THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 04:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Android  (Read 89286 times)

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
Re: Android
« Reply #350 on: 11 Feb 2015, 20:31 »

I only recently got a cell phone and am still getting the hang of it.

It was the cheapest one I cound find that had no contract. It's a Kyocera Event running Ice Cream Sandwich (whatever that means), $35 a month from Virgin.

And for some weird reason, any photo I take keeps coming back after I delete it. Which really sucks because the camera has no auto focus, so the memory is full of blurry pics that won't go away.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #351 on: 13 Feb 2015, 15:41 »

For the past few weeks I've been struggling with the worst battery drain issues I've ever had on Android. I think I've "solved" it for now, but not sure yet.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Aimless

« Reply #352 on: 13 Feb 2015, 15:47 »

And for some weird reason, any photo I take keeps coming back after I delete it. Which really sucks because the camera has no auto focus, so the memory is full of blurry pics that won't go away.

Have you tried deleting them using the stock gallery app or just from the camera app?

Does the problem persist even if you disable photo backup/sync?

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #353 on: 13 Feb 2015, 18:38 »

Have you tried deleting them using the stock gallery app or just from the camera app?

Does the problem persist even if you disable photo backup/sync?

Yes and yes.

Yes.

They also come back even if I take the microSD card out and delete the photos using my computer then put the card back in the phone.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Aimless

« Reply #354 on: 28 Feb 2015, 14:12 »

If you delete the photos directly from the microSD-card using your computer and then put the card back into the phone while making sure wifi and mobile data are turned off, do they still come back?

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #355 on: 01 Mar 2015, 17:43 »

If you delete the photos directly from the microSD-card using your computer and then put the card back into the phone while making sure wifi and mobile data are turned off, do they still come back?
Yes. :-(

The only way I've found is to format the SD card and do a complete factory reset on the phone itself, but I can't do that for every out of focus pic.
« Last Edit: 04 Mar 2015, 18:04 by SubaruStephen »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #356 on: 01 Apr 2015, 04:05 »

Sounds like your phone is literally haunted.

I'm running int-o o the problem that replies to an extremely long back - and- forth e-mail chain are no longer showing up in my browser inbox, only I do get mobile notifications of it arriving. Then when I try to open it, it just shows a blank. Does anyone have an e-mail application to recommend that's better than the stock application?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #357 on: 05 Apr 2015, 16:22 »

My phone has been updated to Lollipop. I hate it! The color schemes are ugly, it's slower (and spastic) and my data toggling widget is incompatible. Plus, it keeps refreshing when I try and switch between apps. Tons of fun when reading long articles  :roll:

*whine*
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #358 on: 05 Apr 2015, 17:20 »

Why'd you upgrade then?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #359 on: 06 Apr 2015, 05:48 »

My phone has been updated to Lollipop. I hate it!

Glad it's not just me. Have you discovered the fun that comes with the volume controls?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #360 on: 06 Apr 2015, 06:46 »

I generally just have it all the way up or on silent so I haven't discovered anything yet. Anything I should be aware of?

Method- if I don't update, I get an annoying pop up every 24 hours, demanding that I do so. I put it off for a few days but after a while I give in. Plus, I don't know if I dislike the updates until after they happen.  :-P

(Can you un-update? Is this a thing?)
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #361 on: 06 Apr 2015, 06:58 »

Ah. On my Nexus, the default volume slider was the media volume, regardless of what you were doing. Now it's changed to the alarm/notification volume unless you are doing something that looks media-ish. Sometimes.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #362 on: 07 Jul 2015, 22:05 »

Sounds like your phone is literally haunted.

Aaaand now it's almost ready to do some of its own haunting. For the past two months it's been randomly restarting itself, yesterday the alarm went off at 5:00 AM. It was set for 6AM... :? Then it went of at 6AM like it was supposed to. And then at 7... :x
Today during lunch I take it out of my pocket to watch old episodes of Top Gear and it was off, and it wouldn't turn on. After smacking it on the table, taking out the battery and rubbing the power contacts with an eraser, and swearing a blue streak at it, it finally turned back on.

When I got home after work it did the same thing, and when I plugged in the charger the LED started blinking red.

Damn thing had better last another two weeks, I can't afford a better one till after the next payday.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #363 on: 23 Jul 2015, 13:00 »

I made the move from iPhone to a Samsung Galaxy 5 and so far, I am loving it so much.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #364 on: 23 Jul 2015, 17:13 »

If you're feeling brave, try a custom ROM! Cyanogenmod hasn't disappointed me yet and will keep your operating system up to date even when Samsung doesn't.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #365 on: 23 Jul 2015, 17:21 »

I was pretty disappointed to find out that Cyanogenmod never released a ROM for my phone...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #366 on: 23 Jul 2015, 17:28 »

Any other newbie Android tips would be appreciated. :)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #367 on: 23 Jul 2015, 17:47 »

I was pretty disappointed to find out that Cyanogenmod never released a ROM for my phone...
Well ain't that a kick in the teeth. What's your phone?

Any other newbie Android tips would be appreciated. :)
Well uh, maybe install the Swiftkey keyboard, I'm pretty happy with that too. AVG antivirus would be a good idea. TitaniumBackup for, well, backup. You could customise your home screen with launcher applications, which is a good way to personalise without having to jump into the deep end of installing a custom operating system. There are hundreds of them, take your pick. My choice is ADWLauncher.

Keep in mind that I've chosen these options years ago and never changed them, so something better might have come along since.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #368 on: 23 Jul 2015, 17:51 »

Well ain't that a kick in the teeth. What's your phone?
LG Optimus F6 (model number LG-D500)
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #369 on: 11 Aug 2015, 19:41 »

I am now connected to the internet on my laptop for free, by using my phone's data connection. And all I had to do was root my phone at the campus library this morning. The last time I rooted a phone was the first smartphone I ever had and it was to get rid of bloatware. The connection is slow though, I will buy real internet service eventually.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #370 on: 13 Aug 2015, 07:29 »

So bluetooth tethering has caused me to hit my soft data limit in rather short order. Which means I'm not browsing the Internet at blistering speeds of 150 kbps. The forum still runs almost as well as before on those speeds, but videos and social media are pretty out of the question. Fortunately someone from charter is coming today.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #371 on: 13 Aug 2015, 11:07 »

What service do you use?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #372 on: 13 Aug 2015, 17:49 »

What service do you use?

Virgin, because it's the cheapest way for me to have a smartphone. I get "unlimited" data, but after 2.5 GB a month I'm throttled to 2G speeds.

Normally I'll only go over that if I took a long road trip and used my phone for Spotify and GPS.  But even then it's a minor inconvenience for a couple days, my months start on the 15th.

In this case I blew through a gig of data in just a day of light browsing. Plus tethering isn't part of my data plan, I imagine the Superuser app I used wasn't very conservation-minded even though I was trying to stick to using mobile sites. But now that I have Charter set up for WiFi in my apartment that's not an issue anymore.
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2015, 17:54 by 94ssd »

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #373 on: 10 Sep 2015, 15:48 »

My phone decided that reading SD cards wasn't something it wanted to do anymore (I tried another card to check) so I'm putting out to pasture and replacing it with an HTC Desire 626. In the meantime my current phone is pretty much only useful for calls, texts, and light internet browsing. It doesn't have enough internal memory to run many apps, even if I did root it. And the audio port has been janky (cleaning didn't help) so I was already considering replacing it.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #374 on: 03 Oct 2015, 19:18 »

I've just discovered a life-changing app called Pushbullet, which when combined with a Chrome extension allows me to see push notifications from my phone on my computer. This is extremely useful, especially since my new phone's UI is still unfamiliar to me and I sometimes miss text message notifications.

I can also use it to send SMS messages from my computer. So now I can discretely text in class just like everyone with an iPhone and Macbook.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #375 on: 23 Oct 2015, 12:22 »

I got myself a second-hand Oneplus One. It seems like a good phone so far, but the OS has received some updates which means all the how-to articles about it that were written on launch are outdated now. It used to have features like wallpaper scrolling, but the instructions on how to enable it refer to menus that no longer exist, and I see videos of functions like dragging up from the home row to access custom assigned buttons that are absent now. The only thing the buttons can do now is one function out of six (!) for long pressing or double tapping. And none of those functions are put to sleep or launch a specific application other than the camera. It's very disappointing.

Also, it came with Chrome which I haven't used the mobile version of before, and it gave me three options for search engines based on my country: Google, Yahoo, and Vinden.nl. And no option to add another search engine. Seriously, what the fuck? Even the stock Android browser has at least twice the functionality of this thing.

I don't know what they did to this phone between now and when they released it but I think I won't waste any more time before installing Cyanogenmod on it.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #376 on: 23 Oct 2015, 14:46 »

Really? The version of Chrome on my Nexus 7 seems to be just the same as on desktop. Perhaps yours needs an update.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #377 on: 23 Oct 2015, 16:21 »

I imagine the tablet version of chrome would be similar to the desktop version, yes. The phone version is a lot different though.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #378 on: 24 Oct 2015, 11:11 »

Kind of obnoxious that you can't use tablet apps on a phone.The Nexus 6 is just one inch smaller than the Nexus 7.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #379 on: 25 Oct 2015, 04:37 »

There's some tweaking you can do to make the application think you're on a tablet, I'm guessing it involves spoofing the device model, but it's hardly worth the trouble.

Anyway, I slapped Cyanogenmod 12 on this thing and now all is well. It can do everything OxygenOS did and everything my old phone does. Got the Cyanogen browser back too, much happier with that. However, I was expecting this to be able to set a custom search engine, but apparently it forces you to select them from a list much like Chrome does. Unlike Chrome, it actually has DuckDuckGo as an option, which is what I was looking for in the first place, so it works out just fine.

Still, it's strange this functionality isn't there. How hard would it be to edit the file that contains these search engines and replacing the URL with a different one?

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #380 on: 05 Feb 2016, 02:32 »

The 626 was a bust, it seems. I never got used to the UI, and last week I restarted it (on a full charge) to see if that would fix the facebook messenger app not working and it never turned on.

I switched back to the LG Tribute (advantage of a prepaid account being that you can do that sort of thing) while awaiting delivery of my new phone, the Moto G.

It came today, I had some initial network configuration issues that Virgin worked out within a couple hours. Their customer service gets a bad rep but I've always found them to be pretty responsive.

hazlett

• Plantmonster
    • webdesign London
« Reply #381 on: 15 Feb 2016, 18:59 »

I learned that it is a waste of time saving file in android phone because, windows does not recognize it.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #382 on: 19 Feb 2016, 12:17 »

Really? I've never had a problem. What version of Android are you using?

Rhodderz

• Not quite a lurker
  • I certainly hope he got both eyes.
    • My url for random crap (yes i know its empty)
« Reply #383 on: 21 Feb 2016, 23:58 »

I saw some people either get confused or have questions about android so if you want, ask a question and i shall answer to my bestest ability as an android dev.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #384 on: 22 Feb 2016, 00:01 »

I'll keep that in mind if I continue to have problems getting the playstore to work in a genymotion VM.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Rhodderz

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #385 on: 22 Feb 2016, 00:09 »

Have you tried Bluestacks or AnDy? Geny used to have quite a few problems and i personally wouldnt call it "stable"

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #386 on: 22 Feb 2016, 00:25 »

Unfortunately, those two would require running an emulator in another VM.  Geny seems to be considered the top tool for *nix that doesn't come from the fruit company.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Rhodderz

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #387 on: 22 Feb 2016, 00:41 »

ah the problem with vmception i see. There really needs to be a chroot of android on linux systems (instead of it the other way round as thats been done to death). Might check this during my lunch.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #388 on: 05 May 2016, 06:39 »

I broked the Moto G due to a drunken incident (and the screen had already been cracked due to a previous non-drunken incident). It's back to the Tribute for the foreseeable future. Even though the audio jack doesn't work, which means I have to use bluetooth headphones like a douchebag. It also also uses much more data on the same apps than the other phones I've had. I need to find out if there's a fix for that. But the SD card and SMS issues that were part of the reason for replacing it seem to have magically fixed themselves, it still has way too little memory to do as much as I'd like though.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #389 on: 18 Feb 2017, 19:11 »

Been using a Sony Xperia Z5 on Marshmallow for a year and it's steadily been slowing down. Battery life was shot and apps started to really take their time.

Yesterday I was updated to Nougat, and suddenly the phone flies. I must say I am completely astounded, I never thought the update could achieve so much. I'm actually excited to use my phone again.

This post was sent from inside my phone!

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #390 on: 19 Feb 2017, 09:13 »

bluetooth headphones like a douchebag
Aww, I like my bluetooth headphones!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #391 on: 19 Feb 2017, 11:05 »

I'm on a Nextbook running Lollipop, and there are a bunch of annoying things about it.

Typing is hit and miss, for one. Second is the frequency of crashes of apps. Also it always seems like I run out of memory quickly.

Sent from my Nextbook on Tapatalk

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #392 on: 19 Feb 2017, 11:13 »

Also, it insists on letting us know that you're using it :P

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #393 on: 19 Feb 2017, 12:16 »

That's Tapatalk, not the Nextbook.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up