THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Star Wars 7 coming in 2015  (Read 85810 times)

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
Star Wars 7 coming in 2015
« on: 01 Nov 2012, 16:04 »

So there's been a lot of news lately.

One tiny particle of that news has been about George Lucas selling Lucasfilm to Disney for just over $4 billion.

Disney have said that feature films will most definitely be a part of their taking-over of Lucasfilm (and expect Indiana Jones at some point, I guess) and that a "new feature film" will be released in 2015. Whether this will be entitled "Episode VII" is another story. Lucas is staying on as creative consultant, but I suppose the exciting part is that if a decent director is brought in, this new movie (and supposedly, new trilogy) could be brilliant. Out of Lucas's hands, it might be more cohesive than the last trilogy that was released. (Personally, II & III were brilliant, I is getting more annoying to watch as I age, and Hayden Christensen is a terrible, terrible actor)

Essentially, Disney seemed to have let their various money-making factions that they've aquired over the years a lot of independence. Marvel have had their ups and downs, but its been ups since Iron Man came out. Then there's the Pixar thing, with Cars, Toy Story, all that. Very successful. Avengers just pulled in record figures. Its a good time to be a part of that, I think. Disney are obviously a corporation after franchises that they can milk forever more, and while I hate that Star Wars is going to be involved in that, I also love it. It needs a good vision from someone who isn't also writing and directing the thing, surrounded by yes men. A fresh vision could 'reboot' Star Wars in a very good way.

Also, they're talking TV series and a hell of a lot of other stuff. I'm quite excited, but the buyout in general has been interesting, although rather inevitable when you think about it.

I also have no idea where the plot will go for a new film, or who will be in it. I hope that the guys in charge have the clairvoyance to NOT get all the old actors in (Harrison Ford is NEVER coming back), and just do something new. Lots of Expanded Universe stuff to draw from but stuff like the Thrawn or Jedi Academy trilogy rely far too much on Luke Skywalker being the new self-appointed head of the New Jedi Order.

Anyway, geeking out here.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper
Re: Star Wars 7 coming in 2015
« Reply #1 on: 01 Nov 2012, 20:06 »

I could see Harrison Ford doing a cameo (as a different character than his signature ones) in either Indy or SW.

And I think the whole concept of Disney-Star Wars is good, because you're right, they do give a lot of creative control. The current co-president of Lucasfilm, Kathleen Kennedy, is staying on as President of the newly acquired division, and is in charge of Brand Management of the Star Wars franchise. Disney's smart enough to know not to piss off millions of die-hard Star Wars fanatics.

tl;dr: Me gusta.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 01 Nov 2012, 22:29 »

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3 on: 01 Nov 2012, 23:26 »

Are those good dots or bad dots? Or do you not like Star Wars? (I feel sorry for you if that's the case)
Worry Hat, Engage!

ackblom12

« Reply #4 on: 02 Nov 2012, 02:14 »

I have no problems with this for two reasons:

1. Disney won't ruin Star Wars. Star Wars was ruined years ago. Since I haven't had any hope of interesting Star Wars related media for 10 years or so, this hurts me none at all. Also, nothing they do will harm the original trilogy, which leads into...

2. I guarantee you the original theatrical release of Episodes IV - VI will get released on Blu-Ray because Disney loves money.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #5 on: 02 Nov 2012, 04:57 »

Whatever they do, it can't be worse than the prequel trilogy. It just can't.

Also I am baffled by someone saying they liked the second one.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #6 on: 02 Nov 2012, 06:17 »

2. I guarantee you the original theatrical release of Episodes IV - VI will get released on Blu-Ray because Disney loves money.

I want this to happen so bad. I hate that the only version of the original trilogy I have is what my mom and I taped off of the television, so it's really crappy quality VHS. And apparently missing a few scenes, which I didn't notice until recently. I hate the ones with the added special effects because they look so out of place and I would prefer a few plot holes or whatever to an interrupt in the flow of the movie.

As for the prequels, I liked Liam Neeson as a jedi, I liked Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan, and I liked most of the third movie (if not all of the acting, but definitely the plot). Also they were pretty and Natalie Portman had some really cool costumes. And...that's about as much as I liked.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #7 on: 02 Nov 2012, 06:41 »

"Love can't save you...only my new powers can do that!" He sounds like a satisfied customer on a Billy Mays Sith-powers infomercial.

I just hope that Disney doesn't pull their "Vault" crap with Star Wars...that kind of thinking only increases piracy, and keeps me from getting the quality goods I want.
Worry Hat, Engage!

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #8 on: 02 Nov 2012, 06:59 »

Should this really be in a subforum labelled 'enjoy'?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

ackblom12

« Reply #9 on: 02 Nov 2012, 07:09 »

Well, it's out of Lucas's hands, so probably.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #10 on: 02 Nov 2012, 07:12 »

I didn't like Episodes I-III, but I did enjoy watching them. At least at one point. And only if I skip over the parts with Jar-Jar.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #11 on: 02 Nov 2012, 11:39 »

You didn't like Jar-Jar? Try this, it may be enough to redeem him.

Who am I kidding, nothing will ever be enough. You should still read it though.

Of course, if you don't want to see the obnoxious version of R2-D2...read it anyway.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

drmike

• Emoticontraindication
  • My Seedbox Can Beat Up Your Seedbox
    • Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner
« Reply #12 on: 02 Nov 2012, 15:37 »

Gives new meaning to the term "Give in to the Dark Side...."

Just to mention, I'm making fun of all the dark evil rumors that have been attached to Disney over the years.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 02 Nov 2012, 19:09 »

I have no problems with Star Wars per say

But Darth Goofy???!!!
James The Kugai 

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #14 on: 02 Nov 2012, 19:11 »

Never did see III, and I have trouble calling them I, II and III since that's what I still call IV, V and VI. 

However, I'm intrigued by the fact that all the protagonists from the original trilogy (however you number it) are old enough to play themselves in episode VII. 

General Solo?  Queen Leia?  Jedi Luke?  I'm in...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #15 on: 02 Nov 2012, 20:12 »

Given that most applicable actors did play the same characters in the new trilogy (Kenny Baker as R2D2, Anthony Daniels as C-3PO, Frank Oz as Yoda, Ian McDermid as Palpatine/Sidious, and Peter Mayhew as Chewbacca...I met him once, he is AWESOME!), I see no reason they can't continue the trend. Maybe Mark Hamill can earn some decent income again. And I think Harrison Ford would be nuts not to redeem himself after the atrocity that was Indy IV.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Lupercal

« Reply #16 on: 03 Nov 2012, 11:42 »

True. Although Lucas likes a bit of dolla himself, hence Episode I re-released in 3D this year.

Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan

This is why I say I like the prequels. Ewan is the sole redeeming factor of them, really. Which is why I do actually like II, although again, as I get older I can't help but see Jango Fett as a character there for fan service, that apparently fans hated anyway. (I don't think I've ever met anyone from the elusive die-hard fanbase, myself)

As for the old guys coming back - why? I think it would seem too much like they're trying to play a new film too close to the original trilogy. Saying that, Neemoy in Star Trek was pretty cool. But they had the ability to play with the idea of time travel, something we don't see in Star Wars. Maybe some cameos would suit, but I don't really trust anyone else in the franchise coming back. Seeing C3PO doing stupid crap in the prequels (II, again) was enough for me to hate the idea of dragging certain characters through movie after movie. I think they need a clean break with the next one, but we'll see.

Another reason to be excited: you may be able to play some decent Star Wars videogames again. I've believed for some time that the golden age has passed for SW videogames, and for LucasArts (as a 10 year old I fondly remember Racer, Rouge Squadron and the later Battlefront and Jedi Knight stuff, X-Wing, Republic Commando, etc). Lately its all been Clone Wars this, Kinect that. Force Unleashed II was apparently a rushed mess, and the third instalment was cancelled. I hope next years 1313 is the turning point.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #17 on: 04 Nov 2012, 09:38 »

Considering Mark Hamill is retiring from voicing the Joker (which is almost as memorable as him being Luke, especially to younger generations), I don't see him coming back for a Star Wars movie. Carrie Fisher might do it for the lols and Harrison Ford may or may not want to. But I don't think they should be the main focus. If they wanted to do it about Leia's and Han's children, then yeah, a cameo would totally work.

drmike

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #18 on: 04 Nov 2012, 10:13 »

Considering Mark Hamill is retiring from voicing the Joker

He's still acting as well as doing voice work since then.  He's going to do voices in the How to Train Your Dragon spin off:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragons:_Riders_of_Berk

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #19 on: 04 Nov 2012, 10:25 »

Considering Mark Hamill is retiring from voicing the Joker

WAT. I was not aware he was behind that mask...wow, I didn't recognize that voice at all. New-found respect (again) for Mr. Hamill.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #20 on: 04 Nov 2012, 11:00 »

I was thinking more along the lines of cameos.  It should be "the next generation", to borrow a phrase...

Although I don't think we'll lose the droids - I seem to recall somewhere that the entire originally planned 9-film epic was to be from their point of view (with gaps filled in, of course).  They're the only characters that could span the appropriate time period. 

ackblom12

« Reply #21 on: 04 Nov 2012, 11:01 »

Oh yeah, also I'm sure we can all be happy that Lucas is giving the $4 billion from this sale to starting an educational charity.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #22 on: 04 Nov 2012, 13:39 »

I was thinking more along the lines of cameos.  It should be "the next generation", to borrow a phrase...

Although I don't think we'll lose the droids - I seem to recall somewhere that the entire originally planned 9-film epic was to be from their point of view (with gaps filled in, of course).  They're the only characters that could span the appropriate time period.

Given that it was C-3PO that told the entire story to the Ewoks in ROTJ, I'd say that was a good guess.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #23 on: 04 Nov 2012, 14:50 »

Oh yeah, also I'm sure we can all be happy that Lucas is giving the $4 billion from this sale to starting an educational charity.

Absolutely. Honestly, I've decided to just stop criticizing the prequels because there is absolutely nothing he has done that could sour the goodwill that builds up for me. $4 billion is a huge amount to give to charity, credit to the guy. Make as many shitty films as you want, fella.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #24 on: 05 Nov 2012, 06:37 »

Uh, yes. Very much so. More people with money need to do this.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #25 on: 05 Nov 2012, 09:31 »

Edutopia is Lucas' own foundation... but it is doing some really good work. 

drmike

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #26 on: 05 Nov 2012, 14:19 »

You realize that if they really want to milk this....

Howard the Duck Part 2 may be coming.

ackblom12

« Reply #27 on: 05 Nov 2012, 14:22 »

If they really wanna milk it and try and get us Grim Fandango 2 and/or Full Throttle 2, I'm ok with this.

Lupercal

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #29 on: 06 Nov 2012, 15:04 »

So he's happy about the movie and excited to work with the others, but found Solo boring? That's...I don't even know. I'm confused. Also kind of sad, because Han Solo is a fun character. :-(

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #30 on: 10 Nov 2012, 12:38 »

Seeing as how Lucas doesn't consider the EU to be canon to the Star Wars story, the new movies could either be very good (if they somehow recreate the success of PotC (looking solely at 1 and 2) in the new movies) or very, very bad.  Either way, I will remain ambivalent about this until more details are known.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Zappit

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #31 on: 10 Nov 2012, 16:24 »

Disney is also rumored to be in talks to buy Hasbro. New movies, Hasbro acquisition?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #32 on: 11 Nov 2012, 03:41 »

Nah, those rumours were already discredited. It wouldn't make sense for Disney to blow multiple billions of dollars on studio acquisitions all at the same time.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #33 on: 11 Nov 2012, 17:18 »

It wouldn't make sense for Disney to blow multiple billions of dollars on studio acquisitions all at the same time.

But it would be so Disney of them.
Worry Hat, Engage!

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #34 on: 11 Nov 2012, 17:22 »

I'm just happy that there is going to be more star wars.  If they're that terrible we can just ignore them right?

right?

guys...
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #35 on: 11 Nov 2012, 18:02 »

That's right. Just like everyone [tried to] ignore the 2nd and 3rd Matrix movies...
Worry Hat, Engage!

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #36 on: 11 Nov 2012, 19:08 »

Nice try but I know they stopped after the first Matrix movie.  The second and third movies are just wives tales used to trick little children into not ruining great movies with bad sequels

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #37 on: 12 Nov 2012, 15:53 »

I...I totally fell for both of them! Those wicked old ladies...
Worry Hat, Engage!

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #38 on: 12 Nov 2012, 20:47 »

Take the blue pill, take the blue pill!!!!
James The Kugai 

Lupercal

« Reply #39 on: 13 Nov 2012, 13:05 »

I had to take a variety of pills to get me through Revolutions

As for aquiring Hasbro - why, when Transformers 4 is going to be so successful now that Hugo Weaving said he didn't give a shit about voicing Megatron and Mark Wahlberg is going to be the new Shia LeBouf!

Now THAT is a sequel trilogy that nobody really does give a shit about.

Seeing as how Lucas doesn't consider the EU to be canon to the Star Wars story, the new movies could either be very good (if they somehow recreate the success of PotC (looking solely at 1 and 2) in the new movies) or very, very bad.  Either way, I will remain ambivalent about this until more details are known.

Re-watched PotC recently and thought it was God-awful (yes, #1). So, unfortunately I'm not so much for Disney making THOSE kinds of films with Star Wars, but it now frightens me that they could.
The weird thing is, Lucas engaged a lot of those authors. Kevin J Anderson was asked by Lucas to write the post-ROTJ novels. He's had involvement pretty much every step of the way, and I suppose he doesn't consider it 'cannon' because you can do a hell of a lot more in a cheap paperback than you can in a £300million movie. Story wise, at least.

You have to think, how bad can Star Wars really be? If Phantom Menace is as bad as it gets, then its smooth sailing from here. Another thing that frightens me slightly is getting Luke back to be the new Obi-Wan. That could go pretty badly. I was sort of excited for a new trilogy that doesn't dwell too much on fan-service but maybe that's just too difficult in a franchise so embedded in our culture?

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #40 on: 13 Nov 2012, 20:51 »

How bad could it get?

Howabout Star Wars meets The Black Hole
James The Kugai 

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #41 on: 13 Nov 2012, 23:54 »

Didn't it already?  The black hole of Uncle Walt...

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #42 on: 14 Nov 2012, 06:34 »

The MOVIE, Carl.  :roll:
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Zappit

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #43 on: 15 Nov 2012, 18:40 »

They're planning on bringing Vader back. After getting roasted by Palpatine, will he be double robot? Rest conning that whole force ghost of Anakin might be tricky, though.

I will admit, if they show Vader in more elaborate light saber fights, as a flash of black armor, that would make it worth it. Vader's supposed to be the biggest badass in the universe, but in the original trilogy, the costume limited movement too much, as his fighting was stiff. Those limitations don't really apply anymore with the technology available now.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #44 on: 15 Nov 2012, 20:00 »

I wouldn't mind some new Vader fight scenes, but it would have to be in a flashback, right? I mean...he died. Fo realz, yo.
Worry Hat, Engage!

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #45 on: 15 Nov 2012, 20:27 »

Vader! Oh the things they could do with him and modern movie magic

TheEvilDog

« Reply #46 on: 16 Nov 2012, 12:06 »

They're planning on bringing Vader back. After getting roasted by Palpatine, will he be double robot? Retconning that whole force ghost of Anakin might be tricky, though.

I will admit, if they show Vader in more elaborate light saber fights, as a flash of black armor, that would make it worth it. Vader's supposed to be the biggest badass in the universe, but in the original trilogy, the costume limited movement too much, as his fighting was stiff. Those limitations don't really apply anymore with the technology available now.

Bear in mind as well that Darth Vader lost three limbs, was horribly burnt in the fight with Obi Wan and locked into what was essentially a life support machine, pumped up to the midiclorians with painkillers. I doubt anyone would be that great a fighter after that.

ackblom12

« Reply #47 on: 16 Nov 2012, 12:15 »

Actually, I think the RedLetterMedia review of Phantom Menace explains very well why the shitty old lightsaber duels were better in every possible way.

In fact, here is the proper video that includes the critique. The section on the lightsaber fights start at around the 6:00 mark

« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2012, 12:30 by ackblom12 »

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #48 on: 17 Nov 2012, 09:17 »

Well said, by George! 

Lupercal

« Reply #49 on: 20 Nov 2012, 15:07 »

I love the RLM reviews. They may ruin the movie for your but by gum, they're pretty bang on.

"What's wrong with your faaace?"

As for Vader returning - yeah, although the first time he was left near a volcano, this time he was actually burnt in a pyre. There is probably no coming back as deadly force ash (unless you're going to be invisible and ground all flights off of Endor, lololol). Plus, a lot of his schematics must've been blown up in both Death Stars and the Super Star Destroyer (which, as it happens, also crashes into the Death Star).
He might be considered an "integral" part of the franchise, I also consider him a "dead" part of the franchise.

Every time I hear about a new Star Wars article something else crazy is happening. Welcome to the next three years, everyone.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up