THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: FTL: Faster Than Light  (Read 21472 times)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
FTL: Faster Than Light
« on: 17 Oct 2012, 01:27 »

I've been playing FTL: Faster Than Light. The creators bill it as:

"FTL is a spaceship simulation roguelike-like. Its aim is to recreate the atmosphere of running a spaceship exploring the galaxy (like Firefly/Star Trek/BSG etc.) In any given episode of those classic shows, the captain is always yelling “Reroute power to shields!” or giving commands to the engineer now that their Warp Core is on fire.  We wanted that experience, as opposed to the “dog fighting in space” that most videogames focus on.  We wanted a game where we had to manage the crew, fix the engines, reroute power to shields, target the enemy life support, and then figure out how to repel the boarders that just transported over!"

It is surprisingly addictive and tense, and I haven't managed to beat it even on easy mode yet. That final boss ship is seriously tough. There are only two modes: Easy, in which you die a lot, and Normal, in which you die sooner. For $10, it is worth a look.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
Re: FTL: Faster Than Light
« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2012, 01:52 »

I thought I finally had it with the engi drone ship, but it turns out it was just the first stage of the boss fight, and the repair station was all the way across the map.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2012, 03:06 »

I really want to get this but, believe it or not, my computer is too poor to run it.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #3 on: 17 Oct 2012, 11:42 »

It sounds very cool.  I'll look it up.  I love that kind of stuff.   :-D
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #4 on: 17 Oct 2012, 12:01 »

I've been playing FTL since they gave me early non-beta access for Kickstartering it. Steam tells me I've put 85 hours into the game. It took me about 60 games to win on Easy, and then I very quickly logged two additional wins, after which I switched to Normal and after another ten games, against all odds I won with a surprisingly underpowered Engi cruiser A, thanks to being able to deploy two attack drones. I've unlocked all ships and layouts except for the secret one, which is really frikkin' hard to get.

And you're absolutely right, it can be really tense at times. I'd often be shaking in my (metaphorical) boots during very difficult fights. Although I'm a bit burned out on it by now. In my latest run I had the Rock cruiser B with a boarding crew of two rockmen, who got warped away when the enemy ship jumped because I hadn't been paying attention. Just made me want to give up, cause I was doing so well. This game is really not forgiving when you screw up.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #5 on: 17 Oct 2012, 22:24 »

I get attached to my little crew dudes, and feel bad when they die, especially when it's because I've forgotten something really stupid.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

ackblom12

« Reply #6 on: 17 Oct 2012, 22:31 »

This game is so damn good. I've beaten it a few times on East, but Normal victory still eludes me. I've also been trying my damndest to get the last 3 ships (Mantis, Rockman and Crystal) but I have only run into th eMantis ship once and I didn't have a Mantis crew member, so no dice. Haven't managed to run into the Rockman ship at all and the only time I've gotten the Crystal crew member, I was already in Sector 7 before I got him fixed.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #7 on: 17 Oct 2012, 23:09 »

You don't need to have a Mantis crewmember in order to get the Mantis cruiser. Just make sure that when you find him, don't completely destroy him.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

ackblom12

« Reply #8 on: 17 Oct 2012, 23:11 »

Well son of a bitch.

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #9 on: 18 Oct 2012, 04:24 »

I haven't managed a win on normal yet. I´ve got all the A ships except for Mantis and Crystal cruiser and some of the variants.
It is kind of unforgiving. With the more specialized ships you mostly just need to encounter one Zoltan ship with a drone in the first two sectors and you´re fucked.
I´m kind of burned out on it by now but I´m sure I´ll get back to it sometime.

What bugs me the most is the gap between easy and normal. If you haven't found proper weapons and upgrades by midgame on normal you might as well start over because the flagship is going to fuck your shit up even if you get to The Last Stand without too much trouble.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #10 on: 23 Oct 2012, 17:20 »

I got to the third fight with the final guy in my second run just now. I didn't realize I had to fight the thing more than once, so my two fighter guys died while boarding.

The setup was really sick - two lvl2 ion canons, one heavy ion canon, two fighter drones. No ship could shoot at me or have any shields after half a minute.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #11 on: 23 Oct 2012, 17:52 »

I did a run with the Mantis cruiser, and in three entire sectors I encountered exactly two manned ships and roughly eight million unmanned drones. I'd say this time the game was actively trying to screw me over.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #12 on: 28 Nov 2012, 04:06 »

FRAGHAGLAGH

I like this game, but had what I thought was a great Easy run in the Engi ship and got trounced in Flagship Part 2: Flag Harder.

Also found out in Flagship 1 that, if a crewmember in a room is trying to beat down a door when you use the teleporter to whisk him back, it won't work. It would appear the act of engaging the door possibly puts him into the next room for purposes of that game mechanic.

By the way, has anyone successfully cleared the crew out of the Flagship, in any stage? I'm wondering how that changes things, if any.

ackblom12

« Reply #13 on: 28 Nov 2012, 04:17 »

An AI takes over all functions of the ship. It does mean, however, that repairs no longer occur and bonuses from manned stations are not applied.

VonKleist

« Reply #14 on: 28 Nov 2012, 04:35 »

The Wiki says the AI is supposedly harder to beat so I only once killed them all in the third stage by accident. I was going to win anyway so it didn't make a difference.

I´ve tried to get the Mantis Cruiser but I never get the stupid encounter if I get the Mantis Homeworld at all :psyduck:

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #15 on: 28 Nov 2012, 08:12 »

It seems like destroying a turret during the first encounter makes that turret be destroyed during the second. If you have good shields and defensive capabilities, teleporting crew into the guns that are isolated will save you a lot of trouble later on.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #16 on: 28 Nov 2012, 08:49 »

That's not true, weapon systems are restored between stages. However, killing the crew in weapons stations will keep them empty for the following stages, so they can be destroyed easily.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #17 on: 29 Nov 2012, 15:06 »

From what I've been able to tell the best thing to do is kill off all the dudes but one in the flagship, that way the AI doesn't take over and it makes it much harder for the dude to repair stuff.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

VonKleist

« Reply #18 on: 30 Nov 2012, 01:08 »

Argh.. I can't play because my desktops' power-unit is probabyl toast and FTL needs minimum resolution of 1280x720 and my backup is a netbooooooook :psyduck:

Nikolai

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • H-Hello? Is this thing on?
« Reply #19 on: 03 Dec 2012, 15:19 »

I've got 46 hours logged, my record being 3-49. I ain't even mad.

Also, mods!

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #20 on: 03 Dec 2012, 18:14 »

That is one borked hotlink. Correct one is here

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #21 on: 27 Jan 2013, 11:07 »

For those who hadn't noticed, Feerless Leeder (i.e. jephbutt) has been recording playthroughs of FTL because...well why not?

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #22 on: 27 Jan 2013, 11:12 »

Welp, I've failed this assignment then.

EDIT: Jeph sounds different to what I expected, though I'm not entirely sure what that was. Hm.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #23 on: 27 Jan 2013, 11:54 »

He sounds pretty much exactly what I imagined.

However I've been imagining him as a friend of mine from Ohio that I used to hang out with before he got married and moved out to California. The similarities, in both appearance and voice, are amusing.

TheCollyWolly

• Larger than most fish
  • pressganged into service on a gnome submarine
« Reply #24 on: 27 Jan 2013, 17:11 »

So I bought it today, and motherfucker is this a tough game.

ackblom12

« Reply #25 on: 27 Jan 2013, 17:12 »

It's basically tailor made to shit all over you.

TheCollyWolly

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #26 on: 27 Jan 2013, 20:11 »

My crew just suffocated and now I'm deeply depressed

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #27 on: 28 Jan 2013, 10:23 »

I don't like buying things online. FTL is on steam. GAME sells wallet codes for Steam. My local GAME store just closed down. I didn't buy any. I am angry.

[head-desk]

TheCollyWolly

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #28 on: 28 Jan 2013, 13:16 »

Has anyone had a thing where your oxygen just starts draining for no reason at all? No leaks, doesn't matter if the doors are open or shut. the whole ship just drains, and everyone dies. It's happened three times now, once in the next-to-last sector :/

ackblom12

« Reply #29 on: 28 Jan 2013, 13:25 »

I've had it happen when the oxygen has been shut off for some reason. Usually it happens right after I've been in a nebula that shut down the power to my oxygen.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #30 on: 01 Feb 2013, 01:49 »

A related game

Pretty fun actually.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #31 on: 01 Feb 2013, 03:47 »

It's not related at all, but still really interesting!

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #32 on: 01 Feb 2013, 04:05 »

That is so cool. And it's written for Unity, so I can play around with it when it comes out. EEEEE!

ackblom12

« Reply #33 on: 01 Feb 2013, 12:27 »

Mantis Cruiser B is my absolute favorite thing ever.

Also fuck you Crystal Cruiser Quest. Fuck you so goddamn hard you fucking harlot.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #34 on: 02 Feb 2013, 07:27 »

It's not related at all, but still really interesting!

Well it had the word "light" in it...... :P

Unfortunately it's really slow on my comp, which puzzles me, because it meets all the technical requirements.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #35 on: 02 Feb 2013, 10:22 »

That was weird.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #36 on: 15 Feb 2013, 05:32 »

I've just finished a uni assignment and yesterday got rid of a huge project at work. Bought this as a reward. Let's see how well I fail.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #37 on: 19 May 2013, 12:18 »

Played another few games of this since a friend of mine bought it as well. I did pretty well this time with the Osprey. I got the No Redshirts Here achievement for Normal as well as the Slice and Dice achievement and defeated two stages of the flagship, but by that time there were no repair nodes remaining and I was too beat up to be able to fight any more. Still, reached second place in my Osprey high score list.

Also, before that I did a run with Red-Tail. I fill it with a full complement of crew. I install a teleporter for the mantis and rockman to use. Uselessly, since I proceed to be torn apart by three consecutive auto-assault ships. AARGH

I also remembered I had to eat...

Schmee

• ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #38 on: 15 Sep 2013, 19:31 »

Got FTL on friday, unlocked the Engi ship, Zoltan ship, and both layouts of the Confederate Cruiser by Sunday. Oh jeez.
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #39 on: 15 Sep 2013, 20:30 »

Got given a steam code for FTL as a late birthday present :)

I'll let live yall know when I get a chance to play.

SageJiraiya

• Furry furrier
  • My username is from some cartoon or something...
« Reply #40 on: 28 Nov 2013, 20:23 »

I just finally got this game.
Actually, I bought it during a humble bundle but have only just started playing it.
I suck at it even on easy difficulty.
But, it's stills heaps of fun.
Do recommend.
Cogito Ergo Sum, Amigo.

Schmee

• ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #41 on: 28 Nov 2013, 21:23 »

I've unlocked every ship except the crystal one, and beat the game on normal with most of them. Here are hints:
 - In the options, enable "show beacon paths on hover". Planning your jumps will be much easier.
 - Pause. Pause often. Just check over your ship once in a while, to make sure that you aren't on fire or suffocating or anything.
 - Hold control while aiming to toggle autofire on a per-weapon basis. Keep ion weapons on autofire, but wait for everything else to charge and fire it off all at once. Burst lasers first, then heavy lasers and hull lasers a second later, then once the shields drop fire the beams.
 - Speaking of beams, be careful where you aim them. Most beams do damage per room, and its possible to hit at least 5 rooms on almost every ship with a single Halberd beam. However, the Anti-Bio and Fire beams count each floor tile as a hit, so keep that in mind when firing them.
 - If you want to repair a hull breach, open all doors connecting to the breached room. The oxygen will spread into the room, giving you more time to repair it.
 - Oxygen is a privilege, not a right. Feel free to disable it if you need an extra power bar temporarily, but remember to turn it on again later.
 - Ion bombs and Burst Laser IIs are OP as hell. With a two-star weapons officer, ion bombs will permanently drop the enemy shields by 2 layers, for only one power.
 - Defence drones can shoot down boarding drones. This makes phase 2 of the boss a LOT easier.
 - Speaking of the boss, here's a good strategy:
(click to show/hide)
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #42 on: 06 Dec 2013, 06:23 »

Bleh I get so frustrated with this game.  Got like 8 crew yesterday, so bought a transporter, then promptly killed half my crew while they were across.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #43 on: 07 Dec 2013, 13:58 »

Let me guess: Accidentally blew up the enemy ship?

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #44 on: 07 Dec 2013, 17:36 »

ayup....  :x

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #45 on: 08 Dec 2013, 12:30 »

I've done that.

I've also suffocated someone because I sent them onto a drone ship.

I've also ran away and forgot to get my person back.

I've also had the enemy run away with my people still on board.

I'm...not so good at this game sometimes.

Nikolai

• H-Hello? Is this thing on?
« Reply #46 on: 02 Jan 2014, 08:37 »

FTL Advanced Edition announced for sometime this year.

Schmee

• ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #47 on: 02 Jan 2014, 16:52 »

The Lanius automatically and uncontrollably suck oxygen out of any space they inhabit.
Oh, wonderful.

It's also coming out on iPad.
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #48 on: 02 Jan 2014, 16:58 »

Sounds like my boarding crew is going to get changed up a bit. That has eeenteresting offensive implications.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #49 on: 02 Jan 2014, 17:57 »

What bugs me is that it's a logical impossibility. Why do they lower the oxygen level in the room when they don't breathe it, while other species don't lower the oxygen level in a room and they do breathe it? If there's some sort of chemical reaction going on when their body comes into contact with oxygen, such a massive amount of oxidation should be incredibly damaging, but they don't lose any health from coming into contact with oxygen. Call it a nitpick, but the rest of the game was logically consistent (by sci-fi standards) so I really expected better of them.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up