THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 22:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The record player/vinyl thread  (Read 12319 times)

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
  • Liev Schreiber scares me
    • myspace!
The record player/vinyl thread
« on: 20 Oct 2012, 06:34 »

So today I got this beauty at the record store just round the corner from my house.

I absolutely love it, it's been completely restored inside and sounds amazing. The best thing the restorer sells it with a years guarantee. All for £75, which I think is a bargain. Also it's got an automatic function that automatically plays a stack of up to 8 records at a time.

I haven't got a very big collection of records yet, and what I have is fairly random. Dr. Feelgood's Casebook, The Velvet Underground's Andy Warhol, and In Flight by Amusement Parks On Fire. I've got a few 7" singles too.

So show off your record players, whether they're new or vintage, and talk about your favourite records.
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
Re: The record player/vinyl thread
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2012, 09:35 »

I´ve got the standard sony belt-thingy that I got off my neighbour one time.

I used to listen to my dad's records a lot when I still lived at home. He has a lot of prog-rocky, jazzy stuff.. Emerson, Lake & Palmer, a lot of Keith Jarrett, Chick Corea and my favorite Bo Hansson :)
I used it to sample too when I still made the occasional beat.

In fact, then I had a record player my dad had built from some kit.
The blue thing on top here:

I´ve got it set up now but I rarely listen to records.. just, you know, for special occasions and so on. Also records are damn expensive if you are too lazy to really dig and search for stuff.

btw your new record player kicks ass!
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2012, 09:43 by VonKleist »

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
  • Liev Schreiber scares me
    • myspace!
« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2012, 11:14 »

Vonkliest, that home build record player is amazing! My city has tons of charity shops, record stores and vintage fairs, and the church hall just up the road from me has a record fair every other week, so I'm lucky in that I have access to loads of cheap vintage vinyl. I got all these for just over a fiver the other day!

Lots of 80's stuff. The top is Uptown Top Rankin by Althia and Donna.
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2012, 11:59 »

I have the exact same one.

Thirding having that Sony player. I quite like it, though mine's starting to accumulate label/street art stickers:

I've also got a pair of Sony speakers, and a little 40w power amp. Bought it all as a set from Amazon a few years ago.

As for records, I've got somewhere around 250. Mostly punk rock, and I try to get colored vinyl as much as possible. I've started cataloging some of it on Facebook, check it out if you'd like. A good chunk of my collection (at least, the older stuff) was acquired last spring. Our local college's radio station was selling off all their vinyl to raise funds for new digital gear, and I snagged probably 35-40 records for under $25.

« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2012, 12:09 by valley_parade »
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2012, 12:24 »

Read about it here (scroll down for more).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2012, 14:55 »

Go on Amazon, there's an Audio Technica stylus that fits it. I believe it's the AT3600L? Like $12.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

fivegallery

• Not quite a lurker
  • Mostly harmless.
« Reply #6 on: 23 Nov 2012, 10:54 »

I've just got teh cheap audio-technica at-lp60 (I think), but I'm always really surprised at how good it sounds! However, I should probably upgrade pretty soon, seeing as I've got about 30-40ish albums now. Any recommendations that won't wreak financial havoc on me?

Anyone else surprised at how many small-time modern bands still get vinyl pressed to please the hipsters?
I love it.
Drumming is like counting with your whole body!

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #7 on: 06 Aug 2013, 12:02 »

(I hope this kind of necro-ing is allowed…)

This is my turntable. I bought it from ebay for 67€. It's a Dual CS 505-4. Dual is a well known name here in Germany, they were one of the most famous German turntable producers. The company still exists, and the CS 505-4, which was introduced in the 80s, is a model they're still producing with only a few changes. The modern 505-4's are being sold new for a price of 550€ so I think I got a good deal. One of the most notable changes in the new ones is that they're using a cheaper cartridge. While I have one of the older ones which still come with a Dual ULM 68E, which is identical to the Ortofon OMB 20, the newer ones come with a Ortofon OMB 10. I ordered a new needle for the cartridge, but even with the old needle it sounds great.

But of course:
(click to show/hide)
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

thedavo

• Plantmonster
« Reply #8 on: 25 Oct 2013, 12:07 »

Scottish loveliness, bought second hand 5 years ago:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bz6djctimplssrp/2013-10-25%2020.01.35.jpg
Pages: [1]   Go Up