THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: There oughta be a law!  (Read 106572 times)

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
Re: There oughta be a law!
« Reply #350 on: 11 Nov 2012, 19:56 »

My signature used to be my first two initials in cursive, JC, (my birthname isn't Jace, but I've gone by Jace since 2nd grade), then the first 4 letters of my last name and 4 loops crossing the t.

Now it is my initials JCB with 1-4 loops coming off of the B.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #351 on: 11 Nov 2012, 20:36 »

I modeled mine after my father's - very large, looping initial letters.  I worked hard at it, and it's sort of a John Hancock now - usually about 1 1/2 inches high (~4cm?) and it doesn't fit in a lot of signature slots...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #352 on: 12 Nov 2012, 01:53 »

Yeah, I went after my fathers signature too. Especially the wide loopy "T" that is the centerpiece.
I love writing my signature thatīs why I pay so much stuff with a debit-card.
Also it often makes the cashiers smile.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #353 on: 12 Nov 2012, 03:03 »

I have never had the artistic inclination to create a signature as a separate thing; I sign with my name in my handwriting.  In fact, I am unreasonably irritated by forms which have an extra space for my name in capitals as well as the one for my signature, and make a point of writing my legible name/signature identically in both spaces (or if the space is small, just once across the two of them).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #354 on: 12 Nov 2012, 03:48 »

I just write my name very fast, it doesn't look the same every time - especially since I recently taught myself cursive so successfully that I now find it hard to write in print.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #355 on: 12 Nov 2012, 05:09 »

My signature looks like my name in cursive, but usually the L is pretty big because I really like writing cursive L's. And sometimes I miss a letter, but that's more to do with me hurrying, like signing credit card machines at the grocery.

Also if you practice, cursive will come back to you. I practice every now and then and it has gotten better. I still have difficulty stringing some words together, but that's because my normal handwriting is a combination of print and cursive letters and I always want to pick up my pen for certain letters.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

ackblom12

« Reply #356 on: 12 Nov 2012, 05:55 »

My signature is a fairly obvious cursive S and T followed by ineligible scribble.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #357 on: 12 Nov 2012, 05:58 »

Nine times out of ten, if I'm signing my name fast, it's usually only my first initial, first and last letters of my last name. Most of the time, even when I'm signing a check, I don't even spell out my last name.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #358 on: 12 Nov 2012, 05:58 »

(Edited to remove picture of super messy signature on top and regular messy cursive signature on bottom)
Current signature on top, old one on the bottom...

I very rarely had to sign anything until I started working as management at Hot Topic. And so I had the bottom signature. But then I got really tired of taking so long to sign everything and changed it to the top one. Which looks almost exactly like my mother's.
« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2012, 06:57 by nekowafer »
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #359 on: 12 Nov 2012, 06:38 »

Guys, is it sensible to post your signature on the internet...?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #360 on: 12 Nov 2012, 06:42 »

I thought the same thing...

The only thing I ever write in cursive is my name.  Strictly speaking, I don't have a signature, I just write my name in cursive.  One could say that there's no difference but my signature will look at least a little different each time.  There's no muscle memory, it's just me writing my name, since I don't have to sign my name terribly often.

Same here. I enjoy writing my first name in cursive so I sign whenever it's possible though. The first letter isn't cursive so there's a tiny bit of signature-thing going on there. :P

Also... Living in Sweden, not many people around have Rodrigo as their first name so I'm cool with it.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #361 on: 12 Nov 2012, 06:55 »

Guys, is it sensible to post your signature on the internet...?

Nope.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #362 on: 12 Nov 2012, 06:57 »

I can't say that I'm overly concerned to be honest, but I edited my post to remove the picture.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #363 on: 12 Nov 2012, 07:02 »

Damn, missed my opportunity....

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #364 on: 12 Nov 2012, 07:12 »

To sign a check for the $20 I have in my bank account. I know, it's a disappointment.

Zingoleb

« Reply #365 on: 12 Nov 2012, 07:13 »

I just checked. I still have a bank account!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #366 on: 12 Nov 2012, 07:25 »

I wouldn't just edit your posts, I hope you remove it from whoever was hosting it as well.

Like, I've had my bank account highjacked before and it's just an extremely stressful situation and I'd hate for anyone to go through that. But bank accounts aren't the only thing, there's also identity theft to consider, which is much more difficult to fix.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #367 on: 12 Nov 2012, 07:45 »

The thing is, plenty of people see both my signature and full name every day. When I send paperwork to doctors, I sign the cover page. And there's all the old paperwork, some secured and some not, with my signature.

If this included any information on a bank account, then I would absolutely be concerned. But just my signature isn't going to get anyone anything.

Zingoleb

« Reply #368 on: 12 Nov 2012, 08:12 »

This thread got me insanely curious as to what would happen if I tried to do a search for my full name on google. A couple forums (this one and another one I frequented a few years ago), but also this:

http://pastebin.com/MBkyCaeX
http://pastebin.com/6yazmg83

...Turns out someone took a private post I made on Facebook and made a public log of it elsewhere. And I'm about 99.9% sure it's my ex.

I am pissed off now.

...there out to be a law against this sort of thing?

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #369 on: 12 Nov 2012, 08:33 »

The thing is, plenty of people see both my signature and full name every day. When I send paperwork to doctors, I sign the cover page. And there's all the old paperwork, some secured and some not, with my signature.

If this included any information on a bank account, then I would absolutely be concerned. But just my signature isn't going to get anyone anything.

Actually, it can. If people found out, say, your SN# and they already have your signature, then it'll be very easy for them to purchase things under your name or open credit cards and ruin your credit and all sorts of things. One of my classmates had her identity stolen by someone in California who was buying houses under her name and she didn't know about it until her and her husband went to get a loan for their house. It eventually got cleared up, but she said her credit was a mess for a couple of years.

I mean, seeing signatures is one thing, but having an image online is something different simply because 1) not everyone who sees it is trustworthy and a LOT more people will see it online and 2) it's a lot easier to copy.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper
« Reply #370 on: 12 Nov 2012, 16:07 »

HIPAA laws in the United States make very clear punishments about spreading someone's personal health information (including insurance ID numbers), but if it can't be traced back to the perpetrator, they can get away with a LOT...they probably already have DoB, they can get SSN from the insurance company with the guise of "trying to submit a claim", they already have address, etc...it's very dangerous.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #371 on: 12 Nov 2012, 22:52 »

stuff on pastebin

How come no one told Gemma Seymour-Amper to check her fucking privilege?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #372 on: 13 Nov 2012, 06:55 »

The links didn't work. Also, I've heard it plenty of times but I'm still not sure what it means to "check your privilege".
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ackblom12

Zingoleb

« Reply #374 on: 13 Nov 2012, 07:33 »

The links didn't work. Also, I've heard it plenty of times but I'm still not sure what it means to "check your privilege".

Good! I don't want people to be able to read that shit. I sent my ex an email asking if she knew anything about them - she sent me one in return attacking me, completely ignoring what I asked her, but they're taken down now.

I'm so confused why she would tell me to take it down from facebook and then put it up for anyone to see it.

Ugh, there should just be a button you can press that keeps people out of your life.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #375 on: 13 Nov 2012, 07:38 »

That is pretty creepy and the reaction definitely makes it seem like it was them. I did see the links before they were taken down and I really don't understand why someone would get upset over what you posted and not just get upset, but make it so about them.

Zingoleb

« Reply #376 on: 13 Nov 2012, 07:44 »

All it was was a Facebook post disclosing some mental health issues I deal with.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #377 on: 13 Nov 2012, 07:45 »

http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Privilege
Interesting.  Not really sure what to do with that, but...interesting.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #378 on: 13 Nov 2012, 08:41 »

My best friend had her identity stolen and nothing was done about it.  We know the address of the people who did it, because they had credit cards in her name and had things shipped to their address.  The police did nothing about it.  They took police reports on each new account she discovered, but said they couldn't go an arrest them because there was no proof it was really the people at that address. It seems like minimal investigation could prove it was, but it was just not a priority. 

She had a lock put on her identity, so that opening new accounts required answering a series of questions about herself.  The problem was half of the information the credit agencies had about her was wrong.  For instance when she went to open a new cell phone account, one of the questions was "have you ever lived on X street" Or "what is the amount owed on you Y account?"  These were questions about the couple who stole her identity, and not her, so she answered them as such. (I never lived there.  I have never opened an account with them)  This meant she got the "wrong" answers and they denied her application as fraud.  Meanwhile the couple posing as her? They could have answered these questions with no problem.   The ones that did pertain to her were all things contained on her credit report, which they could have easily accessed with the information they clearly had, since they opened multiple accounts in her name. 

[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

ackblom12

« Reply #379 on: 13 Nov 2012, 09:36 »

http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Privilege
Interesting.  Not really sure what to do with that, but...interesting.

The article linked in that entry is quite useful to get a better understanding of the concept as well. "Check My What?"

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #380 on: 13 Nov 2012, 09:53 »

I read part of that, but I can't help but be bothered by the idea of "minority spaces"...the name makes it seem by definition to exclude others. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the concept.  I need to read more of it.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Papersatan

« Reply #381 on: 13 Nov 2012, 11:14 »

I think the way to think about "minority spaces" is this:

If there are minority groups who are subject to discrimination at a societal level, "safe" spaces are bound to form in which individuals need not worry about filtering their identities through the majority opinion.  A space in which groups can form and try to sort out their own meaning: What does it mean to be "one of us" what are our experiences, what do we value, what don't we value, how do we want to be seen by others, how can we achieve equality.  And to do this in a place in which they are the dominant culture. 

When members of the society-wide dominant group enter these spaces and say "wait, wait.. but you guys are X." or "Hold on, but how does your reinterpretation of your own meaning change *my* meaning as a member of the dominant group" or "You can't say that, because it offends me, and makes you all hypocrites."  then you are taking away the groups' agency to define themselves and pressing upon them the dominant opinion.  You are also prone to be offensive without even realizing you have done so by assuming you understand the experiences of someone from this group because you have read a lot about it, or you are sensitive to their concerns. 

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #382 on: 13 Nov 2012, 12:20 »

It's a space where people can hang out with people like themselves and have a safe, carefree environment. I mean, honestly, those are everywhere when you think about it. One of my friends belongs to a group for Jewish young professionals and I went with her to an event once*. I also used to belong to a college aged bible study group when I went to church. People form little clubs with like people all of the time, it's not uncommon. People generally feel comfortable when they surround themselves with like people. It's not that they want to ostracize everyone else, it's that they just want to socialize in a comfort zone.

*I have to do a project for a class that is called "Out of My Comfort Zone" where I need to interact with a community I am generally not familiar or comfortable with. I am unbelievably annoyed with this project because I feel that it's set up in a way where I need to invade the space of others. I asked one of my friends to bring me to some of the events with her Jewish YP club and while she was ok with it, I felt so uncomfortable. Not because of the people, they were all very nice, but because I know I didn't belong there.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #383 on: 13 Nov 2012, 12:59 »

Sounds like you'll have earned an A on the project.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #384 on: 13 Nov 2012, 19:43 »

That reminds me of a paper I had to write for my Intro to Religion class my freshman year. We were supposed to go to a service of a religion other than our own (which for me is literally any religion), and write about it.  I ended up going to a Quaker Meeting, which turned out to be 45 minutes of silence, followed by bagels and conversation.  (I don't say that to diminish it, I thought it was fascinating.)  As soon as the silence ended and they headed into the other room, I told a few people why I was there.  I was lucky, as everyone I talked to was very welcoming.  In fact, now that I think about it...I kind of want to go back and experience it again.  (This was six years ago, by the way)

As for a Jewish Young Professionals gathering, unless it was an Orthodox thing I can't imagine there was anything in it that would have made you feel excluded.  What made you uncomfortable, if you don't mind me asking?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #385 on: 13 Nov 2012, 20:58 »

I didn't feel excluded, the people I talked to were very nice and welcoming.
(click to show/hide)

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #386 on: 13 Nov 2012, 23:06 »

There's a song called Christmas in the Trenches which I've linked in the past, about the Christmas truce in 1914.  The two opposing sides put down their guns, came out and played soccer, sang carols, shared a few drinks, and then... went back to fighting. 

The last line is "...and on each end of the rifle, we're the same".  The point of exercises like that is exactly what both linds and method experienced, that the people in these groups are just people, like anyone else - something the cultural divisions you "violated" would normally not let you observe. 

I don't have a problem with colleges teaching "life lessons" like this, but I think it can go terribly wrong, and some people may not learn the intended lesson no matter where they go!  Pushing boundaries is fine, until they start pushing back. 

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #387 on: 14 Nov 2012, 03:54 »

Being in places where I feel like I don't belong or fit in makes me anxious.

Wait, do people actually not have this sort of anxiety? Because I know that when I go to a place where I feel that I don't fit in (most recently it was going to the bar down the street, it just didn't feel right to be in a bar having a shot) I just feel weird and want to leave and go back to my room where everything is familiar.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #388 on: 14 Nov 2012, 03:59 »

I don't really get anxious, I'm a bit too familiar with the feeling of not fitting in I guess. I just sort of accept that I'm much too different from everyone else to just fit in right away.

VonKleist

« Reply #389 on: 14 Nov 2012, 04:13 »

I guess the intensity varies from person to person.
I used to get the shakes when I was feeling out of place or uncomfortable in a situation. Some kind of nervous reaction. Sometimes at university Iīd nearly spill the coffee I was holding because it was so bad.
Also this happened a lot when falling in love.
But that subsided over the years. Now I just feel the normal slightly panicky anxiety :roll:

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #390 on: 14 Nov 2012, 05:14 »

For many in the "melting pot" of the US, especially the privileged, the belief exists that they shouldn't have any reason to feel uncomfortable anywhere.  The assignment is to push them into a position of discomfort. 

It can backfire miserably on those of us who are quite familiar with social discomfort, thank you. 

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #391 on: 14 Nov 2012, 07:13 »

Wait, do people actually not have this sort of anxiety? Because I know that when I go to a place where I feel that I don't fit in (most recently it was going to the bar down the street, it just didn't feel right to be in a bar having a shot) I just feel weird and want to leave and go back to my room where everything is familiar.

I am guessing when you're a big extrovert, no. I do know a few people that are pretty much comfortable wherever and love big crowds, including two of my best friends. I, however, do not like big crowds and never have. Even when it's a big party and I know over half the people there, I still get nervous. I wring my hands a lot and it ranges from cracking my knuckles to pretty much trying to pull my fingers off of my hands.

ackblom12

« Reply #392 on: 14 Nov 2012, 07:14 »

To be fair, I'm fairly sure I have clinical levels of anxiety, but fucking hell extroverts needs to realize they are not the one and only type of mingler.

Papersatan

« Reply #393 on: 14 Nov 2012, 09:51 »

Perhaps the assignment was conceived not so that you would attend a group meeting which has explicit membership requirements which you do not meet ("Jewish professionals, Black Scholars") but to some event or location where there are implicit memberships.  There are many event and location which have a different dominant group, but where the cause of the event is not for this group of people specifically to assemble. The problem is it is difficult to find and identify events not targeted at a population you belong to unless they are specifically labeled.

The best examples I can thing of off the top of my head are things like a discussion panel on community activism hosted by a local Black Baptist Church, would likely be attended primarily by members of that church, but would be open to anyone, and church membership would not be assumed.  Or a public market in a predominantly Hispanic neighborhood, where most people would be Hispanic, and speaking Spanish, but being Hispanic would not be a requirement of shopping there. 

I think being inserted into a group you are not a part of is stressful for anyone.  I have great social skills, and I am pretty good at interacting with new people and I am not at all shy.  I would still feel awkward as the sole out-group person in a group gathering.  Realizing you are surrounded by people who are members of a group you are not a member of makes you hyper aware of where you sit within that particular social division.  If you are a member of the socially dominant group it makes you suddenly aware of the comfort you might generally have in other spaces which get to be "yours" by default. If you are a member of a group which is not socially dominant, then your awareness about your lack of power increases.  Because these situations are uncomfortable, many people avoid them altogether and that is a shame, since there are things to be gained by interacting outside of your comfort zone as it were. 

I don't necessarily think the idea of the assignment was bad, but perhaps the specific instructions about how to go about finding a place to carry it out. 

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #394 on: 14 Nov 2012, 10:40 »

The problem is we were supposed to find a community that we have had little to no interactions with previously. And it has to be a group we can interact with at least 5 times. Your two examples would have been great...except I've pretty much done those already at some point in my life. And the examples that the prompt gave were, "I'm going to such and such place because my students go there." I have no students. Most of the people in this class do. And almost none of them are artists/art teachers, who pretty much seek this kind of thing out all the time. And most of the things I wanted to do conflicted with classes.

Anywho, back to TOBAL.

TOBAL against companies calling you just because they found out you're getting married from another company they are kind-of-sort-of affiliated with. STOP. CALLING. ME. Just because I visited someone else's website does not mean I want to visit yours nor do I want your stuff. Leave me alone!

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #395 on: 14 Nov 2012, 10:52 »

Is there any sort of preferential call blocking that you can get? Non-directory-ness? We never get calls like that.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #396 on: 14 Nov 2012, 20:40 »

I never answer if the number isn't stored in my phone and don't return calls if there's no message. They left a message that was kind of confusing, so I called back, which ended up being a mistake. But I am being bombarded by emails and phone calls and I just want it to stop. T-T

Papersatan

« Reply #397 on: 14 Nov 2012, 20:49 »

I don't think anyone called me, and I didn't get many emails either.  Maybe I got all the little "bitch don't contact me" boxes checked correctly, or maybe they have just upped their game. 

Also, I may not have actually told any websites I was getting married.  I know I used to use knot.com, but I may not have registered.

VonKleist

« Reply #398 on: 15 Nov 2012, 01:33 »

I never answer if the number isn't stored in my phone and don't return calls if there's no message.

And that is the only way to roll.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper
« Reply #399 on: 15 Nov 2012, 05:29 »

I wish I could still roll like that...my phone is paid for by my job, so I have to accept calls from strangers. Of course, if I don't want to talk to them, I can just tell them "let me transfer you to the correct department" *hangup*  ;D
Worry Hat, Engage!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Up