive and "much nicer", but most of them are too brainwashed to ever switch away.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #220 on: 14 Nov 2013, 18:10 »

If Android is intuitive then I'd like to hire you to explain to my mom how to use it so I don't have to.  :roll:

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #221 on: 14 Nov 2013, 19:02 »

It is intuitive, but I wouldn't want to explain it to my mother.  The fact is, some people aren't ever going to see a computer as intuitive because they lack the knowledge to understand new technology.  That's not the tech's fault.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #222 on: 15 Nov 2013, 01:03 »

lolwut. everyone i know with an iOS device is constantly annoyed/confused by it, or has no idea on 2/3 of its features.

I am not confused by it - but then computers are my business.  I am annoyed by it, just like I'm annoyed by almost everything that the so-called designers of UI systems do.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #223 on: 15 Nov 2013, 03:05 »

I don't find Android intuitive at all, everyone in my family has Samsung phones and I just don't get it. I've had a crappy Blackberry for years, and while it is easy enough for me to use, it is a piece of shit phone. I've always had problems with computers and technology, I just don't understand it at all. Then I tried my friend's Mac, and wow. I've only ever had PC's, but Macs are so much better! I got an iPad when my crappy laptop died a few years ago, and I bought a Macbook Pro this year, I've never been happier. Getting an iPhone when I'm going to the states next week (they're too expensive in Europe), and I am so excited.

I know a lot of people who give me crap for liking Apple products, but I don't care. I'm not tech savvy, and Apple makes products for non-tech savvy people. Android seems to be intuitive for the tech savvies though, so my brother prefers it for that reason, my mother is like me and absolutely hates it.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #224 on: 15 Nov 2013, 03:15 »

The fact is, some people aren't ever going to see a computer as intuitive because they lack the knowledge to understand new technology.

This statement contradicts itself. The word 'intuitive' means you don't need any knowledge in order to understand, here's from the dictionary:

Intuitive: using or based on what one feels to be true even without conscious reasoning; instinctive.

So yeah, if you need knowledge about technology to understand it, it's not intuitive.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #225 on: 15 Nov 2013, 03:49 »

Yes and no - something may be intuitive given your general background, without specific knowledge of the matter.  Hence people who have grown up with different levels of technology in general may find the same thing more or less intuitive.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #226 on: 15 Nov 2013, 05:21 »

Yes and no - something may be intuitive given your general background, without specific knowledge of the matter.  Hence people who have grown up with different levels of technology in general may find the same thing more or less intuitive.

This.  Intuition is extremely subjective and specific to each individual.

Some people are great with numbers, others with writing.  They're going to feel differently about how intuitive math is.

And yes, I have an android, but I have used several products with, ios's and I don't find them particularly intuitive.  That changes nothing about how you find it.  :-)
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #227 on: 15 Nov 2013, 07:33 »

I think intuition is like doing a math problem and writing the answer without showing your work.  It's your brain's abiltiy to bypass linear reasoning and jump to a conclusion.

This may be due to wiring, knowledge, background, whatever.

mtmerrick

« Reply #228 on: 15 Nov 2013, 14:58 »

I made a long, ranty post. I deleted it.

What tablet did you get your grandmother? What version of Android is it running?

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #229 on: 15 Nov 2013, 19:21 »

It's this one. And I got it for my mother (my grandmother has been dead for 15 years).

mtmerrick

« Reply #230 on: 16 Nov 2013, 00:08 »

what OTA is it running? ships with 4.0, sure, but the update to 4.1 completely overhauled everything. it should be on 4.2 by now.

also, if you are setting up a samsung for someone make sure this is installed: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teamviewer.quicksupport.market.samsung

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #231 on: 16 Nov 2013, 08:08 »

I don't know what version it's running, but it's probably still 4.0. She hasn't been able to get it connected to the internet. She's stuck in bed for four weeks after a surgery, and nobody at the place she's at knows the password for the wifi.  :psyduck: That app looks like it would be useful once she has an internet connection.

blacksinow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #232 on: 12 Dec 2013, 04:13 »

What I don't like about android is it wants to be both a phone and a tablet OS, but fails to divide it's attention. It feels as though google pays more attention to developing the OS for phones then tablets.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #233 on: 12 Dec 2013, 04:59 »

I don't think the distinction is always as big as you think. A 7" tablet is much closer in size to a 5" phone than a 10" tablet. Phones these days are just smaller tablets that can make phone calls.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

blacksinow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #234 on: 12 Dec 2013, 09:10 »

I don't think the distinction is always as big as you think. A 7" tablet is much closer in size to a 5" phone than a 10" tablet. Phones these days are just smaller tablets that can make phone calls.

It becomes more distinctive when you can't use the newer features of kitkat on your tablet. Like I said, google seems more interested in making phones or "mini tablets" instead of actual functioning tablets. When I buy a seven inch tablet, making a call is the last thing on my mind. Besides, some of the larger tablets don't come with the ability to dial out, you have to look for an appropriate app to make that functionality available.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #235 on: 12 Dec 2013, 10:46 »

Can't dial out? Maybe somebody stole the control crystal!
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

blacksinow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #236 on: 12 Dec 2013, 13:38 »

Can't dial out? Maybe somebody stole the control crystal!

Damn you and your stargate references!

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #237 on: 12 Dec 2013, 14:04 »

Indeed.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #238 on: 12 Dec 2013, 14:57 »

It becomes more distinctive when you can't use the newer features of kitkat on your tablet. Like I said, google seems more interested in making phones or "mini tablets" instead of actual functioning tablets. When I buy a seven inch tablet, making a call is the last thing on my mind. Besides, some of the larger tablets don't come with the ability to dial out, you have to look for an appropriate app to make that functionality available.
Aside from the ability to make calls, what can you do on a phone that you can't do on a tablet?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #239 on: 12 Dec 2013, 15:12 »

Keep it in your pocket so that you have it with you at all times.  I've used my iPhone to connect with servers to put stuff right while waiting in the gate to board a plane at Heathrow; also while out walking my dogs; also in the restaurant of a hotel in Nepal.  A tablet-size screen would have made it a bit easier; but I wouldn't have been carrying it at all.  And, of course, I received the phone calls to alert me to the problems in the first instance on the same device.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #240 on: 12 Dec 2013, 15:14 »

That just means your pockets are too small :parrot:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

blacksinow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #241 on: 12 Dec 2013, 16:49 »

Aside from the ability to make calls, what can you do on a phone that you can't do on a tablet?

Alot of the new kitkat's new functionality is related to the ability to make calls, something that the nexus 7 does lack and there is no WAY I could fit that in my pockets.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #242 on: 12 Dec 2013, 21:23 »

Honestly, if it wasn't so fucking expensive to get phones before you're due for one, I'd get a Note 3 and this. Big and powerful enough to make a 7" tablet mostly redundant, with the battery life to even get me through a couple days.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #243 on: 02 Jan 2014, 05:24 »

Since upgrading to 4.3, I couldn't teach my phone new words (and it forgot all the words I'd taught it!), causing me to finally convert to Swype. The space bar is way too narrow, so I often hit the period key instead if I'm not swiping. Other than that, I like it.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #244 on: 10 Feb 2014, 13:05 »

Thousands flock to eBay to sell iPhones with Flappy Bird installed.

From the first comment:

People... are SO. FUCKING. STUPID.

(This may be only tangentially related to Android but I felt this was still the best place to express this.)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #245 on: 10 Feb 2014, 13:38 »

I don't know if it was taken off the Play Store as well, but an .apk won't be hard to find if someone still wants it.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #246 on: 10 Feb 2014, 14:13 »

Of course, that's one option. The other is to play one of the ELEVENTY HUNDRED GADZILLION CLONES.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #247 on: 10 Feb 2014, 14:14 »

Heh, I'd rather not, I got sick of Flappy Bird like 5 minutes in. It's all the frustration with none of the fun.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #248 on: 13 Feb 2014, 14:55 »

Notification on my Galaxy S3
Quote from: Security information
The device has detected an application attempting to perform actions that are not permitted. It is recommended that you restart your device.
I can dismiss it or reboot, but either has it coming up again. It won't tell me WHAT the application is, because that would be far too helpful :psyduck:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #249 on: 13 Feb 2014, 16:10 »

My flash seems to be going off from time to time, but I can't figure out what I'm doing that's triggering it.. :(
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up