Advanced search  

Poll

Where did Emily go?

To her house.
To her parents house.
To the internet!
To a game store.
To a Game Stop.
To a new character, because there aren't enough already.
To Capcom headquarters.
To Marten
To the batmobile.
To the barricades.
To the moon.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2430-2434 (22-26 April, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 82641 times)

aldonius

• Not quite a lurker

Now that it's been brought up again, I'm curious to hear it, especially Hanners' prime-number progression against a straight 7/4. Anyone with, say, GarageBand able to create it? My choir last December performed a short piece alternating 4/4 and 5/4, short enough that it was easier for most of us amateurs to memorize than to count.

GarageBand doesn't really support multiple time sigs (or key changes) but I faked it anyway:

[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/alex-jago/hanners-prime-prog[/soundcloud]

edit2: still not visible to me. http://soundcloud.com/alex-jago/hanners-prime-prog
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2013, 02:33 by aldonius »

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

What I'm getting from your descriptions is that you have no clear idea what to listen for. It's not the rhythm of the notes that gives you the beat, it's the rhythm of the emphases on tho notes... and they aren't always emphasized in every measure. It sounds like you've never performed any music yourself, at least not in any setting that requires you to follow a conductor. I recommend you learn to play an instrument in an orchestra or brass band, or sing in a choir, or even just take a ballrom dancing class. Anything that requires you to DO something in rhythm with music should work.

This is a song we used to sing when I was a school boy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRYQPq_iT3w
I have later heard that the last line in each stanza has a rythm different from the rest of the song. I did not notice any difference back then, and i still can't hear it.

I have tried to learn an instrument. As a child I was learning the recorder. But then I got injured, and was away from school for several months. When I came back, there was no question of me keeping up with the rest of the class, so I was put in a class that consisted of an uncomfortable mix of kids who where far ahead of me and rank beginners. I gave up after a few weeks.

As for doing something with rythm, let me tell you just one episode. Needing som exercise, I took some gymnastics in night school. The instructor showed us how to walk back and forth and clap our hands. We then did it all together a couple of times. Then we stopped, and he started some music. I did just as we had rehearsed. The other did the same, only about 50% faster. It seems obvious to me that it must have been the music that told them the tempo. Just how I have no idea.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

If you need a song with well distinguishable rhythm: Listen to Money by Pink Floyd. 7/4, if I recall correctly.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Sounds like it, yeah.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

This is a song we used to sing when I was a school boy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRYQPq_iT3w
I have later heard that the last line in each stanza has a rythm different from the rest of the song. I did not notice any difference back then, and i still can't hear it.

I have tried to learn an instrument. As a child I was learning the recorder. But then I got injured, and was away from school for several months. When I came back, there was no question of me keeping up with the rest of the class, so I was put in a class that consisted of an uncomfortable mix of kids who where far ahead of me and rank beginners. I gave up after a few weeks.

As for doing something with rythm, let me tell you just one episode. Needing som exercise, I took some gymnastics in night school. The instructor showed us how to walk back and forth and clap our hands. We then did it all together a couple of times. Then we stopped, and he started some music. I did just as we had rehearsed. The other did the same, only about 50% faster. It seems obvious to me that it must have been the music that told them the tempo. Just how I have no idea.

Aha. Okay, then it sounds like you've tried all you can. I guess you genuinely have no sense of rhythm. My sympathies.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up