THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 12:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: There oughta be a law!  (Read 109239 times)

Lines

• Awakened
Re: There oughta be a law!
« Reply #250 on: 07 Nov 2012, 09:03 »

Oh. That explains a lot. I was thinking riding boots, military-style boots, etc. that people typically wear. Those...are kinda...blah.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #251 on: 07 Nov 2012, 10:59 »

They're oxford shoes with workboot tops? 

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :roll:  :psyduck:
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #252 on: 07 Nov 2012, 14:15 »

TOBAL against leaving hairs of unknown provenance stuck to the soap after using it.

Also, overly-affectionate shower curtains.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #253 on: 07 Nov 2012, 14:59 »

Yes. There has to be a way of fixing this. More magnets at the bottom?
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #254 on: 07 Nov 2012, 16:00 »

Yes. There has to be a way of fixing this. More magnets at the bottom?
Ah, Pilchard, I admired the coinage! I googled on it, and found, among other things: http://www.microwaves101.com/content/unknowneditor18.cfm
Magnets are good if the tub is steel. More weight is probably best if the linked suggestion is unworkable.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #255 on: 07 Nov 2012, 16:18 »

That is how I've dealt with it, but of course this does not work if your shower curtain is attached to the wall.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #256 on: 07 Nov 2012, 16:43 »

I dunno, we do that and it still catches a mystery draft sometimes... But it's still 1000x better than the dorm showers.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #257 on: 07 Nov 2012, 18:54 »

TOBAL agains baths. Baths are wasteful of water, energy, and space. Like many homes in Australia, mine has no bath, just a shower cubicle. I had the curtain replaced with a sliding door, mainly because it was easier to keep clean. Problem solved!
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper
« Reply #258 on: 07 Nov 2012, 19:31 »

Magnets.

TOBAL agains baths. Baths are wasteful of water, energy, and space. Like many homes in Australia, mine has no bath, just a shower cubicle. I had the curtain replaced with a sliding door, mainly because it was easier to keep clean. Problem solved!
Baths I can agree with, but pleeease don't take away the hot tub!
Worry Hat, Engage!

Zingoleb

« Reply #259 on: 07 Nov 2012, 21:18 »

My shower rod broke once, but I managed to fix it with scotch tape, thumb tacks, and some yarn that was laying around. Thankfully, I was bitten by a radioactive MacGuyver when I was five. Anyways, that's why I'm trans.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #260 on: 07 Nov 2012, 21:44 »

If you have a kid, you'll be a trans parent. 

OhgodI'msosorrybutsometimesIcan'tresist. 

We have a tub with no shower (installed in 1926).  It's... roomy.  Taft would be comfy.  I called it the Lusitania when we first moved in - big, white and sinkable (you can sink into it). 

I rigged a valve and a hand-held sprayer to it, and take a sitting shower with the drain closed every morning.  By the time I'm done, I'm sitting in about a half-tubful of hot water, which my lower back and legs really appreciate, especially after the accident. 

And the double curtain thing in the article Redball linked is the best solution. 

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #261 on: 07 Nov 2012, 21:50 »

Oh my god a hot tub sounds so good right now.

Darn college taking away my dreams of owning a hot tub
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

Zingoleb

« Reply #262 on: 07 Nov 2012, 22:26 »

If you have a kid, you'll be a trans parent. 

OhgodI'msosorrybutsometimesIcan'tresist. 

If I broke glowsticks all over myself, I'd just be a trans lucent.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #263 on: 08 Nov 2012, 04:35 »

But baths are so awesome... I take one maybe every two weeks or so. Unfortunately, my tub is tiny and I can't really fit in it to soak properly, but I love to sit in the hot water with a bath bomb or bubble bar in there. It's calming, which is something I need. It's also much easier to shave my legs when in the bath.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #264 on: 08 Nov 2012, 04:45 »

Baths don't waste water! At least, a medium-full bath uses less water than a long shower. I have them occasionally if my muscles are achey.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #265 on: 08 Nov 2012, 05:06 »

But what use is a medium-full bath?  :-P

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #266 on: 08 Nov 2012, 05:24 »

Admittedly, I also take a shower right after the bath because I don't like the idea of sitting in a tub of my own filth...

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #267 on: 08 Nov 2012, 05:27 »

The only thing I don't like doing in a bath is washing my hair. But all of the bathtubs I've ever used have been too small for me, so it's awkward.

I don't bathe a whole lot, but I would LOVE to have a soaker tub one day. They may not be practical, but sometimes you really just want a bath and they really help relax the body. Also they're probably cheaper and more efficient than a hot tub.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #268 on: 08 Nov 2012, 08:41 »

Anyone who believes that baths are "soaking in your own filth" has a fairly incomplete understanding of the way soap works!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #269 on: 08 Nov 2012, 08:45 »

Well, it's not even filth really, most of it is just dead skin particles and oils from your skin. (Unless you've been doing other things and are coated in dirt, grease, grime, whatever, then it's more than that obviously.) It doesn't usually bother me because I'm going to be wiping all of that off with my towel (which granted probably has a bit of bacteria on it because of previous baths/showers unless it's a fresh towel).

I mean, when you think about it, you're never truly "clean". And if you're not sterilizing the tub every single time, neither is the bathtub.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #270 on: 08 Nov 2012, 08:46 »

GERMS EVERYWHERE

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #271 on: 08 Nov 2012, 08:49 »

The kid loves the tub. He gets to play with the duckies and with the puzzle pieces and be generally adorable.

Tub stays.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #272 on: 08 Nov 2012, 09:09 »

I don't really wash when taking a bath. It's all about laying there in scented water and relaxing. So no soap is used!

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #273 on: 08 Nov 2012, 14:41 »

I'm too tall for most bathtubs and also I live with 2 other dudes so our bathtub is pretty consistently not okay for bathing in.
They have long hair too so there's just long hairs all over the goddamn place.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #274 on: 08 Nov 2012, 14:54 »

Baths don't waste water! At least, a medium-full bath uses less water than a long shower.
You would have to be taking very long showers for this to be true. The average modern bath has a capacity of around 200 litres. Some old baths (like Carl's Lusitania) had capacities up to around 500 litres. A modern efficient shower-head has a flow-rate of around 10 litres per minute even on a mains-pressure water system of the sort installed most houses in Sydney. An Australian "three-star" shower-head is certified to have a flow-rate under 9 litres per minute. Assuming you have a 200 litre bath, and "medium fill" it with 150 litres of water, you'd need to be taking showers lasting in excess of 15 minutes to exceed the bath's water consumption. Obviously a 100 litre bath is roughly equivalent to a 10 minute shower, and so on.

I have actually measured the water used for a nice luxurious "Hollywood shower" in my own bathroom, leaving the water running throughout and including washing/conditioning my hair, at about 70 litres. I normally follow (loosely) the "Navy shower" system of turning the water off while I'm soaping up.

I do know that in Britain you don't have to be as conscious about water-consumption as we do down here during our periodic droughts, and that Britain produces on average much less CO2 per kW than cheap coal guzzling Australia, so these issues are perhaps less urgent, but still: "Think global, act local!"
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #275 on: 08 Nov 2012, 15:09 »

you'd need to be taking showers lasting in excess of 15 minutes to exceed the bath's water consumption.

This is not that hard;  and I know a girl in her early 20s whose showering time is only limited by when it runs cold because she's emptied the hot tank.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #276 on: 08 Nov 2012, 15:12 »

Most of my showers clock in at around 15 minutes minimum. If no one else is home or everyone else is asleep it turns into 30 mins usually.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #277 on: 08 Nov 2012, 15:12 »

I have known people who have stayed in for over half an hour. I have, too, before when I needed to shave. (I have an efficient showerhead, though, and can push a button on it to basically make it stop flowing. I do this when shaving my legs and whatnot.)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #278 on: 08 Nov 2012, 15:23 »

Yeah, my showers in the morning are usually about 10 minutes, but I consider that pretty short, so I wouldn't be surprised if most non-rushed showers were in fact more wasteful than baths.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TheEvilDog

« Reply #279 on: 08 Nov 2012, 16:48 »

I shower every morning, so thats about 20 minutes, though that gets bumped up to 30 minutes when I'm shaving. (Its not even taking a shower that it takes so long, my hair is so thick that I spend half the shower making sure that there isn't any shampoo left in there)

We did used to have a bath, back from when the house was built (Around the 30s if I'm correct). But back when I was about 12 we took it out and had the shower connected to the mains (This effectively means that we never run out of hot water).

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #280 on: 08 Nov 2012, 16:49 »

My before-work showers are always in the realm of 15 minutes. My any-other-time showers are closer to 20, 25 minutes. If I've decided to have a "spa night", at least a half hour is spent in the tub, most of it soaking, some of it shaving. I also have this great hair treatment that needs to sit in my hair for 20 minutes and it's goopy so I don't like just sitting around with it in my hair, I prefer to be in the tub. Then another 30 minutes, at least, in the shower. Then another half hour afterwards putting on lotion and whatever other fancy bath thing I happen to have at hand.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #281 on: 08 Nov 2012, 17:12 »

I don't know how long my showers are, but every time a conversation turns to water conservation I remember how spoiled I am. 

I grew up right next to one of the great lakes, so I never had any pressure to conserve water.  I know some of the outlying suburbs had no lawn watering regulations a few years when there were droughts, but we never did in the city. You could water to your hearts content. I am actually picturing the number of times I have seen automatic sprinklers on in the middle of rainstorms.  Before just now it had not occurred to me how ridiculous that must look to people from areas that need to manage their water. 

When I was little I saw an ad about turning your faucet off when you brush your teeth and I couldn't figure out how that was going to save the planet; there is plenty of water, to be a good person you just need to not pollute it!  If only.  I confess I am still not real responsible with my water, even though I do try to turn the faucet off when I brush now.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #282 on: 08 Nov 2012, 17:39 »

Hmm... It seems my viewpoint is perhaps a bit narrow and doctrinaire...  :laugh:
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2013, 02:40 by Akima »

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #283 on: 08 Nov 2012, 18:04 »

Akima, the poster raises a question: You or someone here recently posted a couple of Chinese posters with slogans, with an awkward English translation that it seems to me no English speaker would take seriously.
Do such slogans and posters carry any more weight in China? Are they taken seriously. Are they more in tune with their audience than their translations are to us? Or are sloganeers ridiculed?

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #284 on: 08 Nov 2012, 18:23 »

I'm a lazy bastard compared to all of you...I "wake up", crawl into the shower, and let the water run over me for about 30 minutes before I even start washing...it's my form of wake-up, since I get about 4 hours of sleep per night...it helps with a driving job.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #285 on: 08 Nov 2012, 19:51 »

Maybe less lazy than some of us.  If I were only getting 4 hours of sleep I would take the 30 min more sleep and just not shower. But I am comfortable not showering everyday.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #286 on: 09 Nov 2012, 00:36 »

When I mentioned that my tub was half full after washing up, I should point out that's with me in it.  When I stand, the water's barely up to my ankles - maybe 4 inches deep (10 cm)? 

In addition, the toilet (which is also from '26) used a full five gallon tank to flush when we moved in.  With a few new parts and a lot of adjustment, I got that down to under 3 gal.  Still a lot, but when I built the half-bath downstairs, I put in a low-flush (1.6 gal) toilet, and that cuts usage even more. 
« Last Edit: 09 Nov 2012, 05:36 by Carl-E »

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #287 on: 09 Nov 2012, 01:14 »

I tend to take 15 minutes to have a shower, including the time it takes me to walk over the corridor to the bathroom, go to the toilet, dry myself at the end, rewrap into a dressing gown and come back to my room. So I think all of you take longer showers than me! Except maybe Akima. I do turn the water off when I shampoo usually, as well. And the tap when I brush my teeth. Oh and another thing that I discovered might be unusual: I don't have water running constantly when I wash up. I fill a bowl/sink with soapy water, I wash the plates in it (and wipe the soap off - not usually rinse, although sometimes I might) and then dry them. I never understood why people claimed that dishwashers use less water than washing by hand until I discovered that there were many, many people who just ran the tap the whole time they washed dishes.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #288 on: 09 Nov 2012, 01:30 »

Akima, the poster raises a question: You or someone here recently posted a couple of Chinese posters with slogans, with an awkward English translation that it seems to me no English speaker would take seriously.
To avoid derailing this thread too much, I decided to answer your questions over in the Political Art thread in the Discuss sub-forum.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #289 on: 09 Nov 2012, 02:09 »

I do turn the water off when I shampoo usually, as well.

The water turning off has always been the signal of "I am now done with the shower and will be exiting, drying off, and vacating the bathroom soon." I used to live with 3 other people (now only 2) and we have just one bathroom, so signalling that you are done means that everyone else can start getting ready to use the bathroom.
The only time this stopped working was when my housemate's ex would shower. She would shower then stand in the bathroom with the water off and air dry. None of us knew why she did that. I guess there ought to be a law against drip drying when you live with other people and share a bathroom.

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #290 on: 09 Nov 2012, 02:31 »

I never understood why people claimed that dishwashers use less water than washing by hand until I discovered that there were many, many people who just ran the tap the whole time they washed dishes.

Thatīs insane.
I unplugged my kitchen-boiler to force myself to use warm water only when I do the dishes (via filling the sink with hot water from the electric-kettle).

Although I read somewhere big-city sewage systems require a certain amount of constant flow of water to funtion properly, so that might put a damper on the whole water-saving thing..

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #291 on: 09 Nov 2012, 12:08 »

TOBAL against wearing leggings, especially translucent ones, as trousers with a short top. This is grand. This is pushing it. This is bad. (I chose that one specifically for the lack of cameltoe.) Basically I don't want to see your Barbie/Ken logo area, especially not appearing to be vacuum sealed.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #292 on: 09 Nov 2012, 12:34 »

Shows how little I know about fashion. I think the third one looks better than the second one.  Then again I'm not quite sure I know the difference between "leggings", "trousers" and "pants". (I'm pretty sure the second and third are the same, just regional. Are leggings just tight pants?)
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #293 on: 09 Nov 2012, 13:05 »

TOBAL against driving under the speed limit. I now have to factor extra time into my schedule to accommodate slow driving idiots.

and construction, there should be a law against road construction that closes roads lasting more than 2 months. If you don't close the road, whatever, take as long as you want... but if you close the road......... grrrrrr

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #294 on: 09 Nov 2012, 13:19 »

Shows how little I know about fashion. I think the third one looks better than the second one.  Then again I'm not quite sure I know the difference between "leggings", "trousers" and "pants". (I'm pretty sure the second and third are the same, just regional. Are leggings just tight pants?)

The third one isn't a great example, because admittedly that's a photo of exercise clothes. Although I'd personally rather wear something loose and breezy for exercise. It's more this look that bugs me.
Leggings are skin-tight and stretchy, usually lycra or spandex is what I see, so they conform to the shape of what's in them very closely. Also some people call them "footless tights" and TOBAL against that too. Tights/pantyhose are a different thing.

Also I have bugger all interest in fashion. I don't know where my opinion falls on the spectrum of trend.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #295 on: 09 Nov 2012, 15:55 »

By the way, I am picturing every last one of you in the shower, one by one, and it's awesome.  :psyduck:
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #296 on: 09 Nov 2012, 16:35 »

TOBAL against driving under the speed limit. I now have to factor extra time into my schedule to accommodate slow driving idiots.
TOBAL against people that drive way too slow on single-lane roads, then when the yellow line goes dotted (indicating it's legal to pass if there's no oncoming traffic), they try and speed up to fuck with you when you're trying to pass them.

I had one guy do that, then when I finally passed him (I have a bigger engine, haha), he kept making obscene gestures indicating he wanted me to pull over (as if I'd give him the courtesy of pulling over to let him bitch at me, or knife me). I called the cops, they came up behind him after a couple minutes, and pulled him over. Never saw him again, or heard from the police about it.

By the way, I am picturing every last one of you in the shower, one by one, and it's awesome.  :psyduck:

Am I a "10"? XD
Worry Hat, Engage!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #297 on: 09 Nov 2012, 17:05 »

I don't even know what gender you are.

But yes  :mrgreen:
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Zingoleb

« Reply #298 on: 09 Nov 2012, 17:41 »

My gender isn't so much fluid as really, really big.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #299 on: 09 Nov 2012, 17:50 »

My gender isn't so much fluid as really, really big.

Quoth the Takei, "Oh Myyy."

He never gets old. XD
Worry Hat, Engage!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Up