THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: There oughta be a law!  (Read 106625 times)

ackblom12

Re: There oughta be a law!
« Reply #200 on: 30 Oct 2012, 01:50 »

I love the crowd over at PJ, I just don't like the forum environment. It was kind of akin to moving everyone from an apartment complex into a shared house. All of the forum personalities that were big over here feel overbearing over there and make up far too much of the tone of the board for my taste. Doesn't change that I'm good friends with a large number of them.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #201 on: 30 Oct 2012, 02:32 »

There oughta be a law that when a foreigner talks to you, you respond in the same language that they're speaking. If someone makes the effort to speak your native language to you, then it's disrespectful to just default to English or any other language that you know the other person understands better, otherwise that effort is wasted.

It should come as no surprise that I just came back from Germany.

Oh man. Albanians who know English are notorious among the diplomatic community there for practically refusing to speak Albanian to them. Then again, that's pretty fair, since most Anglophone diplomats there are significally better-educated in English than almost any Albanian not from Kosovo.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #202 on: 30 Oct 2012, 04:19 »

Looking over the posters at PJ I realized why I like the QC forum so much more these days.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #203 on: 31 Oct 2012, 01:24 »

TOBAL that anyone who holds your data, forum or not, has to give you a chance to preserve it if they're going out of business.

Or if they fire you. 

I lost a lot of stuff, some of it personal.  It's still on the university servers, I just can't get it.  One of the IT guys promised to get it for me, then never did. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #204 on: 01 Nov 2012, 09:51 »

TOBAL against being this dumb.

Oh wait. There kind of is.
Ho, ho, ho!

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #205 on: 01 Nov 2012, 20:06 »

Looking over the posters at PJ I realized why I like the QC forum so much more these days.
I do miss some of the crowd who went over to PJ because they were very interesting, but so far not enough to register there.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #206 on: 02 Nov 2012, 04:30 »

... and, unrelated of course ...

TOBAL against being a humourless, abrasive, clique-ish fuck online.
My Art.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #207 on: 02 Nov 2012, 15:49 »

Mine is unrelated, but some girl I became friends with on LiveJournal around 10 years ago decided to start an argument on what is/isn't funny (in relation to a wisecrack about Jersey Shore getting cancelled by God), and she got super self-righteous about it and expected people to sympathize with her. Nobody did.

It's okay though, I had to learn the hard way too.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #208 on: 02 Nov 2012, 15:56 »

How did that joke offend anybody? I barely even registered it as funny, let alone offensive to anyone.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #209 on: 02 Nov 2012, 17:36 »

TOBAL that the "POST" button on ANY web forum, message board, Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, LiveJournal or ANY other site where you can send text via the internet comes with a second window:

"Are you REALLY sure you want to post this?"

And is followed by a third warning window:

"Disclaimer: by posting this to (whatever) you are removing any liability or injury that could be claimed against (whatever) and squarely placing it upon you, up to and including charges of aggravated assault/homicide if you are threatening anyone. So, one last time - Do you REALLY want to post this?"
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #210 on: 02 Nov 2012, 18:51 »

There needs to be a language analysis algorithm that determines how many times you have to click a confirmation (or pass a CAPTCHA) depending on the number of keywords and phrases in your post.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper
« Reply #211 on: 02 Nov 2012, 20:06 »

There needs to be a language analysis algorithm that determines how many times you have to click a confirmation (or pass a CAPTCHA) depending on the number of keywords and phrases in your post.

I'm not quite sure I follow...what exactly do you mean? It sounds like a good idea, but I'm a bit fuzzy on the specifics.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #212 on: 03 Nov 2012, 00:26 »

I think LTK's post is an extension of jwhouk's TOBAL. 

The more inflammatory the language in the post, the more "Are you sure you want to do this?" buttons you have to push. 

In other words, smart forums. 

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #213 on: 03 Nov 2012, 01:41 »

The argument Pat's not-friend was getting into was really weird. I mean, I can see why someone might not find that joke funny (in my bad moods, if I had been particularly badly hit by the storm, I might not have found it as funny as I did). But her argument very quickly became totally personal and unrelated to the joke - obviously she had not been taught how to argue on the QC forums :laugh: It just looked like a classic example of "I've never been required to think for myself" to me.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #214 on: 03 Nov 2012, 04:05 »

Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #215 on: 03 Nov 2012, 07:47 »

The rollover text says it all!

Zingoleb

« Reply #216 on: 03 Nov 2012, 09:14 »

I ended up reading this after reading that:

". . .the plan outlined in #810 simply wouldn't work. The "constructive" nature of a particular comment is far too subjective, even for a person, to judge another poster by their appraisal of it. If you're only letting comments get posted that have received that sort of approval, then you're essentially letting the hoards of bots be your moderating team, an awful idea if there ever was one. (And as a one-time forum owner, I can promise you that bots are FAR more numerous than legitimate posters).

So, we have three possible outcomes:
1) Bots rate all comments as constructive. Posts continue through as though unmoderated, and significantly more spam makes it through than a captcha would allow.
2) Bots rate all comments as not constructive. The board grinds to a halt as all comments, regardless of their quality, are discarded before making it to the message board.
3) Bots rate roughly half of the comments as constructive, and half as not constructive. The rating system fails, as all comments receive roughly the same rating (the hundreds of bots outweigh the few real users and render their ratings essentially meaningless). Comments are either posted or blocked as a fluke, and enough spam gets through to make it worthwhile. Again, a captcha would be more effective."

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #217 on: 03 Nov 2012, 09:22 »

TOBAL that if you say you're going to email someone at a certain time, especially in an education context, you bloody do it. Punishment for not is getting a complaint written on the internet. Repeated offences will lead to a complaint being written and sent to relevant officials.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #218 on: 03 Nov 2012, 10:03 »

I can promise you that bots are FAR more numerous than legitimate posters

Not when you've already blocked them; no bots register here these days.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper
« Reply #219 on: 04 Nov 2012, 10:38 »

no bots register here these days.

"We don't take kindly to your folk 'round these parts..." I wish I could have found a bot-free solution for my forums. Ugh...
Worry Hat, Engage!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #220 on: 04 Nov 2012, 11:04 »

There's an open-source community-updated database of IP addresses, email addresses and forum names used by spammers, and lookup add-ons for it to integrate with most forum software.  This stopped 99.9% of spammer registrations (they try at the rate of about four an hour here); but they filled up the logs and user count (they were registered but not approved), and about one spammer a week still got in.  When I added the human-type questions to the registration, that stopped virtually all spambots dead.  About two a week get through to the database lookup, and only four (I think) have got right through and posted this year.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #221 on: 04 Nov 2012, 11:18 »

Which addons would they be? There's another forum (Luxrender, if anyone cares) that I frequent that has occasional problems with spam and even though it's dealt with quickly, stopping them before they can post would obviously be even better.

EDIT: Lux is phpBB and this is SMF, but there may well be a similar one for phpBB.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #222 on: 04 Nov 2012, 11:58 »

This is the database; you can register for free to enable supplying updates (which the SMF mod can do for you when you're processing a spammer that got past it).  There are several phpBB mods for it, like this one - I've not used phpBB, so I have no view on which to choose.

An arbitrary number of questions are built in to SMF (I used a mod until I updated to v2); and I think you can do something similar in phpBB using Custom Fields (search the forum - there's stuff there) to add more than one.  Note how the questions I ask here* are designed to resist automatic parsing (which will come eventually, I guess).

* "What is Marten Reed's first name?
  "2 + two = ?"

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #223 on: 04 Nov 2012, 20:38 »

Does "2 + two" = "4" or "four"?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #224 on: 04 Nov 2012, 20:59 »

4our.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #225 on: 04 Nov 2012, 21:06 »

In my experience, they also give you directions as to how you need to answer. I.e., "Answer in numerals" or "answer in letters (lowercase)".

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #226 on: 04 Nov 2012, 22:58 »

Or the answer's parsed with logical "or"s. 

"Answer: 4 OR four, ignore case".  So 4our probably wouldn't work...

Zingoleb

« Reply #227 on: 04 Nov 2012, 23:03 »

It protects us from spambots. Let's raise a drink for our '4our' or '4 or four' fort.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #228 on: 04 Nov 2012, 23:38 »

There's no option for multiple correct answers.  It accepts "4"  ("four" would be bad, as it's language-specific), and people are registering OK so that'll do; no one's arrived saying that it was tricky to get in.  I suppose I could add an instruction...

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #229 on: 05 Nov 2012, 02:18 »

It protects us from spambots. Let's raise a drink for our '4our' or '4 or four' fort.

That last sentence was so hard to read in my sleepy state

Zingoleb

« Reply #230 on: 05 Nov 2012, 02:28 »

It was a lot of fun to keep saying out loud.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #231 on: 05 Nov 2012, 05:31 »

I giggled. 

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #232 on: 05 Nov 2012, 06:26 »

TOBAL against wearing skinny jeans with these dress boots that are fashionable around here now. It looks fucking ridiculous if you can neither stuff the pants into the boots nor do the pants fit over the boots..
That´s what boot-cut is for, ya morons.
Also you don't need boots because it´s the city and not a farm.

Yes, I am very spiteful today  :-\

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #233 on: 05 Nov 2012, 11:29 »

[...] no one's arrived saying that it was tricky to get in. [...]

Well of course not - they haven't been able to register! :P

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #234 on: 06 Nov 2012, 04:03 »

TOBAL against wearing skinny jeans with these dress boots that are fashionable around here now.

Does not compute  :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

Zingoleb

« Reply #235 on: 06 Nov 2012, 05:46 »

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I like my skinny jeans/boots combo. I have fucking awesome legs, and I will show them off, dammit.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #236 on: 06 Nov 2012, 05:56 »

I like boots too. Bootcut jeans do not fit inside of boots and skinny jeans do. And skinny jeans do not fit outside of boots but bootcuts do. So unless those people are doing the opposite of what they should be doing, I don't see the problem.

Basically I just wanna wear my boots and I don't want to have to wear a skirt every time I do.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

ackblom12

« Reply #237 on: 06 Nov 2012, 05:57 »

I wear combat boots almost exclusively. Never know when you need stomping capabilities.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #238 on: 06 Nov 2012, 06:29 »

I got a pair of super awesome boots but I don't own any skinny jeans. I'm far too fat to buy a pair, in my opinion. So I have just been wearing my flare/wide leg jeans over them. They still look good, just not awesome.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #239 on: 06 Nov 2012, 06:43 »

I have a pair of jeggins I never wear (they're too big in the waist) and some leggins I wear with tall socks and tunics to cover my arse.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #240 on: 06 Nov 2012, 07:22 »

TOBAL against Polyglotism in bed. :-D
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #241 on: 06 Nov 2012, 07:26 »

How many languages can you moan in? 

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #242 on: 06 Nov 2012, 07:28 »

... speaking in tongues not accepted?
My Art.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #243 on: 06 Nov 2012, 07:29 »

Depends on where the tongue is at the time. 

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #244 on: 06 Nov 2012, 07:33 »

I used to wear bootcut jeans inside my boots (back when I wore jeans) and I would just fold the edges back along themselves so that they basically became skinny jeans, pull my socks up over them to hold them down and then wear my boots over the top.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #245 on: 06 Nov 2012, 07:46 »

I would just fold the edges back along themselves

Took me a moment - I thought you were cuffing them.  You're talking about a temporary dart, I used to do that with my snowboots when i was a paperboy in Buffalo. 

Wet cuffs suck. 

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #246 on: 06 Nov 2012, 17:40 »

Fuck thaaat do you know how many times a good ol' "O zemër, më faaaaal!" followed by snuggles has gotten past girlfriends to forgive me for just about anything?

VonKleist

« Reply #247 on: 07 Nov 2012, 03:54 »

Let me rephrase.
My point was the kind of boots that neither allow for pants to go inside of them, nor over them, thus creating the awkward status of being in between the two acceptable modes aka awkwardly creased behind the shoe's tongue.
Ugh.. never mind me. Did I mention I´m Captain Anal-retentive these days :psyduck:

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #248 on: 07 Nov 2012, 06:50 »

I'm confused about what boots you're talking about.

VonKleist

« Reply #249 on: 07 Nov 2012, 07:58 »

Kind of like a douchy, really high cut 'urban' looking dress boot
like this
http://www.zalando.de/zign-schnuerer-brown-zi112c02e-702.html

Don't mean to offend anyone who likes these. Just strikes me as pretentious, is all. And I don't think you can pull it of if you´re like 18 and still in school.
Why do I even care? :psyduck:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up