THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: There oughta be a law!  (Read 106647 times)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
Re: There oughta be a law!
« Reply #150 on: 26 Oct 2012, 22:12 »

"I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace; that two are a called law firm; and that three or more become a congress."

~John Adams, as portrayed in 1776
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper
« Reply #151 on: 26 Oct 2012, 22:25 »

If that is an actual quote, it REALLY should be on a bumper sticker. a BIG one.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #152 on: 26 Oct 2012, 23:17 »

Unfortunately, no.  It's been attributed to him, but was actually written for the musical. 

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #153 on: 27 Oct 2012, 08:29 »

Doesn't make it any less true. Though I thought Uncle Miltie used the term "committee" for "congress" when he stole told the joke.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #154 on: 27 Oct 2012, 09:09 »

Considering when 1776 was written, the joke probably was stolen from Berle for the show...

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #155 on: 28 Oct 2012, 14:13 »

There oughta be a law that when a foreigner talks to you, you respond in the same language that they're speaking. If someone makes the effort to speak your native language to you, then it's disrespectful to just default to English or any other language that you know the other person understands better, otherwise that effort is wasted.

It should come as no surprise that I just came back from Germany.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #156 on: 28 Oct 2012, 20:39 »

Was ist los, du nicht mögen sprechen über ihre bratwürste auf den rücken?

There oughta be a law against parking lots being overcrowded. I know, it sounds a little ridiculous, but just like when the Fire Marshal says a room can only hold so many people, so must the parking lot. I swear to God, Walmart is worse to get through than midtown Manhattan.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #157 on: 28 Oct 2012, 22:33 »

It's notoriously difficult to get Icelanders to speak Icelandic to a foreigner, but that's arguably pragmatism. The odds of a visitor knowing enough Icelandic for a useful conversation are negligible.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #158 on: 28 Oct 2012, 22:49 »

Even worse is the look you get from the Japanese when you try to speak to them in their native tongue. My wife's Japanese instructor, an American, spoke fluently to a group of people in Kyoto, asking where the nearest train station was...they just looked at him like he couldn't understand him.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #159 on: 29 Oct 2012, 00:19 »

Maybe his accent was bad? Or they just didn't want to deal with foreigners... I've heard stories of varying degrees of treatment, from them being very polite to outright rude.

And speaking of parking lots, TOBAL that inconsiderate jackasses can't take up more than 1 (one!) parking space with their car. Seriously, nothing makes me want to key someone's car more than that kind of bullshit.
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2012, 00:26 by Omega Entity »

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #160 on: 29 Oct 2012, 03:30 »

I've taken to photographing cars parked stupidly with the intent of making a local Facebook page showing them, with license plates obscured obviously. Don't have the nerve to go through with it though.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #161 on: 29 Oct 2012, 05:19 »

Last spring, I parked in a U of Arizona parking structure to attend the Tucson book festival. When I came back to the car, there was a piece of paper under the windshield wiper. Someone had scrawled, "You park like an asshole." By the time I saw it, I'd pulled out of the spot. But I can see I'm more careless at parking, at centering between the lines. The note is on my fridge. It probably ought to be back in the car.

A friend once showed me a "business card" which read, "If you fuck like you park, you'll never get it in."

I thought I might have told this before, but a search on park like an asshole suggests I probably didn't.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #162 on: 29 Oct 2012, 06:15 »

You did tell at least Edith and I, and possibly Kat and Steve, in person - I asked about the note on your fridge. So that might be why you thought you'd posted about it :)
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #163 on: 29 Oct 2012, 06:50 »

Wait, do a bunch of you guys know each other in real life?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #164 on: 29 Oct 2012, 06:59 »

I met up with a lot of people this summer when I stayed with Edith. I've met... maybe two dozen forumites, although a lot of them have left now. For a time there were lots of forum meetups going on, it was fun.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #165 on: 29 Oct 2012, 07:03 »

Yeah, a lot of us have met up before. So if a few of us seem more familiar with others, it's not just because we've been here for forever. :-D

"I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace; that two are a called law firm; and that three or more become a congress."

~John Adams, as portrayed in 1776

The opening song is now stuck in my head. "Someone ought to open up a window!"
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #166 on: 29 Oct 2012, 07:15 »

Wait, do a bunch of you guys know each other in real life?

Forum meetups were very much a thing among the group who are now on PJ (many of whom are now paired up in RL), arranged by having a thread here in the forum.  I tend to see the RL meetings that happen among people still here as a residue of that - but that may be unfair, as I know that some of the people that May has met were not around at that time, and I should stop thinking that way.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #167 on: 29 Oct 2012, 07:23 »

Ahh. I guess I'm too new.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #168 on: 29 Oct 2012, 07:31 »

The last "meet-up" that happened with people here, I'm guessing, was GenCon? But that's because several of us were planning on going anyways. I remember proposing it on PJ, but the majority went said no because Indianapolis and nerd conventions are boring or something. But before that I think the last big one was San Francisco and that was...2?...years ago.

Honestly, sometimes I found the really large scale ones a little inconvenient. They were always in a major city (Toronto, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, NYC), so travel and rooming was expensive unless you got to stay with a forumite who lived there. I love meeting people, but it's too just so expensive. But if some of you guys want to meet people, totally try to meet people! All of the meetups I've been to have been quite pleasant and I can definitely say I've made some good friends because of this place.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #169 on: 29 Oct 2012, 07:36 »

I'm 100% in favour of meeting anyone who it's logistically possible for me to meet! Of the people I met up with this summer, four were people I'd met back in the PJ days already and some were new - Zing, Jwhouk, CardinalFang (a PJ person who I hadn't met before) and Redball. It's true that the PJ days' meetups were what made me comfortable with meeting internet people, though. I've also met people from my midwifery forum. Nary a one has ever tried to murder me in my sleep!

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #170 on: 29 Oct 2012, 08:06 »

I know very little about PJ.  I'm sure a few of us live in the NYC area, which would take away the need for (significant) travel and lodging.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #171 on: 29 Oct 2012, 08:09 »

Sadly I'm unlikely to be back in the US for several years; a European meetup would be quite fun, we haven't really had one of those (I met three people in a pub in Leeds once but it was a very small, short meetup and they have all long since left this forum).

PJ is just another forum these days, but mostly populated by people who used to be on this forum. I feel that what makes the forum what it is today is the fact that those of us who were here then, including Paul, have learnt from what we didn't like about the old character of this forum and retained the good things.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #172 on: 29 Oct 2012, 08:13 »

PJ?

I do feel that murderous midwifes would be hogging all the action on incoming and outgoing traffic.

Also: good band name.

There ought to be a law that prevents random people coming up to my kid and touching him. I mean, they wouldn't consider it cute if I did that to them, right? So what does age matter in that respect?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #173 on: 29 Oct 2012, 08:28 »

Nary a one has ever tried to murder me in my sleep!

Perhaps we have tried, but just been so unsuccessful, so that you weren't even aware of our attempts...

PJ stands for Pocket Jury, it is was a term started by a group of people who used to post here. A forum/blog thingy was started with the same name and a bunch of people stopped posting here when they stated posting there.  Some people post both places.  I keep up with the pj people via IRC, but don't use the forum. I actually started posting here after the first Toroncon (the first meet up).  I was Stephen's plus one, so I am one of the few people who met fourmites in person before I knew them online. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #174 on: 29 Oct 2012, 08:32 »

PJ = Pocket Jury. I mean, you could look it up, but it's very much the old character of this forum (which didn't work here, hence the exodus) and it isn't for everyone. I read it occasionally, but I almost never post there anymore.

The touching children thing reminds me: TOBAL against people walking up to pregnant women they don't know and touching their bellies. Even if you do know the woman, you still need to ask and you need to respect her decision when she says she doesn't want you touching her belly!

Edit: Kat posted when I was writing, so sorry about the redundancy!

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #175 on: 29 Oct 2012, 08:33 »

Is it at all QC related? Would it be out of line for me to go over there, or would my being on this forum be enough to join?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #176 on: 29 Oct 2012, 08:55 »

It's not affiliated at all. (Actually I think most people there don't even like the comic.) It's mostly a large CHATTER board.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #177 on: 29 Oct 2012, 08:56 »

Ah. I mostly stick to Comic/Discuss here, so I should probably just stay here.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #178 on: 29 Oct 2012, 08:58 »

It's a web forum though. I mean, there isn't a law that says you can't join it. I don't know if they vet new members or anything. The old system was just that we were so cliquey and intolerant that new people got run out of town if they didn't fit in.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #179 on: 29 Oct 2012, 09:05 »

PJ is not advertised anywhere, so they get very few new members; thus there isn't the antagonism that built up between the QC and non-QC parts of this board.  However, it is very much an enclosed order, with a lot of in-jokes and good-natured but outwardly offensive joshing between members, and so I wouldn't suggest anyone new should consider joining the forum - some people may find a bit of interest in the articles on the web site itself, though (like my one on anime ;) which I'm working on a sequel to).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

ackblom12

« Reply #180 on: 29 Oct 2012, 09:07 »

Yeah, inclusive is not a word I'd use to describe PJ.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #181 on: 29 Oct 2012, 10:36 »

Late to say I would be happy to go to a Ireland/UK or Europe meet, especially if it was held in Summer.

There ought to be a law that prevents random people coming up to my kid and touching him. I mean, they wouldn't consider it cute if I did that to them, right? So what does age matter in that respect?

Why would any one think that is okay? I suggest teaching your child to yell, "Stranger Danger!" loudly at them.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #182 on: 29 Oct 2012, 10:42 »

I think I've been out of the loop too long to consider a meet up. But I am starved for social contact round here, I'll tell you that much.

Also, TOBAL about who can conceive. Obviously the big hole in the argument would be accidental pregnancy, but I choose to ignore it - there should be a parents' exam. You take it and you fail? You do not get to be a parent.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #183 on: 29 Oct 2012, 11:44 »

I'm sure a few of us live in the NYC area, which would take away the need for (significant) travel and lodging.

I suppose NYCC/NYAF are good meetup spots?
Worry Hat, Engage!

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #184 on: 29 Oct 2012, 11:59 »

If you want to wait a whole year, sure.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #185 on: 29 Oct 2012, 12:02 »

Why would any one think that is okay? I suggest teaching your child to yell, "Stranger Danger!" loudly at them.

... BEST idea EVER!
My Art.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #186 on: 29 Oct 2012, 12:23 »

... BEST idea EVER!

Yes, quite. Seriously, what kind of person comes up to a random kid and touches them in ANY manner? Kick em in the face.
Worry Hat, Engage!

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #187 on: 29 Oct 2012, 15:28 »

You're supposed to enjoy it as a proud parent. But my instincts are always ... different.
My Art.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #188 on: 29 Oct 2012, 15:47 »

I have never had much truck with what I'm supposed to do. You're supposed to take wolf whistles as a compliment but I still consider them to be demeaning harassment.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #189 on: 29 Oct 2012, 15:53 »

Well you get told they're meant to be a compliment by some people but that hardly means you have to take it as a compliment. I've been told I should appreciate male attention of any kind since I "must not get it much as a bigger girl".

Papersatan

« Reply #190 on: 29 Oct 2012, 15:57 »

...but I still consider them to be demeaning harassment.
because they are. 

Getting hollared at makes me feel:
self-conscious about my appearance,
objectified and as though my value to society is mainly based upon my appearance,
depressed about my ability to be taken seriously or be a success, given these facts

Complements make you feel good.
There is a difference between giving a complement "I like your hair."  "that is a cute dress."  (though these can still be off putting when cornered by a man who wants to tell them to you) and harassing someone.  "hey girl, you look fine.  I like a girl with some ass.  You got a boyfriend?"

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #191 on: 29 Oct 2012, 16:14 »

Well you get told they're meant to be a compliment by some people but that hardly means you have to take it as a compliment. I've been told I should appreciate male attention of any kind since I "must not get it much as a bigger girl".

I reviewed a book once that brought home a point to me I've never considered - there's a massively overweight woman in it who says that she never had any true lovers, only men who had a fetish for her weight - and that made her feel bad about herself because it wasn't about her, she was just a vehicle, and that the first time she met someone who genuinely loved her personality that was when she knew it was love. This is scarcely relevant, but I'm bored. Also it's the only good part in a terrible book.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #192 on: 29 Oct 2012, 16:27 »

You're supposed to take wolf whistles as a compliment but I still consider them to be demeaning harassment.

This has, of course, changed markedly in my lifetime.  My cousin's mother - as determined and self-sufficient a lady as you could imagine (read the link) - was inordinately proud that she still got wolf-whistles from builders into her 50s, as I can testify from being with her at the time.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #193 on: 29 Oct 2012, 16:42 »

Even worse is the look you get from the Japanese when you try to speak to them in their native tongue. My wife's Japanese instructor, an American, spoke fluently to a group of people in Kyoto, asking where the nearest train station was...they just looked at him like he couldn't understand him.

Some people with extensive experience there believe that it's genuine. Their notions of social roles are so ingrained that they filter perception. A foreigner, by definition, is big, smells bad, doesn't speak Japanese, and is lost. If a foreigner says something, it must be English, and if they don't recognize it as English, then it must be because the stranger is using English words the listener didn't learn in school.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Papersatan

« Reply #194 on: 29 Oct 2012, 18:06 »

I'm not sure anyone has said anything terrible or untrue about it?

There was a problem here with new people being attacked, particularly if they talked about the comic or tried to defend someone who they didn't know. I was a part of it.  We were hostile and rude, but we were used to it. We expected new members to lurk for a long time before they gave input, and when one of them offended, it resulted in people piling on.  The group realized that they had out grown this space.  That is why people left, not because they were bad people but because there had been talk of making a separate forum for some time, and it had gotten to the point, since registration was finally unlocked, that it was clear that a large group of us might be better elsewhere.   

Pocket Jury is a fairly closed group of people, by design I would argue.  There is nothing wrong with that, but if you don't fit in with that group of people, then you don't fit in with them, if you do then it might be an excellent forum for you. If you post a lot in the music section here you might be interested, but if that is the case you also have seen Tommy's recent post advertising it.  If people are on this forum because they like and want to talk about the comic, then PJ is not the place for them.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #195 on: 29 Oct 2012, 18:49 »

I'm a member of a similar web forum, but they're technically a "remnant" of a previously existing webcomic forum. Suffice to say that a certain comic artist got all biatchy over some of the members on the boards, decided to close it without warning, and then went to a pay-to-play format for his "new" forums. Unfortunately, that didn't work because said artist has a bad case of distract-o-mania. (Of course, if it wasn't that he was such a damn good artist, and the webcomic was his primary source of income, he'd be holding a sign saying "WILL DRAW COMICS 4 FOOD" on a street corner in the Metroplex area.)

Enough people got together and got a forum set up to be basically about anything - though it's very heavily slanted towards games and gaming (since the webcomic was Primarily about a Very strange bunch of People running a magazine about gaming). There's comics, games, weird stuff, a guy who thinks Rush Limbaugh is a liberal, and at least one poster who credits WoW from keeping her out of jail (or something like that).

Oh, that reminds me: TOBAL that owners of a forum dedicated to a certain topic should give forum members at least 24 hours notice before they decide to shut it down permanently.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #196 on: 29 Oct 2012, 22:06 »

TOBAL that anyone who holds your data, forum or not, has to give you a chance to preserve it if they're going out of business.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #197 on: 29 Oct 2012, 22:14 »

TOBAL that anyone who holds your data, forum or not, has to completely wipe that data from their drives and make it unrecoverable, upon your validated request. I'm looking at you, Facebook.
Worry Hat, Engage!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #198 on: 30 Oct 2012, 01:16 »

I'm surprised by some of the replies describing PJ in this thread -- it's just another "talk about anything" forum, with fewer subsections.

If you're thinking of some of my remarks, bear in mind: (1) my involvement clearing up the mess here, and: (2) I am also an active participant at PJ.  I do try to remain balanced, while saying it like it is.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #199 on: 30 Oct 2012, 01:44 »

I was extremely fond of a lot of the people who left to go to PJ and I still keep in touch with some of them. This forum was a lifeline for me during several years of upheaval and change in my offline life, and I am very glad it was around. But despite that I can't escape the fact that the tone was just different and anyone who goes over to PJ hoping to find another QC forum is going to be disappointed. If you go to PJ hoping to find a forum with discussion and chat and a lot of interesting, intelligent people then you won't be disappointed - but the atmosphere is simply different. It'd be like going from a tea party to a disco; both fun, but different.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up