THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: There oughta be a law!  (Read 106617 times)

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
There oughta be a law!
« on: 15 Oct 2012, 07:39 »

I hope this is different enough from the Vitriolic Letters thread. A place discuss peeves and what rules you would put in place if you had the power to do so.

My first example:
Ear/headphones should be mandatory if you intend on listening to anything through a phone/MP3 player/computer in an area where there are other people, such as public transport or classrooms where music is allowed. Forgetting or lack of supplied ear/headphones is not an excuse

Edit: Title changed because this one is better.
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2012, 15:01 by Welu »

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Re: Pet peeve based rules
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2012, 07:43 »

"Inside voices" or whispering must be used for all conversations taking place outside private residences after 11pm, unless the location in question is a public venue in which noise is expected (such as a club or pub). Shouting in the streets or corridors of communal residences is not permitted and should be punished by temporary removal of vocal apparatus after sunset for repeat offenders (I wish this were actually possible).
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2012, 07:48 »

Quietly chewing should be mandatory. There are few things more offputting or disgusting to me than hearing someone eating from across the room.

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2012, 08:27 »

The rules for speaking should go for making public phone-calls too. Also they should be as brief as possible and no private disgusting or inappropriate information shall be passed ("YAh, Iīve got this really big thing to tell ya! Iīm pregnant and I don't know wether itīs X's or Y's").

Goddamnit, people. Have a little dignity.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2012, 09:09 »

Oh my god chewing noises. And just general mouth sounds. Keep that shit quiet, keep as much of your food and spit as possible in your own mouth, for the love of my sanity. Also, no speaking with your mouth full of food, if at all possible. If you must talk with anything in your mouth, please try being polite and covering your mouth so I do not have to see whatever is in there.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Zingoleb

« Reply #5 on: 15 Oct 2012, 10:26 »

And just general mouth sounds. Keep that shit quiet. Also, no speaking with your mouth, if at all possible. If you must talk with your mouth, please try being polite and covering your mouth so I do not have to see.

I'm more of an 'everybody stop talking period' type of person.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #6 on: 15 Oct 2012, 10:37 »

I have a thing with the superbowl. Some people call that the worldchampionship football ... but only north american teams get to play. So, it's at best a national title.

Also: fat coaches.

Both should be outlawed and/or shot.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #7 on: 15 Oct 2012, 10:45 »

Oh my god chewing noises. And just general mouth sounds. Keep that shit quiet

I'm so sorry, I just can't keep it quiet, I have one of the loudest mouths there is.  I keep it shut when I chew, but dammit, everyone at the table can still hear me.  It resonates.  God forbid I eat something crunchy...

And yes, this is one of my wife's pet peeves, why do you ask? 

Most of mine center around language.  Mispronounciations, especially.  Nuke-you-lar, in particular.  Bush II was a LOOOOONG eight years.

Oh, and the one that gets me yelling at the radio/TV?  When some commentator uses "stick and carrot" to mean "reward and punishment".  That is NOT what it means.  At least, not originally.  The carrot was at the end of a stick, hanging in front of the mule, making the reward unattainable until the journey was done.  Note that, at the end of the day, you had to give the carrot to the mule, or they wouldn't fall for it the next day... they're not stupid, just stubborn.  A stick-and-carrot approach is a system of incentives that promote movement towards a goal, with rewards along the way. 

The only thing beating a mule with a stick will get you is a bite or a kick.  No movement, that's for sure...

If more incentive programs actually worked this way, the world would be a much better place. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
Pet peeve based rules
« Reply #8 on: 15 Oct 2012, 12:14 »

There used to be a term for this stuff: "There oughta be a law!"
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #9 on: 15 Oct 2012, 12:30 »

That seems like a much better title for this thread.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

ackblom12

« Reply #10 on: 15 Oct 2012, 12:32 »

Cupboard doors should be closed once you're done with them upon penalty of death.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #11 on: 15 Oct 2012, 12:32 »

People who say they're going to do something, and then fail to follow through.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #12 on: 15 Oct 2012, 12:33 »

Cupboard doors should be closed once you're done with them upon penalty of death.

Cupboards should not even *have* doors. 

[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #13 on: 15 Oct 2012, 12:35 »

But then the kitchen, or wherever, looks all messy and cluttered.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
Re: There oughta be a law!
« Reply #14 on: 15 Oct 2012, 15:07 »

Only if the inside of the cupboard is messy and cluttered.

~ ~

Just because you're the oldest in the class by fifteen years, it does not mean you have authority or a special relationship with the tutor. Appropriate punishment is sitting in the corner with a Dunce Cap and duct tape over the gob for the rest of the day.

Somewhat related: Just because you're the oldest worker, it does not mean you do not have seniority. Especially not if I've been working here longer than you and I officially have higher responsibilities.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #15 on: 15 Oct 2012, 15:59 »

There ought to be a law against acquiring more road vehicles than you can park off-street. In Singapore, I believe, you are not permitted to register a vehicle unless you can prove that you have off-street parking for it. There is much to be said for this idea, especially for caravans, horse-floats, trailer-boats, and other bulky leisure vehicles. The side-streets around my home, are normally parked out along both sides to the point where actual progress along the street is severely impeded, should you meet another vehicle coming the opposite way down what is effectively a single lane between two rows of parked cars. It is especially not fun going head-to-head with an oncoming car when you're on a bicycle.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #16 on: 15 Oct 2012, 16:04 »

TOBAL about people who drive 55 in the left lane on the freeway. HINT: If people are passing you on the right, YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE, BUDDY!
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #17 on: 15 Oct 2012, 20:20 »

Gnomes2169

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Stupid squirrels...
« Reply #18 on: 15 Oct 2012, 20:39 »

Politicians should be forced to take a basic IQ test and tell the results of said test to the general public. Maybe it would stop so many morons from being elected in the first place if wh had this kind of checks system...
Leader of the gardening revolution. Viva la Gnomes!

Winter is coming. Let the Game of Thrones begin.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #19 on: 15 Oct 2012, 20:41 »

They're smarter than they seem - it's just that they keep on tailoring their messages to the audience. 

Gnomes2169

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Stupid squirrels...
« Reply #20 on: 15 Oct 2012, 20:44 »

They're smarter than they seem

I need proof... Proooooooffffffffffff.... :P

Also, organizations like PETA should not be allowed to kill the hopes and dreams of children like they did in Pokemon: Black and Blue. That game was my childhood man. You don't get to fuck with it like that. Not cool...
Leader of the gardening revolution. Viva la Gnomes!

Winter is coming. Let the Game of Thrones begin.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #21 on: 16 Oct 2012, 00:43 »

Government ministers ought to be required to sit a high school level exam in the subject area relating to their policy area, and if they don't get an A they will be replaced with a high school student who did.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #22 on: 16 Oct 2012, 04:05 »

"I support Team Plasma"

...Right.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #23 on: 16 Oct 2012, 06:31 »

Government ministers ought to be required to sit a high school level exam in the subject area relating to their policy area, and if they don't get an A they will be replaced with a high school student who did.
I've suggested in a newspaper editorial that elected local officials should be required to play Sim City. It might have more punch if I'd actually played it myself.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #24 on: 16 Oct 2012, 07:09 »

There ought to be a law
TOBAL
That was quick!

Full disclosure: back in the 1970's and 1980's, the Milwaukee Journal had, as a comic in its daily funny pages (called "The Green Sheet"), a simple two panel comic called "There Oughta Be A Law!"

A lot of the gags were user-submitted, like someone who noted that some believe that it is a crime if you hang the toilet tissue with the paper hanging outside (away from the holder), or hang it with the paper hanging inside (towards the holder). But the greatest crime would be leaving an empty toilet paper roll in the holder.

Just another Joe like 46

TheEvilDog

« Reply #25 on: 16 Oct 2012, 07:48 »

TOBAL that people should not be allowed to chew gum while preparing food.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #26 on: 16 Oct 2012, 19:31 »

Pretty sure it is against health code, IIRC, but good luck enforcing that at home.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #27 on: 16 Oct 2012, 19:36 »

Most adults won't pass those exams and students who pass those exams don't necessarily know much outside of those exams.

There should be a law against people writing laws about education who have no educational background.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #28 on: 17 Oct 2012, 00:27 »

I'm doubtful about the qualifications of many with backgrounds in education...

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #29 on: 17 Oct 2012, 01:26 »

No one should be in government ever, we're all too stupid.

VonKleist

« Reply #30 on: 17 Oct 2012, 03:50 »

No one should make sports coat type of jackets or anything resembling formal wear made of jersey... it just looks terribly awful.

Yes, Iīm looking at you, Hennes & Mauritz

Oh, and hereīs the rules for public transport
not
http://thoughtcatalog.com/2012/the-standards-on-this-public-bus-are-not-low-enough/
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2012, 06:10 by VonKleist »

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #31 on: 18 Oct 2012, 03:04 »

Also, no speaking with your mouth full of food, if at all possible. If you must talk with anything in your mouth, please try being polite and covering your mouth so I do not have to see whatever is in there.

You don't want to have a meal with me. I just chipmunk-cheek whatever I'm eating and talk around it.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Rockman

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #32 on: 18 Oct 2012, 04:19 »

TOBAL against bad coffee.

Got my coffee from Dunkin' Donuts yesterday morning, was surprised how terrible it was given most of the coffee I get from them is at least okay.  This cup was not the worst ever, but definitely up there - the worst cup of coffee I've ever had remains one I bought on the ferry to Ellis Island on a field trip twelve years ago.  Usually I don't remember things more than ten years ago with that level of detail, but I still vividly remember that coffee and how awful it was.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
~ Terry Pratchett

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #33 on: 18 Oct 2012, 05:15 »

I have been worrying about bad coffee recently - Jens is coming to stay for Christmas and he has strong opinions about coffee. I have out-of-date freeze-dried instant coffee from Morrisons.

Rockman

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #34 on: 18 Oct 2012, 06:13 »

Won't-drink-instant-coffee strong opinions, or only-buys-coffee-from-specialty-beaneries strong opinions?

My opinions actually aren't all that strong, it just really gets under my skin when I have noticeably bad coffee.  You've only just recently woken up, you're relying on this drink with a wonderful little drug in it that'll make you feel better (even if it's just to sate your addiction), and then it's like "oh hey we were gonna give you that cup of coffee you wanted but HERE HAVE OUR MIXTURE OF WATER AND ACID INSTEAD"

I don't think I've ever been served coffee like that in someone else's home.  Even if it's just from a Keurig I don't mind it at all.  Unless it's a pumpkin K-Cup.  I'm pretty sure pumpkin-flavored K-Cups are what they make you drink in Hell.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
~ Terry Pratchett

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #35 on: 18 Oct 2012, 06:18 »

I am not sure, the nuances of coffee consumption escape me - I drink my very rare coffees with sugar and lashings of ginger beer milk.

VonKleist

« Reply #36 on: 18 Oct 2012, 06:28 »

Or get a cafetiera or french press and some half decent espresso and anyone who complains beyond that getīs hot coffee to the crotch  :-)

Rockman

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #37 on: 18 Oct 2012, 06:37 »

Or get a cafetiera or french press and some half decent espresso and anyone who complains beyond that getīs hot coffee to the crotch  :-)

Ha! That too - all French-press coffee I've had has tasted great to me, but even if it wasn't? I'd keep my mouth shut after a threat like that.  :-D
~ Terry Pratchett

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #38 on: 18 Oct 2012, 06:38 »

There's absolutely no point me buying any kind of complex coffee equipment. I have had the same jar of instant coffee for three years and it's still more than half full. I just don't drink coffee at home unless I'm desperately tired and can't sleep for several hours. There are enough good coffee shops near here that we'll go out if Jens needs coffee! People don't come to visit me for the quality of the coffee (nor, for that matter, for the quality of the steak).

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #39 on: 18 Oct 2012, 07:11 »

Buy a box of coffee bags (you need a larger supermarket, the green box ones are the best); no equipment, and they are individually sealed so you can keep them for the next visitor or just let him take the spares home.  Cheaper than the ones with a built-in plastic filter, too.  I use them in the office.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #40 on: 18 Oct 2012, 07:20 »

There are also pot-sized bags that I've seen around here - and several restaurants use them as well, it's faster and easier than setting up the filter and grounds if you're running around at meal rush. 

Rockman

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #41 on: 18 Oct 2012, 07:21 »

TOBAL against not having a French press in your home!  :-P

I kid, I kid.

TOBAL against Steam ads popping up after you close a game.  They've prompted me to buy three games in the last two weeks.  Usually I only buy three or four games a year.  I haven't finished any of them.  I'm already thinking about buying more this weekend.  I think I have a problem.  Stop making it worse, Steam!  Curse you and your vast library!
~ Terry Pratchett

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #42 on: 18 Oct 2012, 07:23 »

Here in Cambridge there is an unwritten law against not drinking tea. People are genuinely shocked when I say I don't really drink tea - they can't understand how I can possibly cope with my degree and other commitments without it.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #43 on: 18 Oct 2012, 07:27 »

Are you decaffeinated?  No coffee, no tea... in the US, younger people make up for that with Monster and Mountain Dew (more caffeine than espresso...)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #44 on: 18 Oct 2012, 07:34 »

I have a tendency towards over-stimulation, and coffee can be a serious problem. Caffienated sugary drinks make it impossible for me to do anything for several hours sometimes, and can make me ill. I do drink mocha and sometimes flavoured coffees, but not often and not because I need to stay away in order to work; I have to be aware that I will not be productive for a while afterwards.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #45 on: 18 Oct 2012, 07:36 »

I read somewhere recently that coffee/tea/Dew/Monster/whatever very quickly becomes an addiction that can cause fairly serious withdrawal symptoms; that's why you need it at around the same time each day. A morning pick-me-up is actually just to get you back to how you would have been if you had never started drinking it regularly.

Dunno how true that is. I've never liked tea or coffee myself so don't have much experience, though I know my Spanish teacher was like a bear with a sore head if she hadn't had a cup of caffeine that morning.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #46 on: 18 Oct 2012, 08:21 »

Caffeine is definitely addictive and those who consume it regularly go through symptoms of withdrawal, one of the most common of which is headache.  The secret ingredient in Excedrin, marketed at the pain killer for headaches, is caffeine.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #47 on: 18 Oct 2012, 08:25 »

I once accused my mum of being addicted to caffeine and she determined to go three days without drinking tea to prove me wrong. After three hours she felt so ill she had to have a cup.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #48 on: 18 Oct 2012, 08:45 »

Yep, I'm working through caffiene withdrawal now. I still drink a little soda each day but not nearly as much as I did. And I'm still getting headaches almost every day. I do use Excedrin if I really need it, because no other medications seem to help much. But I try to avoid that as well, because of the caffeine, though I'm guessing it's less than in soda?

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #49 on: 18 Oct 2012, 08:51 »

Check the label, but I'm pretty sure it's a massive dose, which will only help with withdrawl symptoms  temporarily. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up