THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Star Wars 7 coming in 2015  (Read 85824 times)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
Re: Star Wars 7 coming in 2015
« Reply #100 on: 16 Aug 2013, 12:59 »

When the ship lifts, all debts are paid.

Old Spacers saying.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #101 on: 05 Sep 2013, 14:53 »

Star Wars cast, 1978. 37 years later, how many of these guys will return?

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #102 on: 05 Sep 2013, 15:13 »

Harrison's said he'd be back I think.

Oh, and I get a 'This Video Does Not Exist' on that one LeeC.
James The Kugai 

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #103 on: 05 Sep 2013, 15:22 »

looks like conan obrien took it down.  They interviewed Harrison Ford and he bribed Mr. Ford with 1 thousand real dollars to say a little something about the new star wars movie.  Harrison takes the money, pockets it and says "a long time ago, in a place far far away." and thats it.  was funny
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

TheEvilDog

« Reply #104 on: 05 Sep 2013, 15:26 »

So apparently Eggs Benedict Cummerbund will be announced to have a key role in the film, well, in the next couple of days.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #105 on: 05 Sep 2013, 15:31 »

Tarkin's bastard?
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Lupercal

« Reply #106 on: 07 Sep 2013, 03:18 »

Seems like Tarkin froze sperm all over the galaxy...

They could easily make Cumberbatch a Thrawn-esque character. They'll draw on EU Imperial big-wigs and combine it all into one ultimate antithesis.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #107 on: 07 Sep 2013, 03:44 »

Y'know, having read some of the pre-Manikin Skywalker EU books, Cumberbatch as Thrawn is an Excellent call.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

Lupercal

« Reply #109 on: 19 Sep 2013, 15:19 »

Hmm. I took a look over theforce.net forums today and there seems to be some interesting information over there - mainly that EU cannon might be salvaged if the events of Episode VII take place in a realistic time frame (ie, follow real time), which would mean that Episode VII takes place at 45 ABY, a rather sparse time for the EU. Now, given the tight reign Lucas had on what time line was available for SW-EU authors, it suggests either authors couldn't be bothered to wander in to an unestablished time frame, or that 45 ABY was being kept for something else. Namely, the next generation of Skywalkers.

Also, Troy Denning's EU novel "The Crucible", published in July this year, is another interesting point.

Denning says he's doing a novel about a year after Apocalypse ends. It stars the Big Three, and starts in a cantina, "and yes, Han shoots first." It'll be set in a new part of the galaxy, that's new to readers. Lando is involved, no grandkids."

Cover art gives a fairly realist glimpse of the three in costume:

So, this seems to set a precedent for a film if they are choosing not to trample and retcon most of the EU stuff. Hell, even the first EU novel, "Splinter in the Mind's Eye", is non-canonical due to the fact it was actually written as a template for a low-budget sequel if Star Wars had bombed. Lots of inaccuracies. Anyway, the speculation continues. We're not hearing anything new, and I don't think any casting decisions, asides from the "big three", will be coming this side of Christmas.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #110 on: 19 Sep 2013, 16:37 »

I remember reading Splinter Of The Minds Eye many years back, plus a couple of the Han Solo novels.  I found Splinter an interesting read, especially as when I ran across it, I had just seen Empire and Jedi along with Star Wars at a triple feature.
James The Kugai 

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #111 on: 19 Sep 2013, 17:05 »

In better news, that Seth Green Star Wars cartoon called Detours has 39 episodes, but they are holding on to each and every one of them. Hopefully they never see the light of day.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #112 on: 19 Sep 2013, 17:16 »

Gonna make it disappear like the Holiday Special huh?     ;D      :angel:
James The Kugai 

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
James The Kugai 

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #114 on: 19 Sep 2013, 19:44 »

The "Only sith deal in absolutes" line always makes me cringe.
(click to show/hide)

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #115 on: 20 Sep 2013, 06:38 »

Isn't "only Sith deal in absolutes" an absolute itself?

(That sentence feels really clunky)
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #116 on: 20 Sep 2013, 10:53 »

exactly.  A lot of the dialogue is in the prequels.  Some int he original two but not as obvious.

Lupercal

« Reply #117 on: 26 Sep 2013, 13:36 »

Gonna make it disappear like the Holiday Special huh?     ;D      :angel:

Lupercal

« Reply #118 on: 26 Sep 2013, 13:37 »

(been waiting fucking ages to use a good star wars gif. You guys need to say stuff that's a lot more concerning/troubling!)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #119 on: 06 Nov 2013, 16:53 »

Star Wars sequel: Open auditions to be held in UK

Open auditions are being planned for two lead roles in the next Star Wars film, the BBC has learned.

The casting sessions for Star Wars: Episode VII will start later this week at locations around the UK and Ireland, including London, Dublin and Glasgow.

According to a casting notice the film-makers are looking to fill two roles.

They are a "street smart and strong" orphaned girl in her late teens and a "smart capable" man in his late teens or early 20s.

The open auditions for a "major Hollywood Movie" were first published on the twitter account @UKopencall, which announced a "nationwide search for lead roles for a Disney movie".  Disney bought Lucasfilm, the production company behind the Star Wars series, in October 2012.

Leaked descriptions

Lucasfilm declined to comment to the BBC but it seems likely that the characters have been given non sci-fi names and descriptions in the announcement in an effort to disguise that the auditions are for Star Wars: Episode VII.

The broad nature of the characters is almost the same as in descriptions leaked online earlier in the year when the overall casting process began.

While it is unprecedented for lead parts in a franchise of this size to hold open auditions in this way, Star Wars has in the past given major roles to little known actors and actresses through the traditional casting process, dating back to the original trilogy when the then unknown Mark Hamill won the role of Luke Skywalker.

Other movies have successfully cast secondary actors and actresses through open auditions in the past most notably some of the later Harry Potter films.

And actress Dakota Blue Richards won the lead role of Lyra in The Golden Compass, the film adaptation of Philip Pullman's Northern Lights, through open casting.

Director JJ Abrams, who is also co-scripting the movie, will not be attending the open auditions which begin in Bristol on 9 November.  Instead those at the auditions, who must be over the age of 16 for the female role, and over 18 for the male role, will briefly meet members of the casting team of the film.

Star Wars: Episode VII is scheduled to begin shooting at Pinewood Studios in spring 2014, for an expected 2015 release.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24828750

I have a bad feeling about this...
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Lupercal

« Reply #120 on: 10 Nov 2013, 03:53 »

Honing in on the Hunger Games audience?

I know Star Wars is full of "young people", technically. At least both trilogies started off with some fairly young people. Wasn't Obi Wan supposed to be about 25 in Episode 1? And Princess Leia and Luke are obviously younglings too. I hope that "late teens" doesn't mean getting what amount to be Jennifer Lawrence lookalikes.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Lupercal

« Reply #122 on: 23 Jan 2014, 14:52 »

Also rumours floating around today that Pixar are handling some Star Wars spinoff. Not even pretending to understand what that actually means.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #123 on: 29 Apr 2014, 14:37 »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #124 on: 29 Apr 2014, 14:58 »

Looking oddly monogender ja?

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #125 on: 29 Apr 2014, 15:02 »

Who knows, there is obviously another row of people behind them.  Then again the OT did have a mostly male cast.  Would be cool to see some more female protagonists outside of the "diplomat" character. Granted Princess Leia is a badass, first 10 seconds of her on screen and she straight up kills a dude.

« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2014, 15:18 by LeeC »

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #126 on: 29 Apr 2014, 16:01 »

And she could totally be a Jedi in the new movie. I can't imagine Luke didn't want to train her.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #127 on: 29 Apr 2014, 16:04 »

Still regretful Abrams is the director.

And Luke didn't want to train her who? It's not like we know who the characters are yet.

http://io9.com/hey-star-wars-where-the-hell-are-the-women-1569357077

One thing I will take issue with the is the claim that Star Wars is close to a Universal Story. This is incorrect. It IS a universal story, because Lucas wrote it with a copy of "A Hero With A Thousand Faces" and John Campbell's other myth analysis books and monomyth theory papers close at hand. Star Wars resonates because it IS our heroic mythic legends of days gone by from the Epic of Gilgamesh to the story of Sigurd the Volsung... and that one you might have heard about some hippy from Judea, in it's structure

Another point of divergence. I'm still pissed about the lack of potential for noted incredible bad ass Mara Jade in the forthcoming sequels. Scarlett Johansson could have played the part and she barely would have had to change her costume from Black Widow, just go over to the bad guys and start fucking people up. Possibly with a lightsaber if they wanted to level her up to that early.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #128 on: 29 Apr 2014, 16:23 »

I didn't think I could get excited for Star Wars again.

That photo has proved me wrong.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #129 on: 29 Apr 2014, 16:31 »

We shall see.
James The Kugai 

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #130 on: 29 Apr 2014, 16:32 »

I will probably cry with joy like a tiny little girl the second Mark Hamill comes onscreen, though.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #131 on: 29 Apr 2014, 18:57 »

Luke would train Leia to be a Jedi. Sorry, I thought it was clear enough from context. It's established that the Force is strong in her as of Return of the Jedi, so it's still canon. Unless for some strange reason they decide to go down the route that Luke is just going to let the Jedi Order die off, he's going to have to train people. Who better to start with than his own sister?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #132 on: 30 Apr 2014, 01:24 »

Yeaaaah. I wasn't even thinking about Carrier Fisher as a possibility for that. I figured most of the "original" cast would just be a couple cameos to tickle the joy bits of the fan boys and fan girls.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #133 on: 30 Apr 2014, 07:04 »

I still don't think they will be doing any kind of acrobatic fight scenes. If any do happen, I expect there to be a lot of long shots and CGI involved. And stunt doubles. They are kinda old to be swinging across bottomless pits. And besides, it doesn't mean she would be trained as a Jedi Warrior like Luke was. As a diplomat, noble and ambassador I could see her following the path of the Counselor. Still kick ass, but less in the 'flip out and slice you up with a lightsaber' way.

I expected that the trio would just show up in the beginning and maybe the end as a tie in to the continuity and a shout out to series fans. And that was apparently the original plan. But forced re-writes has put them back in the hero spotlight. I would rather seem them in minor roles, honestly. Bridging the gap between the 4-6 and 7-9 continuities, then stepping aside to let the main characters of the new trilogy shine. I have a bad feeling about trying to make them the heroes again. Don't try to re-do the original movie.. Make something new that adds on to the universe.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #134 on: 30 Apr 2014, 07:42 »

I see her more as sticking with her government ties and not taking up the habit of the jedi.  Just because she could become a jedi doesnt mean she necessarily wants to.  For once I think it would be cool to see someone strong with the force that chooses not to walk down the jedi path.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #135 on: 30 Apr 2014, 11:00 »

As a diplomat?

"Elbonia does not want to attack us."

"Elbonia does not want to attack you."

"Elbonia wants to go home and rethink its life"
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Lupercal

« Reply #136 on: 30 Apr 2014, 16:21 »

Think people have said that Harrison Ford is having a "gigantic role" in Ep 7. Whatever that means. Bigger than Han Solo in 4-6?

I'm definitely excited about this, especially the inclusion of Andy Serkis (he may also be heading up the second unit like he did in The Hobbit).

GarandMarine - dude, personally I've seen enough of Scarlett Johansson. Don't need to shoe-horn her into Star Wars just because she looks like a woman from a series of books Disney have just said aren't canonical (hardly a coincidence with the timing of the cast being announced). What's with the dislike of Abrams? Everyone has their own opinions, but could he be any better/worse than say Lucas himself, or Richard Marquand?

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #137 on: 30 Apr 2014, 16:33 »

You mean since he fraked with Star Trek?
James The Kugai 

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #138 on: 30 Apr 2014, 20:03 »

GarandMarine - dude, personally I've seen enough of Scarlett Johansson. Don't need to shoe-horn her into Star Wars just because she looks like a woman from a series of books Disney have just said aren't canonical (hardly a coincidence with the timing of the cast being announced). What's with the dislike of Abrams? Everyone has their own opinions, but could he be any better/worse than say Lucas himself, or Richard Marquand?

It was an offhand comedic example of a classic Star Wars character, (Please note that games, comics, animated features, etc are included in the swath of the EU The Mouse just destroyed, not just the books.) more particularly, an extremely strong female lead character and bad ass that could have easily been folded into this reboot as opposed to one new female fortheloveofthegodsletherbealead character and... Carrie Fisher. Relax. Smoke a bowl. What ever you do down there to chill out. Play with poisonous snakes or something I guess, and of course it's not a coincidence. THAT WAS THE ENTIRE FRAKKING POINT!

As for Abrams he's just a shitty director. Ol'George's writing might have gone down hill on the Prequels but he's not a bad director (he only directed one Star Wars movie any way) his pre-Star Wars films prove his chops. THX-1138 his debut, in particular was quite good.

Abrams meanwhile has churned out a good movie NEVER. Seriously his entire filmography is shit unless you were big into Lost, which I always thought wasn't that good to begin with, and after the freaking travesty he committed against Star Trek... well I'm not exactly positive about Captain Lensflare's contribution to Star Wars.

Just remember this is the guy who took a show and universe based around the best things about humanity, an ideal future for us to look towards with hope*... and turned it into a standard issue action sci fi piece wearing the corpse of the former like a serial killer wearing a meat suit made of the flesh of his victims.

Seriously. Fuck that guy.

He's on the same level of filmmaker as the guy who did the Stallone era Judge Dredd.

Speaking of things that are a crime against it's source material...

*Yes I'm aware the series got significantly darker in and around DS9, but if you want to count that as a gritty reboot it's proof that good writers and directors can do gritty reboots of a franchise with panache and still keep the bright future caramel goodness at that heart of Star Trek in place.
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2014, 21:25 by GarandMarine »

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #139 on: 30 Apr 2014, 21:09 »

I couldn't have said it better myself.
James The Kugai 

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #141 on: 01 May 2014, 10:05 »

Sooooo... take this as the extremely unofficial and quite possibly wrong rumor that it is... But I read this morning that Lupita Nyong'o has been cast to play Asajj Ventress. If this is true, they have my money, hands down. Asajj was my favorite character from Clone Wars. The only thing that would make it better was if they revealed that she's been flying around the galaxy with Asoka Tano, being force sensitive bounty hunters...

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #142 on: 01 May 2014, 10:28 »

considering it takes place 30 years after return of the jedi, I don't think it'll be asajj ventress, but perhaps a character like her?

lets say Asoka was 16 when the republic fell, 31 during the battle of yavin, and 35 during the battle of endor, that would make her roughly 65 in SW7.  Asajj was probably in her 20s by my guess during the show so she'd be 70+.  I doubt they's have Lupita Nyong'o play her unless they want to age her by 50 years with make up.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #143 on: 01 May 2014, 10:55 »

Again, this is just a rumor. No confirmation at all. I have no idea what kind of lifespan a Dathomir would have...She could be in her prime in her 70s. Yoda was pretty spry during the prequels for being in his 800s when he wanted to be.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #144 on: 01 May 2014, 11:45 »

well Dathomirians are a hybrid of humans and Zabrak, which both have similar lifespans. Now there is a possibility that some dark side magic could keep her young if she advanced that far in her study of the dark side.  Considering her village was wiped out and I doubt she'd get much information from Sidious, I think it highly unlikely.  I chalk it up to fan made rumors like the ones in the Star Wars: Rebels thread. 

Now she is never seen in the movies and only in the TV show (and comics/novels) and it is entirely possible they may retcon it all and have her active in the post RotJ era.

Lupercal

« Reply #145 on: 01 May 2014, 11:48 »

You mean since he fraked with Star Trek?

Fraked?

It was an offhand comedic example of a classic Star Wars character, (Please note that games, comics, animated features, etc are included in the swath of the EU The Mouse just destroyed, not just the books.) more particularly, an extremely strong female lead character and bad ass that could have easily been folded into this reboot as opposed to one new female fortheloveofthegodsletherbealead character and... Carrie Fisher. Relax. Smoke a bowl. What ever you do down there to chill out. Play with poisonous snakes or something I guess, and of course it's not a coincidence. THAT WAS THE ENTIRE FRAKKING POINT!

As for Abrams he's just a shitty director. Ol'George's writing might have gone down hill on the Prequels but he's not a bad director (he only directed one Star Wars movie any way) his pre-Star Wars films prove his chops. THX-1138 his debut, in particular was quite good.

Abrams meanwhile has churned out a good movie NEVER. Seriously his entire filmography is shit unless you were big into Lost, which I always thought wasn't that good to begin with, and after the freaking travesty he committed against Star Trek... well I'm not exactly positive about Captain Lensflare's contribution to Star Wars.

Just remember this is the guy who took a show and universe based around the best things about humanity, an ideal future for us to look towards with hope*... and turned it into a standard issue action sci fi piece wearing the corpse of the former like a serial killer wearing a meat suit made of the flesh of his victims.

Seriously. Fuck that guy.

He's on the same level of filmmaker as the guy who did the Stallone era Judge Dredd.

Speaking of things that are a crime against it's source material...

*Yes I'm aware the series got significantly darker in and around DS9, but if you want to count that as a gritty reboot it's proof that good writers and directors can do gritty reboots of a franchise with panache and still keep the bright future caramel goodness at that heart of Star Trek in place.

Hmm. I do love a good toad-lickin'!

You of course, have an extremely valid point. I mean, I don't know, probably fired up and taking everything Star Wars a bit too literally when I posted that. Stay away from fan-forums, they fuck with  your head. Mara Jade was, with Kyle Katarn, an extremely cool character. She was pretty much the one massive, strong female lead from the EU (although there is Dalaa, Mon Mothma, Bant and a slew of other more minor characters). In fact a Winter character would do really well (think Brienne from Game of Thrones). I think there is still a female yet to be cast based on the casting call. Star Wars is in dire need of a good female character that doesn't only serve to be the love interest of one of the many male characters. Don't get me wrong, Leia and Padme are badass, but the new trilogy is going to need someone to be consistently strong. Mara Jade could've worked. I'm assuming they'll take that blueprint and run with it in the new trilogy.

Ventress? Really? She seemed like a kind of run-of-the-mill Sith to me, solely created to battle Jedi and act as a buffer between the jedi and Dooku.

As for Abrams' direction...I think the difference is he is a fan of Star Wars and did Star Trek for the money, I assume. He's extremely capable of fan-service (good/bad thing, take your pick) and yeah, his TV work has been up and down, and he's done some dodgey shakey-cam films (Cloverfield, Super 8 ) but I didn't think Star Trek or Into Darkness were bad, in fact, I quite liked them. But they weren't particularly shy about their using women for eye candy either, Uhura being the only exception.

Comparisons to Lucas will be inescapable - I didn't think much of American Graffiti to be honest. He's a story/screenwriter at heart. Direction...it comes second to his amazing ability to build believable worlds (Star Wars, Indy). And it's those worlds we'll be seeing again come 2015.
« Last Edit: 01 May 2014, 11:56 by Lupercal »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #146 on: 01 May 2014, 12:32 »

Dalaa. Oh fuck don't even remind me about Dalaa. Hands down one of the best best villains to grace the EU ever. Holy shit she was bad ass. Thrawn? Forget that blue wimp, the copper haird crazy was one of the top villains period.

Also Padme was bad ass like the American South West receives heavy rain. In short spurts during certain times of the year but otherwise a dry, barren wasteland.

Both of Abram's Star Trek movies under any other franchise name were... okay... at best. They were however terrible Star Trek movies. Winter would be bad ass. Wedge and Tyco (backed up by Biggs and Wes) would also be great.
« Last Edit: 01 May 2014, 13:06 by GarandMarine »

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #147 on: 01 May 2014, 12:36 »

They were however terrible Star Wars movies.

That's because they were Star Trek movies.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #148 on: 01 May 2014, 13:06 »

Typo corrected >.>;

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #149 on: 01 May 2014, 14:39 »

Considering its directed by JJ Abrams (I liked both new star treks and he snuck R2D2 in the first one he did) and its written by the guy who did The Empire Strikes Back (my favorite film of all time), I am hopeful.

Also, other than the Rogue Squadron book, I was never really that into the EU.  :-\  In fact the Force unleashed games (though fun to play) really pissed me off and made no sense to me.  Making Galen's family crest the explanation for the rebel alliance symbol cheapened it for me.  It was just cool looking with no explanations, looks like a fireball.  But making it his symbol was just utter nonsense.
not to mention (end game spoiler for force unleashed)
(click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up