THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 18:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: There oughta be a law!  (Read 106671 times)

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
Re: There oughta be a law!
« Reply #50 on: 18 Oct 2012, 08:53 »

The Mayo clinic says 12 oz of cola has 35mg of caffeine and a cup of coffee has 95-200mg.   One Excedrin has 65mg.  Most people take two at a time, as that is the recommended dosage for adults. So taking two Excedrin is 130mg of caffeine, or more than 3 sodas' worth, or one average cup of coffee's worth. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #51 on: 18 Oct 2012, 09:01 »

Aw damn it. No more Excedrin for me. That explains why I'm still getting headaches this far into trying to quit caffeine.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #52 on: 18 Oct 2012, 09:01 »

I've heard they include the caffeine because it helps it get through your system faster? I don't know where I heard that, though, so it may be wrong.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #53 on: 18 Oct 2012, 09:04 »

Tea has less caffeine than coffee and also has theobromine which has caffeine-like effects which could also help. If you can wean yourself onto weaker and weaker tea instead of soda/coffee, it could help. Cutting coffee cold turkey usually means you'll have massive headaches for about 2 weeks, but at the end of that time you should be symptom free, from what I've read.
Ho, ho, ho!

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #54 on: 18 Oct 2012, 09:07 »

I don't drink any coffee or tea, just soda, pretty much. I'm trying to drink a lot more water to hopefully make me feel less miserable but it is not doing so well.

TOBAL passive-aggressive behaviour from adults who clearly know better in a professional setting. Or, really, anywhere ever.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #55 on: 18 Oct 2012, 09:11 »

I once accused my mum of being addicted to caffeine and she determined to go three days without drinking tea to prove me wrong. After three hours she felt so ill she had to have a cup.
Shame she didn't stick to it, because the withdrawal symptoms only last for 48 hours, max.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #56 on: 18 Oct 2012, 12:47 »

I get caffeine withdrawl occasionally, I have to make sure that when I go out of town to events I bring soda with me otherwise it is miserable after I finish fighting (usually the fighting keeps me from having a headache, but as soon as I stop for the day a headache forms).

I am okay with this addiction though because I like soda.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P
« Reply #57 on: 18 Oct 2012, 12:50 »

Weird, my body seems to have just made a personal note to itself reading "no more of this caffeine shit. If you bring it in, I'll give you a headache until it's gone". I don't know when I noticed it, but it must have begun after I realized my college had a soda fountain included in the meal plan and binged for at least a month.
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #58 on: 18 Oct 2012, 13:01 »

Are you decaffeinated?  No coffee, no tea... in the US, younger people make up for that with Monster and Mountain Dew (more caffeine than espresso...)

Do you have any idea how many cans of Mountain Dew I have in my room, hint it is over 100
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #59 on: 18 Oct 2012, 13:23 »

I dunno, I suppose I get grumpy if I don't have coffee in the morning but itīs just one of those little rituals that make up the day. Call it addiction, I don't mind.
I once had so much coffee my stomach went crazy for a couple of weeks and wouldn't accept much anything than zwieback. Since then I keep it to 1 or 2 cups a day.
I only rarely drink soda though because my parents were strict like that and wouldn't let us have any except as a treat.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #60 on: 18 Oct 2012, 13:44 »

I only rarely drink soda though because my parents were strict like that and wouldn't let us have any except as a threat.
What I read. You must have had some really strict parents!

There oughta be a law that treats all psychoactive drugs equally. Seriously guys, caffeine might be the least harmful psychoactive drug in existence, but being addicted to anything is not good. If you think you need caffeine to wake up, or to stay focused, it's just the habituation that keeps you sluggish, and the caffeine only serves to bring you back to normal levels of alertness. Avoid caffeine for a few days, and you'll be rid of it completely.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Rockman

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #61 on: 18 Oct 2012, 15:28 »

I was completely caffeine-free for two years.  Not a drop from beginning of senior year in high school to beginning of sophomore year in college.  I don't remember exactly at this point but everyone here seems to be saying withdrawal symptoms for about 2-3 days and that sounds about right.

During withdrawal I kept daydreaming and picturing a can of Coke and imagining the sound when you open one.  Never mind the headaches.  Not fun.

I don't think I'm as badly addicted now as I was as a teenager -- now if I forget to have coffee in the morning (which often happens on my day off) I'll get pretty mild headaches and not until evening.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
~ Terry Pratchett

TheEvilDog

« Reply #62 on: 18 Oct 2012, 17:46 »

I've never been one for drinking lots of tea, except when I'm painting. Most of the time, its something like a cup at 4pm and then another at around 8pm. Often enough though, I go several days or weeks without even thinking "Hmmm, best have some tea."

I'll stop rambling now.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #63 on: 18 Oct 2012, 21:23 »

I love tea and coffee, but I don't like it hot. I'll only drink it iced. But ice is all I add, I don't put milk or sugar in it. Everyone thinks I'm strange for drinking black iced coffee (I once had a guy at Dunkin' Donuts ask if I was sure I didn't want cream or sugar in it, and then try to convince me that I did), but it's delicious.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #64 on: 18 Oct 2012, 22:30 »

I'm only able to drink tea, there's an amino acid in coffee that I have a strong negative reaction to - which is a shame, I love the stuff. 

But the tea has to be hot.  Can't stand the stuff iced. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P
« Reply #65 on: 18 Oct 2012, 23:26 »

TOBAL that actually makes people legally responsible for investigating claims and talking directly to people suspected of infringing copyright laws, so shit like this doesn't happen  :x
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #66 on: 19 Oct 2012, 01:39 »

I once accused my mum of being addicted to caffeine and she determined to go three days without drinking tea to prove me wrong. After three hours she felt so ill she had to have a cup.
Shame she didn't stick to it, because the withdrawal symptoms only last for 48 hours, max.

She doesn't think it's a problem to be addicted to tea - I can see her point, it is probably the least harmful thing to be addicted to. But I agree with your later point, any addiction is in my view inherently harmful. Which is why I'm trying to wean myself off sugar and comfort eating in general!

I can't drink caffiene after about 2pm or I have serious difficulty sleeping. It's probably partly because I drink it so seldom that it has a strong effect, and also because I'm generally prone to being highly affected by things (this summer I got unable-to-stand-up drunk on one glass of white wine, as Edith can attest to).
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

VonKleist

« Reply #67 on: 19 Oct 2012, 02:06 »

What I read. You must have had some really strict parents!

Nah.. I mean, maybe in some respects like healthy food and that we didn't have satellite-tv until I was ten or so.
I was free to buy as much soda as I wanted with my pocket money, I guess.
A lot of people tell me they find the sparkling Lipton Ice Tea disgusting but that was my favorite soda as a kid :)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #68 on: 19 Oct 2012, 04:12 »

We didn't have fizzy drinks, sweets or television when I was a child. Once I was about eight and allowed to cross the road to the post office on my own to spend my tiny amount of pocket money I did sometimes buy myself chocolate (which would be given to us as treats or presents anyway) but as a vegetarian I didn't want chewy sweets anyway. Fizzy drinks were a novelty for a short while but I dislike them now and I only watch a couple of hours of television a week these days, if that.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #69 on: 19 Oct 2012, 04:26 »

TOBAL against sitting on the floor of a narrow hallway with your legs spread out across. Especially a group of multiple ones taking up both sides of the hallway. If you are going to do it, at least pull your legs in when multiple people are trying to walk through the hall. If you give death glares because I have the audacity to need to get to the other side of the hallway, I will step on your legs.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #70 on: 19 Oct 2012, 04:28 »

My paternal grandfather was (still is, really) something of an arse. My father was given pocket money 11 pence/week by one of his grandparents. His father took 10 pence of it "because [my father] would only spend it".

TOBAL against sitting on the floor of a narrow hallway with your legs spread out across. Especially a group of multiple ones taking up both sides of the hallway. If you are going to do it, at least pull your legs in when multiple people are trying to walk through the hall. If you give death glares because I have the audacity to need to get to the other side of the hallway, I will step on your legs.

I'll help you. I think I still have a pair of bladed football boots somewhere.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

VonKleist

« Reply #71 on: 19 Oct 2012, 04:31 »

Kick the shit out of them!

Nah, but I like to walk really close to those people to make a point that itīs not an appropriate place to sit like that.

Sometimes teenagers hang out on the stairs between the tram station and the train station..
WHat the fuck do you think will happen if you sit in the middle of the stairs leading up from the tram to the station of a city of 1 mio.?? Thereīs people all over the place and you should have your shins kicked for sitting there. Christ dammit.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #72 on: 19 Oct 2012, 04:31 »

We didn't have fizzy drinks, sweets or television when I was a child. Once I was about eight and allowed to cross the road to the post office on my own to spend my tiny amount of pocket money I did sometimes buy myself chocolate (which would be given to us as treats or presents anyway) but as a vegetarian I didn't want chewy sweets anyway. Fizzy drinks were a novelty for a short while but I dislike them now and I only watch a couple of hours of television a week these days, if that.
Wait, what do chewy sweets have to do with being a vegetarian? And when exactly did you choose to become a vegetarian?

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #73 on: 19 Oct 2012, 04:33 »

The gelatin content, I should imagine.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

VonKleist

« Reply #74 on: 19 Oct 2012, 04:34 »

The protein in the gelatine comes from animals!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #75 on: 19 Oct 2012, 05:19 »

Ergh, YES. Not gonna lie, when this happens in uni, I put on my mean face. It works really well when I'm dressed up because of teaching, because then I get mistaken for a prof and you better believe they pull their legs in faster. Tee hee. When I'm not, I just walk over people (step between legs, not on them) and the look of shock and confusion is priceless. But I would give up my amusement just so I can keep walking down the hall without worrying someone is going to try and trip me.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #76 on: 19 Oct 2012, 06:05 »

I step between their legs and people do, "Ugh. Bitch." at me for it. I really want to say to them, "Please explain to me how I am being the awkward one here?"

Sort of related: Yesterday I tripped on some stairs and hurt my ankle. My boyfriend helped me sit on the stairs while he went outside to call his mum to pick us up (no signal indoors). I tried to cling against the wall as close as I could to stay out of the way, leaving just under a metre of space. A woman goes by, walks about three steps on and then goes, I think it was meant to be under her breath, "Yeah, just hang out on the stairs why don't you."
I understand someone sitting on the steps is annoying but when they've got tears down their face and are nursing their ankle, do you really think they're just being ignorant? I know there's really no way she could have known I tripped but it still pissed me off. About fifteen people passed me and the only one who asked if I was okay was a worker in the building. I do appreciate them getting someone to help though.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #77 on: 19 Oct 2012, 06:09 »

TOBAL that actually makes people legally responsible for investigating claims and talking directly to people suspected of infringing copyright laws, so shit like this doesn't happen  :x
Technically, Serverbeach was an infringing party by hosting the content.  Serverbeach may have handled it poorly, but the lawyers for Pearsons were directly contacting an infringing party. The problem with asking lawyers to directly contact the uploader of infringing copyright is that they frequently have no means to do so.  In this case the actual violator, in the traditional sense would be the teacher who made the site in question.  There is likely no contact information for said teacher on the website in question. The compromise from the DMCA between allowing violations to remain online unchecked and sueing every host of user content on the web was the DMCA violation notice system we have.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #78 on: 19 Oct 2012, 06:24 »

LTK, I've been vegetarian all my life - both of my parents are. Before anyone chimes in with "clearly you were brainwashed" or any of the idiocy I've been dealing with my whole life, from the age of about 12 I was free to choose to cook my own meals and I could have requested meat, and now I do all my own shopping and continue to be vegetarian. I'm choosing it every day (I wasn't suggesting your question was rude or idiotic - I just get a lot of "that's not fair, they should have given you the choice!" when I tell people I was raised veggie and it's nonsense, you can say the same the other way round).

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #79 on: 19 Oct 2012, 09:54 »

May, I think you are my British twin... That sounds just about exactly like my childhood.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #80 on: 19 Oct 2012, 10:07 »

I want to meet my Briitsh twin - wait I probably wouldn't. He'd probably be creepy

Anyways, caffeine doesn't really affect me. Sugar does make me a little bit crazy
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

Gnomes2169

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Stupid squirrels...
« Reply #81 on: 19 Oct 2012, 11:07 »

The protein in the gelatine comes from animals!
Delicious, delicious pony hooves...

TOBAL about teachers rambling on about conspiracies (wile presenting them as fact) instead of actually teaching.  :x Damn you man, I'm paying a few thousand dollars (Er... going into debt by a few thousand dollars) a year to learn something relevant to the subject (German) that I'm learning about! I don't care if a French Poodle was cloned and that some people think this means that there are human clones as well, this does not help me spreche Deutch!
Leader of the gardening revolution. Viva la Gnomes!

Winter is coming. Let the Game of Thrones begin.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #82 on: 19 Oct 2012, 11:14 »

Ponies might be about the only animal whose hooves aren't used for gelatine... I could be wrong though!

Gnomes2169

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Stupid squirrels...
« Reply #83 on: 19 Oct 2012, 11:27 »

Anything with hooves should work...
Leader of the gardening revolution. Viva la Gnomes!

Winter is coming. Let the Game of Thrones begin.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #84 on: 19 Oct 2012, 11:34 »

My father's best friend (a country rector) used to make stew with pig's trotters.  You could find some nice meat in them if you looked.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #85 on: 19 Oct 2012, 12:04 »

Ponies might be about the only animal whose hooves aren't used for gelatine... I could be wrong though!

That's because they're used for glue!

...And that's sad.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #86 on: 19 Oct 2012, 12:10 »

:(

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #87 on: 19 Oct 2012, 15:15 »

There oughta be a law that treats all psychoactive drugs equally. Seriously guys, caffeine might be the least harmful psychoactive drug in existence, but being addicted to anything is not good. If you think you need caffeine to wake up, or to stay focused, it's just the habituation that keeps you sluggish, and the caffeine only serves to bring you back to normal levels of alertness. Avoid caffeine for a few days, and you'll be rid of it completely.

I'm cool with that, I fuckin love shrooms
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #88 on: 19 Oct 2012, 15:57 »

My father's best friend (a country rector) used to make stew with pig's trotters.  You could find some nice meat in them if you looked.

Totally unrelated but is your avatar that kid from Monster Rancher?

Off-cuts and offal are making somewhat of a comeback. I mean, I steak and kidney pie and I'm pretty sure I like liver. Also, if you don't eat the brain then how else do you gain the animal's power?

TOBAL where people who try to get onto the Tube before other people get off of it are shot back onto the platform and banned from using trains forever. Have fun on the bus you impatient turds.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #89 on: 19 Oct 2012, 15:59 »

I'm cool with that, I love fuckin shrooms

How I read your post. 

Not quite how I picture you...

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #90 on: 20 Oct 2012, 02:48 »

TOBAL against people who insist that "if there are letters in it, then it isn't real maths".

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #91 on: 20 Oct 2012, 07:49 »

I once knew a guy who insisted that "if there are numbers in it, then it isn't real maths".

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #92 on: 20 Oct 2012, 08:15 »

You know, I thought of Pilchard's statement today, and figured that if there are absolutely no letters in it, it isn't real math.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #93 on: 20 Oct 2012, 08:20 »

OK, I'm confused. If Method of Madness' reference to math has an extra letter in it, is it realer?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #94 on: 20 Oct 2012, 08:29 »

If I understand you correctly, then no.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #95 on: 20 Oct 2012, 08:41 »

If the extra letter is "i", then no. 

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #96 on: 20 Oct 2012, 10:00 »

OK, I'm confused. If Method of Madness' reference to math has an extra letter in it, is it realer?
I'm guessing you're talking about the s? Maths makes more sense than math,  since you never see the singular form of "mathematics" used, why would it be singular in the shortened word?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #97 on: 20 Oct 2012, 10:24 »

Generally, UK and former colonies use "maths", while US (and Canada, it rubs off) use "math"

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #98 on: 20 Oct 2012, 10:30 »

Math already seems plural? Like I'm never thinking singularly when I think about math. When I think singularly, I call it by what type of math it is, like algebra, calculus, addition, etc.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #99 on: 20 Oct 2012, 10:34 »

Mathematics is an uncountable noun, like physics. You can't pluralize it, so abbreviating it to math seems more sensible.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up