THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: There oughta be a law!  (Read 106611 times)

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
Re: There oughta be a law!
« Reply #450 on: 11 Dec 2012, 16:17 »

Actually, reheating most foods isn't bad but some things, like fish seem to stick in the air. I shouldn't come in a full 24 hours after someone's shift and smell the fish they reheated in the microwave.

TOBAL against having an office that has no real airflow.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #451 on: 11 Dec 2012, 16:29 »

Bunt popcorn is just as objectionable as fish really.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #452 on: 11 Dec 2012, 17:24 »

I relish all these food puns.

That said, I mustard heard them all before.
If we let it go too long, we'll never ketchup.

Which in India, IIRC, is made with pumpkin.

Zingoleb

« Reply #453 on: 11 Dec 2012, 17:32 »

That sounds infinitely tastier than ketchup made with tomatoes. With pumpkin ketchup I don't think I'd have to squash down my distaste.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper
« Reply #454 on: 11 Dec 2012, 19:04 »

Not to let slip, but in Puerto Rico they have Banana Ketchup.

It's actually really tasty.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Papersatan

« Reply #455 on: 11 Dec 2012, 19:37 »

ketchup used to just mean sauce.  That is why the bottle still frequently specifies "tomato ketchup"

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #456 on: 11 Dec 2012, 21:00 »

Don't forget... "Grade A Fancy"...because no one wants that high school dropout ketchup. That shit tastes like bad weed and crushed dreams.

Sorta related: They sell "Grade A" and "Grade B" maple syrup at Whole Foods...why? And why are they the same price? There oughta be a law against that!
Worry Hat, Engage!

Papersatan

« Reply #457 on: 11 Dec 2012, 21:10 »

B grade is supposed to be better for some things.  I don't remember why or what. 

henri bemis

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Don't F with my glasses
« Reply #458 on: 11 Dec 2012, 21:29 »

ketchup used to just mean sauce.  That is why the bottle still frequently specifies "tomato ketchup"

I think that's also why I still love BBQ sauce (even the crappiest kind, which I know in my heart is just the result of someone knocking their spice rack into a batch of tomato ketchup).  I really do not like tomato ketchup on its own.

And there oughta be a law against putting that shit on something unless you ask for it.  When ketchup packets are so ubiquitous that any one of us would never have to actually buy ketchup again, just leave it out.  You're going to give me packets anyway!

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #459 on: 12 Dec 2012, 05:01 »

There is a "没有" pun here some where, but I can't speak enough Chinese to make it.  Akima?

When I tutored my Chinese student/friend in English one of our lessons went over condiments, because she never knew what to order when she got food. I brought in a small sample of everything I could find and a container of french fries and she tried them all and I helped her learn the names.  She had trouble pronouncing "mayonnaise" (which she liked and so would want to know how to ask for) I told her to just say "没有" (Chinese for don't have) instead, because, to my ears anyways, it was the same sound as "mayo" and if I heard it that way, so would most waiters. 
It is one of the few times my very limited Chinese has been useful.
没有 (méi​yǒu) is quite close to the English "mayo", but the third-tone on the second syllable is a bit off. Closer would be 煤油 (méi​yóu​) with both syllables in the second-tone. It means "kerosene", which might be just as oily as mayonnaise, but probably won't taste as good on your salad.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #460 on: 12 Dec 2012, 11:45 »

When I eat somewhere that gives out salt and vinegar packets, I always take a shitload to keep in my bag, because KFC and Burger King don't have them a lot of the time and dammit I like salt and vinegar on my fries.

Yes, I'm insane, but it pays off!
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #461 on: 12 Dec 2012, 11:52 »

I don't believe I've seen vinegar packets anywhere 'round these parts.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #462 on: 12 Dec 2012, 12:07 »

It always takes me a while to find mayo packets. I always expect them to be white but salad cream is white. Mayo is usually in blue packets, which thanks to salt and vinegar crisps, I expect blue to be vinegar, but it's brown, which makes more sense if it's brown vinegar but sometimes it's clear vinegar.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #463 on: 12 Dec 2012, 13:31 »

"Salad cream" sounds gross.  After wikiing it, it appears to be similar to mayo, which means yes...it is gross.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #464 on: 12 Dec 2012, 15:23 »

They're everywhere over here. I'll make sure to stock up if I visit the US.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #465 on: 12 Dec 2012, 17:26 »

"Salad cream" sounds gross.  After wikiing it, it appears to be similar to mayo, which means yes...it is gross.

It was originally a cheap mayo substitute created during UK rationing days. The flavor stuck...I guess anything added tastes good on a bacon butty. >.<

It must be regional then...in New England, there's tons of places with vinegar...sandwich shops mostly (try Subway...just make sure it's vinegar, not vinegrette) but fast food joints often have them too if the management doesn't have their head up their ass (That last part is from experience...I used to run a Burger King).

Actually, you're more likely to get red wine vinegar at sandwich shops, come to think of it. Malt vinegar is more the fast food thing.

Also...why are you people even worrying about vinegar in packets?! If you don't want to make an absolute mess (vinegar's surface tension is less than water, making it harder to pour from a packet), just buy a squeeze bottle of it at the local supermarket! XD
Worry Hat, Engage!

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #466 on: 12 Dec 2012, 17:29 »

I will often see vinegar offered as a condiment, but it's usually in a bottle or something like that. I've just never seen it in packets.

Salad cream sounds gross to me too. And I can't wrap my head around mayo in packets - I know it's fine but why doesn't it go bad?
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #467 on: 12 Dec 2012, 17:46 »

I'd never heard of salad cream until today. Looked it up on Wiki, and saw as I suspected that it "resembles" salad dressing, which to me "resembles" mayo. The Wikipedia entry said it's sold in a number of East Coast grocery chains, Stop&Shop included, and also in the Meijer's stores in my part of the Midwest. I'm not tempted. I add salad dressing and pickle relish to my canned tuna for sandwiches. That's enough.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #468 on: 12 Dec 2012, 17:47 »

And I can't wrap my head around mayo in packets - I know it's fine but why doesn't it go bad?

For the same reason it doesn't go bad in the jar, until you open it up.  :laugh: It's pasteurized. Completely sterile inside, no microorganisms to feast upon it...until you deflower it, taking away its innocence and corrupting it to the hell that is this world. And the tasty burger on which it will draw its last breath.

I add salad dressing and pickle relish to my canned tuna for sandwiches.

Interesting...I will have to try that. What kind of dressing?
Worry Hat, Engage!

henri bemis

« Reply #469 on: 12 Dec 2012, 21:09 »

I think I'm going to have nightmares because salad cream exists.  I already hated mayo, and finding out that there's something worse? 

I am just going to sit in a corner and snuggle my hot sauce for a bit.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #470 on: 13 Dec 2012, 00:04 »

In chippies here you not infrequently see a synthetic vinegar labelled "non-brewed condiment".
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #471 on: 13 Dec 2012, 00:36 »

I like salad cream. Stop hating on salad cream.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Zingoleb

« Reply #472 on: 13 Dec 2012, 00:41 »

But May, you're also British.

You all aren't exactly known for your top notch cuisine. (Do you know what I had for Christmas dinner every year? Steamed cabbage, boiled potatoes, boiled corn, boiled peas, boiled carrots, boiled onions...)

Papersatan

« Reply #473 on: 13 Dec 2012, 00:44 »

Did you live in a Victorian orphanage?

Zingoleb

« Reply #474 on: 13 Dec 2012, 01:15 »

Not quite. My grandmother likes her English food, though (she coats her chips in malt vinegar; from a young age I found that disgusting and can't even stomach the smell of vinegar).

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #475 on: 13 Dec 2012, 01:46 »

I'd never heard of salad cream until today. Looked it up on Wiki, and saw as I suspected that it "resembles" salad dressing, which to me "resembles" mayo.
Salad dressing in the USA is very strange. In Chicago, having been warned of fat-laden horrors like Ranch Dressing, I once ordered a salad with French Dressing. It was gooey, sweet, pink, and not at all what I expected (a vinaigrette made with oil, wine vinegar, salt, pepper, and maybe a small pinch of ground mustard).
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Zingoleb

« Reply #476 on: 13 Dec 2012, 01:51 »

This is going to sound odd, but I kind of hate all salad dressing. If I'm going to eat a salad I just pour olive oil on it.

VonKleist

• First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #477 on: 13 Dec 2012, 03:52 »

TOBAL against unfair and excessive dunning charges

waaait... there are laws..

So yeah, I got a letter from debt-collectors because I didn't pay my fine for fare-dodging to German Railways.
They demanded nearly a hundred bucks, making the reminder fees almost the amount of the original fine. I thought about it for a second and googled this shit. Turns out german law is inconclusive but generally an amount of 3€ per reminder is deemed fitting. German Railways sends two reminders and then shoves the whole thing to a debt-collecting company.
Imho this is fraud... I just payed the original fine plus the reminder fee of 7€ and now wait to see if they´ll try to press charges.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #478 on: 13 Dec 2012, 04:17 »

When Royal Mail collects duty on VAT on purchases I've made from abroad, they add an £8 collection fee (other couriers are similar), which for the things I buy is often double the amount being collected; their collection fee for unpaid postage is only £1 or so, which rather shows the other one up (I suppose there's extra paperwork dealing with the tax authorities, but even so...).

I've also had a courier try to refuse to deliver until I paid duty as for a new item on what was actually the return of a repair.  Grrr!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

VonKleist

• First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #479 on: 13 Dec 2012, 04:23 »

I usually avoid trouble and cough up. But this just seemed too unreasonable. No way, no how. The administrative costs can never ever be high enough to justify the markup.

The same problem persists with fees on failed debit transfers. My phone-company charges 15-20€ per failed debit just because they can, because there still is no regulation on this.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #480 on: 13 Dec 2012, 05:53 »

I've had my bank charge over $300 in fees just because I overdrew my account by $20. They charged by transaction, and they ordered finalized transactions on my statement which would appear on the same day, by their monetary amount. Instead of by when they first were charged to my account. So a simply re-ordering of transactions would have resulted in a single $35 fee, not $315.

I asked them why they do this, and they said "Well, we don't want your biggest purchase to get declined because of insufficient funds, so we put that first. What if it was your mortgage?" But they don't decline any purchases. They approve any purchase made, knowing full well that they get to charge $35 for each one, regardless of the purchase size.

The only state they don't do this in, is Nevada. Because Nevada state legislature actually has laws against that shit.

So fuck you, Bank of Murricah. You go die now.
Worry Hat, Engage!

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #481 on: 13 Dec 2012, 06:06 »

You might be getting some of that back: www.bofaoverdraftsettlement.com
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #482 on: 13 Dec 2012, 06:31 »

Yeah I haven't had that issue lately with BofA - I just get one overage charge. Though I have it linked to my savings account so it can just take money out of that, and only charge me a $10 fee.

henri bemis

« Reply #483 on: 13 Dec 2012, 13:21 »

Ugh, BoA.  I keep meaning to switch because they've pulled that shit on me, too.  I'm surprised they don't try to charge overdraft fees for not being able to cover the overdraft fees.  They certainly don't give a shit about anyone's mortgage.  They could at least be honest and say "Yeah, we just get shitloads of money this way."

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #484 on: 13 Dec 2012, 19:44 »

You might be getting some of that back: www.bofaoverdraftsettlement.com

HAH. Indeed, I did get a settlement check. It was for SIXTEEN FUCKING DOLLARS. No, I'm afraid they'll never fully repay their bullshittery.

Ugh, BoA.  I keep meaning to switch because they've pulled that shit on me, too.

Try TD Bank. Nice policies, very flexible hours.

I'm surprised they don't try to charge overdraft fees for not being able to cover the overdraft fees.

They used to, before Obama put a stop to it.

They could at least be honest and say "Yeah, we just get shitloads of money this way."

They really do. They make more money off of overdraft fees than they make on mortgage interest or credit card interest. It makes me want to turn my back on the entire capitalist machine, and punch Ayn Rand's corpse in the fucking face.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #485 on: 14 Dec 2012, 00:32 »

Get in line. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Papersatan

« Reply #486 on: 14 Dec 2012, 00:45 »

Join a credit union.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #487 on: 14 Dec 2012, 06:43 »

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #488 on: 14 Dec 2012, 06:53 »

Join a credit union.

That's what I did when I got fed up with BofA.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #489 on: 04 Jan 2013, 17:41 »

There is a "没有" pun here some where, but I can't speak enough Chinese to make it.  Akima?

When I tutored my Chinese student/friend in English one of our lessons went over condiments, because she never knew what to order when she got food. I brought in a small sample of everything I could find and a container of french fries and she tried them all and I helped her learn the names.  She had trouble pronouncing "mayonnaise" (which she liked and so would want to know how to ask for) I told her to just say "没有" (Chinese for don't have) instead, because, to my ears anyways, it was the same sound as "mayo" and if I heard it that way, so would most waiters. 
It is one of the few times my very limited Chinese has been useful.
没有 (méi​yǒu) is quite close to the English "mayo", but the third-tone on the second syllable is a bit off. Closer would be 煤油 (méi​yóu​) with both syllables in the second-tone. It means "kerosene", which might be just as oily as mayonnaise, but probably won't taste as good on your salad.

Holy shit, second- and third-tones? What in the actual fuck, I've got a really good ear and I think I'd have a lot of trouble with Chinese.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #490 on: 04 Jan 2013, 19:38 »

Holy shit, second- and third-tones? What in the actual fuck, I've got a really good ear and I think I'd have a lot of trouble with Chinese.

Likewise. There oughta be a law against confusing languages. Like English... 8)
Worry Hat, Engage!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #491 on: 04 Jan 2013, 20:48 »

How about a law that after N hours of a car alarm going off, the vehicle is no longer protected legally against vandalism or arson?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #492 on: 04 Jan 2013, 22:11 »

Hours? Not minutes? Wow...you're pretty generous there...time for Kugai to assemble the Lug Wrench Army?
Worry Hat, Engage!

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #493 on: 05 Jan 2013, 09:19 »

I can see them... marching in formation... twirling those wrenches in beautiful, horrible patterns as the populace flee before them...

And on each arm, the black lugwrench in a white circle on a red armband...

Kinda like this;

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #494 on: 05 Jan 2013, 09:34 »

Dear soccer players.

When you're whistled for a foul and then pick up the ball, run 20 yards away and drop it, the referee should be allowed to punch you in the face.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #495 on: 05 Jan 2013, 10:38 »

I can see them... marching in formation... twirling those wrenches in beautiful, horrible patterns as the populace flee before them...

And on each arm, the black lugwrench in a white circle on a red armband...

Kinda like this;
[...]
Very wrong, very fucking funny.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #496 on: 05 Jan 2013, 12:45 »

There ought to be a law that makes it illegal to leave an unoccupied building lit up like a Christmas tree. If we're serious about reducing carbon emissions, why not invest in subsidies for motion-sensitive lighting, and make a target (say, for instance, 2020) by which point all commercial and state buildings must have installed them so that lights which aren't being used turn off after, perhaps, two hours.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Papersatan

« Reply #497 on: 05 Jan 2013, 13:05 »

Is this not common in the UK?
I think it has been common here for a long time, as a cost savings measure more than to be 'green'.

Most classrooms I have been in (high school and college) have lights that go off if you stop moving for 30 min (annoying when you are trying to read).  The lights in the hallway at my current school do this too.  Most library stacks have lights on timers (though for the protection of the books more than for energy savings) I think most offices do this too.  My image of someone walking into a large office at night is the lights flickering on just before them as they walk.  Actually, my mother used to complain about the lights going off on her when she worked late at the office, because the sensor could not 'see' into her cubicle.  Even the lights in the freezer section of my local grocery store are motion sensitive, so when the store is pretty empty (3 am) they light up for you as you walk down the aisle. 

The only place I really see lights on when no one is there is in stores where they leave one set of dim lights on when the store is closed, but I was always under the impression that was to make it easier for security to keep an eye on things.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #498 on: 05 Jan 2013, 13:06 »

There ought to be a law that makes it illegal to leave an unoccupied building lit up like a Christmas tree.

They will argue that if they can be considered to contribute to security, then they are being used...

In related news, last month I replaced lights in my house which consumed 650W with lights consuming 93W and giving somewhat higher light levels.  They are 13 of the very latest LED downlighters, and the first I have found that I am comfortable to live with (not even the ones demonstrated to me the previous month were acceptable).  Mind you, they cost £390 + VAT, roughly three times the cost of the lights they replaced - but as well as the savings on power in the long term, there is no bulb replacement cost to factor in either.  There is another similarly lit room that I will do when I can spare the cash - maybe later this year.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #499 on: 05 Jan 2013, 13:33 »

I did something similar out back, where we leave two floodlights and the yellow porch light on through the night for safety and security.  When compact flourescent's came into use I replaced the frequently-burning out floodlights (no fixture is completely weatherproof) with cfl equivalents taking 260 watts down to 59.  And I haven't had to replace the bulbs yet...

The only downside is that, in cold weather (like now) it can take a half hour or more for them to warm up completely and cast full light.  When it's below 0 F (-17 C), they never really reach full brightness, but they get close enough! 

We have a few chandeliers however that won't accept new lightbulbs.  Well, they will, but they look like hell.  But I've been replacing damn near everything else with the cfl's for a few years now. 

Including the edison lamp from the 20's that was in the coal room when we moved in.  You had to screw/unscrew it to turn it on and off.  It had sat there, half unscrewed for about 40 years (since the gas furnace had been installed). 
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up